Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,549 members, 7,837,103 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS (3025 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Appointed As Sierra Leone’s Election Head Of Team Of Observers / Why Radio Biafra Is Still Operational In London - British Government / International Observers To Monitor Nnamdi Kanu's Trial Today - IPOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by iamhorny(m): 3:17pm On Jan 13, 2017
The Federal High Court, Abuja, has fixed Feb. 10 to rule on whether or not it will dismiss the treason charges preferred against the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

The court would also rule on whether or not to quash the charges preferred against three other defendants, Chidiebere Onwudiwe, Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi, who were charged along with Kanu.

Similarly, the court would give a ruling on an application bordering on the competence of the charge against Kanu, the first defendant.

The four defendants are standing trial for alleged treasonable felony and terrorism.

At the resumed hearing on Thursday, Kanu’s Counsel, Mr Ifeanyi Ejiofor, argued that his client’s application challenging the charge against him was based on the fact that there was no case against him.

“Our application was premised on the fact that the proof of evidence attached to the charge cannot sustain the charge because it did not disclose a prima facie case against Kanu.”

According to him, the proof of evidence is empty, baseless and unfounded and in that circumstance, the court is required to quash the charge and discharge and acquit the person involved.

“He is being accused of committing an offence of treasonable felony and also conspiracy to commit treasonable felony, the law requires that ingredients of the said treasonable felony should be established.

“But the defendant was not found with any arms, was not caught with anybody holding a meeting, never said he was coming to overthrow the president of the country.

“They are merely exercising their right to self-determination which is clearly provided under article 20 of the African Charter of Human and Peoples Rights and also under article 1 and 55 of the United Nations Charter.’’

He said these were constitutional rights and could not translate to a case of treasonable felony.

Counsel to the 2nd to 4th defendants, Mr Inalegwu Adoga, Mr E.I Esene and Mr Maxwell Okpara, all made similar arguments.

They all held that the proof of evidence attached to their clients’ charge did not establish a prima facie case against them and should be quashed.

Adoga, in his argument, said that his client was arrested for his intentions and not because of an overt act, adding that the prosecution’s case against his client was based on mere sentiments.

On his part, Okpara added that his client was only brought into the matter in order to convict the first defendant.

The prosecuting counsel, Mr Shuiabu Labaran, opposed the applications on the grounds that they had no substance.

The judge, Justice Binta Nyako, adjourned till Feb. 10 to rule on the applications.

Nyako had said on Tuesday that the ruling on the applications would determine whether the case would be terminated or continued.

Mr Osaro Odemwingie, a representative of the British High Commission, was in court to witness the proceedings, while placard carrying IPOB members were outside the court complex singing and dancing.

http://www.nta.ng/news/20170112-nnamdi-kanu-court-fixes-february-10-for/#A+

when the new broke out, some said it was a lie and it was IPOB's propaganda.. yea is NTA new confirming it
An idea whose time has come cannot be broken

2 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Flatties: 3:20pm On Jan 13, 2017
Lerease our dilector.. shocked

2 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Ten12(m): 3:25pm On Jan 13, 2017
I will really miss my big ass afonja babes but those nunu babes I will miss Dem not...so wen we dey go?

4 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Chikelue2000(m): 3:34pm On Jan 13, 2017
Kanu should be released now, he is becoming so popular day by day. Imagine Britain sending a delegation to monitor things. Please dnt tell me cos he has a British citizen passport

5 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by jom28gy(m): 4:01pm On Jan 13, 2017
is Time to release him.unnneccessary adjornments wouldn't help matters

5 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Emycord: 4:05pm On Jan 13, 2017
Almost there

6 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by kingdompropty: 4:21pm On Jan 13, 2017
Like a joke,like a joke....Biafra will get a referendum. tongue

9 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by BudeYahooCom: 4:22pm On Jan 13, 2017
Not good news for Afonja skulls. grin

7 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by slash112: 6:57pm On Jan 13, 2017
grin ;Dbiafra i stand grin

6 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 13, 2017
kingdompropty:
Like a joke,like a joke....Biafra will get a referendum. tongue

What exactly gave you this impression? Because someone from the British high commission was there?
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by cstr55: 7:10pm On Jan 13, 2017
Aigbofa:

What exactly gave you this impression? Because someone from the British high commission was there?
It shows the stakes are no longer local.
And when issues go international with the west having an interest, things happen.
And yes, the british commissioner was representing the british government.

7 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 13, 2017
cstr55:

It shows the stakes are no longer local.
And when issues go international with the west having an interest, things happen.
And yes, the british commissioner was representing the british government.

And so what? Do you think if he committed the same offences against the British government they will pat him on the back and let him go?
You may want to read about northern Ireland separatist struggle.

2 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by cstr55: 7:22pm On Jan 13, 2017
Aigbofa:

And so what? Do you think if he committed the same offences against the British government they will pat him on the back and let him go?
You may want to read about northern Ireland separatist struggle.
What crime? If IPOB was anthing like the IRA, you think Nigerians soldiers would shoot them down without any casualty on their own side.
Maybe you need to go read up on the IRA before making such ridiculous comparison.
The british just recently conducted two referendums. And they are set to do another one on secession. cheesy
Secession is not a crime in the UK or any part of the developed world, including the US.
The only thing that would happen is a vote.
It is only the likes of china, turkey, russia and other shittholes that treat such as criminal.

8 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 13, 2017
cstr55:

What crime? If IPOB was anthing like the IRA, you think Nigerians soldiers would shoot them down without any casualty on their own side.
Maybe you need to go read up on the IRA before making such ridiculous comparison.
The british just recently conducted two referendums. And they are set to do another one on secession. cheesy
Secession is not a crime in the UK or any part of the developed world, including the US.
The only thing that would happen is a vote.
It is only the likes of china, turkey, russia and other shittholes that treat such as criminal.

What crime? That is exactly what the court is trying to determine. Take a chill pill. I know about IRA and everything but at the end of the day Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom.
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by MrMontella(m): 7:27pm On Jan 13, 2017
grin grin
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by cstr55: 7:30pm On Jan 13, 2017
Aigbofa:

What crime? That is exactly what the court is trying to determine. Take a chill pill. I know about IRA and everything but at the end of the day Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom.
A court that has failed to pass any conceivable judgement in over a year.
I see you like getting fixated on the irrelevant. Have you even bothered to check the alleged crimes that guy is accused of?
If you did, then you see how much of a joke your country is. I am sure the british commisioner was chuckling all the way through the trial at the dance of savages calling themselves a judiciary.
Scotland just conducted a referendum which was narrowly in favour of a united britain, and another is already forthcoming. That is exactly what others are asking for that iliterates littering the Nigerian space call a crime.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jan 13, 2017
cstr55:
A court that has failed to pass any conceivable judgement in over a year.
I see you like getting fixated on the irrelevant. Have you even bothered to check the alleged crimes that guy is accused of?
If you did, then you see how much of a joke your country is. I am sure the british commisioner was chuckling all the way through the trial at the dance of savages calling themselves a judiciary.
Scotland just conducted a referendum which was narrowly in favour of a united britain, and another is already forthcoming. That is exactly what others are asking for that iliterates littering the Nigerian space call a crime.

Kanu's lawyers can stall the case as much as they want but in the end justice will be served.
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by cstr55: 7:38pm On Jan 13, 2017
Aigbofa:

Kanu's lawyers can stall the case as much as they want but in the end justice will be served.
Stall the case? You are having a laugh.
And what is your idea of justice for a man spearheading a secession of indigenous people.?
Let me see if you actually have some brain cells.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by CowHard: 7:45pm On Jan 13, 2017
Aigbofa:

No.. rather because of how jittery and hungry Afonjas become by the day

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Deathslater: 7:49pm On Jan 13, 2017
Ten12:
I will really miss my big ass afonja babes but those nunu babes I will miss Dem not...so wen we dey go?
that thing na poo full inside am.

2 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Abdhul(m): 8:00pm On Jan 13, 2017
NO PICTURE? seriously i only came TO SEE PICTURES
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 13, 2017
cstr55:

Stall the case? You are having a laugh.
And what is your idea of justice for a man spearheading a secession of indigenous people.?
Let me see if you actually have some brain cells.

My idea of justice is Kanu getting a fair trial for the offences he has been accused of, any other thing at this point is irrelevant, and that includes ipob miscreants.
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by cstr55: 8:15pm On Jan 13, 2017
Aigbofa:

My idea of justice is Kanu getting a fair trial for the offences he has been accused of, any other thing at this point is irrelevant, and that includes ipob miscreants.
And what are those offenses that are different from what scottish secession leaders committed in your colonial master's country?
Or even in catalonia of spain, or texas of the united states?.
Your government is a miscreant.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by PDJT: 8:17pm On Jan 13, 2017
[s]
Aigbofa:

[/s]

You're not quite bright as you may think.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 13, 2017
PDJT:
[s][/s]

You're not quite bright as you may think.

It will take someone with a far higher I.Q than yours to question mine.
By the way, my IQ is not the subject of this discuss, it is your moronic extrapolation that referendum is on the way because someone from the British high commission was in court to witness Kanu's trial. This is of course a load of horse shit and it doesn't take Albert Einstein to know that.

1 Like

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 13, 2017
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Habakus: 8:43pm On Jan 13, 2017
Nnamdi Kanu is like a fly that perched on the blockus - you just don't know how to deal with it.
Discharge and acquit him and he becomes a hero,convict him of treason and you don't know the ripple effect. So the FG is just bidding there time and hoping that NK will agree to a mutual deal.

2 Likes

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by PDJT: 8:44pm On Jan 13, 2017
[s]
Aigbofa:

It will take someone with a far higher I.Q than yours to question mine.
By the way, my IQ is not the subject of this discuss, it is your moronic extrapolation that referendum is on the way because someone from the British high commission was in court to witness Kanu's trial. This is of course a load of horse shit and it doesn't take Albert Einstein to know that.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 13, 2017
PDJT:
[s][/s]

Lol.....Q.E.D

I shouldn't be arguing Africans who call themselves Isrealites
Re: British Government Sent Observers To The Trial Of Nnamdi Kanu.....nta NEWS by PDJT: 8:55pm On Jan 13, 2017
[s]
Aigbofa:

Lol.....Q.E.D

I shouldn't be arguing Africans who call themselves Isrealites
[/s]

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Among Countries To Lose Over $11,363,500,000.00 USA Aids To UN Vote / Are Nigerians Finally Catching Up To Igbos? / American President - Donald Trump Explains His Statement Against Africans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.