Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,232 members, 7,849,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:41 AM

How Do U Deal With Your Temper. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Do U Deal With Your Temper. (4175 Views)

How Do You Control Your Temper, For Tempermental People Only?. / 10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / How Do U Deal With Body Itches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Secretz(f): 8:54pm On Nov 21, 2009
Used to be tempermental many years back, am so gentle and a lot more relaxed now. . . but I do still find people 'irritating' . . . but what I would so is what a few people have already suggested:

Knight1:

You can also impose a punishment on your self for every time you get angry, justified or not, not something drastic, just enough to make you tick e.g dash out a particular sum to a stranger, do chores you know you don't like. Best of luck.

and

Bbeee:

i simply grab my ipod, n go for a long walk, cool music really helps alot,

@ OP, atleast you know something isn't right. Some people will forever remain in denial. wink
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by katki: 9:18pm On Nov 21, 2009
read 90/10 rule,that will solve your temper problems for life.google 90/10 rule or principle
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by sheriffman(m): 9:46pm On Nov 21, 2009
@ poster real nice topic,well coming out this way will definitely help you if you sample the opinions well.
From my point here I will suggest you try to lay your hands on a book titled
WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO-TIM LAHAYE.
and read it.It will really do you good.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by femionasan(m): 10:32pm On Nov 21, 2009
Whenever i get angry which happens a lot, i breathe in and out very heavily. Infact its so sad now cos i am used to keeping quiet when something gets me angry such that people especially the women think i am stupid and they walk all over me. When i get angry i say things which i sometimes regret but i guess playing the fool is much better than hurting with the tongue.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Tamunofiri(m): 10:41pm On Nov 21, 2009
Daily exercise can go a long way in controlling your temper. You don't have to be upset before you do that, just be consistent in it and I assure u, u will see a whole load of improvement. All the best.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Kobojunkie: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2009
Yes, Exercise is a good way of managing stress. Not only does it help get you healthy, you also build Self Control, and get help alleviating any hormonal link there may be to your issue there.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by 0hsisi: 1:43am On Nov 22, 2009
listen to music
watch a comedy
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Nobody: 1:44am On Nov 22, 2009
Oh well I can't say since I once threw an empty luggage at my ex's head. tongue
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by TheSeeker(m): 1:44am On Nov 22, 2009
Depending on the situation these are what I do:

- I make several phone calls to people I can't vent my anger on.

- I grab a piece of paper and write gibberish

- I set my iPod at the highest volume until my ears almost blast out, this is what I do most times and the mood tells me what kind of song I listen to.

- I check my bank account balance cool
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Nobody: 1:47am On Nov 22, 2009
TheSeeker:

Depending on the situation these are what I do:

- I make several phone calls to people I can't vent my anger on.

- I grab a piece of paper and write gibberish

- I set my iPod at the highest volume until my ears almost blast out, this is what I do most times and the mood tells me what kind of song I listen to.

- I check my bank account balance cool

1. Why not the contrary?

2. That sounds good.

3. Same here.

4. That'd make me freak out the more. I haven't even got an account. angry angry
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Nobody: 1:54am On Nov 22, 2009
@post
I log onto NAIRALAND . . . .and. . . .you know the rest.

2. Music
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by TheSeeker(m): 2:01am On Nov 22, 2009
michelin89:

1. Why not the contrary?

2. That sounds good.

3. Same here.

4. That'd make me freak out the more. I haven't even got an account. angry angry
Because I always want to keep a considerable distance from what will irk me the more. . . so I call people that I can't unleash my anger on, for example, older people and others that I admire very much
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by trumpeter(m): 5:44am On Nov 22, 2009
"To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," says Newton - the great English natural philosopher and scientist. As good and logical this principle sounds, it cannot account for the far reaching consequences (reactions) of untamed temper (actions)." We need to know that the cosmos universe is governed by some principles which fit the system of things in place. There are principles that can help us deal with this old monster called ANGER. Here are some of them;

* Principle of observation
* principle of self evaluation
* principle of probabilities
* principle of understanding
* principle of vanity
* principle of penitence
* principle of non-retaliation
* principle of forgiveness

(1) OBSERVATION: The following are the root causes of anger in every society today; envy, jealousy, pride, frustrations, hunger, oppression, insincerity et cetera. We need to study to identify what causes and raises the ignition temperature in people who live around us. Knowing this will not only help in relating freely with them but identifying with their predicaments. At least if we cannot solve their problems, I don't think we should add to them.

(2) SELF-EVALUATION: The underlying point here is that all must embrace and live by the golden rule - Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets (Matt7:12).

(3) PROBABILITIES: There are n possible outcomes to every event ( where n is equal or greater than 2 ). As an example, If A owes B Nx and he promises to pay back in period of time, T but fails to make good his promise at this time, then B decides to call A on phone but with no response. Why does A fail to honour the call from B?  It is not right here to completely assume that A willingly ignores the call ( which will enrage B's temper). Another possible answer is that  A was charging his phone cell when the call was made . It is also possible that A was far from where the phone cell lies and as such could not hear when it was ringing. When there are different possible outcomes like this in our daily events, we tend to pick those so-called logical outcomes that enflame our temper.

(4) UNDERSTANDING: There are no two persons that are identical in every respect. Even identical twins often exhibit many disparate character traits.
We all have different religious, cultural, educational, social, and political background and all these actually define and shapen our perception, beliefs and worldview particularly in the formative years. To this end, we must respect other people's ideas and opinions. The key word here is TOLERANCE.

(5) VANITY: When we came into the world, we met problems and by the time we fly away, there will still be problems. If we cannot solve the problems we inherited, we have no moral right to create more for our posterity. Whatever anybody does to upset you, when we know that we brought nothing into this planet earth and will go with nothing. I think that only should obviate the need to get angered unnecessarily.

(6) PENITENCE: There is this self-defence mechanism and pride in every natural man. When Adam sinned, instead of him to say I AM SORRY; he went into self-defence. Whenever we are not willing to admit that we go wrong ( when actually we are at fault ), danger is looming because the emotional monster (anger) is set to be at work. The Scripture advises that "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger Prov 15:1".

(7) NON-RETALIATION: This is a very spiritual principle taught and practised by Jesus of Nazareth. " Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" Matt5:38-39" said Jesus. Sincerely no natural or ordinary man can live by this injunction except he that has the touch of the supernatural. It is anger that inspires the thought of revenge which culminates to vindictiveness. Christ is actually saying that one should not be unreasonably angry let alone seeking revenge. I am not sure there are many adherents to this hard principle  and if there are, they will be in the finest minority.

(cool FORGIVENESS: Jesus declared that offences must come and the only sure antidote he recommended was/is FORGIVENESS. This panacea will be useless if there is no SIN (offences). Jesus taught us to pray to God to  ",  forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses"Matt6: 12-14,15. He also formulated  and recommeded the "SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN THEORY" to His followers. "Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven"Matt18:21,22. He taught that one should not forgive another if the frequency of offence per day is greater than 490.Christ is only telling us to demonstrate unlimted forgiveness since it is not practically possible for a person to be offended by another 490 times in a day

To cap it all, I want submit that some of the highlighted principles might be difficult to swallow and practice. We need a divine touch in our hearts to be able to do that. We also need consistent prayer to God to help us (by His Spirit) tame and paralyse this deadly monster which destroys than any known nuclear missile. May the Lord deliver us from this destructive habit in Jesus name (Amen).
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by trumpeter(m): 5:57am On Nov 22, 2009
"To every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," says Newton - the great English natural philosopher and scientist. As good and logical this principle sounds, it cannot account for the far reaching consequences (reactions) of untamed temper (actions)." We need to know that the cosmos universe is governed by some principles which fit the system of things in place. There are principles that can help us deal with this old monster called ANGER. Here are some of them;
* principle of vanity
* principle of penitence

(1) OBSERVATION: The following are the root causes of anger in every society today; envy, jealousy, pride, frustrations, hunger, oppression, insincerity et cetera. We need to study to identify what causes and raises the ignition temperature in people who live around us. Knowing this will not only help in relating freely with them but identifying with their predicaments. At least if we cannot solve their problems, I don't think we should add to them.
(2) SELF-EVALUATION: The underlying point here is that all must embrace and live by the golden rule - Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets (Matt7:12).
(3) PROBABILITIES: There are n possible outcomes to every event ( where n is equal or greater than 2 ). As an example, If A owes B Nx and he promises to pay back in a period of time, T but fails to make good his promise at this time, then B decides to call A on phone but with no response. Why does A fail to honour the call from B? It is not right here to completely assume that A willingly ignores the call ( which will enrage B's temper). Another possible answer is that A was charging his phone cell when the call was made . It is also possible that A was far from where the phone cell lies and as such could not hear when it was ringing. When there are different possible outcomes like this in our daily events, we tend to pick those so-called logical outcomes that enflame our temper.
(4) UNDERSTANDING: There are no two persons that are identical in every respect. Even identical twins often exhibit many disparate character traits.
We all have different religious, cultural, educational, social, and political background and all these actually define and shapen our perception, beliefs and worldview particularly in the formative years. To this end, we must respect other people's ideas and opinions. The key word here is TOLERANCE.
(5) VANITY: When we came into the world, we met problems and by the time we fly away, there will still be problems. If we cannot solve the problems we inherited, we have no moral right to create more for our posterity. Whatever anybody does to upset you, when we know that we brought nothing into this planet earth and will go with nothing.I think that only should obviate the need to get angered unnecessarily.
(6) PENITENCE: There is this self-defence mechanism and pride in every natural man. When Adam sinned, instead of him to say I AM SORRY; he went into self-defence. Whenever we are not willing to admit that we go wrong ( when actually we are at fault ), danger is looming because the emotional monster (anger) is set to be at work. The Scripture advises that "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger Prov 15:1".
(7) NON-RETALIATION: This is a very spiritual principle taught and practised by Jesus of Nazareth. " Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" Matt5:38-39" said Jesus. Sincerely no natural or ordinary man can live by this injunction except he that has the touch of the supernatural. It is anger that inspires the thought of revenge which culminates to vindictiveness. Christ is actually saying that one should not be unreasonably angry let alone seeking revenge. I am not sure there are many adherents to this hard principle and if there are, they will be in the finest minority.

(cool FORGIVENESS: Jesus declared that offences must come and the only sure antidote he recommended was/is FORGIVENESS. This panacea will be useless if there is no SIN (offences). Jesus taught us to pray to God to ", forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses"Matt6: 12-14,15. He also formulated and recommeded the "SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN THEORY" to His followers. "Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven"Matt18:21,22. He taught that one should not forgive another if the frequency of offence per day is greater than 490.Christ is only telling us to demonstrate unlimted forgiveness since it is not practically possible for a person to be offended by another 490 times in a day

To cap it all, I want to submit that some of the highlighted principles might be difficult to swallow and practice. We need a divine touch in our hearts to be able to do that. We also need consistent prayer to God to help us (by His Spirit) tame and paralyse this deadly monster which destroys than any known nuclear weapons. May the Lord deliver us from this destructive habit in Jesus name (Amen).
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Cmeo(m): 6:16am On Nov 22, 2009
Try and get a copy of the a book titled"How to win friend and Influence people" by Dale Carnegie

I hope it will help and you will be glad to have a copy
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by PastorOla1: 7:38am On Nov 22, 2009
EVERY HUMAN BEING HAS TWO PARTS, YOUR AREA OF STRENTH AND AREA OF WEAKNESS, KNOWING THIS HAS HELP ME A GREAT DEAL. A PROBLEM KNOWN IS 50% SOLVED, I DON'T PRETEND I HAVE A GOOD TEMPER AT ALL, SEEKING SPIRITUAL HELP VIA THE BIBLE. READING, MEDITATION AND PRAYING THROUGH CHRIST TO THE GOD OF HEAVEN BASED ON MY WILLINGNESS TO CHANGE. WHATEVER DISIRE AND WORK UPON CAN FOR THE BETTER
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by lullabi: 7:50am On Nov 22, 2009
Its not really very easy to live a fulfiled life if you are temperamental,You tend to get moody all the time, you get depressed and get irritated at little things. People now know what your reaction would be when something happens to you and they take advantage of it.
I am very temperamental and emotionaL too and I always want people to understand. I get hurt at little things and especially insults and embarrassments.
My question is when u get angry while at work and you just cant lay your hands on something like music, a cool breeze, a long work, a gym etc, you cant leave ur table even for 2mins, how do u handle it so that u dont transfer the aggresion on some innocent ones around or even get yourself fired.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Tcrack(m): 11:05am On Nov 22, 2009
most temperamental pple i know have serious ego problems.I know of a guy who can kill if you call him by just his first name instead of adding uncle/broda. try to view life and everything you own as vanity and am sure you will find it easier to "let go". when i get angry which i seldom do, I take a walk away from the person/thing that got me angry.sometimes i ask myself "what if i die now, will this thing am yelling about really matter?"
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by IbrahimB: 2:34pm On Nov 22, 2009
I usually eat raw pepper each time my temper rises ; try it out i think it works.

Wouldn't that make you EVEN more ANGRY? grin
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by OBVIOUS(m): 2:39pm On Nov 22, 2009
Tcrack:

most temperamental pple i know have serious ego problems. I know of a guy who can kill if you call him by just his first name instead of adding uncle/broda. try to view life and everything you own as vanity and am sure you will find it easier to "let go". when i get angry which i seldom do, I take a walk away from the person/thing that got me angry.sometimes i ask myself "what if i die now, will this thing am yelling about really matter?"

hahahahahaha--------------- shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin shocked grin
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Igwe9(m): 5:13pm On Nov 22, 2009
I used to involve myself in an argument or better still take a revenge,out of anger, but now I try not to allow anything spoil my day.
I think it's been working for me.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by toosoon(m): 7:12pm On Nov 22, 2009
just listen to this track, Lagbaja---cool temper cool
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by 0hsisi: 9:30pm On Nov 22, 2009
listen to gongo aso lipsrsealed
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Winnergal(f): 10:01pm On Nov 22, 2009
How do people deal with me when i'm angry? . . . angry

Warning: Never come near an angry winnergal . . . angry
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by mamagee3(f): 10:15pm On Nov 22, 2009
I control it by leaving that atmosphere the argument occured. wink
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by sweeti14(f): 10:21pm On Nov 22, 2009
how i deal wiv my anger
1)take a hot bath(dis relaxes me).
2)get busy doing sumfin lyk d dishes(dis way they get an extra shine due 2 d force i apply while scrubbing grin).
3)call 1 of my frendz i trust and know wont aggravate me and talk 'bout it.
4)find sumfin 2 tear,squeez,break or punch.(and if d 'sumfin' happens to be somebody oh well  lipsrsealed)
5)cry it out
6)take a long walk and listen 2 cool music
*i never talk when am angry cuz it could be very lethal*
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by trumpeter(m): 10:41pm On Nov 22, 2009

* principle of vanity
* principle of penitence

(3) PROBABILITIES: There are n possible outcomes to every event ( where n is equal or greater than 2 ). As an example, If A owes B Nx and he promises to pay back in a period of time, T  but fails to make good his promise at this time, then B decides to call A on phone but with no response. Why does A fail to honour the call from B?  It is not right here to completely assume that A willingly ignores the call ( which will enrage B's temper). Another possible answer is that  A was charging his phone cell when the call was made . It is also possible that A was far from where the phone cell lies and as such could not hear when it was ringing. When there are different possible outcomes like this in our daily events, we tend to pick those so-called logical outcomes that enflame our temper.

(5) VANITY: When we came into the world, we met problems and by the time we fly away, there will still be problems. If we cannot solve the problems we inherited, we have no moral right to create more for our posterity. Whatever anybody does to upset you, when we know that we brought nothing into this planet earth and will go with nothing. I think that only should obviate the need to get angered unnecessarily.

(7) NON-RETALIATION: This is a very spiritual principle taught and practised by Jesus of Nazareth. " Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also" Matt5:38-39" said Jesus. Sincerely no natural or ordinary man can live by this injunction except he that has the touch of the supernatural. It is anger that inspires the thought of revenge which culminates to vindictiveness. Christ is actually saying that one should not be unreasonably angry let alone seeking revenge. I am not sure there are many adherents to this hard principle  and if there are, they will be in the finest minority.

(cool FORGIVENESS: Jesus declared that offences must come and the only sure antidote he recommended was/is FORGIVENESS. This panacea will be useless if there is no SIN (offences). Jesus taught us to pray to God to  ",  forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:but if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses"Matt6: 12-14,15. He also formulated  and recommeded the "SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN THEORY" to His followers. "Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven"Matt18:21,22. He taught that one should not forgive another if the frequency of offence per day is greater than 490.Christ is only telling us to demonstrate unlimted forgiveness since it is not practically possible for a person to be offended by another 490 times in a day

To cap it all, I want to submit that some of the highlighted principles might be difficult to swallow and practice. We need a divine touch in our hearts to be able to do that. We also need consistent prayer to God to help us (by His Spirit) tame and paralyse this deadly monster which destroys than any known nuclear missile.  May the Lord deliver us from this destructive habit in Jesus name (Amen).
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by jaygirl2: 11:32pm On Nov 22, 2009
being temperamental requires a great deal of self control.
the best way to avoid outbursts is to walk away or let go at d earlier stage of vexation cos if it generates to a point where u loose it, walking away might b difficult n even impossible.
all d best dude!
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by lemmycop: 12:34am On Nov 23, 2009
Just keep calm and then walk away quietly.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by erastus75: 10:57am On Nov 23, 2009
Like Pastor Ola said, the best way to reducing anger is by praying be u a muslim or a christian. The word of God in Proverbs says that " Anger dwells in the bossom of a fool" From today refuse to be a fool and pray anytime you are angry and God who created you would help in reducing or removing the anger in you.

You might have developed this a long time ago and you could by urself reduce or stop it, I pray that God in his infinite mercies would help you(if you also allow him to work on you). God cannot force anything on you except of course you are ready to follow his ways. Bible says " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and a line of songs say" Take your problems to the Lord and leave it there". God created you and there is nobody that knows you more than Him, so return to your creator for an assistance.

1. Pray
2. Read the word of God
3. Listen to Christian music
4. Be calm when you sense that anger is about coming

Wish you well in the mighty name of Jesus. Amen
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 23, 2009
Whn i am angry,i dont like to divert my aggression on others.Whoever or what evr gets me angry,i just look at the person not matter hw angry i am and i will walk away.The next thing,i call the next available person i culd talk and report myself to the person.But always make sure that i dont utter any word.If it happens in the office, i just face my system and i will be shaking my head,at home will go to bed straight and anyother other place just look away.
U can control it without seeking any medical attention.

sheriffman:

@ poster real nice topic,well coming out this way will definitely help you if you sample the opinions well.
From my point here I will suggest you try to lay your hands on a book titled
WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO-TIM LAHAYE.
and read it.It will really do you good.
I suggest this book as well.Once u discovert ur temperament,u will be able to control urself.It is avery gd book.
Re: How Do U Deal With Your Temper. by Nezan(m): 12:23pm On Nov 23, 2009
Take a very chilled water, and go for a long walk.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital Commences Open Heart Surgery / What Is Hot Stone Massage? / What Are The Dangers Of Applying Aboniki Balm On The Manhood?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.