Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

The Truth Most Christians Dont Know - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Truth Most Christians Dont Know (3650 Views)

5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers / Why Are Most Christians Stingy When It Comes To Church Offerings? / Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by winie(f): 1:59pm On Jan 12, 2007
According to Rom:5:1 a christian that is believes that Jesus is lord and alive is justified by faith. This means that God sees us as sinless. This is an awesome truth. i know that many may find it hard to believe, but its true. We are no longer under the curse of sin.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by shahan(f): 2:38pm On Jan 12, 2007
Hi winie,

For a moment I had to understand where you were coming from and took a look at the verse you quoted:

Rom. 5:1 - "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Bless. smiley
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Aggressa(m): 3:29pm On Jan 12, 2007
winie:

According to Rom:5:1 a christian that is believes that Jesus is lord and alive is justified by faith. This means that God sees us as sinless. This is an awesome truth. i know that many may find it hard to believe, but its true. We are no longer under the curse of sin.

@winie,
Yours is a simple but brilliant post. But why do you think "most christians" don't know this? I believe a genuine bible believing christian should know it. I especially like the phrase "God sees us as sinless" because it simplistically defines 'justification' which means to be 'declared righteous'. In other words, we are in good standing with God because of faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. However, this is not an opportunity to continue living in or committing sin while believing that we've been declared righteous; the same faith in Jesus Christ that we confess at conversion should produce good works leading to regeneration, while knowing that we have a constant advocate.
Bless you!
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Seun(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12, 2007
Let's suppose a Christian is having sex with his best friend's wife right now. Does God still see him as sinless?
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by TayoD(m): 5:15pm On Jan 12, 2007
Let's suppose a Christian is having sex with his best friend's wife right now. Does God still see him as sinless?

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Bobbyaf(m): 6:42am On Jan 13, 2007
@ Winie

According to Rom:5:1 a christian that is believes that Jesus is lord and alive is justified by faith. This means that God sees us as sinless. This is an awesome truth. i
know that many may find it hard to believe, but its true. We are no longer under the curse of sin.

Without wanting to throw off your wonderful reminder of God's free grace, I just thought I'd ask a few questions:

1. How does one define sin? Better yet how does the bible define sin?

2. At what point does God see us as sinless?

3. Will this sinless state fluctuate, or is it permanent? In other words is there a point in one's conversion experience where we are so attuned with God that we begin to live like His Son Jesus?

This is my understanding. Christians are expected to grow in grace towards the fullnes of the stature of Christ. (see Eph. 4)

In the light of this, sin has to be understood as it relates to our growth, and how we react to God's revealed will. In fact sin is when we reject His revealed will. As God reveals knowledge of His will, through whatever means, as christians we must act on such revelation, and walk in that revelation by His enabling strength. If we don't we sin, and sin deliberately too. If we are not aware of His will and instructions, then we sin in a different way. We sin unknowingly.

Of course our love for God is the motivating factor. When we experience His love we are "constrained" to love Him. We will be prepared to die before dishonouring Him just as the patriarchs of old, and just like the apostles were prepared to lay down their lives.

Bless.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Thor(m): 10:17am On Jan 13, 2007
The minute we are not under the curse of sin then we are free :-)

I have never lived under the curse of sin. Sin is a man made element and probably had it uses a few thousand years ago. Today it serves no purpose other than to make people feel bad about themselves!
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Seun(m): 11:47am On Jan 13, 2007
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness.
How can a "sinless" Christian commit a sin? If you are "sinless", then obviously there is no sin to confess.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Thor(m): 11:54am On Jan 13, 2007
Precisely :-)
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by shahan(f): 12:38pm On Jan 13, 2007
@Seun,

Good question. However, let's understand what the Bible actually says about the position of Christians; and I'll delineate this into 3:

1. The Justification of the Believer.
When someone believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, God justifies that person based on the value of the precious sacrifice of His Son [Rom. 3:24 - "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus[/color]"]. What this means is, God sees that person standing before Him in the value of the redemption in Christ, rather than on their own merits.

There is a difference between man's justification and divine justification. Human justification is of no value before God - "[color=#770077]But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?. . . And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
" [Luke 10:29 & 16:15]. Not even the patriarch Abraham could be justified before God if it were a matter of human evaluation: "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God." [Rom 4:2].

The justification based on the value of Jesus' redeeming grace sets the believer as having no fault upon him or her, and properly fitted to be presented in God's presence. "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God" - [see 1 Cor. 6:11].  

2. The Experience of Divine Justification.
In practical daily experiences and challenges, we are called to a life of faith in the same Jesus in whom we are justified, in dependence upon the Holy Spirit. We face the same temptations as everyone else; we have the same weaknesses as others; we are daily challenged by situations calling for informed decisions. . . and like many others, Christians actually have failures like them. However, the fact of the divine justification upon us points out two things:

(a) it does not suppose that we can justify any sin just because of God's grace:
        "But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners,
         is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid
" (Gal. 2:17);

(b) it does mean that with honest hearts we can receive grace to walk right:
         "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us
          from all unrighteousness
" (1 John 1:9).

Although we face challenges of life like everyone else, the believer's deepest desire is to live in pursuit of righteousness by the power of the Holy Spirit.

3. The Destination of the Justified.
God's justification offers the believer a solid guarantee for the future when Jesus returns. "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified" (Rom. 8:30). People may feel like failures in their experiences; but the basis of our justification is the work of God's Son, and not man's. So, the guarantee is to all who believe:

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us" - (Rom 8:31-34).

A justified believer's desire is not to excuse sin; but 1 John 1:9 offers a basis of assurance that the believer who seeks forgiveness will receive it from God, provided the seeker is honest enough to turn from sin.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by trinigirl1(f): 12:41pm On Jan 13, 2007
Seun:

How can a "sinless" Christian commit a sin? If yu are "sinless", then obviously there is no sin to confess.

What is a "sinless" christian. There is no such thing.  For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

I believe what the gentleman is trying to say is that God does not remember past sins after we come to repentence.

When we begin living for Christ, we have a NEW nature, the nature of God. So it's not that we don't sin, but we should come to a place where we do not HABITUALLY sin.

Christianity is a practice, not a magical tranformation.  But we have God's Holy Spirit who helps us become transformed.

It means then that if before I used to be a thief, after knowing Christ, I might steal again, but immediately afterwards I feel so bad for doing it, I correct my behaviour.  That's the difference.

Once we have the nature of God, we should be convicted of sin, learn to hear his voice and correct our behaviours to become more like Him.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by trinigirl1(f): 12:43pm On Jan 13, 2007
shahan:

@Seun,

Good question. However, let's understand what the Bible actually says about the position of Christians; and I'll delineate this into 3:

1. The Justification of the Believer.
When someone believes on the Lord Jesus Christ, God justifies that person based on the value of the precious sacrifice of His Son [Rom. 3:24 - "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus[/color]"]. What this means is, God sees that person standing before Him in the value of the redemption in Christ, rather than on their own merits.

There is a difference between man's justification and divine justification. Human justification is of no value before God - "[color=#770077]But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?. . . And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
" [Luke 10:29 & 16:15]. Not even the patriarch Abraham could be justified before God if it were a matter of human evaluation: "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God." [Rom 4:2].

The justification based on the value of Jesus' redeeming grace sets the believer as having no fault upon him or her, and properly fitted to be presented in God's presence. "And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God" - [see 1 Cor. 6:11].

2. The Experience of Divine Justification.
In practical daily experiences and challenges, we are called to a life of faith in the same Jesus in whom we are justified, in dependence upon the Holy Spirit. We face the same temptations as everyone else; we have the same weaknesses as others; we are daily challenged by situations calling for informed decisions. . . and like many others, Christians actually have failures like them. However, the fact of the divine justification upon us points out two things:

(a) it does not suppose that we can justify any sin just because of God's grace:
"But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners,
is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid
" (Gal. 2:17);

(b) it does mean that with honest hearts we can receive grace to walk right:
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us
from all unrighteousness
" (1 John 1:9).

Although we face challenges of life like everyone else, the believer's deepest desire is to live in pursuit of righteousness by the power of the Holy Spirit.

3. The Destination of the Justified.
God's justification offers the believer a solid guarantee for the future when Jesus returns. "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified" (Rom. 8:30). People may feel like failures in their experiences; but the basis of our justification is the work of God's Son, and not man's. So, the guarantee is to all who believe:

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us" - (Rom 8:31-34).

A justified believer's desire is not to excuse sin; but 1 John 1:9 offers a basis of assurance that the believer who seeks forgiveness will receive it from God, provided the seeker is honest enough to turn from sin.

Haba shahan, must you always be this long winded! Can't you just break it down sometimes?? chei!

All this copy and pasting. wink
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by trinigirl1(f): 12:53pm On Jan 13, 2007
winie:

I believe you have misrepresented this scripture verse. As shahan said, it speaks to the peace and joy we have in Christ.

How does justification by faith translate to sinlessness?

I like the New Living Tranlation version of this verse

1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.

Being made right in God's sight because we believed and were born again of the spirit and our faith in His word that we are forgiven gives us peace.

This does not give us a free ticket to sin and frustrate the grace of God.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by shahan(f): 1:18pm On Jan 13, 2007
Nne trini, cheesy

How bodi? Lol. . . I didn't "cut and paste", my dear. That's what's in my heart, and I place no copyright restrictions on it for whoever wants to reference shahan. Just put "© shahan, Jan 2007; Nairaland, Nigeria" and readers of your literature will understand. grin

In anycase, I just wanted to play o jare - so much noise and partying in da house last night and man pikin no fit relax!
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by TayoD(m): 1:46pm On Jan 13, 2007
Shahan,

Good Word up there, good Word. I particularly love your references in the Gospels to him that meant to justify himself. It's as if I've never seen that scripture before. What a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seun,

If you are really interested in this topic, please read up the Book of Romans. Apostle Paul dealt with it in details.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Thor(m): 1:52pm On Jan 13, 2007
Seun is only interested in the sexual aspects :-)
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Bobbyaf(m): 1:31am On Jan 14, 2007
@ trinigirl

What is a "sinless" christian. There is no such thing. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

I believe what the gentleman is trying to say is that God does not remember past sins after we come to repentence.

When we begin living for Christ, we have a NEW nature, the nature of God. So it's not that we don't sin, but we should come to a place where we do not HABITUALLY sin.

Christianity is a practice, not a magical tranformation. But we have God's Holy Spirit who helps us become transformed.

It means then that if before I used to be a thief, after knowing Christ, I might steal again, but immediately afterwards I feel so bad for doing it, I correct my behaviour. That's the difference.
Once we have the nature of God, we should be convicted of sin, learn to hear his voice and correct our behaviours to become more like Him.

Amen to that!
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by islampride(m): 10:44am On Jan 17, 2007
so thats why the priest fagged those little boys,i see. and Bush kills iraqis.

uhmm, devils deception of the christians.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by mrpataki(m): 6:31pm On Jan 17, 2007
@ Islampride,
Sometimes i think, what is the point addressing you
Anyway will tell you this that the point you are making here goes to show that while we are still in the flesh, the things of the flesh will always want to take control, but thank God for his grace and mercy which are always new every morning, He makes us to overcome the urging of the flesh.

It only takes a man that is very well under God to know how to live in a world of everyday evil that we are in at the moment.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Ndipe(m): 10:55pm On Jan 17, 2007
Without Jesus Christ, life is meaningless.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by daungdon: 8:30am On Jan 19, 2007
uhmmmm.this islampride sha. o ga o.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Bobbyaf(m): 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2007
@ Seun

How can a "sinless" Christian commit a sin? If you are "sinless", then obviously there is no sin to confess.

Sounds a bit paradoxical, doesn't it? Well, in truth and in fact God looks at the trend of our lives rather than a slip here and there, because of our human nature.

So while we are maturing spiritually there are moments when we will come short, or miss the mark so to speak. So the very text that you remarked on implies that reality, but only as we recognize our weaknesses. No matter how good we think we are every time we kneel before the God of creation, we must confess our sins and faults, even while we think we might not have committed any. Sometimes we offend others without recognizing it.

Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by MP007(m): 6:28am On Jul 20, 2007
There is one thing to say to WINI, u are a fool a very big fool, quote 10 passages of the bible to support ur claim, isnt it the same bible that states that our so-called holliness is like rags before the lord, and that its only by grace? once again , u are a fool.God blesss u !
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by otuwe(f): 9:10am On Jul 20, 2007
MP007:

There is one thing to say to WINI, u are a fool a very big fool, quote 10 passages of the bible to support your claim, isnt it the same bible that states that our so-called holliness is like rags before the lord, and that its only by grace? once again , u are a fool.God blesss u !

guy dont u think this is abit harsh. the lady just said wat she understood from the bible which may or maynot be right but i dont think that makes her a fool.

@ winnie.

if u ask me i dont think believing in Christ makes u sinless cos that wud contadict Christ's saying "whatever u sow that shall u reap"
i can assure u that some armed robbers believe that Christ is the Son of God and they go to church on sunday and they even pay their tithe. are u then saying God sees these people as Sinless.

girlfriend i dont think so.

"whatsoever a man soweth that shall he reap"
forgiveness comes in the reaping cos thats when the cycle closes and the sin is then forgotten and u bcom as white as snow like the bible quotes.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by lafile(m): 9:25am On Jul 20, 2007
@ Topic
The Truth winie wrote at the start of the thread has been further expantiated (and competently so) by Shahan. There's no point crucifying her (MP007 shocked).
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Aproko(f): 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2007
for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God!! how then are we sinless?
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2007
Aproko:

for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God!! how then are we sinless?

by the cleansing with the blood of the lamb, the sinless one.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Aproko(f): 6:29pm On Jul 20, 2007
davidylan:

is that really enough to make one sinless? cos in that case a lot of people will fail to take responsibilities for their actions afterall, they have been cleansed by the blood of the lamb!!

i'm not starting an argument by the way, just hoping people dont indulge in all sorts of evil and thinking that their sins have been wiped away since 2000yrs ago!
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by Kuns: 6:36pm On Jul 20, 2007
When you say you be-lie-eve,
what are you really saying?

Belie-eve is want people say or do when they are not sure or don't know what they are talking about.

If you think you know what you are talking about when you say you belie-eve, then who do you believe will win the next world cup?

Why is it that when Chinese or Indian people go overseas they build temples and shrines, but when africans go overseas they go and build churches.

Why is Indian and chinese economies doing well compared to african economies? Could this be because they (Asian) worship images of themselves so they have co-operation amongst themselves. While Africans worship the images of their former colonial and Slave (imperialist) masters and this is why they (africans)are still looking up to them for hand-out, donations, aid and aids.

These europeans are laughing at you when they see you all worshiping their images be-lieing-to-eve (which is what you are, the descendants of eve)that you will get yours in heaven, while they get theirs on earth.
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by wifeypenth(f): 9:48am On Jul 21, 2007
*coughs*
unbelievers are not said to be sinners,a man who doesnt know or believe in christ cannot be seen as SINNERS in quote.the people who'll give account of sin are those who know Christ and believe in his word and still sin.these people are intentional sinners. We humans take GOD for a slowpoke or Dummy,we know sumthng is wrong and we do it,just because Jesus died 4our sins. Well sorry 2say scriptures do not refer 2sinners. Its beta not 2knw him at all than 2know him and keep repeating sin. His words can only be understood and interpreted by those who know him well.
Hallelujah
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by otuwe(f): 12:31pm On Jul 23, 2007
davidylan:

u wish!!! angry angry angry angry
Re: The Truth Most Christians Dont Know by pilgrim1(f): 12:38pm On Jul 23, 2007
otuwe:

davidylan link=topic=35595.msg1309604#msg1309604 date=1184950783:

u wish!!! angry angry angry angry

There's no need to be upset or to frown. That's what the Bible teaches; unless you have something contrary in the same Bible.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Smart"blue Film In Church? How Can!!! / Prisoners / General Election Shows That ALLAH Is Greater Than Xtian Gods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.