Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,687 members, 7,820,395 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Photo: What Does Your State Bring To The Table For Sharing In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photo: What Does Your State Bring To The Table For Sharing In Nigeria (1589 Views)

The Changes The “Not Too Young To Run” Act Will Bring To Nigerian / Name One Project President Buhari Initiated And Has Completed In Your State / INEC Releases Time-table For Recalling Melaye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo: What Does Your State Bring To The Table For Sharing In Nigeria by Sibrah: 1:25pm On Jan 13, 2017
fastjett:

But they are not Lagos state investment, some of them are federal govt.investment in Lagos state like the sea port while others are private investment that generate the VAT you are talking about. What is natural or indigenous in Lagos state that produced wealth for the FG. As far as am concern its only the Niger Delta states that feeds other states plus FG investment in Lagos state.
Lagos produces tax because it is more conducive to import through it. Try importing through Warri port and see what I mean.
Re: Photo: What Does Your State Bring To The Table For Sharing In Nigeria by Sibrah: 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2017
fastjett:

The contribution from Lagos state is from the Federal Govt. Investment in Lagos like the sea port not that is Lagos state own. So as far as am concern its the Niger Delta states that feeds other state.
I agree '80%' with you. The income from ND is what fuels the activity in Lagos port. The ND is the primary contributor. Lagos is a secondary contributor down the impact chain. North and other farming state are retainers - they help retain the wealth of ND that has be explored by reducing amount we take outside to import food. The exporters of food i.e exporting farmer or exporting industrialist are the most impactful contributors in the sense that they earn forex without cornering anybody natural resources.
Re: Photo: What Does Your State Bring To The Table For Sharing In Nigeria by Blue3k(m): 2:22pm On Jan 13, 2017
@Sibrah and @fastjett. Do you twould feel if the other coastal states had bigger ports than lagos (entirely possible) they would dwarf lagos. Since lagos has no transpent book keeping. I can't find how they raise revenue and what sources bring most money to state.

Second Sibrah you mention the Lagos exports are secondary. I think your saying the items it exports have their origin in annother state. Seems interesting but NBS should do study in it. It seems interesting to know.

It reminds me of how Igbo people boast about being biggest importers keeping port busy. Where are the stats to back it up. I doubt NBS will look into that. They should focus their work on states, zips codes and cities.

I personally think lagos economic supremacy can't be all thanks to port. There's too much going on for it to be that simple. It would also imply if let's say Akwa-Ibom actually built it's port it would compete with Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Photo: What Does Your State Bring To The Table For Sharing In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 13, 2017
fastjett:

But they are not Lagos state investment, some of them are federal govt.investment in Lagos state like the sea port while others are private investment that generate the VAT you are talking about. What is natural or indigenous in Lagos state that produced wealth for the FG. As far as am concern its only the Niger Delta states that feeds other states plus FG investment in Lagos state.
Why would Lasg invest for fg to benefit? Well, if you want to play it that way. The oil in ND belongs to FG and not the respective states

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Message To Buhari Written On N500 Note Twitter User Withdrew From An ATM / What I Discussed With President Buhari — Donald Trump / Paris Club Refund: Presidency Releases Details, SEE How Much Each State Got

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.