Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,007 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? (19744 Views)

Statistics Of Unemployed Nigerians By Gender And Qualification. Do You Agree? / FG Begins Online Registration Of Unemployed Nigerians / When You're Not Qualified For A Job But You Have Connections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by uslasconsults(m): 8:49pm On Jan 18, 2017
Actually some people studied marketing....still not going for marketing jobs then i think something is missing
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by petkoffdrake2(m): 9:03pm On Jan 18, 2017
Medley:
In this social media and internet age, do you need to walk the street

So
...sir, what do you do? PLS I'll like to be part of it.
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by obstead200(m): 9:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
pocohantas:
I don't think people really hate marketing that much, it's the abuse of its job function that's dreaded.

*Targets are most times difficult or impossible to meet. No one likes the idea of his/her career growth being tied to such.

*Nigerians are not even open to new products. The devil you know is better than the angel you don't know mindset, before you say a word...they'll say they're not interested. (e.g) You have been eating Indomie Noodles for decades and I come to market John Smith Noodles to you, will you budge?

*The products being marketed are most times not competitive enough. You send marketers to go market a product at the same price with competitive brands. The marketers are asked the usual, what will you people give me? They become dumb. No significant difference in the price or services to convince buyers and customers to make that switch to your product.

*Harassment: the guys are scared of not meeting targets because they don't have breast and bumbum. The girls on their part are scared of donating their vaginas. Some men won't subscribe to your services out of their good mind.
U said it all.
Especially at the bolded.
A marketing job can only be interesting if the product has a clear competitive edge and will actually solve a problem for the consumer.

I can't imagine myself marketing insurance, or telling someone who already has several bank accounts to open a new account

1 Like

Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by obstead200(m): 9:25pm On Jan 18, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

But I have been in the marketing department for close to four years now undecided

If you are not good... you are not good.

Marketing is a skill... not an option.

I read Engineering but ditched it for my beloved marketing.

Go to my CV and see all the roles I have handled. From Sales Associate to Marketing Analyst to Business Development to Business Analyst. So the list continues. If you don't have the skill... you don't have the skill.

Sometimes they give me a target of 8 million per month cheesy. I meet up at least half which is a PASS mark!

P.S. I don't work on commission oo cheesy
I agree it is a skill.
But u shud know that it still heavily depends on the line of products u are selling and it's competitive advantage. Some products are hard to sell and have no edge to sell it. E.g Insurance policies, pensions, overpriced forever living products, other overpriced MLM products, customised vehicles etc.

Trust me, no matter ur selling skill, if ur target customer is not buying, he will not buy.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by Orpe7(m): 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2017
Have been in marketing for 3years now and it aint bad as u think
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by disciplinedwoman(f): 9:45pm On Jan 18, 2017
not all marketing jobs gives target, like the one I am into we get paid based on commission and its cool, you don't really need to move around
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by OGWILLS123: 3:00am On Jul 24, 2021
pocohantas:
I don't think people really hate marketing that much, it's the abuse of its job function that's dreaded.

*Targets are most times difficult or impossible to meet. No one likes the idea of his/her career growth being tied to such.

*Nigerians are not even open to new products. The devil you know is better than the angel you don't know mindset, before you say a word...they'll say they're not interested. (e.g) You have been eating Indomie Noodles for decades and I come to market John Smith Noodles to you, will you budge?

*The products being marketed are most times not competitive enough. You send marketers to go market a product at the same price with competitive brands. The marketers are asked the usual, what will you people give me? They become dumb. No significant difference in the price or services to convince buyers and customers to make that switch to your product.

*Harassment: the guys are scared of not meeting targets because they don't have breast and bumbum. The girls on their part are scared of donating their vaginas. Some men won't subscribe to your services out of their good mind.

So you where here undecided
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by Arizoner: 5:07pm On Oct 17, 2021
pocohantas:
eople really hate marketing thatfunction that's dreaded.

*The products being marketed are most times not competitive enough. You send marketers to go market a product at the same price with competitive brands. The marketers are asked the usual, what will you people give me? Theyme dumb. ce buyers and
good evening ma, pls i need your advice. I've got three job offers. One as male secretary, two as brand promoter for a fintech company, three as factory worker. Which should i go for? Happy sunday. N.B: Qualification is bsc
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by TNHR: 10:59pm On Oct 17, 2021
Sometimes its a fear mindset that make people reject marketing or sales job. Everyone markets or sell something or themselves in one way or the other daily but when it comes to structuring it or doing it for payment, some people run away. I agree some companies especially banks set or give unreasonable targets but there are also many companies that give good marketing job opportunities with fair targets or goals. Not all give financial targets. Some ask for a number of sign ups etc. If you dont want financial targets, avoid core banking institutions and go for FMCG or Fintech or IT firms. These ones offer varied options and experience even valuable training before you start as well as post the candidate to a location close to their residential area. If I offer one here now, how many people will take it?
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by TNHR: 11:05pm On Oct 17, 2021
@Arizoner, you have better growth opportunities with the Fintech as a brand promoter and you will be going out of the office which means more opportunities to meet people and outside opportunities unlike a factory worker which is degrading for a BSc holder and a male secretary that needs you to stay n the office under your pri
ncipal mostly
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by TNHR: 11:07pm On Oct 17, 2021
HIRING!!!

SALES OFFICERS

An Fintech company needs Sales Officers to join its team on a 3 - 6 months contract.

Required qualities/ qualifications:

- Young, smart and energetic individuals with drive for sales

- Minimum of OND qualification
- 0 to 1 year work experience
- Familiarity with Lagos.
- Ability to meet set goals
-willingness to start/resume immediately (prior training will be provided for selected candidates)

*Salary*: N45,000

*Benefits* :
- Acquire good quality training you will need for future jobs.
- Gain valuable work experience
- Interact and work with experienced professionals in a renowned organization.
- Exposure to a fast-paced work environment
- Opportunity for contract renewal upon good performance

Number of positions : 40

Akoka,
LadyLak,
Lagos Island
Lekki Ajah
Ibeju Lekki
Epe
Badagry
Alimosho
Owode Obafemi
Surulere,
Yaba,
Oyingbo,
Ebutte Meta,

Interested candidates may apply through:

https://forms.gle/mEcQMsWBFciMXcaT7
Re: Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? by Arizoner: 10:34am On Oct 18, 2021
TNHR:
@Arizoner, you have better growth opportunities with the Fintech as a brand promoter and you will be going out of the office which means more opportunities to meet people and outside opportunities unlike a factory worker which is degrading for a BSc holder and a male secretary that needs you to stay n the office under your pri
ncipal mostly
thank you very much. I'm very grateful

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

These 6 Tips Will Help You Get An Ideal Job In 2018 / FAAN Begins Placement Of Successful Candidates / My Job Hunting In The City Of Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.