Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

On Vacation: New York City - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Vacation: New York City (212453 Views)

Photos Of Frozen Homes In New York After Snowstorm, Trapped Residents For Days / 5 Things Most Nigerians Do On Vacation Abroad / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth On A Plane En Route New York - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (53) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Electroweb(m): 4:23pm On May 12, 2017
jayriginal:

There's no link. Do a search online and you'll come up with something.

Eg, Google "how much do X earn in X country. Go to sites like payscale and do your research.

Okay.
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 7:06pm On May 12, 2017
Nig4Greatness:
Nice one..but New York is the worst city in US to visit on vacation. What happens to the likes of Las Vegas,Miami or Orlando florida,Hawaii, Los Angeles and some whole more?.I have been all there and I can spot the difference.Good luck next time.
To each his own... if NYC is the worst... why does it attract the most visitors? If you are like a racist.... a White Supremist... then I can agree with you because NYC is one big melting pot.... you just can't avoid other races... they are always in your face.... and your very own will give you he'll for being a racist. Besides that... what else does those cities have to offer that NYC doesn't? ...Walmart? For every one interesting you can name in any of those cities...NYC has at least 5 more options. Las Vegas... if I don't like gambling nor the strip shows.... tell us what else we can do there ...in the middle of the desert.

15 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 7:42pm On May 12, 2017
Electroweb:
Nice pix. Keep the pictures coming. I think you can do some investigative reporting like finding out how much handy men (plumbers, mechanics, electricians, security guards, mcdonalds, starbucks etc) make over there so that guys that want to go and hustle there will know how much they will likely earn. How much is earned per hour? Cost of accomodation for one room? Things like that. What do you think?
Interesting!... before coming to hustle... one should know that these jobs require papers. Frank can testify....and should one follow his testimony... one can learn that flipping burgers at a burger joint is not as simple a job as it seems.
There is National Minimum Wage.... $7.50/hr.... then various States have their own... and even Cities have their own MW but none can be below the Federal's. New York City is $9.50/hr...and by end of 2018... $15/hr.
If you have no papers... you take what you get.. and people will exploit you. To land jobs at companies, with the City etc.... even as Bricklayers... certification is necessary... to be a Guard...certification is necessary. Skilled workers... plumbers, bricklayers, carpenters, painters, roofers, mechanics are well paid.... rough average... $35/hr minimum...or in a small private workshop...a salary is mostly agreed upon. As a customer taking your car to a shop.... they generally charge for time... $70 /hr. As a well known expert roadside mechanic coming to hustle.... good luck.... they are here too!
In all ...everything varies from State to State.... NYC ..more job opportunities available... but then there is a greater number of people with experience that will be trying to get that same job.Like Frank also said.... communication problem.... it takes time for you as a newbie to understand what the locals are saying... and for them to understand what you are saying... all the at home "Yankee accent "wouldn't cut it here. It takes time to adapt. NYC is wayyy easier to adapt because people here are used to hearing all these foreign accents...so in coming to hustle...besides papers... is a whole lot of hurdles one has to face and need to make as much preparations instead of just travelling and following ones heart.
Lastly.... housing... papers... people want to know who you are. .. that you work.. your work history.. (documents)...before they can hook you up! One bedroom... a single bed... a small ..very small table, ...space just enough for you to get dressed... $125/week if you are lucky.... but you will be sharing the bathroom, toilet and kitchen with otherssssssss! That's NYC for you. Hope this helped.
Below.... a Private Plumbing contractor...doing plumbing for a 3 family house being renovated... hot/cold water... sewerage etc.... anything goes wrong because of bad work... tenant sues the landlord for damages... landlord sues you the contractor for shoddy work... so why should the contractor hire a man off the street that says he knows plumbing?...see the risk he will be taking?...but they do at times but don't raise your pay expectations.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Electroweb(m): 9:02pm On May 12, 2017
Originalsly:
Interesting!... before coming to hustle... one should know that these jobs require papers. Frank can testify....and should one follow his testimony... one can learn that flipping burgers at a burger joint is not as simple a job as it seems.
There is National Minimum Wage.... $7.50/hr.... then various States have their own... and even Cities have their own MW but none can be below the Federal's. New York City is $9.50/hr...and by end of 2018... $15/hr.
If you have no papers... you take what you get.. and people will exploit you. To land jobs at companies, with the City etc.... even as Bricklayers... certification is necessary... to be a Guard...certification is necessary. Skilled workers... plumbers, bricklayers, carpenters, painters, roofers, mechanics are well paid.... rough average... $35/hr minimum...or in a small private workshop...a salary is mostly agreed upon. As a customer taking your car to a shop.... they generally charge for time... $70 /hr. As a well known expert roadside mechanic coming to hustle.... good luck.... they are here too!
In all ...everything varies from State to State.... NYC ..more job opportunities available... but then there is a greater number of people with experience that will be trying to get that same job.Like Frank also said.... communication problem.... it takes time for you as a newbie to understand what the locals are saying... and for them to understand what you are saying... all the at home "Yankee accent "wouldn't cut it here. It takes time to adapt. NYC is wayyy easier to adapt because people here are used to hearing all these foreign accents...so in coming to hustle...besides papers... is a whole lot of hurdles one has to face and need to make as much preparations instead of just travelling and following ones heart.
Lastly.... housing... papers... people want to know who you are. .. that you work.. your work history.. (documents)...before they can hook you up! One bedroom... a single bed... a small ..very small table, ...space just enough for you to get dressed... $125/week if you are lucky.... but you will be sharing the bathroom, toilet and kitchen with otherssssssss! That's NYC for you. Hope this helped.
Below.... a Private Plumbing contractor...doing plumbing for a 3 family house being renovated... hot/cold water... sewerage etc.... anything goes wrong because of bad work... tenant sues the landlord for damages... landlord sues you the contractor for shoddy work... so why should the contractor hire a man off the street that says he knows plumbing?...see the risk he will be taking?...but they do at times but don't raise your pay expectations.

Thanks for the info. I actually wanted to compare the earning power of handy men over there with the ones in Nigeria. The earning and spending power is definitely higher in the US than in Nigeria. So guys thinking of greener pastures in the US are sure of earning money but also spending it. Then training/ certification/documentation is very important. This will take sometime to get. Any person going to the US will need to stay with someone for sometime to get these things. Same also for all other developed countries. Therefore, guys look before you leap.

1 Like

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 10:08am On May 14, 2017
NYC.....upper Manhattan...Washington Heights. Mainly immigrants from the Dominican Republic live in this section of the city. The main language spoken here is Spanish... and not the Spanish as spoken in Spain... more South American version...Banana Island pidgin vs Warri pidgin! This is one of the most densely populated parts of the city. As seen in pics.... entire block... walls of housing.

4 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 5:20pm On May 15, 2017
NYC...Brooklyn Downtown Business District Reconstruction and Revitalization. ... they have been demolishing small and not so small buildings in this area to make way for new high rises.
This one is especially for the architects and civil engineers in the house! I managed to sneak a few steps into the construction site and snap a few shots before being chased out! This is the foundation level of a 57 storey high rise.Will revisit and update in a few weeks.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 5:25pm On May 15, 2017
NYC....Pedestrian overpass?...nooooo!....stairs leading up to train overhead train!

2 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 5:41pm On May 15, 2017
NYC...a new snack that was being promoted at the supermarket.... bought it.. tasted very good... returned to stock up... sold out! If ever you see it..grab it!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Vacation: New York City by austinelex: 12:22am On May 16, 2017
pls bros don't b offended can i know how much visa application n flight ticket wud cost to d us on a 4 days vacation n also is 800k eligible for my apolication n flight ticket pls
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Nobody: 9:18pm On May 17, 2017
Originalsly:
NYC.....upper Manhattan...Washington Heights. Mainly immigrants from the Dominican Republic live in this section of the city. The main language spoken here is Spanish... and not the Spanish as spoken in Spain... more South American version...Banana Island pidgin vs Warri pidgin! This is one of the most densely populated parts of the city. As seen in pics.... entire block... walls of housing.
I drove past there last night. Empire state of mind! Proudly New Yorker !

1 Like

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 10:40pm On May 17, 2017
NYC.....the hustle is real...uptown... mobile "mama puts ".... especially in Hispanic/Spanish hoods. .. breakfast, lunch and dinner always available on point for the street soldiers! In pic.... Dominican Republic dishes...other..Mexican favoirites!

4 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by austinelex: 11:53pm On May 17, 2017
at originalsly pls i want to go to d us on a 4 days vacation and i am doing a one man business wat are d documents wud take along with me to d embasy pls ur advice wud help a struggling broda
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:40am On May 18, 2017
austinelex:
at originalsly pls i want to go to d us on a 4 days vacation and i am doing a one man business wat are d documents wud take along with me to d embasy pls ur advice wud help a struggling broda
I really don't know much about documents for business etc.... go to Travel Section.. Ask a Visa Counselor. ... they will give you all the answers.
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 9:07pm On May 19, 2017
NYC...run in to yet another movie set.... can't miss them... they take up lotssss of parking spaces with their equipment trailers...lighting trailers and rigs... sound trailers... dressing trailers... fruit stand .snack stand and on and on!...not surprising their movies costs sooo much to make!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Afam4eva(m): 9:37pm On May 19, 2017
Originalsly:
NYC.....the hustle is real...uptown... mobile "mama puts ".... especially in Hispanic/Spanish hoods. .. breakfast, lunch and dinner always available on point for the street soldiers! In pic.... Dominican Republic dishes...other..Mexican favoirites!
Let me know when you spot Iya basira grin
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Nobody: 11:53pm On May 19, 2017
Afam4eva:

Let me know when you spot Iya basira grin

grin na that one be the koko. With assorted meat, shaky, brokoto, cowleg, goat meat, round about chaiiiiii and they wonder why Iya festus is my first port of call from airport cry
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Kakamorufu(m): 8:27am On May 20, 2017
Very very educative. Nice one op
Re: On Vacation: New York City by austinelex: 12:41am On May 21, 2017
pls at originalasly minus air ticket pls is 300k eligible for a visa
Re: On Vacation: New York City by SlowlybtSurely: 10:18am On May 21, 2017
austinelex:
pls at originalasly minus air ticket pls is 300k eligible for a visa

Tourist visa is about 62k.
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:24pm On May 21, 2017
NYC...Manhattan...travelling from Uptown (Harlem) to Midtown (42nd St area ..the heart of NYC).1) Harlem...residential... part of huge Condo complex. 2. Hell Gate ...aka Spanish Harlem..do I have to say why?! ...these kind red brick buildings are oldddd....late 1800's early 1900's ...before cars as we know them today... before elevators were common...so most of these buildings are walk ups..5/6 floors and never have garages or driveways. (think maintenance culture!). 3. Midtown...east side..2nd Ave...view going downtown. Note cable car (Fashola's pick for mass transit)...takes mainly tourists to Roosevelt Island... an small island in the East River also accessible by subway...one of the deepest subway stations since it's under the river bed. Note tallll skinny building in background. 4.Well....I tried to snap this tall building from close up!...you like counting?..count the floors and I know our kind people will not have the guts to be sitting chilling on the cloud high patio!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Vacation: New York City by AlphaStyles(m): 5:00pm On May 21, 2017
Originalsly:
NYC...Manhattan...travelling from Uptown (Harlem) to Midtown (42nd St area ..the heart of NYC).1) Harlem...residential... part of huge Condo complex. 2. Hell Gate ...aka Spanish Harlem..do I have to say why?! ...these kind red brick buildings are oldddd....late 1800's early 1900's ...before cars as we know them today... before elevators were common...so most of these buildings are walk ups..5/6 floors and never have garages or driveways. (think maintenance culture!). 3. Midtown...east side..2nd Ave...view going downtown. Note cable car (Fashola's pick for mass transit)...takes mainly tourists to Roosevelt Island... an small island in the East River also accessible by subway...one of the deepest subway stations since it's under the river bed. Note tallll skinny building in background. 4.Well....I tried to snap this tall building from close up!...you like counting?..count the floors and I know our kind people will not have the guts to be sitting chilling on the cloud high patio!

keep em coming thumbs up
Re: On Vacation: New York City by electronic(m): 7:48pm On May 21, 2017
Originalsly:
To each his own... if NYC is the worst... why does it attract the most visitors? If you are like a racist.... a White Supremist... then I can agree with you because NYC is one big melting pot.... you just can't avoid other races... they are always in your face.... and your very own will give you he'll for being a racist. Besides that... what else does those cities have to offer that NYC doesn't? ...Walmart? For every one interesting you can name in any of those cities...NYC has at least 5 more options. Las Vegas... if I don't like gambling nor the strip shows.... tell us what else we can do there ...in the middle of the desert.
On Point!!
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:31am On May 24, 2017
NYC...in stores...shopping . .browsing! ...this one dedicated to the ladies and their never ending hunt for better hair treatments!

1 Like

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:42am On May 24, 2017
NYC....browsing...interesting!...this one is dedicated to the ladies not at all pleased with their natural complexion.... and prefer to bleach... ehmmm.... erase their natural skin colour!

4 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:47am On May 24, 2017
NYC....a little time out for the guys!...as they try ID these two!

2 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:52am On May 24, 2017
NYC....back to the ladies! ..now really browsing with absolutely no intentions of buying!...in full cheapo mode!

2 Likes

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 4:58am On May 24, 2017
NYC...dedicated to the guys. ..playas...ballers.... impressionists!

1 Like

Re: On Vacation: New York City by Nobody: 5:56am On May 24, 2017
Originalsly:
NYC...in stores...shopping . .browsing! ...this one dedicated to the ladies and their never ending hunt for better hair treatments!

This one is for me. My love for natural hair treatments though grin cool
Re: On Vacation: New York City by electronic(m): 7:08am On May 24, 2017
Sparkles everywhere!!!
cool. shocked
Re: On Vacation: New York City by austinelex: 11:07pm On May 25, 2017
at originalsly how much does ipone7 n samsung galaxy x8 cost in us i learnt dat it very cheap over there
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 11:17am On May 26, 2017
austinelex:
at originalsly how much does ipone7 n samsung galaxy x8 cost in us i learnt dat it very cheap over there
iPhone 7...cheapest around $750. Samsung S8...cheap... around $1000. And yes... there are lots of clones... cheap.
Re: On Vacation: New York City by Originalsly: 11:36am On May 28, 2017
NYC....view of downtown Brooklyn skyline from Manhattan. Bridges: Manhattan Bridge (foreground)... and Brooklyn Bridge .

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (53) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.