Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,159 members, 7,825,628 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke (28441 Views)

Poll: Mourinho is

Over-rated: 36% (4 votes)
Simply good: 63% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Is Louis Van Gaal Still A Tactical Genius? / Genius Messi Breaks Another Record Set By Raul. / Cesc Fabregas - The Spanish Genius At The Heart Of Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 8:03am On Nov 25, 2009
I have followed the career of Jose Mourinho since early in the century and I personally feel he is overrated.

He won the CL with Porto and the only top opposition he defeated was Man utd (controversially) That same season he lost woefully to Real Madrid in the groups.

He came to Chelsea spent a lot of money and won 2 EPL titles. And a lot of people ranked him as one of the best in the game.

His record at another big club INTER MILAN is nothing short of dismal.

Last season He struggled to qualify in a group of Panathinaikos, Anarthosis and Werder Bremen actually through last season he only managed 2 wins in the CL what was the excuse (Still learning the ropes)

This season placed in a group of Barcelona, Rubin Kazan and Kiev, He has only won one game - a last minute effort against Kiev.

His Supporters would argue he has won the league in 3 different places, But realistically, Any not-so-smart person would win the league with FC Porto and even Inter Milan (Post Calcicopoli) Mancini who wasnt highly rated won with Inter.

Now I ask what has Mourinho done to deserve the hype that follows him everywhere?

Watching his side play against a depleted Barcelona yesterday and looked so clueless I wonder what the "Special one" has added to Inter Milan

I personally think he is a good motivator like Klinsmann but technically and tactically deficient
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 8:13am On Nov 25, 2009
his rise to stardom is just because of scholesy's disallowed goal

he'll probably still be at Porto or Rio Aves

Hes a good man manager nonetheless and his hunger for glory will always push him to the right places

Hes not a bad one and can manage any decent side ( provided cash dey to spend)

Jose is good; hyped? i dunno but not amongst the best ive seen

Capello, Lippi, SAF, Wenger, Hitzfield, Hiddink are better
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Ibime(m): 8:15am On Nov 25, 2009
Mourinho is not a great manager, barely good. . . . signed, Ibime, Chelsea fan.

He capitalised on a time-lag in tactical reform when managers were still playing 4-4-2. His 4-5-1 system proved more efficient and more ruthless. Now most managers have cottoned on to the trend and are more efficient, JM has run out of ideas.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 8:25am On Nov 25, 2009
I bet most people wont agree with you Infact a lot of people would say he is one of the top 4 managers in Europe.

This was thrown into serious doubt given the way he was undressed by Man Utd last season or Barca this season.

Outplayed by Dynamo Kiev, Rubin Kazan, Anarthosis Famagusta, Panathinaikos and Bremen.

No one would argue he doesnt have a good team at Inter.

BTW Hitzfeld won CL in Dortmund and at Bayern in 5 seasons and played 3 finals, within that space of time.

He also qualified Switzerland (An average team) for the World cup easily
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by kaypumpin2(m): 8:27am On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

I have followed the career of Jose Mourinho since early in the century and I personally feel he is overrated.

He won the CL with Porto and the only top opposition he defeated was Man utd (controversially) That same season he lost woefully to Real Madrid in the groups.

He came to Chelsea spent a lot of money and won 2 EPL titles. And a lot of people ranked him as one of the best in the game.

His record at another big club INTER MILAN is nothing short of dismal.

Last season He struggled to qualify in a group of Panathinaikos, Anarthosis and Werder Bremen actually through last season he only managed 2 wins in the CL what was the excuse (Still learning the ropes)

This season placed in a group of Barcelona, Rubin Kazan and Kiev, He has only won one game - a last minute effort against Kiev.

His Supporters would argue he has won the league in 3 different places, But realistically, Any retard would win the league with FC Porto and even Inter Milan (Post Calcicopoli) Mancini who wasnt highly rated won with Inter.

Now I ask what has Mourinho done to deserve the hype that follows him everywhere?

Watching his side play against a depleted Barcelona yesterday and looked so clueless I wonder what the "Special one" has added to Inter Milan

I personally think he is a good motivator like Klinsmann but technically and tactically deficient

This!  cool

I have never been a Mourinho fan as i am one for manager that doesn't stiffen his team.Save for his stint at Porto in which it's team played attacking football,his time at Chelsea(inspite of the fact that it's trohy laden) did not bring footall that is pleasing to the eyes.Same at Inter.And to think he was once an asst. coach @ Barca.He is one to charge and fire up his players up and make them want to die for him thus bringing the best out of them.Therein lies his forte.But then who can fault a coach that has the league in 3 countries?

Is he over-rated?Of course no because his CV projects him as a successful coach.
Is he the special one? Hell no!Maybe the lucky one.  grin

BTW,I hate the fact he always fighting for front-page news with players. tongue
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 8:32am On Nov 25, 2009
Jose is a good coach.

is he among the best?

capital NO
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dreeldee: 8:41am On Nov 25, 2009
Ibime:

Mourinho is not a great manager, barely good. . . . signed, Ibime, Chelsea fan.

He capitalised on a time-lag in tactical reform when managers were still playing 4-4-2. His 4-5-1 system proved more efficient and more ruthless. Now most managers have cottoned on to the trend and are more efficient, JM has run out of ideas.
That right there is genius. Not everyone is able to think up an idea and effectively execute it, Mourinho is intelligent.  
dayokanu:

I bet most people wont agree with you Infact a lot of people would say he is one of the top 4 managers in Europe.

This was thrown into serious doubt given the way he was undressed by Man Utd last season or Barca this season.

Outplayed by Dynamo Kiev, Rubin Kazan, Anarthosis Famagusta, Panathinaikos and Bremen.

No one would argue he doesnt have a good team at Inter.

BTW Hitzfeld won CL in Dortmund and at Bayern in 5 seasons and played 3 finals, within that space of time.

He also qualified Switzerland (An average team) for the World cup easily
Me thinks a coach is judged by his records which Mourinho has got or what else?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by akinalabi(m): 8:57am On Nov 25, 2009
Nice thread Dayo.

Jose? I find it difficult to analyze the man. I've always believed Jose owes his rise to stardom to

1) The linesman that disallowed Scholes goal against Porto

2) Abra's millions

3) His big mouth  grin

4) The English press (they hype anything they find exciting)

5) Fiery desire to succeed

He is very good. Very meticulous. Great motivator. A born winner.

We can't argue his CV but he is not yet a great manager.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by akinalabi(m): 9:00am On Nov 25, 2009
Then to those that say Amodu dont do anything but just look like he doesnt have a clue.

What was Jose doing yesterday? grin
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 9:06am On Nov 25, 2009
akinalabi:

Nice thread Dayo.

Jose? I find it difficult to analyze the man. I've always believed Jose owes his rise to stardom to

1) The linesman that disallowed Scholes goal against Porto

2) Abra's millions

3) His big mouth grin

4) The English press (they hype anything they find exciting)

5) Fiery desire to succeed

He is very good. Very meticulous. Great motivator. A born winner.

We can't argue his CV but he is not yet a great manager.
100% correct

first was scholes disallowed goal, then chelseas money, hunger to win everytime, ability to think fast

Jose is good but not in the likes of those in mentioned above

@akinalabi
how far? you still dey bahamas grin grin
wetin be ur email addy?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 25, 2009
dK,
Well said.
Nothing more to add.
The first clue was how united outplayed inter at San Siro last year.
He hasn't done anything more than Mancini achieved.He was hired to win the UCL,an on yesterday's evidence,he won't win it again.
The guy should be called the Special Fluke
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by ritchboy(m): 10:34am On Nov 25, 2009
The same dayokanu that was telling me how a good manager is more important than a good squad last week is now saying "any retard can win the league with porto and inter". . . . PEACH! grin grin
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by FBS: 10:48am On Nov 25, 2009
ritchboy:

The same dayokanu that was telling me how a good manager is more important than a good squad last week is now saying "any retard can win the league with porto and inter". . . . PEACH! grin grin
I tire ooo. . . grin

@OP, This is a very stupid thread. Now bite me!  tongue
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by akinalabi(m): 10:57am On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

first was scholes disallowed goal

That thing still dey pain me anytime I remember am. Its been a long time bad refreeing has been affecting our game. We need video technology NOW!

tkb417:

@akinalabi
how far? you still dey bahamas grin grin
wetin be your email addy?

Bahamas ko, Barbados ni. Who dash monkey?

Hook me on alabiakinola @ yahoo.com

ritchboy:

Its still a brilliant thread. Great point for discussion. Better that all these who is better threads we have these days
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 25, 2009
FBS,
Still,there are more questions than answers from Mourinho.
It's not a pointless thread.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Tudor6(f): 11:39am On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

his rise to stardom is just because of scholesy's disallowed goal

he'll probably still be at Porto or Rio Aves

Hes a good man manager nonetheless and his hunger for glory will always push him to the right places

Hes not a bad one and can manage any decent side ( provided cash dey to spend)

Jose is good; hyped? i dunno but not amongst the best ive seen

Capello, Lippi, SAF, Wenger, Hitzfield, Hiddink
are better
How dare you compare JM with all these ancient of days? Most of them are in their 60's few in late 50's. . . .mourinho is still in his 40's and not in the same generation as those rock of ages.

Fact is back then it was pretty easy to win titles once you had a good team. The game has changed these days, no underdogs exist anymore.

@all man utd fans.
Go suck a di.ck y'all! Scholes illegal goal was disallowed. . .get over it!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 11:53am On Nov 25, 2009
Tudór:

How dare you compare JM with all these ancient of days? Most of them are in their 60's few in late 50's. . . .mourinho is still in his 40's and not in the same generation as those rock of ages.

Fact is back then it was pretty easy to win titles once you had a good team. The game has changed these days, no underdogs exist anymore.

@all man utd fans.
excellent!

we are saying the same thing; Jose cannot be compared to those rock of ages cos he still has a lot to learn from them.

game has changed? no underdogs anymore?
how apt! i can see Sunderland, Bochum, levente and Rio Aves winning their respective leagues
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 25, 2009
How can JM be fluke?

Dude is the only manager in the world that has won at least one major trophy ever since he became a manager.
If i'm correct, he is yet to lose the final of any major league/championship.

As successful as SAF, Ottmer Hitzfeld, Benitez, Ancelotti are they've been trophyless at some time.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by slimshay(m): 1:09pm On Nov 25, 2009
Someone once said 'a coach is only as good as his last game'. Well watching JM's last game, last night i wouldnt even want him coaching Golden Eaglets. He was that clueless. smiley

Seriously though i think ya'll have pointed out Mourinho's greatest assest: his motivational ability. Tactically he did get things right when he was at Chelsea, but 'negative' football can only get you thus far. As Hiddink was to discover over 2 legs in UCl semis last season. But that's another matter.

Mourinho's records speak for him, but right now they are only whispering.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 25, 2009
OMO IBO:

How can JM be fluke?

Dude is the only manager in the world that has won at least one major trophy ever since he became a manager.

As successful as SAF, Ottmer Hitzfeld, Benitez, Ancelotti are they've been trophyless at some time.

Spare parts guy.
I can see that your goods have cleared at tin can.
As per the highlighted, i wonder what you mean.In the context of what he was brought in to Inter to do (i.e. win the champions Legue),he hasn't fared better than Mancini.it's supposed to be a better squad than Mancini left it,but JM has not done much apart from bully hapless Serie A oppositio into submision.in that regard,it's only fair to wonder if indeed his exploits at chelsea were not due to the above listed factors.
Tudór:

@all man utd fans.
Oga,be honest for once.
Replays show that scholes' goal was wrongfully disallowed.If you say it was illegal,then you must be fraudulent by nature.
We've gotten over it,that's why we won the title in 08.
Something you are yet to achieve.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by bandely(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2009
He is a Genius and also a fluke!
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 1:53pm On Nov 25, 2009
How can JM be fluke?

haha

quickly check if he was a manager b4 he got to Porto cheesy
good assignment for you

nice try from our spare parts merchant
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 25, 2009
Spare parts guy.
I can see that your goods have cleared at tin can.
As per the highlighted, i wonder what you mean.In the context of what he was brought in to Inter to do (i.e. win the champions Legue),he hasn't fared better than Mancini.it's supposed to be a better squad than Mancini left it,but JM has not done much apart from bully hapless Serie A oppositio into submision.in that regard,it's only fair to wonder if indeed his exploits at chelsea were not due to the above listed factors.

LMAO
Bobo yi fi mi leeee.

Yeah yeah yeah. Whatever happened to give honour where it’s due.
You cannot question JM’s football know-how. It is second to none. The managers I mentioned above including some other top managers will struggle to do what JM is capable of.

With all due respect to Mancini, he has nothing on JM. I’d like to believe he knows that himself. I do not understand what you mean by JM’s squad is supposed to be better than mancini’s. Are you saying you haven’t heard JM complain about the quality of his team? He also complained when Abrahamovic was sold.

Further more, I do not buy into this: JM has not done much apart from bully hapless Serie A oppositio into submission. Managers play to the strength of their teams and how they see fit.

Apart form a sound technical football knowledge, you do not need anyone to tell you that you need some luck to win the champions league. Ask SAF, Benitez and even JM.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

haha

quickly check if he was a manager b4 he got to Porto cheesy
good assignment for you

nice try from our spare parts merchant
I knew someone was going to say something about that but can you please remind where that team was before he took over and where the team finished?

some little assignment for you.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by edoyad(m): 2:23pm On Nov 25, 2009
Mo is not a genius. So too the other 16 coaches in the UCL, but There's no denying There're good coaches amongst them of which Mourinho is one.
You don't become a sappy coach cos you lost at Camp Nou to a team with something like half of the squad amongst Europe's top 20.
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Krayola(m): 2:25pm On Nov 25, 2009
kay_pumpin:

And to think he was once an asst. coach @ Barca.

He was just an interpreter/translator for Bobby Robson @ Barca. He may have had some coaching responsibilities. . .  don't know, but his job was to help Bobby Robson communicate with the players and the staff.  grin grin

I think he is a good manager though
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 2:37pm On Nov 25, 2009
How can you explain away the fact that in last years CL with Anarthosis Famagusta, Panathinaikos and Bremen in 6 games he only won 2 against all these GREATS.

Last season of all teams in the second round Inter Milan had the least point.

This season against Kiev, Rubin Kazan and Barca in 5 games he has only won 1.

So what makes him a good coach or what makes him better than Mancini. He has a better squad than Mancini but Mancini had better results.

Mourinho has Sneijder, Etoo, Milito, Balotelli, Chivu, Lucio, Maicon , Julio Cesar (These last 2 are considered to be one of the best in their position)

He was given a free hand by Morrati that he even bought Quaresma Last winner of Ballon D'Oro-Dustbin player of the year, Muntari

The way he was outplayed by Man Utd and Barca last nite without seeming to have a clue
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 3:14pm On Nov 25, 2009
OMO IBO:

I knew someone was going to say something about that but can you please remind where that team was before he took over and where the team finished?

some little assignment for you.
haha
u think ure smart
u were the one with a categorical statement on how Jose hasnt gone without a trophy since he became a manager
Now ive shown you how u goofed ure saying another thing

hahaha
learn ur footie bro

@topic
was Jose a coach at Barca?
fcking translator he was
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by dayokanu(m): 3:22pm On Nov 25, 2009
^^Topic never said he was a coach at Barca. I started from Porto
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2009
I'm sorry Sneijder and Etoo were not his choice.

He wanted a midfielder. Sneijder, a good player, not getting games at Real madrid was available. he took the plunge.
We all know about Etoo. He clearly did not want Abrahamovic to leave.

Muntari?? Balotelli?? Pssshh

Quaresma clearly did not live up to expectation. This can happen to the best of players.
Does veron ring a bell?
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by tkb417(m): 3:30pm On Nov 25, 2009
dayokanu:

^^Topic never said he was a coach at Barca. I started from Porto

didnt direct the post at you
or u have cataract and you cant see where some called him an assitant coach in their posts

specsavers are nearby
Re: Mourinho: Genius Or Fluke by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 25, 2009
tkb417:

haha
u think ure smart
u were the one with a categorical statement on how Jose hasnt gone without a trophy since he became a manager
Now ive shown you how u goofed ure saying another thing

hahaha
learn your footie bro
Dude, stop cherrypicking.
If you look at the bigger picture, you'd agree with me that even SAF has nothing on him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Tottenham Hotspur Vs Arsenal (1 - 0) On 10th February 2018 / Balotelli And Mancini In Training Ground Fight / Arsenal Vs Crystal Palace (2 - 2) On 18th October 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.