Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,529 members, 7,770,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:50 AM

Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island (87216 Views)

Giant Bush Rat That Was Killed At My Workplace :PHOTOS / The Giant Scaly Fish That Stephanie Okereke Saw / Whale Found @ Agaja Beach, Bonny Island, Rivers State, Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by eghost247(m): 10:50pm On Mar 15, 2012
yeah it made home page
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by mukina2: 10:57pm On Mar 15, 2012
cool smiley
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by BlackBaron: 11:08pm On Mar 15, 2012
This thread is 6 years old though
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by doofanc: 11:17pm On Mar 15, 2012
Cool
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by doofanc: 11:18pm On Mar 15, 2012
Cool
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by lizzybabe1(f): 11:59pm On Mar 15, 2012
Link please.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by rosefleurs: 12:09am On Mar 16, 2012
kemmeye: and the i.d.i.o.t.s killed it and are taking pictures of the poor thing why. cry cry cry

Why are they idiots? It was probably dead after it became entangled at the bottom of the ocean as described. It's sad, but they didn't set out to kill the poor thing.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by KayDee4: 12:57am On Mar 16, 2012
lizzybabe1: Link please.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/33072/giant+manta+raised+from+the+depths+off+africa+by+ships+anchor/

That's a giant of a monster.

Old, but the yahoo story makes it sound like it happened just this week. undecided undecided . Guess its more publicity and foreign campaign for NL. wink wink
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Knorkastur: 2:07am On Mar 16, 2012
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by FEMARY(m): 4:43am On Mar 16, 2012
Need need to sell it.?
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 16, 2012
Never would have guessed
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by KINGwax(m): 8:22am On Mar 16, 2012
chigurl: hmm.. i love fish. i wish i could have a piece of some of that fish. i can taste it already. hmmmm.... tongue grin
^^
shey una dey hear this mammy water?
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by samyng(m): 8:57am On Mar 16, 2012
Nice One Nairaland
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by JUO(m): 9:58am On Mar 16, 2012
i saw this in yahoo link. does it mean they read our post?
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by eprynce(m): 11:12am On Mar 16, 2012
that fish can be really tasty..I've eaten it before...love it! wink
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by styles2009: 12:05pm On Mar 16, 2012
This to show,they dont care about what happened to news from Nigeria, after 6 years NL got yahoo firstpage with this fish story
Sad! tongue

Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Softball23: 3:42pm On Mar 16, 2012
This is completely unjust!!!! These people who killed this fish, a fish that only feeds on plankton, were at ZERO risk should be fired from their jobs! This is disgusting!! I am a female that was scared out of mind to swim with the Manta Ray but when I did, they were the most dossal and beautiful creatures I have ever seen. Maybe, this oil company should learn the laws of fishing or killing things that are protected.

Laws Protecting the Manta...
In 2011 Mantas became strictly protected in international waters thanks to its recent inclusion in the Convention on Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS). The CMS is an international treaty organization concerned with conserving migratory species and habitats on a global scale. Although individual nations already protected manta rays, it often migrates through unregulated waters, putting it at increased risk from overfishing.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by KayDee4: 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2012
Softball23: This is completely unjust!!!! These people who killed this fish, a fish that only feeds on plankton, were at ZERO risk should be fired from their jobs! This is disgusting!! I am a female that was scared out of mind to swim with the Manta Ray but when I did, they were the most dossal and beautiful creatures I have ever seen. Maybe, this oil company should learn the laws of fishing or killing things that are protected.

Laws Protecting the Manta...
In 2011 Mantas became strictly protected in international waters thanks to its recent inclusion in the Convention on Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS). The CMS is an international treaty organization concerned with conserving migratory species and habitats on a global scale. Although individual nations already protected manta rays, it often migrates through unregulated waters, putting it at increased risk from overfishing.

according to the story, it was killed by accident, when the ship dropped anchor and they only realized that when they were about to set sail and the anchor came up with it. Oil companies are not in the fishing business and will never deliberately go after fishes.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by Princewell2012(m): 11:58pm On Jun 22, 2012
larger_20: I hear they dont hurt, why r we killing these fish
may be it is because poverty grin
larger_20: I hear they dont hurt, why r we killing these fish
may be it is because of poverty
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by belemzy: 4:47pm On Aug 21, 2012
Very nice see food. We call it SIKA in Kalabari,and it'S quite expensive.The bones are biscuit bone. I wish na me buy am sha cheesy. Those fishermen wey buy am 5k go hail am nothing less than 20k.
Re: Pictures of Giant Manta Ray Fish Caught Near Bonny Island by tpiar: 7:15am On Mar 19, 2016
carmelily:
nice one! how rare are manta rays, especially in naija? smiley

probably extremely rare, never heard of any before this one.

although possibly coastal peoples might have been seeing some?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Brother's Trap Caught 2 Big Antelopes Today (Photos) / If I Can Do This, Do I Still Need A Girlfriend? (photos) / 5 Foods That Helps In Increasing Sperm Count.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.