Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,749 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? (2870 Views)

Biafra - The Great Nnamdi Kanu Get An Award In Enugu / How Ipob Can Use The Anambra Elections To Further Its Agenda / Can Nnamdi Kanu's IPOB Survive A Three Years War With FG? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by natruebdiz: 1:42pm On Jan 09, 2017
What might happen if Kanu get second bail bail tommorow? Your opinion counts.
Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by thepeople2020: 1:46pm On Jan 09, 2017
NO AND NO,IN THE ZOO'S COURT JUSTICE IS FORBIDDEN.

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by Iamwrath: 3:28pm On Jan 09, 2017
First of all ,

Justice is the legal or philosophical theory by which fairness is administered

In the 17th century, theorists like John Locke argued for the theory of natural law.

Reparative Justice is an approach to justice that focuses on restoring what is good, and necessarily focuses on the needs of victims and offenders

That being said , if you are asking for Justice for Nnamdi , you are asking for Nnamdi to catch a bullet, go to jail for 100 years or be hanged

In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more extreme acts against one's nation or sovereign.[1] Historically, treason also covered the murder of specific social superiors, such as the murder of a husband by his wife or that of a master by his servant. Treason against the king was known as high treason and treason against a lesser superior was petty treason. A person who commits treason is known in law as a traitor. Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aiding or involved by such an endeavor.

You seem to forget that treason is CAPITAL OFFENCE

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Under common law, punishment for treason generally included drawing, hanging, beheading, and quartering. As with other crimes carrying sentence of death, those adjudged guilty of treason and finally sentenced were considered attaint, or stained, meaning dead in the eyes of the law—even before execution. Once attainder was established, the attainted forfeited his real estate to the Crown—a requirement symbolizing lack of entitlement to the benefits of society. Attainder also worked corruption of blood, preventing the attainted from inheriting or transmitting property and preventing any person from deriving title through the attainted

William Blackstone in his Commentaries observed that the punishment for treason is “terrible in that the traitor is hanged by the neck, then cut down alive, that his entrails are then taken out, and burned, while he is yet alive,” and “that his head is cut off, and that his body is then divided into four parts.”

TAKE YOUR PICK OF JUSTICE FOR NNAMDI

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by pchukwudi: 4:21pm On Jan 09, 2017
Kanu is NOT accused of treason. He is accused of treasonable felony. Two different things. But the most important thing is that Kanu pleads NOT GUILTY.

So unless you are a kid, judgement should not be interpreted to favor only the prosecutor. There are two parties and two sides to the case. And below is the other side of the matter.

Iamwrath:

All of all ,

http://www.djetlawyer.com/treason-treasonable-felony/

The Jet Lawyer
TREASON AND TREASONABLE FELONY

May 30, 2016 Olanrewaju Olamide NIGERIAN CRIMINAL LAW

The major difference between treason and treasonable felony is the fact that while treason is punishable by death, treasonable felony is punishable by life imprisonment[1].

The Offence of Treason
Treason has been defined by the Black’s law dictionary 9th editions as:

The offense of attempting to overthrow the government of the state to which one owes allegiance, either by making war against the state or by materially supporting its enemies.
According to the provision of the Criminal Code, anyone who levies war against the state in order to intimidate or overawe the president or governor of a state is guilty of treason and should be punished by death[2].

The Criminal Code also categorises as treason anyone who conspires with others, either within or outside Nigeria, to levy war against Nigeria[3]. It is also treason to instigate a foreigner to invade Nigeria with an armed force[4] See: Enahoro vs. Queen[5] .

It should be noted that if any person who is under the age of 18 is involved in treason, such person would not be executed but would be detained on the pleasure of the president[6]. Similarly, S. 39(2) of the Criminal Code provides that if a pregnant woman participates in treason, the procedure stated in S.376 of the Criminal Procedure Act should be followed[7].

Whether or not the persons involved in act of treason are military personnel is immaterial. Also, the number of persons carrying out the act is not a factor in determining the offence. The essence of waging the war must be for general or public purpose, if it just for private reasons, it would best be regarded as a riot or public disturbance.

No person can be convicted of treason unless he pleads guilty or there are more than two witnesses to attest to the fact that he committed the offence[8]

The Offence of Treasonable Felony
According to the Black’s law Dictionary 9th Edition, treasonable felony is:

An act that shows an intention of committing treason, unaccompanied by any further act to carry out that intention. This offense usu. results in life imprisonment rather than the death penalty
Acts which constitute treasonable felony in Nigeria are contained in the provisions of S. 40 to S.43 of the Criminal Code.

The first instance of treasonable felony is contained in S. 40. According to this provision, anyone who becomes an accessory after the fact to treason or has knowledge that some people want to commit treason but doesn’t report to the appropriate authorities, is guilty is a treasonable felony and would be punished by life imprisonment.

Also, the Criminal Code in the provision of S.41 punishes by life imprisonment anyone that forms an intention to carry out the offence of treason.

It should however be noted that a person charged with the intention to commit treason cannot use proof of actual treason as a defence. On the other hand, a person that has been discharged and acquitted of the offence of intention to commit treason cannot be charged for treason.

It is also a treasonable felony for anyone to prepare, advise, aid or participate in any act of war against a traditional chief or a band of citizens[9].

It should be noted that according to the provisions of S.43 of the Criminal Code, a person cannot be tried for treason or treasonable felony if the offence is tried two years after the commission of the act. `

References

[1] See S.37 to 43 of the Criminal Code or S.410 to 415 of the Penal Code

[2] S.37(1) Criminal Code

[3] S.37(2) Criminal Code

[4] S. 38 Criminal Code

[5] (1965) vol 1 ANLR

[6] S.39(1)

[7] The procedure stated here is one that concerns the reduction of a capital punishment to life imprisonment in the case of a pregnant woman.

[8] Omishade vs Queen

[9] S.42 Criminal Code

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by Kamanuozuzu: 6:31pm On Jan 09, 2017
Iamwrath:
First of all ,

Justice is the legal or philosophical theory by which fairness is administered

In the 17th century, theorists like John Locke argued for the theory of natural law.

Reparative Justice is an approach to justice that focuses on restoring what is good, and necessarily focuses on the needs of victims and offenders

That being said , if you are asking for Justice for Nnamdi , you are asking for Nnamdi to catch a bullet, go to jail for 100 years or be hanged

In law, treason is the crime that covers some of the more extreme acts against one's nation or sovereign.[1] Historically, treason also covered the murder of specific social superiors, such as the murder of a husband by his wife or that of a master by his servant. Treason against the king was known as high treason and treason against a lesser superior was petty treason. A person who commits treason is known in law as a traitor. Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aiding or involved by such an endeavor.

You seem to forget that treason is CAPITAL OFFENCE

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

Under common law, punishment for treason generally included drawing, hanging, beheading, and quartering. As with other crimes carrying sentence of death, those adjudged guilty of treason and finally sentenced were considered attaint, or stained, meaning dead in the eyes of the law—even before execution. Once attainder was established, the attainted forfeited his real estate to the Crown—a requirement symbolizing lack of entitlement to the benefits of society. Attainder also worked corruption of blood, preventing the attainted from inheriting or transmitting property and preventing any person from deriving title through the attainted

William Blackstone in his Commentaries observed that the punishment for treason is “terrible in that the traitor is hanged by the neck, then cut down alive, that his entrails are then taken out, and burned, while he is yet alive,” and “that his head is cut off, and that his body is then divided into four parts.”

TAKE YOUR PICK OF JUSTICE FOR NNAMDI

He was never accused of Treason but Treasonable Felony. They are not equal and same offence, OK?

Google is ur friend. Make judicious use of it!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by hmuhammad(m): 6:34pm On Jan 09, 2017
Chukwu Okike Abiama will save him

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by QuotaSystem: 6:50pm On Jan 09, 2017
So NK has plead not guilty, but the video evidence proves otherwise.

If NK is eventually found guilty by the court in light of evidence presented by the prosecution, then he can expect to rot in jail as life imprisonment is stipulated as the punishment for treasonable felony.

I hope NK and Nigeria both get justice.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by PatriotTemidayo: 6:53pm On Jan 09, 2017
The first dignity of man is Justice. If the law is still dispassionate and unbiased, he should be released without further Ado.....
But when last was justice celebrated and elevated in Nigeria?? A long time ago, I guess.

5 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by Paretomaster(m): 7:35pm On Jan 09, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:
The first dignity of man is Justice. If the law is still dispassionate and unbiased, he should be released without further Ado.....
But when last was justice celebrated and elevated in Nigeria?? A long time ago, I guess.

and why should he be released?...pls goggle all his videos, and nonsense he was busy spewing on Radio Biafra...........

4 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:
Stop deceiving yourself. There is more than enough evidence to lock that animal up for life. His video and audio are many on YouTube to nail him.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by PatriotTemidayo: 7:59pm On Jan 09, 2017
Paretomaster:

and why should he be released?...pls goggle all his videos, and nonsense he was busy spewing on Radio Biafra...........
If people are supposed to be behind bar because of hate speeches and bare-face propaganda, as many as Lai Muhammad, Femi-Fani Kayode and Even Buhari should be in jail by now......but I guess its one stroke for one and another stroke for the other......

6 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by PatriotTemidayo: 8:04pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

Stop deceiving yourself. There is more than enough evidence to lock that animal up for life. His video and audio are many on YouTube to nail him.
Sir, I am not deceiving myself, I am saying what happens in Sane societies. He's been under lock since about a year now. Whether or not he's guilty is not my discretion, but since the law already granted him bail, Justice demands that he's released.
I know many will rush to talk about the court that denied him bail, and my question is:
"why is govt reluctant to obey the first order, but couldn't wait to enforce the second?".
You see, my brother, a true Justice doesn't descend into the arena.....by that, I mean, the law is not emotional or sensational. I hope you understand what that means.

7 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by zendy: 8:06pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

Some people attach too much importance to the video on youtube. A Lawyer said it here that there many things Kanu could say he wanted the guns for and nothing will happen.

All Kanu needs to say is that he was soliciting for guns to go hunting in his village and prosecution is finished. They will have to prove that Kanu was looking for Guns to fight Nigeria and how will they prove that? The court is not interested in sentiments but provable facts.

4 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by vedaxcool(m): 8:08pm On Jan 09, 2017
zendy:

Some people attach too much importance to the video on youtube. A Lawyer said it here that there many things Kanu could say he wanted the guns for and nothing will happen.

All Kanu needs to say is that he was soliciting for guns to go hunting in his village and prosecution is finished. They will have to prove that Kanu was looking for Guns to fight Nigeria and how will they prove that? The court is not interested in sentiments but provable facts.

Yet Cownu is scared of trial and has been foolishly stalling his own trial so that he can enjoy Iya roobu Natioanl Approved Watery Beans... grin grin grin grin we dey laugh the bastardo wey join women beating to his wickedness

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 8:11pm On Jan 09, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:

Sir, I am not deceiving myself, I am saying what happens in Sane societies. He's been under lock since about a year now. Whether or not he's guilty is not my discretion, but since the law already granted him bail, Justice demands that he's released.
I know many will rush to talk about the court that denied him bail, and my question is:
"why is govt reluctant to obey the first order, but couldn't wait to enforce the second?".
You see, my brother, a true Justice doesn't descend into the arena.....by that, I mean, the law is not emotional or sensational. I hope you understand what that means.
It seems you're genuinely not aware of the facts of the matter.

1. Kanu upon arrest was first arraigned for illegal possession of firearms
2. While that case was being heard, another charge bothering on treasonable felony was slammed on him.
3. Truth he was granted bail on the first charge of illegal possession of firearms but he was promptly re-arrested for the charge of treasonable felony offense which is not bailable.
4. Till date, no court has granted him bail on the 2nd charge and no one will.

So, if you have any proof contrary to my submission, pls bring it forth.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 8:14pm On Jan 09, 2017
zendy:

That lawyer needs to be derobed. He must be a charge-and-bail lawyer.

Kanu clearly stated he needed arms and ammunitions to destroy nigeria and her security personnel. He clearly asked Igbos to start killing Yorubas and Hausas.

If that yeye lawyer is dumb, must you guys be?

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by vedaxcool(m): 8:15pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

Thay lawyer needs to be derobed. He must be a charge-and-bail lawyer.

Kanu clearly stated he needed arms and ammunitions to destroy nigeria and her security personnel. He clearly asked Igbos to start killing Yorubas and Hausas.

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by zendy: 8:21pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

Thay lawyer needs to be derobed. He must be a charge-and-bail lawyer.

That video cannot be used in court to achieve anything. There are many there are many things Kanu can say in his defence. He could even say that he was speaking metaphorically and the guns in and bullets he talked about in the video was just political talk. The judge in a case is only after provable facts. Even I could upload a video where Im asking for weapons to go to war with Nigeria, but if the case got to court, I could say that it was all a prank and the prosecution will have to prove to the judge that I really meant it. How are they going to do that? Are they inside my head? In court, its all about what you can prove.

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by Uteghe(m): 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2017
If Kanu is denied bail by the Fed High court,he can get bail at Lawn tennis court. Court is court. cheesy cheesy grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2017
zendy:

That video cannot be used in court to achieve anything. There are many there are many things Kanu can say in his defence. He could even say that he was speaking metaphorically and the guns in and bullets he talked about in the video was just political talk. The judge in a case is only after provable facts. Even I could upload a video where Im asking for weapons to go to war with Nigeria, but if the case got to court, I could say that it was all a prank and the prosecution will have to prove to the judge that I really meant it. How are they going to do that? Are they inside my head? In court, its all about what you can prove.
No pun intended, how old are you pls?

6 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by PatriotTemidayo: 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

It seems you're genuinely not aware of the facts of the matter.

1. Kanu upon arrest was first arraigned for illegal possession of firearms
2. While that case was being heard, another charge bothering on treasonable felony was slammed on him.
3. Truth he was granted bail on the first charge of illegal possession of firearms but he was promptly re-arrested for the charge of treasonable felony offense which is not bailable.
4. Till date, no court has granted him bail on the 2nd charge and no one will.

So, if you have any proof contrary to my submission, pls bring it forth.
Illegal possession of firearms was dismissed because he's licensed. I am not taking part in the whole process but Whenever a govt has a case with a person, all sorts of things surfaces, we've seen it b4....
I repeat again, if the court in its wisdom grants him bail, he should be released. All other narratives are story for the gods.......
What is the govt doing with the guys who doesn't only carry firearms but killed thousands of Nigerians in the name of Boko Haram?? Are they not said to be REHABILITATED??
Funny country.

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2017
vedaxcool:

grin grin grin grin
Too many kids here i swear.

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by LecciGucci: 8:25pm On Jan 09, 2017
Tommorrw na tommorrow
Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by waledeji(m): 8:27pm On Jan 09, 2017
Uteghe:
If Kanu is denied bail by the Fed High court,he can get bail at Lawn tennis court. Court is court. cheesy cheesy grin

Weyrey cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by zendy: 8:28pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

If you have a legal counter arguement, you say it instead of asking irrelevant questions. It may also interest people to know that a person cannot be jailed in any democratic country because of spoken words. So it doesnt matter what Kanu said in the video or any video, if he never backed it up with actions, the court will throw it out.
Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 8:29pm On Jan 09, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:

Illegal possession of firearms was dismissed because he's licensed. I am not taking part in the whole process but Whenever a govt has a case with a person, all sorts of things surfaces, we've seen it b4....
I repeat again, if the court in its wisdom grants him bail, he should be released. All other narratives are story for the gods.......
What is the govt doing with the guys who doesn't only carry firearms but killed thousands of Nigerians in the name of Boko Haram?? Are they not said to be REHABILITATED??
Funny country.
So you know Kanu has not been granted bail for treasonable felony charge yet you keep saying he was granted bail! Na wa for some of you guys ooo.

And those BH terrorists, pls tell me some of their names and their other details so we can ask the govt to arrest them and charge them to court instead of allowing the NA deal with them as they're doing.

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by DropShot: 8:32pm On Jan 09, 2017
zendy:

If you have a legal counter arguement, you say it instead of asking irrelevant questions. It may also interest people to know that a person cannot be jailed in any democratic country because of spoken words. So it doesnt matter what Kanu said in the video or any video, if he never backed it up with actions, the court will throw it out.
You keep making more ridiculous and absurd statements not expected of a matured and enlightened adult.
Anyone who says a person can't be jailed because of spoken words is not worth my time.

Good night.

3 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by Anago5000: 8:36pm On Jan 09, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:

If people are supposed to be behind bar because of hate speeches and bare-face propaganda, as many as Lai Muhammad, Femi-Fani Kayode and Even Buhari should be in jail by now......but I guess its one stroke for one and another stroke for the other......
are you really an afonja sorry yorrubad?

2 Likes

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by ShakaZullu(m): 8:36pm On Jan 09, 2017
PatriotTemidayo:

add Amaechi parallel government and Elrufai Jonathanian army speech

shameless hypocrite dropshot
Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by zendy: 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

You keep making more ridiculous and absurd statements not expected of a matured and enlightened adult.
Anyone who says a person can't be jailed because of spoken words is not worth my time.

Good night.

I challenge you yo give me one example of a person who has been jailed for spoken words in Nigeria during democratic times. Give me just one. The only way a person can be jailed just on spoken words alone is if the person breached the official secrets acts by revealing state secrets to an unauthorised person. Kanu does not fall within that area.

1 Like

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by ShakaZullu(m): 8:39pm On Jan 09, 2017
DropShot:

you're older than him but he has more functioning brain than a shameless body language analyser like you

1 Like

Re: IPOB: Can Nnamdi Kanu Get Justice Tomorrow? by limgezzy(m): 8:56pm On Jan 09, 2017
Tommorow will tell....... For me nigeria cant jail nnadi kanu.... This is not the erra of saro wiwa

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Biafran Threatend To Kill Himself If Buhari Did Not Die. (see Photos) / World Cattle Inventory- USDA (Pics) / Kwankwaso, Through Kwankwasiyya Group Paid Many Who Came To Abuja. #rentedcrowd.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.