Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,878 members, 7,817,586 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j (12521 Views)

What Am I Missing In My Egusi Soup? / My Garden Egg, Cabbage, And Egusi Soup Recipe (with PHOTOS) / Egusi Lumps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by gaby(m): 4:39pm On Nov 20, 2009
Someone should please help a brother here with the above and also how to prepare the party-like jollof rice y'all know what i mean i hope, Thanks
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Fhemmmy: 5:10pm On Nov 20, 2009
I remember eating something like while i was growing up.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by MadMax1(f): 7:04pm On Nov 20, 2009
Egusi is prepared in various ways. To get the lumps, have meat stock ready. Add a little to the dry-grounded egusi and mash into a ball. Start adding it bit and bit (in the lump sizes you want) to the sizzling condiments already cooking.

For wet-ground egusi, make sure it's not loose but ground thickly together, with little water. Add salt and cover for two hours. Use a teaspoon to add it to the soup (peppermix, oil,spices,herbs,meat stock,etc already sizzling). You'll have lumps.

I don't know what party jollof rice is. There's just jollof rice, and you're allowed to be creative in making it,as with most dishes.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2009
Mad_Max:

Egusi is prepared in various ways. To get the lumps, have meat stock ready. Add a little to the dry-grounded egusi and mash into a ball. Start adding it bit and bit (in the lump sizes you want) to the sizzling condiments already cooking.

For wet-ground egusi, make sure it's not loose but ground thickly together, with little water. Add salt and cover for two hours. Use a teaspoon to add it to the soup (peppermix, oil,spices,herbs,meat stock,etc already sizzling). You'll have lumps.

I don't know what party jollof rice is. There's just jollof rice, and you're allowed to be creative in making it,as with most dishes.

Thank for the tip, will surely try it
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Nobody: 12:24am On Nov 21, 2009
Mad Max, how much salt is rec.?
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by MadMax1(f): 3:01pm On Nov 22, 2009
Enough so you don't need to salt the soup. All its salt comes from the egusi.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by chiogo(f): 8:55pm On Nov 22, 2009
I know what you mean when you say "party-like jollof rice", I don't think there are specific spices used to give it that taste. My best conclusion is that it tastes that way because it's cooked in large quantity and spacious cooking utensil.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Hauwa1: 9:51pm On Nov 22, 2009
there is a special egusi which gives lumps. a real good lumps with great taste grin it is common among the Tiv and in Benue area, this egusi has a whitish skin and the seed is longer than the East/south and western egusi.

Ngusha and Jane Doe, where are u guys?
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by ankeade: 2:45pm On Nov 23, 2009
Hello Mad Max,

Please, can U tell me how to cook egunsi soup.
The type one can use to eat eba.

Thanks luv. cool
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by gaby(m): 3:23pm On Nov 24, 2009
Thanks fellows for the responses so far, @ hauwa i tend to agree more with you about the special type of egusi i've seen something like that in the past.

Much love peeps
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by mamagee3(f): 9:55pm On Nov 24, 2009
Go to google for the recipe. cheesy cheesy
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by amodiaquin: 7:49pm On Nov 25, 2009
there is a special type of Egusi, the Idomas call "Abasi" or "Abahi". Thats the best Egusi to use to make nice lumpy egusi. Depending on where u live, u can get it from some certain markets, Alternatively send someone going to Benue to get it for u. Keep my share when u make d soup
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by flakey94: 10:28am On Dec 10, 2009
To achieve this you need to add i raw egg to the dry ground Egusi, also add a bit of salt, then using your hand or an oiled(so it does not stick to the spoon) put it into a pot of boiling pepper.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 10, 2009
I heard that you can also fry egunsi wih palm oil.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Kx: 10:37am On Dec 10, 2009
Mad_Max:

Thats rather surprising.
Do one really need to boil water for 2 solid hours for lumpy egusi?

Someone once said u should not stir the pot of egusi soup
in the first 5mins of cooking if u want it to be lumpy,dont know,cant confirm.

I refer you to one Amaka,one of NL best cook.Browse some of her threads and posts
in the food section,am sure her threads will be most useful to u.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by ifyalways(f): 6:20pm On Dec 12, 2009
@Poster are u Igbo?have u heard of ofe akpuru-akpu egusi?Its common delicay in Umuahia,it might be what u are looking for undecided
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by funkymimi(f): 4:18pm On Dec 13, 2009
To make party like jollof rice,u need loads of tomato.i personally mix blended fresh tomato and the canned(TIN) tomato paste.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by janedoe(f): 8:31pm On Dec 13, 2009
@Hauwa and poster,we hardly use the white egusi for soup,we just eat it roasted,so she won't need the white egusi,the secret to the lumps is to keep grinding the egusi till the oil starts coming out of it at this point it has a dough-like consistency so all you need to do is make small 'lumps' from the egusi dough,the only problem here is it is usually done on a grinding stone so if you don't have one this method may not work,you also need alot of patience as you need to grind it longer to get it to the point of producing oil but I'm sure some other people in-house will give you easier tips so keep this as your "if all else fails" option wink

Hey Hauwa,did you ever live in tivland?you seem to know alot about tiv culture smiley
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
make a thick egusi paste and fry as if you're frying akara- ie drop rounded dumplings into the oil and let fry for a few minutes before stirring.

dont stir too much as this will break up the egusi.

some people add egg to the raw egusi mix but i havent tried that yet.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 14, 2009
FL Gators:

I heard that you can also fry egunsi wih palm oil.

people do that all the time in nigeria.

it gives the stew a redder color and also gives it the palm oil flavor.

on those occasions where you cant afford fancy ororo and you want to cook for an impressive visitor, you blanch the palm oil till it loses the red tint and turns yellow.

voila- cool it down a bit, make your stew, and your visitor sits down to a fancy five star meal. wink

naija for life.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by gaby(m): 3:22pm On Dec 17, 2009
Thanks a lot folks always knew i could always count on you peeps.I appreciate your contributions a lot.Im yet to experiment with any of the ideas here but will do so soon.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by MadMax1(f): 10:54pm On Dec 20, 2009
Kx:

Thats rather surprising.
Do one really need to boil water for 2 solid hours for lumpy egusi?

Lol. You're not boiling the egunsi; you're just covering it for two hours. Like when you want to prepare bush meat or chicken and you cover it with herbs and salt and spices and let it marinate for hours BEFORE cooking. You let the thick egunsi marinate in salt for two hours, and then add bit by bit to the boiling condiments with a teaspoon.

ankeade:

Hello Mad Max,Please, can U tell me how to cook egunsi soup.
The type one can use to eat eba.Thanks luv. cool

Is there one type of egunsi you can't eat eba with? grin There are different kinds of egunsi seeds and different ways of making them, different local ingredients, and different foreign spices that enhance the taste of each. You can be as creative as you want. I've made goat-meat pepper soup egusi and everyone loved it. There's no 'fixed' or best way of making it.
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by olachy: 1:01pm On Jan 14, 2010
Hey, heres wht u do to get that lumpy egusi,
blend the egusi with sme crayfsh preferably, or u can grind them separatly(smbody spell this fr me, lol)
then u put in a bowl, stir in some water, just a tad bit so that it forms a thik paste, add some salt just fr taste,
heat a pan/pot of palm oil, drop the paste like egusi gently in the pan, dont stir, leave it to fry on relatvly low heat, if u notice its starting to burn, u can stir but very slightly, u will get the lumpy egusi, if u do this, thats hw we do it at home,
Re: Please How Do I Give My Egusi The Egg-like Lumps and also preparing party-like j by maakie(f): 11:52pm On Feb 07, 2011
You can also add the dry ground egusi straight with the cooked ingredients and palm oil, making sure not to stir it too early so it does not disintegrate;when its sticking to the pot, (not burning, grin), u then give it a quick, but thorough stir, before addding your veg!
Enjoy!

(1) (Reply)

Realy Amazing Cakes / Are There Vegetarians In Nigeria? / How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.