Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,076 members, 7,818,220 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. (30814 Views)

Lady Sacked For Refusing To Say Good Morning To Her Co-Worker / My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by hizaya61(m): 12:12am On Jan 05, 2017
duncan511:
If no work on public holiday, did u go, cause ur friend he was sack because of his absent, did u go

Different department bro, I didn't.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by ddeola: 2:19am On Jan 05, 2017
hizaya16, your post may be untrue !

Give the name of the company and let's see how it goes. Stop fooling people abeg undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by obamma: 4:02am On Jan 05, 2017
This is the reason I created the community on my signature. So that these companies will be exposed. Check my signature.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by agabusta: 4:03am On Jan 05, 2017
Richy4:

Trust me I am old enough... But you are right I have never worked in Nigeria....You made mention of desperate job seekers taking an offer...what offer..oral offer of appointment or what?
I am asking all this because I find it hard to understand how someone can start a job without an employment letter no matter how small the Establishment is/was....Because a lot of things are at stake without that letter

It is very real and happening in Nigeria. You'll even be surprised some big companies also do not give some of their support staff employment letters in order to deny them some benefits.

As you said, they will just tell you how much they can pay you and the date to resume. When some people ask for letter on resumption, they will tell u you'll get it later. That later will eventually turn into years, most people just take it like that so far their monthly pay is not disrupted. It is only when they have other issues with the employer you'll be surprised to hear they never had an employment letter.

It is very very common. Indians, Chinese and Lebanese companies have now discovered that is possible in Nigeria and are taking full advantage of that.

Our labour laws are not being enforced, and the ministry of labour staff are just dormant.

Labour unions will only fight for what has direct benefits to them.

Nigeria is really not doing well with the protection of employee rights, and we need to do something about it.

Let me also tell u another infringement common in the Nigerian workplace. Some companies, in fact big notable companies will mandate their staff to sign bond for a particular reason, maybe they were trained, promoted, transferred to a better department or location, etc and then refuse to make a copy of the bond agreement available to the staff.

They will just make them read it only once, then signify whether they accept or not. They won't allow them to have a copy or even snap it. Just to deny them the evidence to use in suing in case of a breach. A lot is happening. I assure you.

1 Like

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by youngsahito(m): 7:28am On Jan 05, 2017
Labour union in Nigeria are as useless like anything.what have they done to issue of contract staff, underpay, people working 7 to 7 and are being paid #600 per day by this useless Chinese, Lebanese and Indians. I wept for my country
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by matoxy(m): 8:20am On Jan 05, 2017
Not only Indians, even our Nigerian counterpart. I was relieved of my job for not coming to work on boxing day. Can you imagine. Who do we blame?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by progress69: 8:31am On Jan 05, 2017
Sanchez01:

Most coys give out employment letters to their contract staff and they are often strict and rigid with the conditions. Unfortunately, your colleague can't do much as he has no evidence of being employed by the company in question, let alone cheated.
Your monthly salary credited to your account is more than enough evidence
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by progress69: 8:34am On Jan 05, 2017
hizaya61:

i cant.

If u can't go and sleep. Who the hell who know u posted this? If u felt u will be compromised why didn't u use an alternate moniker? U are one of the problems, u need help but u are shielding the useless indians? How then do u get help?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by emekaxy: 8:38am On Jan 05, 2017
hizaya61:
Dear friends, my eyes has seen many rubbish working with Indians, they maltreat we blacks as if the country belong to them. yesterday they sacked a co-worker for not coming to work on "January 2nd" public holiday, which was posted by the hr manager on the notice board. after he reported the issue to the hr manager that the head of the department "Nigerian" said they have sack him, the hr manager said there's nothing he can do. the so called "union" and the black management staff cant even say anything because the level of high service is 1000% they are always afraid of confronting this Indians, then i use to hear of people talking about modern slavery now i also have experienced it. one day very soon they will started putting chains in our hands and legs. i guess the hr manager is suppose to handle issues like this or am i wrong ?

Go to facebook
Type Inibehe Effiong and thank me later.....
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by kingmekus(m): 2:20pm On Jan 05, 2017
Sanchez01:

Most coys give out employment letters to their contract staff and they are often strict and rigid with the conditions. Unfortunately, your colleague can't do much as he has no evidence of being employed by the company in question, let alone cheated.
Bros I am grateful for this explanation,similar things happened to my brother some weeks back,he worked for a company for 5 years ,they suddenly started asking all the employees to submit their employment letter ,my brother declined and instead submitted his resignation letter with one month notice,barely 5 days to the end of the one month notice,they gave him letter of indefinite suspension WITHOUT PAY,as we speak now even the month he worked for is yet to be payed to him..The name of the company is Stanqueen Investment Limited located at Awolowo Road Ikeja..Note,He has an employment letter.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by duncan511: 6:55pm On Jan 05, 2017
hizaya61:

Different department bro, I didn't.
ok
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by limamintruth: 8:11am On Jan 06, 2017
Oluwasegun21:

Sue? Stop joking.What proff does he have dat he works for the firm? Dnt u get it, he doesnt have an employment contract.

Proof? By bringing witnesses to corroborate his claim. Or are you saying that in Nigeria, Oral & Implied contracts cannot be enforced in court?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Oluwasegun21: 9:21am On Jan 06, 2017
limamintruth:

Proof? By bringing witnesses to corroborate his claim. Or are you saying that in Nigeria, Oral & Implied contracts cannot be enforced in court?

Oral contract is nt enforcable in court, it can only be if perhaps it was recorded on a tape as a proff.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by limamintruth: 10:52am On Jan 06, 2017
Oluwasegun21:

Oral contract is nt enforcable in court, it can only be if perhaps it was recorded on a tape as a proff.

lol, it is sir. there are several ways to prove same just as some have rightly stated earlier on this thread.
Its simply that written agreements are easier to prove in court.
Ignorance & poverty is what is really affecting the citizenry cos very few know their rights & also have the means to enforce same.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My MD Slapped Me, Please I Need Your Advice / 10 Reasons Why Some People Will Never Succeed / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.