Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,640 members, 7,809,400 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria (22370 Views)

Start Up Ideas / 5 Start-up Ideas For Your Home-based Business / 7 Ways To Fund Your Business Start Up Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 8:46am On Jan 02, 2017
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

On returning to Nigeria after 5 years of studying in the United Kingdom, I noticed how seriously under-developed the Nigerian society was in terms of the unavailability of certain basic amenities and the seeming adverse effect of unemployment among the young.

I kept hearing people say that there are no Jobs in Nigeria, and all the stories about needing to know people at the top to get a chance at getting a good Job. It never made much sense to me. I imagined a scenario which does attempts to explain the absurdity of the status quo.

A man comes home and sees the grasses overgrown, gutter filled with rubbish, the garden untidy with plastic and other pieces of paper trashed on the floor, inside the house upside down with tables and chairs upturned as though there was a teenage students fight at a night party the previous night. In summary the whole house is a mess (chaos).

The man enters into his house wondering what must have happened only to be cheerfully welcomed by his grown children and other members of his household who seemed happy to have him back. He wondered why they were all relaxed, at home, why the house was the way it was. Only to be given a most absurd response.

There are no Jobs......

Does this sound familiar? A country in a mess, things seem upside down and in same vein, we still have a problem of unemployment??

Leads me to the following questions,
Do you want a Job, or do you just want to be paid
Do you want to work, or do you just want to be fed.

While it may be possible to explain or attempt to make an excuse for such high level of unemployment where it appears there is a lot of work to be done, I believe there is a whole lot we all can do as Nigerians if we accept to take responsibility for ourselves, our people, our environment and the Country at large.

In the past one year I have seen loads of opportunities and had several ideas which can offer opportunities for business development and employment generation. To have ideas and imagine noble innovative solutions could come cheaply to some and not so cheaply to another, but it is much more work to bring such ideas to fruition. There is a whole lot of other things to put into consideration and high level of commitment and passion would be required as well to remain focused.

This project is hereby intended to share some of my ideas with everyone, hoping that as many that would try or commit themselves to making any one of these ideas come to life, would be able to provide both direct and indirect employment as well as help the local economy.

I would be stating the Ideas and would cover the following topical areas as regards the idea.

1. The Idea
2. Why Is there a market for this?
3. The Business model Canvas
-The value proposition
-Customer segment
-Customer Channels
-Customer Relationship
-Key Activities
-Key Resources
-Key Partners
-Cost structure
-Revenue streams
4. Competition
5. Risk
6. Financial estimates

So, every wednesday, all through the year 2017, one business idea will be presented here.

Follow on twitter @mrebis

Source -http://agapedevcon.wixsite.com/home/single-post/2017/01/01/New-Project-52-weeks-52-Business-Start-up-Ideas

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by PWEETYWIZZY(f): 8:48am On Jan 02, 2017
This is quite informatv and useful
Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 5:53am On Jan 04, 2017
52weeks52ideas - Business Startup Idea 1

January 4, 2017

@mrebis

1. The Idea

To begin our series, we start with one industry that will always remain, irrespective of the state of the economy: The Food industry. There is a common saying in Nigeria that goes like this; Man must ‘Wack’ (i.e. Man must eat). Food is highly important and it’s among the three (3) basic needs, along with clothing and shelter. In times of scarcity, the hardest hit businesses are the luxury ones. It is often said that it is hard to go wrong in food business, unless of-course you fail in food quality, hygiene, service delivery and presentation, then you should not even be in that business in the first place.

I present to you the first business start up idea in this series.

Different flavoured Coated Peanut snack

While you may not be so interested in this very business idea, you could still read through and get a feel of my thoughts, which may be useful to you in some other way

If you have stayed in Nigeria for a while, and also depending on your location, you may have come across this snack. It is probably the highest selling brand of coated peanuts being in Nigeria. Something happened recently and I had to describe this product to a friend and one funny way they could remember it was the amount of air that was used in packing it compared with the coated peanuts inside. The amount of air inside the pack is intentionally added to ensure that the packaged food product stay fresh and good for as long as possible.

However, this post is not about the Burger branded coated peanut, this is about something new that can be created like it.

One can introduce a brand new coated peanut product with different flavours such as, chocolate, Strawberry flavoured coated peanut, etc. To spice it up one could add some pepper (chilli). So this is the product we kick of this series with. An indigenous (made in Nigeria) well packed and branded flavoured peppered (not-peppered) coated peanut.

Production

Here is a thread on Naira land on how to make coated peanut

https://www.nairaland.com/1369104/peanut-burger

Another link found

http://www.rosyomeje.com/2016/09/how-to-prepare-peanut-or-groundnut-burger-snack.html

Peanut coating machine as seen on alibaba.com

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/peanut-coating-machine.html

There are some videos on YouTube on how to prepare this snack as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw4nyPlE4Hg&t=8s

From the video, you can see how the Pot-like device is attached to a base and made to spin. You could show this to an engineer or a technically savvy person who will guide you on how best to locally construct your own peanut coating device. You will need a welder, a DC motor, the Pot among other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUqtGUv970c

You should not go into this or any business if you are not ready to work, as it would also require your commitment and patience.

There is a very large market for this, depending on the scale one desires and is able to operate. This is a good part to this idea, because it can provide small and medium scale employment with a relatively moderate initial capital and could be a large employer of labour if the operations are carried out in a large scale (Capital intensive).

The existing popular ‘burger’ brand of coated peanut appears to be manufactured outside Nigeria and is being sold in different parts of the World. Last Google search showed a manufacturer in Accra Ghana.

In recent times, there seems to be a scarcity of this product, which could be as a result of the previous importers having challenges due to the economic situation in Nigeria or the manufacturers could be preferring to send it to the US or UK where they could have a more favourable market. There is also a French inscription on the pack, meaning it is highly possible it is being sold in some other French speaking Countries. Or, probably they are having fewer retailers buy the product to sell. Another possibility is that the distribution may not be fully covering the whole of the country.

As a result of this, there is now a sort of chance that can be taken advantage of by a new-coated peanut product.

An example of a product not like the peanut but equally stepping up in popularity among Nigerians is the Mini-me chin-chin.

There was a year Nigerian female Singer Tiwa Savage took a break from her music career, and Chidinma (miss kedike) and Omawunmi as well were not really pushing out massive releases, A new female act emerged to fill the perceived vacuum. Her name is Yemi Alade (looking for my Johny). Same thoughts are applicable here and in other innovative pursuits. There are products in Nigeria that are not so popular or not doing so well, mainly because they are imported and their prices have in recent times doubled (fall in the naira value). This makes room for new made in Nigeria products (alternatives) or substitutes.

This article suggests that there is probably a market for a substitute coated peanut product which could be given extra attractiveness by producing different flavours, packing it in well printed and transparent packaging so that the customers can see through. This can effectively compete with the more popular brands if there is sufficient thoughts and effort given to the product with a good competitive advantage.

It is a call for as many who can, to consider this and carryout their own research and verifications.

The following business model canvas will give a broad picture of aspects to consider in creating a business around the coated peanut production. Could be adapted and interpreted by the intended business person, whether small time side hustler, small and medium scale enterprise operator. This may not be all encompassing but presents a start point, which could be improved upon.

-The value proposition

Provision of healthy snacks that could be very handy for consumers in those periods when they either just need something to snack on or really need something light to eat before they have a proper meal.

-Customer segment

There is hardly a defined customer segment for this product as it can cut across a wide spectrum of customers. The lower class, mid and upper classes could be a prospective customer. This is however important because it will play a part in how the product is packaged and the type of marketing strategy to employ. The good product branding (design and packaging) will influence how customers perceive the product and place value on it.

To further paint a picture of the customer segment

Drivers and commuters who patronise roadside snack retailers

Could be included in kids’ lunch packs (schools & Churches)

Those who normally buy the ‘Burger’ branded coated peanut.

-Customer Channels

Direct sales

Online Sales

Marketers, distributors and retailers

Customer service centres

-Customer Relationship

Mass – as it relates to the general mass of end consumers. This depends on the scale and volume of units produced and pushed to market.

Mass/Direct – There could be direct relationship as it relates to dealings with retailers and distributors that play the middlemen role of delivering your product to the end consumers.

-Key Activities

Manufacturing and Production

Marketing and Sales promotion

Logistics

Financial accounting

Research and Development (New varieties & process improvements)

-Key Resources

Financial (Start-Up &Working capital)

Field sales force & Customer service reps

Business developers

Quality control personnel

Legal consultants

Logistics and Operations manager

-Key Partners

Bank and other Investors

Government regulatory agencies(NAFDAC)

- Cost structure

Financial (Start-Up &Working capital)

Marketing and promotions

Salary and commissions

Registrations, legal (copyrights) and other licences

-Revenue streams

- Sale of product

4. Competition

There are substitute products in the market that could serve as stern competition to the New flavoured coated peanut, some of them are

There is a coated peanut product (selling for 10 naira a piece)

The Mini-me chin chin

Gala (all the various types)

Coconut crunchy (something like that)

In summary other food snacks sold in traffic (alternatives to this product)

As of today, there are no strong barriers to enter this market, so it will be open for new competitors to arise and hustle for market share. With a population of over 170 million people, I would imagine that there is big room for all as long as you come to the market with a good competitive advantage and well worked market strategy and if you think globally, there are markets outside Nigeria to serve.

5. Risk

Government policies and its effects on the prices of materials used. E.g flour, production equipment. It will be good to look more into this and how it affects the business

This is may not be appropriate as a main hustle business as the profit margin might not be enough for some people to live on.

Competing against a stronger already brand will not be an easy task as they could easily diversify and start producing their own version of your own product variety.

The bigger brands could penetrate in their marketingto reach the local environment you may be serving.

Cash crunch and low spending power of the buying population (Recession)

6. Financial estimates

The scale one decides to start with would largely determine the cost of operating this business.

But with as little as approximately 15, 000 naira, one can start on a small scale.

Small scale

Pots and other utensils

Production materials (food items) - Flour, egg, milk, flavouring, sugar etc.

On a bigger scale,

You will need more money, and also need to design some forms of automated device that will help in production (spinning the flour mixture)

Automation should not scare you, as there are people in Nigeria that can design and manufacture the device you will need.

A well designed and printed wrap (well branded packaging)

Distribution network (personal vans or 3PL)

End notes

The goal is to point some people in this direction in whatever scale they can afford so that we can at least help the unemployment situation we find ourselves today. Same thoughts and processes can be applied in other sectors of the food industry. Where there is a scarcity of one product, there is an opportunity for another one.

The problem has never been the problem, but the way we perceive (our perception of) the problems we face.

Remember having the idea is just the beginning; there is a whole lot more work to be done.

Thanks for joining me in this journey. If you have any thoughts, comments, ideas, feel free to share… I am open to learning of other ways I can be of help, or be better. Or if you have an idea and you don't mind sharing, get in touch. mrebis1@gmail.com

Keep in touch

like the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/AgapeDevConsultants

Follow on twitter @mrebis

Stay blessed, and best wishes till we you meet again next week….

Hint on Idea 2 - We will be doing something about our environment.

http://agapedevcon.wixsite.com/home/single-post/2017/01/04/52weeks52ideas---Business-Startup-Idea-1

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 9:17am On Jan 11, 2017
Start-Up Idea number 2

Waste disposal

Let me once again introduce you to a country with a very high rate of unemployment, Nigeria. It is not a secret in the sense that it is a common saying in Nigeria, that there are no Jobs. If this translates to mean that there is nothing to do, wouldn’t this present a country that is so perfectly working well, and neatly organized, having little or no vacancies for new workers or improvement upon what the situation is??

Well

This is happens to not be the case with Nigeria as the following pictures will show you what is obtainable across different cities in Nigeria.

Before we see the pictures, let me share something that happened.

Some time ago, I was on www.Nairaland.com forum, where I saw a picture of one pedestrian bridge in Port Harcourt Nigeria, which was littered with rubbish, dumped there. This picture was posted by a Young Nigerian who seemed to want to slight the then leaders of the State as inferred from his post.

A thought came to my mind, What if? Just what if, instead of just taking a pic and sharing it on social media with derogatory remarks against the leadership of the state, He got some of his friends, they wear (hire) reflective vests, took a picture of the bad state at the top of the pedestrian bridge, then took a picture of them cleaning, and finally a picture of the new look. Then afterwards, juxtapose or pic-mix the three pictures, citing,

Before, During and After.

Contact XoXo cleaning professionals

0803X –Bleep-Bleep for your Corporate, Industrial, and residential cleaning services.

Imagine sharing that on Social media and it goes viral. Right there and then, a Business has been formed.

Remember, even if you may not be interested in this, you could read along to follow my thoughts just incase it could lead you into something else you may be inspired to do.

Lets see some pictures of some sightings in different cities in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 9:21am On Jan 11, 2017
Pix 1 douglas road Owerri
Pix 2 Lekki
Pix 3 Ikwerre road Ph

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 9:25am On Jan 11, 2017
The pix of Lekki, Lagos, some weeks after picture was taken, there were reports of some flooding at some parts of Lekki.

So Ebis, what is the Business Idea here.

I will share this idea in a way, anyone who is interested could choose what area, and what scale they choose to run or explore this Business opportunity.

Check around your environment, outside your gate, or somewhere in your estate, compound in Nigeria, you may find a big drum, or trash bins positioned for use by either just your home, or shared with other people living in your neighborhood. While this may be so for some, this is not so for many.

There are environments in cities around Nigeria that do not have such bins and arrangements. There are market locations too, where people carelessly dump their rubbish by the road because of the excuse of not having such bins available for their use.

Whilst this is supposed to be a Job handled by the local councils at the local government levels, there seems to be a huge gap in meeting this important need.

You do not need to have too much money to be able to join in on this.

Aspects of this Business

• Find out how to break in through the existing cabals
• Understand the supply chain
• Find areas with waste unattended to
• Know the closest Government dumpsite
• Rent a truck (Pickup van)
• Get your workers
• Register as a waste disposal contractor
• Submit your proposal stating the areas (location) you want to cover
• Ensure you understand the total cost of operations
• Enter agreement with local government to collect revenue from the service users.

So, in areas where they don’t currently have waste disposal contractors visiting regularly to dispose of their waste, you can seek to break in and offer such services. It could be in some remote settlements, markets, schools, etc.

It is important to note that, in an area where they already have a waste disposal company operating, trying to break in will be contending or competing with people who may be having that as their means of livelihood. You can displace them if you have better service delivery, or you could go look for other areas in serious need of such disposal service.

So the operation is simple.

Get the trash from the bins (where provided), if not, your team could figure out how to get them on your van (truck), and then head straight to the dumpsite.

You don’t even have to own a truck, you can rent one for the day of the week your team will be working.
You don’t also need to have all the money to start this, 2 or more people can pool their resources to make this work.

Government interferences or not having money as excuse

Well you may not need the government to pay you for this, but will need to get express permission to collect money from the people whose waste your company is disposing through the local government council tax/revenue collection teams.

From the above submissions, and as can be evidently seen in different areas in cities around Nigeria, there is a good opportunity for this business. In some instances, people even dispose waste at the middle of the road.

A good disposal of waste is important with regards to general public health, and waste disposal into gutters and open drains does pose grave danger as they limit proper drainage, which increases the likelihood of flood.

• Value proposition
Clean, regular, efficient and well timed waste disposal service providers, that will ensure waste bins are attended to before they spill over in good time living the environment clean and thus improving public health.

• Customer Segment
Leaders/Owners of settlements with irregular, or no waste disposal operators
Heads of Associations of Market operators and areas with high human activities and insufficient waste disposal provisions

• Customer Channels
Estate management
Estate and neighborhood associations
Customer service centers (could be virtual - Phone), but better when there is a physical location the customers could go in for complaints or enquiries where they can have direct interaction with a customer support assistant.

• Customer Relationship
Direct
Indirectly through the revenue collectors

• Key activities
Waste disposal
Logistics & operations management
General business management (Finance and Admin)

• Key resources
Startup funds
Truck/Pickup van
Workers
Customer support assistants

• Key partners
The Local government authorities
Government waste management agencies (regulatory agencies)
Estate or neighborhood associations
Banks and financial services
Dumpsite managements

• Cost structure
Registration and Licensing
Truck/Pickup Van rental
Salary and wages for workers
Work tools (Nose mask, hand gloves, work overalls, shovels, etc.)

• Revenue Streams
Sanitation dues payment collected from the service users

4. Competition

To break in to this business as pointed earlier, one might have to compete to already existing service providers.
It is important therefore to carry adequate research to know whom the operators are and the areas they cover. Some times the competition will be a government owned agency, which may be hugely understaffed or just inefficient.
One must therefore apply to support the government by taking over the operations of waste disposal in some areas where the government agency might have been failing or too stretched to cope.

5. Risk

Government interference and changes in policies can hugely affect this business. Example, if you start operating and serving an area, due to the possibility of executive recklessness in Nigeria, you could just wake up to meet a new government agency that will offer same service you are offering but with much more support, and that could spell doom for your business.

So it is important to do all you can to be properly registered, documented and enter into agreements that can protect you. Join unions and associations that can speak up when your business is unfairly treated.

Get business insurance were possible.

6. Financial estimates

I do not have exact figures people pay as dues for sanitation, as this may vary from place to place. On cost of starting up

Check online and do more research on cost associated in the operations of this business as highlighted in the cost structure segment of the Business model canvas section of this article.

Check
Cost of Truck/Pickup van rental
Wages for workers
Registration with Government
Small office rental (Customer service center)
Dedicated phone line provision.

End Notes

In this Article, we have seen and explore the possibilities of joining in on this very important business value chain and I believe if more people entered into this Business, it will do a whole lot of good in creating employment and in keeping our environment clean.

Thanks for joining me in this series, See you next week as I show you one of those Businesses you can do with little or no initial startup funds. Comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

Stay in touch, twitter @mrebis

Read more:
https://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en/waste-an-obstacle-on-a-megacitys-way-to-development

https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/10/imo-state-govt-abandons-huge-refuse-dump-on-the-road-to-get-back-at-owerri-people-who-have-been-battling-the-state-government-over-the-relocation-of-the-market/

4 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:58am On Jan 18, 2017
Idea 3 of 52 - Graphics and Print media Consultant

1. The Idea

This is one Business you can start with little or no funds. I once came across this idea many years ago in a Newspaper article and it made some sense, and so I would share in this weeks Idea 3 post of our 52 ideas series.

All you would need to have is the ability to talk (sell your service), negotiate (your cut) and deliver (job well done)

Step 1.
Go to any printer’s shop, preferably the ones with industry type machines capable of doing big jobs and can offer reasonable discounts for bulk jobs.
Introduce yourself as a Print consultant and ask to know how the printer charges. Take note of their charges, and negotiate the discounts they can offer for bulk jobs. Also ask for sample prints they have done in the past. Ask to go with some samples.

Step 2
Get in touch with a very good graphics designer. Ask for his/her rates they charge. Negotiate discount for the referring jobs to them. Ask to get samples of past Job they have designed.

Step 3
Understand the whole supply chain.
You get a Print Job – You contact the designer to design – get the design and meet the printer to Print the Job – You deliver the finished Printed Job to your Client.

Step 4
Having secured your partners in your supply chain, you will next need to look for the Job. You can advertise on Job listing sites, you could spread the word to family, friends and anyone you meet of your ability to deliver quality print Jobs.
When you get the Job, ensure to deliver as promised. To get quality finished print Jobs, you will need to factor that in choosing the other players in your supply chain (Graphics designers, Printer).

Step 5
Continue to get Jobs done through the steps 1-4 listed, while you take classes on Graphics designing by the side. As you get better at designing, you will soon cut out the step 2 and increase your revenue by handling the designing Job yourself. As your earnings come in, try your best to save some towards purchasing your own printer machine, so that in due time you can cut out step 1 and print the jobs yourself. Soon you will be running the entire supply chain by yourself. This would all require focus and a great deal of commitment on your part.

2. The Market

If you take a trip to the area in your city where most of the bulk printer businesses are operated, you will see the buzzing activities and could get more ideas on what sorts of things are mostly printed. Every weekend, there could easily be a Burial ceremony, wedding, conference, Church and other religious event that would need Print Jobs. Program of activities, flyers, banners, handbills, tracts, posters, business cards, invitation cards, offering envelopes etc, are some examples of items that would need print services.

3. The Business

Value Proposition – Quality graphics design and print services
Customer Segment – Event organisers, religious & corporate organisations, Political parties, schools, etc and a host of other scenarios where print jobs are required.
Customer Channels – Phone, Online (Social media), Events, Business listing sites and pages.
Customer Relationship - Direct
Key Activities – Selling, Negotiating, customer service, Designing, Printing, Delivering, Quality control, logistics
Key Resources – Graphics designer, Bulk printer (Direct imaging), Customer service assistants, sales team, delivery team, dedicated phone lines, etc
Key Partners – Bulk Printer service providers, corporate and religious organisations, Graphics designer (freelancers), event vendors, business listing companies, etc,
Cost structure – Call credit, transport, advert placements, networking expenses
Revenue – Commission and referral bonuses

4. Competition

Most of the time, in places where they have need of regular printing jobs, like in churches for their events, there is a high probability that somebody would already have the Contract to Print for them. So in order to break in, it is important to have a strong competitive advantage strong enough to displace the existing person offering the service.

Better Service Delivery – Regular calls to give client update on the job stages,
Prompt delivery, Quality print jobs could serve as some competitive advantage.

5. Risks

In the print business as in other businesses, certain unforeseen circumstances could happen. The printer could print a very poor quality Job and could expect you to still pay for it. Some delays could happen that could cost you money. In all, be prepared and plan for such. Enter into signed agreements where necessary and state clearly who will take responsibility on certain failures in the print job delivery.

6. Financial estimates

Dedicated phone line.
Call credit
Transport fare
Advert placements at business listing sites,
Networking expenses for meetings and attending events

For a start, you may not need to spend much on the above listed, however, having a good network or seeking to expand your network will go a long way in securing new jobs.

Summary

This 3rd Business Startup idea is intended to help those unemployed, ready to work individual who has little or no startup fund for Business. We saw that from strategically planning and implementing this idea, one can eventually get their own Business enterprise running. This could be apply in other sectors as well, where you can act as the middle man, look for who can produce, and take the produced item to meet the demand.

There’s only so much that can be said…

For more information, comments or feedbacks, get in touch.

Follow Twitter: @Mrebis
Email : mrebis1@gmail.com

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by YesNoMaybe: 6:20am On Jan 18, 2017
Honestly, I'd thought that this was going to be the typical stereotypical nonsense I usually see on this forum, but You proved me wrong. I am following with keen interest. Thanks.

7 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Acidosis(m): 7:44am On Jan 18, 2017
Seriously I don't understand why this isn't on the front-page.

3 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by onyeudo234(m): 8:20am On Jan 18, 2017
wow this is beautiful. As for the first business idea, I made a lot of money during my NYSC days with it. it's really good

2 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2017
onyeudo234:
wow this is beautiful. As for the first business idea, I made a lot of money during my NYSC days with it. it's really good

Thanks

Yeah, the good thing about that is anyone can start that with minimal funds.

I still know ppl till this date making and selling in their NYSC lodges.

I personally experimented it, had difficulties in making them not stick together. Although I have been told how to make it better.
Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:33pm On Jan 18, 2017
YesNoMaybe:
Honestly, I'd thought that this was going to be the typical stereotypical nonsense I usually see on this forum, but You proved me wrong. I am following with keen interest. Thanks.

Thanks for following.

1 Like

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:34pm On Jan 18, 2017
Acidosis:
Seriously I don't understand why this isn't on the front-page.

Still a long way to go. Just 3 of 52 now.

1 Like

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 11:18am On Jan 25, 2017
Idea 4 of 52 - Value addition – Packaged Sliced Carrot[size=18pt][/size]

1. The Idea

There seems to be a lot of Carrots in circulation this season, and I kept seeing the sellers from Northern Nigeria with their wheelbarrows loaded with carrots.

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 11:20am On Jan 25, 2017
This led me to making the fourth (4th) business startup Idea in our series to be about Value Addition – Repackaged Carrots.

This idea is about getting your supply of Carrots from a Northern Nigeria farmer in wholesale price, then look for a way to get it sliced or diced. This could be done using a machine or by hand (more labour intensive and time consuming). After the carrot is sliced or cut into cubes or little chunks, the Carrot is repackaged into suitable waterproof bags (leather –as some Nigerians call it) then sealed. For better effect, attach your label, which should contain your contact details, ingredients used and other relevant information (e.g. NAFDAC number, best use date.)

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 11:31am On Jan 25, 2017
The packaged sliced carrots will then be refrigerated and supplied to supermarkets, departmental stores, Malls (Spar, shoprite) etc. so that people can easily buy them and use in their food preparation. Some applications of sliced carrots are shown in the images below.

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 11:31am On Jan 25, 2017
As seen above, it can be packed with other vegetables to get a fine blend of Mixed vegetables.

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 11:33am On Jan 25, 2017
Here is a good thread on Nairaland where you can get more information on getting Agro products from the North for business. You could check it out later.

https://www.nairaland.com/735694/how-deal-agric-products-north

Your indomie noodles can come to life with the addition of some sliced carrots.

Fancy making Moroccan salad, follow this link

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 11:34am On Jan 25, 2017
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-moroccan-spicy-carrot-salad-recipe-snap-20170119-story.html

So a Summary of the Business Idea;

1) Understand the whole supply chain before jumping in.
2) Get you a Carrot Supplier, Negotiate cost and discounts
3) Process it (Wash, Dice, Package, Seal, Label)
4) Supply to Supermarkets and other departmental stores

N/B: Some people will prefer the very fresh carrot that they buy themselves and prepare by themselves. However, there are probably lots of others who do not mind, plus we have a sizeable population in Nigeria that could be served by your product. Think Big, look at the brighter side, but still consider other concerns.

2. The Market

It is important to do your research on the available market before committing resources into any Business venture. With this one, you should go check at the Supermarkets and other Stores with refrigerating capacities and sections (Shoprite, Spar) so you can have an idea of what it is they currently have and what it would entail for you to supplier your packaged sliced cook ready carrots.
The demand may vary from place to place so it is important one is equipped with the relevant research information.

3. The Business

Value Proposition: Well prepared, ready to cook, sliced carrots, preserved and packaged in such a way that the nutrients are intact.
Customer Segment:
Distribution Channels: Phone sales, Sales force, Middle agents and Distributors, Online (social media, blogs etc.), TV, radio and other adverts.
Customer Relationship: Meet the big stores directly, understand their needs and requirements and do all to meet them.
Key Activities: Buying, Food processing and Packaging, Selling, Logistics, Quality control.
Key Resources: Production equipment and facility, Workforce (Marketers, Food processing support staffs, logistics team)
Key Partners: Wholesale Carrot sellers, Carrot Farmers, Stores, Supermarkets and other retail outlets, Government Food standards Agencies (NAFDAC)
Cost Structure: Production equipment (cutters, slicing machines), Logistics (Transportation), Registrations & Licensing, Health and safety certifications, Marketing and Sales promotion, Salary and commissions.
Revenue Stream: Sales made from selling the Product.

4. Competition

There seems to be no strong barriers to enter into this business, which makes the possibility of competition high as many others could start this and serve as competition. Whatever the case may be, you would need to seek for competitive advantages over others. This can come from, lower cost, more availability than others, good customer service (after sales support), consistent supply to big customer. Etc.

5. Risks

Be sure to understand the carrot season cycle in Nigeria and how the wholesale prices would be affected, so that you do not have a cash-flow problem or incidence of not meeting contractual agreement for customer supply.
The restive situation in the Northern part of Nigeria as regards to feuds between farmers and herdsmen could easily affect supply of the carrot at any moment in time.

6. Financial estimates

One would need to carry out research on the associated cost in the following areas:
• Cost of Truck-load of Carrots. Small scale startup would involve less cost.
• Processing equipment. (Slicing , Sealing machine, etc.)
• Staff (food processing assistants, sales, delivery)
• Registrations, licensing, health and safety certifications

Summary

Add value to that carrot and resell it. Join in this probably profitable food supply chain.

Remember it is important to seek professional advice before jumping into any Business venture.

There’s only so much that can be said in one article…

So until next week, Stay inspired…

Twitter: @Mrebis
Email: mrebis1@gmail.com

4 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 1:17am On Feb 01, 2017
HAPPY NEW MONTH - FEBRUARY

Idea 5 of 52 - Mobile Toilets (Accessorized with Perfumes)
Written by MrEbis

1. The Idea

Necessity they say is the mother of inventions. I believe if we observe our environments and see those things that we lack, or seem to be unavailable, whether due to non-performance by Governments (community leaders), or a collective negligence towards basic societal needs, We will be presented with opportunities to innovate and make positive impact.

Whilst you may have ready access to clean and healthy Toilets, some others may not be privileged to afford such luxury. Sometimes, some people could have an urgent need to use the toilet in an environment that could be far from home, e.g, in a Market place, etc.

This has led to the 5th Business Startup Idea in our 52 weeks series being – Mobile Toilets.

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 1:20am On Feb 01, 2017
Idea Summary

• Understand the whole processes involved and total cost before jumping on this.
• Look for a location that would need such. E.g. Markets, Motor parks, Abbatoir etc
• Get all the licenses and registrations necessary
• Find where to rent or buy a mobile toilet unit or units
• Also arrange for where to dispose of the waste. (Their daily charges et al)
• Mount your mobile toilet stations manned by an attendant.
• As people pay, they are presented with assorted perfumes to wear (just spray) as a bonus.

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 1:21am On Feb 01, 2017
2. The Market

Some market places in Nigeria are really crowded and rowdy. The traders mostly spend the whole of their day out in the Market and could have need of a clean, well-attended toilet. Some public places, markets and motor parks may have toilets built, but may not be in the best of conditions. You would have to look around, ask questions and see places where this service would be appreciated for a fee.

3. The Business

Value Proposition: Clean, and well attended to, mobile conveniences services.
Customer Segment: Traders and visitors to public market places,
Distribution Channels: Flyer distribution to all the traders and occupants of the park, markets, Word of mouth, etc.
Customer Relationship: Direct
Key Activities: Cleaning, Waste treatment and disposal
Key Resources: Startup funds, the mobile toilet and other work related equipment, Workforce (attendant) etc.
Key Partners: Market management, Motor park associations, Government regulatory agency.
Cost Structure: Mobile toilet rental/Purchase, setup and installation, Logistics (Transportation), Registrations & Licensing, Hygiene certifications, Marketing and promotions, Salary for attendant, Toiletries, Perfumes and Air fresheners.
Revenue Stream: Service charges paid by service users

4. Competition

If the public place has an eatery in close proximity, this could be a an alternative for some prospective customers to use for their conveniences, although they may need to make a purchase. It is therefore important the mobile toilet operator knows exactly who the target customer is so that the operator will focus resources on better satisfying the target segment and see those that would go look for a nearby eatery as outside the target customer segment.

5. Risks

Some markets, public events, motor parks could have fluctuations in volume of visitors; this can affect regularity of business activities. Good research, planning and forecasting would be needed to properly mitigate and cope with this.
Government and revenue collector agencies could interfere with operations. Nurture the relationship and settle those who matter.
Keep proper accounts and ensure the taxes and other levies are duly paid to avoid interruption of operations.

6. Financial estimates

A few things to consider while you make your estimates.
License and registrations
Mobile toilet purchase/rental
Installation and setup
Cost of waste disposal
Salary for workers
Toiletries
Service charge per use (100 naira), you decide

Summary

This Weeks’ Startup idea discussed about building a Business by providing convenience services for those in need of clean, affordable and hygiene safe environment to ease themselves while out and about, far away from home.

3 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2017
Idea 6 of 52 - Bring Back Our Ice-Cream vans

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 10:09pm On Feb 07, 2017
The Idea

Bring back our Ice cream vans. I remember while growing up, we were attracted to the sound of the Ice-cream van as it played some tunes through its speakers. For some reasons, they seem to have reduced or even disappeared in some places despite the fact that most cities in Nigeria are still warm (‘Hot’) almost all year round. Where did they go? What happened to them? If you have some answers feel free to comment.

We have ‘Coldstones’ but they are quite expensive and not mobile. They don’t come to where the market is. There are however men on bicycles selling fan-ice and other products. These are good sources of employment and could employ more people. If you can produce something that looks like this below at an affordable price in this hot Nigeria it is highly probable that you would be profitably in Business.

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 10:10pm On Feb 07, 2017
A friend pointed this out to me (through Startupdemands.com), that with the Heat in Nigeria, one would expect Ice cream to be one of the fastest selling products. That led me to presenting this as the 6th Business start-up idea in our series of 52 Business ideas for Nigeria. Remember the aim of this is to inspire and encourage more people to explore and create new businesses that could help with employment creation and revenue generation.

• To start this you may not need to buy your own Van, rather you could rent one, or partner with a van owner and agree on payment or revenue sharing formula.
• If a Van is to expensive, you can try a small vehicle and design your space the way you want.
• Get the equipment you would need and raw materials.
• Be sure to do proper research and costing before beginning so you can fix your price appropriately to get good profit margin.
• Scout for the best locations where you could have most sales, e.g. schools, markets, churches (Sunday afternoon after church), etc.
• Know the legal requirements and pay the registration and taxes.
• Hygiene Certification - Ensure the place you prepare your Ice cream is very clean.

The idea is to do what you a can at the level or scale you can conveniently afford and manage. Add colour to what you do, make it different, and standout. Work on having a strong competitive advantage.

Making Custard-Based Ice Cream
1. Mix your base. ...
2. Bring 1 cup of milk to a gentle simmer. ...
3. Stir the hot milk into the egg mixture. ...
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and heat it. ...
5. Chill the custard. ...
6. Add 1 cup heavy cream and mix-ins. ...
7. Freeze the ice cream in an ice cream maker.
For more indepth details on how to make Ice-creams follow this link
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ice-Cream

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 10:10pm On Feb 07, 2017
2. The Market

It appears there is a market for this, as the people using bicycles to sell fan ice and other products seem to be selling, however remember to do your research before jumping at any business idea. These vans may be visible in some cities and almost non-existent in some others. Abuja, Kano and Kadunna as well as other northern states will be a good market to explore.

3. The Business

Value Proposition: Joy and happy feeling that comes from having cold, tasty and yummy ice cream scoops in a hot day.
Customer Segment: Potential customers are kids, adults, everyone in the heat and thirsty, at schools, playgrounds, churches, inter-house competitions, wedding receptions, etc.
Distribution Channels: Vans, or other vehicles that can serve as a mobile vendor for the Ice cream.
Customer Relationship: Direct
Key Activities: Selling, marketing, food processing (Ice cream), customer service etc.
Key Resources: Van, Workforce (driver, sales attendant, etc.)
Key Partners: The owners of the locations frequented, (event centres, schools, churches, mosques, Neighborhood Associations, etc.)
Cost Structure: Van rental, Staff pay Equipment and raw materials, Licenses and registration
Revenue Stream: Payments for Ice cream served

4. Competition

Knowing the customer segment you are selling to is key to knowing the competition that you are facing in order to sell to that customer group. The higher income class or those with more spending power would be comfortable paying for cold stones ice cream irrespective of the price. The lower income class are currently served by the ice cream vendors on bicycles. So you would need to understand how you would create your market and serve them in the view of the present reality. Choose your competitive strategy,

5. Risks

Doing business in Nigeria today is risky, as prices of raw materials and other things you use in your business operations could be affected unexpectedly. Be proactive and plan ahead in order to mitigate this. There are no clear barriers to entering this business so new competition could be expected and be prepared for

Summary
The sun is still not smiling, weather is hot, people get thirsty, take advantage of these by meeting their needs and even taking the product right where they are (mobile vehicle)

2 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by onyeudo234(m): 1:11am On Feb 08, 2017
I must confess you are really doing a great job by this post. keep it up man

5 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by topsam1(m): 10:36am On Feb 15, 2017
Nice job here...plz dnt be deterred, we're following you...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Dapyem(m): 10:47am On Feb 15, 2017
I just discovered dis thread today. Its so educative. Continue pls,we are following u

2 Likes

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:47pm On Feb 15, 2017
onyeudo234:
I must confess you are really doing a great job by this post. keep it up man

Thanks for your kind words.

More to come
Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:53pm On Feb 15, 2017
Idea 7 of 52 - Cassava logistics from Farms to Market

1. The Idea

Re: New Project: 52 Weeks / 52 Business Start-up Ideas For Nigeria by Sibe007(m): 12:58pm On Feb 15, 2017
In one of my trips from rural Oyo state (Eruwa, Ibarapka) to Ibadan, I noticed heaps of harvested Cassava being loaded to some pickup trucks, and there were some already ground, that were spread on the floor by the side of the road to dry. Herein lies the 7th Business startup idea in our series.

Logistics for Cassava from farm to Processing locations

I saw an article last year which highlighted the anomaly for Nigeria the largest producer of Cassava in the World to be importing Garri (West African staple food), produced from Cassava (Omotosho, 2016).

Read more on that https://www.thecable.ng/oops-nigeria-worlds-largest-cassava-producer-imports-garri-from-togo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

People Called Me Crazy When I Started Whispering Palms —prof Pearse / Free Sachet Pure Water Business Plan / URGENT!!! Was I Scammed???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.