Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,487 members, 7,770,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:58 AM

Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island (87214 Views)

Giant Bush Rat That Was Killed At My Workplace :PHOTOS / The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw / Whale Found @ Agaja Beach, Bonny Island, Rivers State, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Seun(m): 12:30pm On Dec 05, 2005
Nairaland user Pharrod writes:
"The stinging Manta ray was killed when the oil rig servicing ship anchored at the middle of ocean near Bonny Island. The anchor of the ship brought the stinging ray up while the ship was about to sail. The stinging Manta ray was killed while resting at the ocean floor.

But guess what? It was sold to fishermen that was around when it was killed at the amount of five thousand naira only. It could have been preserved. My friend is one of the people on the ship deck."

Pretty cool, isn't it?
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by owo(m): 1:13pm On Dec 05, 2005
Interesting.... I'll find out more...
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Seun(m): 1:50pm On Dec 05, 2005
What would you like to know?
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by timmy(m): 3:16pm On Dec 05, 2005
if the ray tastes good grin
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by c0dec(m): 4:18pm On Dec 05, 2005
timmy:

if the ray tastes good grin

nice one. pity i dont like sea food. but i won't mind having that thing as a pet.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by prettyH(f): 4:35pm On Dec 05, 2005
Pls what sort of fish is that?

Seun:

Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by gentleone(f): 5:14pm On Dec 05, 2005
wow! what a fish! wonder what it would taste like? looks really interesting tongue
and dangerous too! @prettyH check out http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/stingin.htm
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by prettyH(f): 5:16pm On Dec 05, 2005
Thanks cheesy
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Scorpio(f): 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2005
i want to know what it tastes like tho

1 Like

Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by vexxy(f): 8:42pm On Dec 05, 2005
We get tons of sting rays in the Cheasapeak Bay in Annapolis, MD but none are of that size! Wow!
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by owo(m): 1:08pm On Dec 06, 2005
Seun:

I happen to be around the area now....
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by ijebuman(m): 2:04pm On Dec 06, 2005
cool pics

its a Manta ray and its the largest of the stingrays http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta_ray. I've seen stingrays in action at the Sydney Aquarium and they're pretty impressive creatures, they glide around in the water like a bird.

it's a shame this one was sold and not kept for research purposes as not too much is known about them

Manta Ray FAQ
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/topics/lh_manta_faq.htm

gentleone:

<snip> wonder what it would taste like?

probably like chicken grin
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Oracle(m): 11:28pm On Dec 06, 2005
OMO THAT ONE NA MIGHTY FISH
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by chigurl(f): 2:57am On Dec 07, 2005
hmm.. i love fish. i wish i could have a piece of some of that fish. i can taste it already. hmmmm.... tongue grin
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by alheri(f): 12:07pm On Dec 07, 2005
ijebuman, i totally agree with you about the research part but you know our people. Imagine selling it for a misery N5000 cry That is one big ray fish though , never seen any that big. Not even in a cartoon! grin Do you think there might be more out there?
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by larger20(m): 5:58am On Dec 19, 2005
Does this fish really sting? It will killl see im hight..
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by larger20(m): 6:01am On Dec 19, 2005
There must be really Gaint stuff in the Ocean.....I fear God when I see things like this..It makes me bow and respect
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by ocean: 10:18am On Feb 07, 2006
Its really a shame. Like one reader suggests, not much is known about these gentle giants of the ocean, and may even be endangered. They are totally harmless, and are filter feeders. The largest of the ones that have been recorded is 22 ft across. Imagine how they must glide effortlessly through the water! One web site even suggest that they are curious about humans. http://www.freedive.net/mantas/mantas.htm I hope we can all find wonder in such the amazing creatures that we know so little about and have some appreciation for all the strange yet facination life that exists out there. Once these creatures become extinct, they are gone forever. Here's more info: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/MantaRay/MantaRay.html
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by SIBLI06(m): 11:59am On Feb 13, 2006
On a weekly basis I see similar sized manta ray's like the one in d picture offshore Nigeria. They are beautifull creatures to watch.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by larger20(m): 3:49pm On Feb 13, 2006
I hear they dont hurt, why r we killing these fish
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by vichel(m): 9:37am On Feb 25, 2006
Its pretty impressive fish, and very big shocked
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by gigitte(f): 3:35am On Feb 28, 2006
err, it was a mistake, the anchor speared the fish as it was resting
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by burteeone(m): 8:27pm On Mar 07, 2006
see more pics about this Ray fish simply go to

www.seapics.com

tongue tongue tongue
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by nubian(m): 3:49am On Mar 25, 2006
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by GUNNER(f): 10:25pm On May 21, 2006
thats really Enormous shocked
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Awackson(m): 9:49am On May 22, 2006
This is a heavy fish, shocked
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 12, 2006
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
wow, so we have some mighty creatures like that in the sea
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Seun(m): 3:31pm On Jun 21, 2006
I bet it's really tasty; an undoubtedly rare culinary treat. I'm sure it's worth much more than 5,000 naira ($37).
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by bluemoon(f): 11:04am On Jun 22, 2006
shocked Wow! Never seen a thing like it before!
Quite amazing. I'm into animals and particularly rare species.Dont know how rare this though![color=#990000][/color]
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by carmelily: 12:25pm On Jun 26, 2006
nice one! how rare are manta rays, especially in naija? smiley
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by dblock(m): 3:22pm On Oct 07, 2006
larger_20:

I hear they don't hurt, why r we killing these fish
That's true but hey it's a fish, yummy (for the first time in my live i listened to my conscience)
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by segedoo(m): 10:10pm On Oct 12, 2006
pretty impressive.
that's th biggest sting ray i've ever seen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Brother's Trap Caught 2 Big Antelopes Today (Photos) / If I Can Do This, Do I Still Need A Girlfriend? (photos) / 5 Foods That Helps In Increasing Sperm Count.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.