Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,784 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

Grace - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Grace (24450 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie, Her Father, James Nwoye Adichie & Mother Grace Ifeoma Bond / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments / Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 12:08pm On Feb 14, 2017
Very interesting, may God increase your wisdom. Can't wait for the next update

1 Like

Re: Grace by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 14, 2017
Very nice piece. Weldone op

1 Like

Re: Grace by Hannysmilez(f): 9:53pm On Feb 14, 2017
Really nice story. Pls do tag me whenever there's an update.
Welldone.
Re: Grace by Jibabs2(m): 1:30pm On Feb 15, 2017
Good work op.....i d wait for next update please
Re: Grace by chuks34(m): 2:56pm On Feb 15, 2017
Op keep up the good work. It's not easy.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 4:09pm On Feb 15, 2017
Changes

Two weeks after her return from her trip to Benin, Kome made her first donation to the orphanage. She had gotten the account number from Bridget and made a donation of two hundred naira. She felt it was appropriate considering the fact that they had accepted her own failings.

She also decided to return to church. This decision was reinforced by constant advocacy from Bose. Rachael had also made an effort to get her back into the fold as she was concerned about her spiritual health. She decided to worship at one of the new generation churches on a certain Sunday after much persuasion from her friends and adopted family. The experience was quite different from what she was used to as she had always been a member of the Anglican Church before she quitted. The church had more of youths who were given free reins by the pastor-in-charge. The pastor himself was a young man whose message was quite conversant with the need for people to take charge of their destiny. She enjoyed the service and went home with a new feeling. She hoped her private life would turn on the sunnier side from this moment.

The donations to the orphanage soon became a monthly exercise. The more she thought about Grace, the more her desire to re-establish connection with her only pleasant memory from her past relationships. The thought of her past failures would continue to haunt her and this proved to be a restraint as she refused giving in to any of her admirers. While she tried to run away from such topics, her father was always eager to bring it up. The last time she visited home, he had brought up the topic. She had decided to spend the weekend with her father and he had brought up the topic on their first night together. They were in the sitting-room after they had had their evening prayers.

‘’ Kome, I have an issue that is bothering me’’ Oghale said.

‘’ What is it, ose?’ she asked.

‘’ When will you bring your husband home?’ he asked.

She took in the question quietly and pondered over what suitable reply she could give.

‘’ It is beyond me, ose’’

‘’ I know but you still have a part to play. I believe you have been receiving requests from men’’

‘’ Yes but…’’

‘’ They are not up to standard’’ Oghale interjected.

‘’ No, that is not the issue’’ she protested.

‘’ I hope you understand that it is not the amount of money a man has that should determine if he is eligible. Also I hope you are not being selective just because you are rich’’

‘’ No, I am not just interested in that yet’’ she replied obviously strained by her father’s seeming accusations.

‘’ That is not the right attitude my child, I will advise that you make this a priority’’

Oghale left the sitting-room. Kome sat in the silence brooding over her next move.
That meeting indeed brought about a chasm that only grew wider as the days went by. This made her to stay away from home as she immersed herself in the never ending activities that gave the City its unique flavour. Months led up to years and her donations to the orphanage flowed unceasingly.

Kome had successfully kept men at bay, so she thought until the arrival of Tamuno John. He had been transferred from the operations at Port Harcourt to head the drilling operations of the Warri division. He was a short, dark and well-built. Their first meeting was at the board room where he was introduced as the new head of the drilling operations of the Shell Warri division. He had a soft but bold voice. It wasn’t a love at first sight but Kome liked him from their first meeting together. After the general introduction, Kome and the business manager, Mr. Kevwe were called to have a personal meeting with John where they discussed how viable the operations of the company had been in the past year. Kome saw a hint of admiration in John’s eyes after she had laid out the details of the gains and losses of the company in the past year. That meeting was the start of a relationship that would transcend beyond business lines.

Two weeks after the meeting at the office, she was on her way out for lunch when she met John at the reception. She flashed a smile immediately.

‘’ Good afternoon sir’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good afternoon Miss Kome’’ he replied.

‘’ Kome is fine by me’’ she said.

‘’ Okay, can I join you for lunch?’ he asked.

‘’ Okay’’ Kome replied barely concealing her surprise.

They walked side by side to the car park and he invited her to go with him. He drove a Range rover sport which Kome regarded with admiration.

‘’ Nice car sir’’ she said.

‘’ Thank you’’ he replied as he turned on the ignition.

Soon they were out and they settled for Sizzlers, a fast food restaurant which was not far from the office. They sat together on a table and scanned through the menu list.

‘’ I hope you don’t mind if I foot the bill?’ John asked.

‘’ Not at all…thank you’’ she said.

‘’ It’s a pleasure’’ he replied.

They placed their orders and food was duly served. They had ordered the same meal, fried rice, chicken and salad with a can of water. They ate in silence for a while before John broke it.

‘’ So how long have you been working with Shell?’ he asked.

‘’ Close to a decade’’ she replied.

‘’ That is a whole lot of time considering the fact that you are looking this young’’

‘’ How about you?’

‘’ Fifteen years already’’

‘’ Not bad either’’

‘’ So do you enjoy the job?’

‘’ Yes, it is a pleasant place to work in’’

‘’ I knew you did say so especially with the financial packages on ground’’

She grinned in reply.

‘’ I have enjoyed working in the company though I still have other interests aside of my work here’’ he said.

‘’ That would include…’’

‘’ You really want to know?’ he asked.

‘’ Yes’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, I will tell you on one condition’’

‘’ What condition?’

‘’ That you would tell me what kind of a miss are you?’

‘’ Is that all?’

‘’ Yes’’

‘’ Okay, I am a miss who is not in the lookout for a man’’

‘’ Seriously, that is a strange reply’’

‘’ You may say so, so what do you do aside work?’

‘’ Okay, I am a member of a tennis club and also run an NGO that caters to the financial needs of poor indigent students’’

‘’ That is good. I have always thought of some other enterprise to invest my free time in’’

‘’ Okay, the sooner the better. All right the time is far spent, I think it’s time for us to return to business’’

Kome took the last gulp of water and cleaned her mouth with the serviette paper. They were off in a moment. They arrived the company and they got down almost simultaneously.

‘’ I appreciate your company’’ John said as he closed in on her.

‘’ I did also’’ she said.

‘’ I hope we do this again’’

She saw a glint in his eyes but she was hesitant to believe the awkward thoughts that flowed in her mind. She plopped on her settee on her return to her office and did a quick recollection of the minutes she spent with John. She had been too open and suddenly she feared she had let her guard down too soon.

Tamuno John on his part was gradually settling into the work routine at Shell, Warri division. Apart from the average performance recorded so far due to the activities of militants and sea pirates, the operation was going on smoothly. He had visited some of the areas of operations in the short time he has stayed and was quite familiar with the state of things. Although, he was missing the upbeat nature of life in Port Harcourt compared to the slow tempo of life in Warri. While he thought of the work environment, his mind continually strayed to the thought of having Kome as his significant other. He had noticed her right from their first meeting together and gradually his admiration of her abilities had strayed beyond business into the realm of pleasure. After their outing at the restaurant, he knew he was in love with her but he was not willing to go that route yet. He was content with enjoying the single life for now.

Kome sat staring at the mirror and smiled at the feeling that coursed through her being. It was a Saturday morning and she had just had her bath. She was gradually getting things in order and life was gradually opening up its treasures to her. She was already reaping the benefit of the changes she had undergone and this was pleasant to her. Also she was gradually coming to terms with her past and all she thought of were the lessons she could implement in the present. Suddenly her thought switched to the monthly contributions she made to the orphanage which was directly linked to the fact that her daughter was there. She was gradually warming up to the idea of having her daughter back. While she was content in the past to have her trained by some capable hands, the need to take her back had become an obsession. She struggled with the thought initially but she knew she could handle the duties of a parent. She also needed companion. She picked her phone and placed a call to Bose.

‘’ Good morning ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good morning Kome’’ Bose replied.

‘’ I am sorry for disturbing you’’ she said.

‘’ It’s no problem dear’’

‘’ Ma, I have been thinking of the possibility of getting my daughter back’’ she said.

‘’ Are you sure about this decision?’

‘’ Yes ma’’

‘’ So when do you want to start the process?’

‘’ Unfortunately I am almost lost on how to start’’

‘’ Okay, let me make preliminary investigation. I will get back to you’’

‘’ Ma, I am so grateful’’

The line went dead and she punched the air in delight. She could finally start imagining the possibility of having her daughter grow under her roof. She knew Grace must have grown more than the last time she saw her but she was content with the image of that little sports girl she met the last time.

Hannysmilez
xaviercasmir
david670

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 4:52pm On Feb 15, 2017
I am here boss. Ride on

2 Likes

Re: Grace by Lolsd: 4:53pm On Feb 15, 2017
Interesting episode

1 Like

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 8:49pm On Feb 15, 2017
Interesting....

1 Like

Re: Grace by Missmossy(f): 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2017
Aww such an insightful piece cheesy keep it coming Akposb, more wisdom strength and inspiration to you.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 10:21pm On Feb 15, 2017
Missmossy:
Aww such an insightful piece cheesy keep it coming Akposb, more wisdom strength and inspiration to you.
Thank you very much.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:46am On Feb 16, 2017
Bose called her the next Tuesday and informed her that she could only adopt rather than claim the child. It was a bittersweet news as she feared adopting her could estrange rather than bring them together. Bose encouraged her to think over the matter in order for her not to rush into a decision that could harm her relationship with her daughter.

While she kept her mind busy with her daughter, she was also contemplating her relationship with Tamuno John. She feared the vibes he was sending her and this made her to be uncomfortable in his presence. She feared the feeling that was gradually developing within her. Her past relationships had not really been close as this one would be if she were to accept his yet to be proposed offer. The only nagging question was when and how he would pop up the question of a romantic relationship. Since their first lunch meeting, he had invited her to several. She had refused some while the few she attended was a period of subtle emotional and personal discussions. He was interested in knowing much about her. She gave him some little details of her past. This seemed to endear him to her despite the adverse thoughts attached to the ill-effects of office romance. The most predatory offer was an invitation to a weekend trip. She was about leaving the office at the close of work on a certain Thursday when he called her to his office. She felt it was on an official assignment though she was a bit skeptical. He was going through some documents when she entered.

‘’ Good evening’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good evening, Kome. You can have your seat’’

She sat on one of the settee that faced his.

‘’ I am sorry for calling you at this time’’ he said.

‘’ There is no problem’’ she replied.

‘’ I need you to do me a favour. I want you to accompany me on a trip to Port Harcourt this weekend?’ he asked.

She was surprised at the offer as she knew it was beyond work affiliations. The little silence was a tense moment for both of them.

‘’ Hey, I know it is beyond your area but I felt it would be appropriate if you could get familiar with some of our on-shore operations’’ he suggested.

‘’ Okay, that will be fine by me’’

‘’ Thank you very much. We will leave by noon’’

‘’ Okay’’

She left the office clearly unsettled. While she could do with an illusion of work relations, she felt it was more real to confront his assault on her heart. She knew he was single and this has influenced her decision to handle his expression of friendship with care.

They set off for Port Harcourt an hour after noon the next day. John had bought plane tickets for two and they sat close to each other all through the trip. They were picked on arrival by a company car which drove them straight to the regional office of the Shell Corporation. On their arrival, they were met by one of the executive, Mr. Van Delt, a Dutch national and a local employee, Mr. Uche Iweka.

‘’ Good afternoon Sir’’ John greeted.

‘’ Good afternoon, John. How are you?’ Van asked.

‘’ I am fine’’ he replied.

‘’ Who is the lady with you?’ Van asked.

‘’ This is Kome, she is the assistant business manager at Warri division’’ John said.

Kome greeted him and shook the extended hand of Mr. Van.

‘’ Okay, Uche I hope we are set?’ Van asked.
‘’ Yes sir’’ Uche replied.

They walked some distance before they got to the helipad where the monstrous sound of the whirring blade of a helicopter was heard. They got on board and soon the helicopter was up in the air to a destination unknown to Kome. Van, Uche and John engaged themselves in snippets of conversation as they studied some documents. Kome was oblivious of what they were discussing but she was gradually developing interest in the trip. They arrived their destination after an hour of flight.

They alighted on an oil rig. It was her first on it and she could only smile at the pleasant feeling that came over her. She caught a grin on John’s face when their eyes met. She was excused as the men went in to a makeshift office. She used the time to tour the rig. It was quite ironic that she was disconnected from the primary aspect of her job. John and the rest of the men spent a long time behind closed doors and this made her uncomfortable considering the fact that she was one of the few females on board. It was three hours after that the men came out of the office.

‘’ I am very sorry we took that long’’ John said.

‘’ I understand’’ she replied.

‘’ I hope you are now acquainted with the primary aspect of our operations?’ John asked.

‘’ Yes, I enjoyed it’’ she replied.

They were soon joined by Mr. Van and Uche. They boarded the helicopter and left immediately. The helicopter came to a stop on the helipad of the guest house of the company where they stayed for the night. Kome enjoyed the refreshing air from the river nearby and basked in the feeling all through the night. She was woken up by an attendant the next morning. She brushed and had her bath before joining John at the reception. She was dressed in a loosed flower gown. John wore a boot, a faded blue jean and a polo.

‘’ How was the night?’ John asked.

‘’ It was fine’’ she replied.

‘’ I like your dress’’ John commended.

‘’ Thank you’’ she replied.

‘’ We will have breakfast and once we are done, we will be going to some part of the creeks’’ he said.

They arrived at the restaurant and had a breakfast of tea, bread and egg. John made a call and once he was done, he asked them to leave for the garage. There was a Toyota Hilux waiting when they got there. John sat in front with a man who ostensibly is the driver while Kome sat at the back seat. They travelled over a long distance before they stopped at a secluded part of the city. All around them was surrounded by thick forest. They waited in the car.

‘’ I guess we came early’’ John said.

‘’ Yes…they are supposed to be here’’ the driver replied.

John turned to look at Kome after sometime.

‘’ We are expecting a delegation so I urge you to be patient’’ he said.

‘’ Okay’’ Kome replied.

It was another twenty minutes before they saw a convoy coming towards them from the back. John got down and waited by the side of the truck. It was a convoy of four vehicles and all were Toyota Hilux. A police truck was among while some other officials of Shell occupied the others. Kome recognized Uche and Mr. Van among the mixed races of people though there were more of Nigerians. John shook hands with Mr. Van, Uche and then some murmurings. Kome had alighted and was standing by the truck.

‘’ Okay, gentlemen…let’s go straight to business’’ Mr. Van said.

One thing was common among the men. They dressed in a similar manner to John and this made Kome to scrutinize her dressing once again. She wore a pair of sandals. She walked beside John as they walked into the forest. The eight policemen that came had divided themselves into two groups of four and they led from the front and back. They had walked for ten minutes when the smell of thick fumes and a pungent odour of crude oil assailed their senses. The men were unprepared as they covered their nose with their hands. Kome was visibly shaken by the smell but she mustered enough courage to disguise her discomfort. They came upon a clearing after some time. Not far was a huge and black metallic pipe. A part of it had broken and the whole place was covered with spilled oil. It was an obvious example of the devastating effect of a sabotaged oil pipeline.

‘’ This is so bad’’ Van said with derision.

A mumble from the men to confirm their agreement.

‘’ This is worse than I thought. So what do you suggest we do?’ Van asked.

‘’ A force majeure has been declared until this link is repaired’’ one of the men said.

‘’ Obviously that is the right thing to do. I think we have all seen for ourselves the evil done by these boys. I think we should arrange a meeting for Monday to discuss some new ways to engage them’’ One of the foreign national said.

‘’ I was thinking along that line. Let’s leave, we are done here’’

The journey back to the main road began in earnest. Kome walked beside John among the men. Once they got back to the road, Van called John aside and they talked for a while. After the meeting, the journey back to the city began in earnest. They drove in a convoy with the police truck in front. The driver who drove Kome and John took a different route once they got to town and they arrived the guest house just before it was 3:00pm.

‘’ So what next?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Nothing, maybe we should return today but on a second thought, I think it will be fun to experience the night life in this city’’ John said.

‘’ Okay’’ she grinned.

‘’ So just go in and have a rest. We leave by 7:00pm’’

Kome went in and laid on her bed to sleep. She woke up at five and watched some programmes on television. She prepared and came out just before seven. She waited at the reception for John. He arrived some minutes past seven and apologized as soon as he got to her.

‘’ You are looking beautiful’’ he commented with a smile.

‘’ You are not looking bad either’’

They fitted the ideal couple despite the difference in their heights. Kome wore a knee length chiffon gown while John wore a jean and a polo with a leather sandal. They got to the garage and John led her to a Toyota Camry.

‘’ This is our car for the night’’ he said.

Kome took the front passenger seat and they left immediately. Traffic was heavy despite the gradual descent of the dark. Kome looked on with interest. They drove to a high class restaurant where they ordered a meal of Eba and Egusi soup. They ate for a while amidst silence.

‘’ I hope you have enjoyed this trip?’ John asked.

‘’ Yes’’ she nodded.

‘’ This restaurant makes me feel nostalgic’’ John said.

‘’ Really, what memories do you have?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Plenty but the most poignant is the one with my ex’’ he said.

Kome smiled. He had a condescending tone which showed he missed her.

‘’ I am divorced’’ he said.

It was a huge and surprising news. She felt John was more than capable of holding unto a lady. John noticed her slight discomfort and stopped talking. He settled the bill and they left.

‘’ I hope you like dancing?’ he asked.

‘’ To an extent, why do you ask?’

‘’ We need to have some little fun’’

They drove into the compound of a small and beautiful bar. They got down together and Kome waited for him to come around. He led the way as they walked into the bar. Soft tunes from a combination of different musical instruments welcomed them. John led her to a table just on the second row very close to where the music band had set up. There were other people in the bar. All looking radiant and obviously of the rich class. Kome felt comfortable in their midst.

‘’ So what do you want to take?’ John asked almost shouting.

‘’ A bottle of malt will do’’ she replied.

John grinned at her request.

‘’ I know you are not strong enough to take alcoholic wine, I will prefer you take wine. I think they have got wines with low alcoholic content’’ he suggested.

‘’ Okay’’ Kome replied.

A male attendant came to meet them and John placed an order. It took just two minutes and the attendant was back with a fruit wine and two tumblers. He opened the wine and poured little of its content into both tumblers. John took his and started drinking from his. A young lady climbed the small stage where the music instruments had been set-up.

‘’ Good evening ladies and gentlemen’’ the lady said.

A chorused reply from the audience followed.

‘’ I believe we are all enjoying the moment. As we all know, this is Saturday night live. We urge you all to relax as I and my crew entertain you’’

She broke into a highlife song immediately after the introduction. Kome enjoyed listening to the lady’s voice as she sipped from her tumbler. They sat in silence as they drank and listened.

“Let’s dance’’ John said after a while.

Kome was reluctant as she suddenly became aware of the prying eyes of other patrons. John did not give in as he stood up, walked to her and drew her from her seat. They held hands and danced to the music from the band. Soon after, others came up to take the space around them as they danced slowly to the rhythmic music of the band. They danced for quite a long time before they decided to leave for the guest house they had lodged in. They got back just before it was 10:00pm. As usual, they walked into the reception together. Kome was about leaving when John held her hand.

‘’ Thank you, I enjoyed your company’’ John said.

‘’ I too’’ Kome replied.

A little squeeze and John let her hand off his. Kome could barely wait to escape into the world of dreams. She was suddenly afraid of John’s affection for her. Oddly enough, he was a divorcee and this was not the type of past she envisaged for her next significant other. She also feared becoming a mistress considering the fact that John had never said anything in relation to love. This thoughts lulled her into sleep.

The next morning, she was woken up by a knock on the door. She opened it and saw John staring at her. She was wearing a handless white gown.

‘’ Good morning’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good morning, I hope you slept well?’ John asked.

‘’ Yes’’ she replied.

‘’ We will be leaving for the airport by noon’’ he said.

‘’ Okay’’

John hesitated and left. Kome felt different as she sat on the bed. She opened her bible to read and it occurred to her that she was sure to miss church on that day. Ever since her return back to the faith, she had been faithful with her attendance. She stayed indoors for a long time. It was 10:00am by the time she went to the restaurant. John was sitting on the spot they had eaten the previous day and his gaze was on the television. She sat beside him.

‘’ I thought you won’t be out until it’s time for us to leave’’

‘’ I had to put some things in order’’

‘’ Never mind, we will leave as soon as you are done’’

She ordered for a meal of jollof rice, fish and a can of water. They left for the airport an hour before noon. The flight left as scheduled and they arrived Warri at 2:00pm. John’s driver was already waiting at the airport to pick them. Kome followed them into town and alighted some streets just before hers. John was disappointed as he would have loved to take her to her house. Kome was not interested in revealing her hideout to a possible hunter. She was not interested in having a relationship with John.

1 Like

Re: Grace by oyinella(f): 9:33pm On Feb 16, 2017
nice story dearie, following

1 Like

Re: Grace by warlordz(m): 2:31am On Feb 17, 2017
Nice write-up...It's cool

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:02pm On Feb 17, 2017
The Adoption
Kome felt more lonely as days cropped into months and years followed. She needed company and this she was able to satisfy through her various visits to friends and relations. Her happiest moment were those times friends came to visit her. This efforts though were not enough, she felt she needed a more substantive company than those fleeting relationships she had with friends and others. Another thought that exacerbated her feeling of loneliness was the appearance of John. In those private moments she spent alone, the thought of John kept coming into her mind. She had made conscious effort to avoid him at work but she could not deny the fact that she was beginning to develop a soft spot for him. While an inexperienced little Kome would have given vent to that feeling, she was not prepared to nurse another heartbreak. She saw John more like a friend than a lover.

She made the decision to adopt her daughter in one of those moments of her daily meditation. She called Bose immediately not minding the fact that it was late already.

‘’ Good evening ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good evening Kome’’ Bose yawned’’ Is everything okay?’

‘’ Yes ma, I am sorry for calling late. I felt it was best I ask today’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, what is it?’

‘’ Ma, I want to adopt my daughter’’

‘’ Okay, I will give you the necessary information you need tomorrow’’

‘’ Thank you very much ma. Have a good night rest’’

‘’ You too’’

Kome heaved a sigh of relief as the phone went dead. She slept off in the midst of recollections of her pregnancy and the struggles that followed.

The next day, Bose called after her return from work. She informed her that adoption was possible though she had decided against them revealing her relationship with the girl yet. Bose told her she would have to apply in the office of the government for social welfare. The process was going to take some time but she was certain that her wish will be granted. Kome informed her that she would travel to Benin the next week to start the process.

Kome dropped the phone feeling a little dissatisfied. She had not thought of the process yet and she couldn’t come to terms with the fact that a child she had given away freely could not be returned without going through the government. Despite the feeling of discontent that threatened to overpower her thoughts, she felt energized by the desire to have her daughter back.

The next week, she travelled to Benin on a Thursday afternoon. Bose had moved from her apartment at the GRA to her personal house. A two-room apartment which was almost at the outskirt of the city. Kome arrived just before it was dark. She greeted Bose affectionately as they regarded themselves in a manner that seemed similar to one between mother and daughter. They did not discuss the issue of adoption until they had taken their evening meal. Bose informed her that she had done all the necessary investigation and all depends on when Kome would be willing to apply officially through the office of the government on social welfare. Kome expressed her disappointment with the whole requirements as she was wary of the slow state of government operations. Bose suggested they visit Bridget, the head of the orphanage in order to seek her advice.

The next morning they left for the orphanage at the stroke of ten. They arrived at the orphanage just before it was eleven. It was quite a distance coupled with the little traffic jam they experienced. The compound was quiet on their arrival. The whole environment conveyed the message that the children were not around. They walked the short distance to Bridget’s office and Bose knocked on the door.

‘’ Come in’’

They obeyed the soft elderly voice of Bridget.

‘’ Good morning ma’’ Bose greeted.

‘’ Good morning, nurse’’ Bridget replied cheerily as she got up to shake hands.

‘’ Good morning ma’’ Kome greeted.

‘’ Good morning, my dear’’

Bridget asked them to sit and they obliged.

‘’ Ma, this is Kome Oghale’’

‘’ I think you have been here before?’ Bridget asked Kome.

‘’ Yes’’ Kome replied.

‘’ Ma, she has a request to make’’ Bose said.

‘’ Okay’’

‘’ I want to adopt a child’’ Kome said.

‘’ Do you have an idea or description of the child you want?’ Bridget asked.

‘’ The last time I came here, I saw a girl of nine named Grace. That is the child I have in mind ma’’

‘’ Why not another. Grace is quite grown now and as a matter of fact, this orphanage prefers giving away children in the formative stage of their life’’ Bridget explained.

‘’ That is a good policy ma’’

‘’ Thank you’’

‘’ I’d appreciate if you let me adopt Grace’’

‘’ You are asking for something difficult. Apart from our aforementioned policy, Grace is easily one of the most gifted child in our care. I am curious to know the reason why you insist on Grace’’

Kome looked at Bose for support but she got a bland look in return. She always wanted the issue of Grace to remain a secret.

‘’ Ma, I think she would fit in with my plans’’

‘’ Kome, how do you explain plans? You need something more valid to present other than that’’

Kome sank back almost in despair. The woman in front of her was proving more difficult than she could have imagined. Bose was not pleased with the silence that was threatening to dampen the situation.

‘’ Madam, Kome is the mother of that girl’’ Bose said.

Bridget widened her eyes in disbelief as she looked from Bose to Kome. The impact of the revelation was clearly written on her face.

‘’ Things like this are no longer strange to me but I want to ask, how did you know?’ Bridget asked facing Kome.

‘’ I was the one that dropped her in front of the gate of this orphanage and I wrote the request for you to let her bear that name’’

‘’ This is quite a revelation. Anyway, we are not unilaterally responsible for the adoption process, you should apply at the office of the government on social welfare and youth and sport development to begin the process. As for the issue of maternity, a DNA test need to be conducted’’

‘’ Thank you very much ma’’ Bose said.

Kome had rescinded into silence. They bade Bridget good-bye and left the office. It was some minutes before twelve.

‘’ Kome, I suggest we go to the office for social welfare immediately’’ Bose said.

Kome nodded in reply. She was clearly lost in thought as she took the passenger seat beside Bose. The journey to the office of the government on youth and sports began in earnest as they left the orphanage. They arrived thirty minutes after. The building was built in the form of a bungalow. It bore a refreshed look as the yellow painting on it looked recent. The door that led to the reception was a glass door. They walked in to the well ventilated reception area. Two women sat at the right hand side of the door.

‘’ Good afternoon ma’’ Kome greeted.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ one of the ladies replied and turned to greet Bose.

‘’ We want to make enquiry on how to adopt a child from the orphanage’’ Bose said.

‘’ Okay, wait a while’’

The lady stood up from her seat and walked to a closed door just behind where they sat. She opened the door and disappeared into the room. After a minute, she was back with a form.

‘’ Who among you wants to adopt?’ she asked.

‘’ I’’ Kome said.

‘’ Are you married?’ she asked.

‘’ No’’Kome replied.

‘’ Okay, never mind, just fill this form’’

She gave Kome the form and pointed her to sit in the area reserved for the public. Kome had barely thought less of the implication of her singlehood until the question from the lady. Also she was confronted with it as she filled the form. She took up the issue with Bose who assured her that there was a way out. The form was not difficult to fill as she was done in ten minutes. The lady studied the form for a while once sit was returned.

‘’ Ma’’ she said acknowledging Bose’’ you people will have to return on another date. The director is not on seat and we will call you once we are ready to hear your case’’

‘’ Okay, thank you very much’’ Bose said.

‘’ Thank you ma’’ Kome said afterwards.

They left the building completely lost on what to expect. Kome felt like her excitement had been sucked up. She could easily judge from the state of events that it would be a grueling emotional experience for her if she was to pull this through. Bose drove them to her house and they spent some time watching a movie. They discussed little all through the day and Kome got to know of Franca’s impending marriage. She struggled to sleep that night as the thoughts of her past mistakes kept haunting her. She could barely rationalize her decision to uncover a buried story. It was more than an attempt to evade the advances of John, she felt lonely amidst the activities that took her time. Also, she knew her right as a parent and this was the only way to assert her right. She left Benin for Warri in a haze the next day hoping for that call from the office on social welfare.

The call from the social welfare came in two weeks after she had put in her application. The director and some others were to interview her the next Monday. She was happy when she got the information and phoned Bose immediately. Though it was a busy period in the office, she was sure she would be able to make it. She decided to see the business manager concerning her impending trip on Thursday of the penultimate week. They had just finished a meeting when she approached him.

‘’ Sir, I want to ask for a favour?’ She said.

‘’ What is it?’

‘’ I have an important interview with the office of social welfare in Benin on Monday. I need your assistance to enable me travel’’

‘’ This is quite a difficult request, Monday is quite important’’

John came to meet them at this moment. Kome had successfully pushed John aside. They only got to meet in the office and this was often in the company of other members of staff.

‘’ Mr. John, what is it?’

‘’ Sorry for interrupting, I just want to remind you about the meeting on Monday’’

‘’ Sure, that was what me and my assistant were just discussing. She is asking for permission to travel’’

John looked at Kome.

‘’ Miss Kome, that is an important meeting you must not miss’’

‘’ I know sir. The interview I am going for is quite personal but I would appreciate if you give me the opportunity’’

John drew the business manager aside and they conversed for a minute. John left immediately while the business manager returned to where Kome was standing.

‘’ You can go but be sure to note that you will have some work on your desk on Tuesday’’

‘’ Thank you sir’’

She smiled cheerily and celebrated her little victory. She travelled to Benin on Sunday after the service at her church. Bose was happy to see her and they discussed much about the interview slated for the next day. Bose informed her of her new job as an instructor at the State Nursing College. Kome reckoned she had earlier complained of boredom and she congratulated her.

The interview was scheduled for 9:00am. Kome and Bose arrived just before it was time. It was some few minutes after the time that Kome was called into the office of the director. The director, Mrs. Beatrice Edegbe and her assistant, a man were sitting beside each other. The director is an elderly woman, dark and of average height. Her voice was quite cool and pleasant to listen to. The assistant, Mr. Igine had dark features and Kome could estimate that he was of average height from where he sat. The office was quite stuffy due to the large shelf that stood at the back of the director and the bulk of files that covered the spaces in it. Some refreshing amount of air came from the ceiling fan.

‘’ Good morning, you can have your seat’’

She sat on one of the chairs facing both officials.

‘’ What is your name?’ Beatrice asked.

‘’ Kome Oghale’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, Miss Kome, we have gone through your application form and seen that you could be given a chance. Though we have some issues that needs to be addressed before we could go any further?’ Beatrice said.

‘’ What are the issues?’

‘’ We discovered that you are not married and we don’t usually encourage giving children to single parents’’ Beatrice said.

‘’ I think I understand your reasons but I can assure you that I will provide the necessary support for any child you release into my care’’

‘’ Okay, why do you want to adopt from this state since you work and live in Delta state?’

‘’ The reason is quite personal and very important’’

‘’ Can you tell us?’

‘’ Ma, I think it is quite early to tell but I can assure you that I will tell you once it’s time’’

‘’ Okay. Miss Kome have you decided on any orphanage to choose from yet?’ Beatrice asked.

‘’ Yes, Mother Theresa home is my preferred choice’’

‘’ You must have had everything planned out already’’ Beatrice smiled.

‘’ Yes ma’’

‘’ So do you have a guardian or a surety to stand for you?’

‘’ Yes ma, she came with me. She is in the reception’’

‘’ Can you call her, we would like to see her’’

Kome stood up and left the office. She returned with Bose.

‘’ Ma, this is Mrs Bose Idise’’ Kome said.

Beatrice stood up and shook Bose and they exchanged greetings. Mr. Igbine greeted Bose after Beatrice had sat down.

‘’ So Mrs. Idise, you are willing to support Kome through this application process?’ Mr. Igbine asked.

‘’ Yes’’ Bose replied.

‘’Are you sure about her parenting ability?’ Mr. Igbine asked.

‘’ Not quite but I believe we all grow into parenthood and I can actually help her adjust to the demands’’

‘’ Okay ma. We understand that you are a resident of this state?’

‘’ Yes, I am’’

‘’Okay, I think that is all the information we need for now’’ Mr. Igbine said after receiving the support of Beatrice.
Bose left the office leaving Kome.

‘’ Miss Oghale, I hope you understand that this is not really a private matter. It takes some time to process. You will have to appear before a magistrate’’ Beatrice said.

‘’ Okay, when will this be?’

‘’ We will ensure to submit your application to the nearest magistrate court as soon as we can. Meanwhile, since you already have an idea of where you intend to go and adopt, we will give you a letter to that effect. Also, you will have to pay a sum of five thousand naira to complete the process’’

‘’ Okay ma’’

She brought out her purse and paid immediately and a receipt was given to her by Igbine.

‘’ You just wait outside while we prepare the letter’’

Kome stood up and left the office. She met Bose who was reading a small leaflet. They conversed for a while until Mr. Igbine brought the letter.

‘’ Miss Oghale, this letter has the seal of the permanent secretary and it authorizes you to work towards adopting any child you want’’

‘’ Thank you sir’’

She took the letter from him and Igbine left the reception. Bose took the sealed letter and they left the premises of the office of the government on social welfare. They drove straight to the Mother Theresa orphanage home. Bridget was outside, regally dressed in her white smock. She welcomed them cheerily and they walked into her office together.

‘’ So what can I do for you?’ she asked.

‘’ Ma, I was interviewed by officials of the government on social welfare and they gave me a letter to the effect that I could adopt’’

She gave the sealed letter to Bridget. She opened the envelope and read through the letter. After some three minutes, she shook her head in agreement.

‘’ So do you want to still go with your preference’’

‘’ Yes ma, she is the reason why I am doing this’’

‘’ Okay, miss Kome as I told you earlier, a DNA test will be conducted to ascertain if she is your daughter. This is necessary considering the fact that we don’t give out grown children for adoption’’

‘’ I understand ma’’

‘’ There is a laboratory nearby we could go to. Grace will not be able to do hers today but I am pleading that you give us two weeks for us to conclude this routine and then we would hand her over to you’’

‘’ Okay ma’’

They left for the laboratory together and sample of her buccal cells was taken. They drove Bridget back to the orphanage and bade her good-bye at the gate. While Kome was happy for the way events had panned out, she still nursed mixed feelings concerning her new found desire. They arrived at Bose’s house at 2:00pm. She rested a little and left for Warri an hour after. She was pleased by the turn of events and she entertained herself with music playing from the car’s CD player.
She made sure she slept early in anticipation of a busy day at work the next day.

1 Like

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 6:01pm On Feb 17, 2017
Ride on boss

1 Like

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 9:49pm On Feb 17, 2017
Very interesting sir, can't wait for the nest episode. God's wisdom

1 Like

Re: Grace by oyinella(f): 10:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
nice episode, but I hope franca is not getting married to komes ex

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:59am On Feb 18, 2017
oyinella:
nice episode, but I hope franca is not getting married to komes ex
This comment got some Twist to it. Let's wait and see.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 2:56pm On Feb 18, 2017
She arrived early at work the next day. She was about entering the reception area when she heard a familiar voice call her. It was John.

‘’ Good morning, Miss Kome’’

‘’ Good morning sir’’

‘’ How was the interview?’

‘’ It was fine’’

‘’ Miss Kome, could we have lunch together?’

Kome hesitated to answer while she averted her eyes.

‘’ Thanks but I don’t think I will be chanced’’

‘’ Okay, have a nice day’’

‘’ Thanks and you too’’

John walked on ahead of her into the building. She followed behind while she contemplated her reply. She had made up her mind on John and it was her intention to restrict their interaction outside official duties.

Kome could barely believe her thoughts as she became pre-occupied with the slow movement of time. She could barely wait for the two weeks to elapse and as the days rolled on, her anxiety heightened. She was finally going to get back her baby. She felt like a heroine in her own story in spite of her failed relationships. Bridget called a week after to confirm the fact that Grace was indeed her daughter and that the date they agreed on was feasible. She could hardly contain her joy and she called Bose thereafter. Bose congratulated her and offered her some words of advice.

Saturday, the twentieth of July, 2014 arrived to a much prepared Kome. She had made alterations to the second room as she was prepared to give her daughter the best treatment. She left for Benin that morning having bought some foodstuff and provision for the orphanage. She arrived the city of Benin at 10:00am and drove straight to Bose’s home. She wanted her company for the trip to the orphanage. They arrived the orphanage some minutes after eleven. The sun was already out casting some beautiful glow on the grass of the lawn. There was quiet all around the compound and Kome was struck by the serene state of things. They walked into the reception and found the children deeply engrossed in a discussion with Bridget. Some of the children’s attention were immediately turned to them and Bridget was forced to look back at the intruders. She flashed a smile and then turned to the children. She asked them to disperse for a while. She went to meet Kome and Bose where they were standing.

‘’ You are welcome’’ she said with a smile.

‘’ Can you come to my office?’ she asked.

‘’ Okay’’ Bose said.

They followed her into the office.

‘’ Miss Kome, you are welcome once again.

Today is indeed an auspicious day and I was just informing the children about a change that could happen today. It is indeed a pity that you are about to take Grace away. We recognize your right to her but it would be fitting if we had a little session together before you take her away’’
Kome listened with rap attention and Bridget felt encouraged by her interest.

‘’ Ma’’ Bridget called to Bose.

‘’ Yes’’

‘’ Can I speak with Kome for an hour. It is a necessary session which must be done as a means to make the relationship between the intending parent and the adopted child to be a smooth process’’

‘’ Okay, I will be outside’’

Bose left the office. Bridget turned to Kome and an hour of discussion followed. Bridget gave her some general lessons as to how a parent should behave towards a child and also some specific lessons on the character traits of Grace. It was a counselling session which Kome was grateful for. Bose was called in after the session ended and they had a small discussion. Bridget left the office and returned with Grace. She bore a bland expression but betrayed no sign of reluctance. Kome saw that Grace had grown tall, had a dark skin like her father and bore a facial structure like hers.

‘’ Grace, this is your new mother’’ Bridget said.

Grace looked at Kome a little while and averted her eyes.

‘’ You ought to greet’’ Bridget said somewhat sternly.

‘’ Good afternoon ma’’ she greeted.

Kome stood up and embraced her. Bridget led them out of the office. Outside was a bag that belong to Grace. The children had gathered once again in the space beside the reception. Kome felt the inquisitive stare of the children bore through her mind. She wondered how many of these children had mothers like her who were willing to come back to take them or those who had totally forgotten about them. She felt pity for the children.

‘’ Children, as I told you, a change is about to take place. Grace…’’ Bridget was holding her by her side ‘’ is leaving us today for a new home’’

Cries of unreadable expressions followed the announcement. Bridget waited a while for the noise to drown out. She beckoned to Kome who came to stand beside her.

‘’ This is her new mother. Grace is following her to Warri’’

This seemed to derive a cry of protest from the children. It could easily be seen that Grace was indeed popular among the children.

‘’ I understand your worry but I can assure you that she will be well taken care of and she will also come visiting from time to time’’

She ended the speech and led Kome, Bose, and Grace out of the building to the blazing heat of the sun.

‘’ Ma, I brought some food items for the children. It is in the boot of my car’’

‘’ Okay, I will have to inform some people to get it out. Please excuse me’’

She left them. Silence hung around the small gathering after her exit. She came back sooner with two young men who followed Kome to where she had parked her car. They brought out all the food items and Bridget expressed her gratitude. Kome sat on the driver’s seat, Bose sat beside her and Grace sat at the back. They drove to Bose’s home in silence except from the noise that came from the people and cars on the streets. They arrived Bose’s home just after it was 2:00pm. Bose held Grace’s right hand and Kome followed behind as they walked into the house.

‘’ So Grace, you are welcome to my home’’ Bose said accentuating her voice.

‘’ Thank you ma’’ she replied coldly.

‘’ I understand how you are feeling but I want you to cheer up’’ Bose said turning to look at Grace.

Grace was clearly not happy. She felt disconnected from the settings and this made her pine for the only home she knew. Kome stood some little distance away and watched the scene between Bose and Grace.

‘’ I want you to be happy with your new home. I will ensure to check on you’’ Bose said.

Grace nodded her head and a tear escaped from her left eye. Bose embraced her. She left Grace and asked Kome to come with her outside. Grace looked around the sitting-room. She felt lonely for the first time in her life once Bose and Kome left. She was pessimistic about the change that was about to happen. She could have been consoled if this was her new home but it was Warri. She only knew that place in words and it was quite a different world which she never gave thought to in the past. The reality of her separation was aggravated by the outside location of her new home. Bose and Kome had some few minutes and returned in a fair enough time to rescue Grace from the protest that was gradually forming in her heart.

‘’ Grace, it’s time to leave’’ Kome said.

‘’ Ma, can I stay with you?’ Grace asked looking at Bose.

Kome could barely hide her disdain. Bose walked to where Grace was sitting and drew her up.

‘’ I am not your mother’’ she pointed to Kome ’’…she is’’

‘’ I don’t want to go’’ she said.

Kome could not believe what she felt was an act of rebellion. She left the room in a bid to suppress her irritation. She stood outside for a while and after some minutes Bose led Grace out of the sitting room. They walked to where the car was parked in silence. Kome took the driver’s position and turned on the engine. Grace embraced Bose and clung to her for a while. Bose urged her to enter the car and after some pleading she entered. Immediately, Kome waved Bose and drove out of the compound.

Kome found a hard time suppressing her disgust with the behaviour of her daughter. She felt cheated and this made her to face the road sternly without turning back to look at her. Few minutes in to the journey just after they had left the main roundabout of Benin, Grace fell asleep. It was a pleasing situation as Kome felt released from the task of initiating a conversation with her. She struggled to keep her thoughts in check and would have put on the car stereo but she feared it could disturb the sleeping child. She could not but admit the fact that she was quite pleased to have her daughter back and no matter her behaviour, she was going to make sure they get on together. She arrived home with such determined and pleasant thoughts swirling in her mind. She walked to the second door, opened it and tapped her. Grace woke up with eyes tired and weary from sleeping.

‘’ You are welcome home’’ she announced.

Kome walked to the front of her house and opened the door. She was taken aback by the quiet environment and she turned to look at her watch. It was 6:00pm. Grace took some time to come and Kome returned to where the car was parked. She went and opened the boot and handed her luggage to her. Grace stood to wait for her as she closed and locked the doors of the car.

‘’ Come with me’’

She led the way while Grace walked slowly behind her. She walked past the sitting-room and showed her the second room which she had prepared for Grace’s arrival. She opened the door and turned to look at Grace.

‘’ This is your room’’ she said.

‘’ Thank you ma’’ Grace grunted.

She walked away after Grace had entered the room. She was at least satisfied that she had uttered a word of acknowledgement. Kome placed a call to Bose.

‘’ Kome, are you home already?’ Bose asked.

‘’ Yes ma, we got home not too long ago’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, how is Grace?’

‘’ She is still dragging her feet’’

‘’ Don’t worry and please be patient. The reality is that she has been taken from a world she is already used to. Also she is a teenager’’

‘’ Thank you ma for your advice’’

‘’ You are welcome. Just make sure to form a common bond, three months is all you have’’

‘’ I understand ma’’

The line went off and Kome dropped her phone on the dresser. She looked at the mirror and could easily relate with the image that stared back at her. Although she noticed a bit of strain on her eyes, she had barely done well in her first day as a parent. She was already feeling the strain of unreturned love. She stood up and changed to a short and a singlet. She walked to the sitting room and opened the refrigerator. She had some left over soup in a white plastic bowl which she took to the kitchen.

1 Like

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 8:36pm On Feb 18, 2017
Kome should keep it cool with her daughter.Been torn away from the environment you are used to is usually hard.
Ride on boss
Re: Grace by oyinda1242(f): 9:05pm On Feb 18, 2017
xaviercasmir:
Kome should keep it cool with her daughter.Been torn away from the environment you are used to is usually hard.
Ride on boss
yeah...i think the same thing too
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:37pm On Feb 19, 2017
Grace had stayed awake since her arrival in her new home. She loved the house as it was beautiful but it was quite lonely and she thought the owner as hostile. She had not asked for a mother and now they had given her one. She sat on the bed and cried bitterly. She had not thought of her possible reaction to her eventual exit since she was told about the arrangement a month ago. The test at the hospital was indeed the start of a change in her life which she was not receptive to. She had always thought of what comfort she could get from having her personal room. She had shared room with others since she was conscious of her being but suddenly her dream had appeared suddenly and it was almost like a nightmare she was afraid may drag on for too long.

The knock on the door startled her. It was 7:00pm on the clock that hung on the wall of the left side of the room. She cleaned her eyes and went to open the door.

Kome managed to smile at her. Her eyes were red and the fact that she had been crying was evident in her face.

‘’ Food is ready’’ she said.

‘’ Okay ma’’

Kome left her standing and went back to the sitting-room. Grace came after a few minutes. Kome prepared eba along with ogbono soup. The setting was the dinning session adjoining the sitting room. The dining consist of a wooden table and four chairs. She had placed her food at the end while Grace’s by her side. She waited for Grace to come around before she prayed and they started eating. Silence prevailed and she took surreptitious look at Grace as she ate slowly from her portion. She had resolved to let time bear the burden of cementing their relationship. Also she was not ready to use the advantage of a biological relationship.

‘’ So how was it?’ Kome asked.

‘’ It was fine ma’’ she said.

‘’ Grace, I know you are already missing your friends and I am sorry for separating you from them’’

‘’ Ma, they are my family. I want to go back’’

Kome was lost for words as she looked dumbfounded at her. Grace still had a sombre look on her face. After some minutes of contemplation, Kome stood up and carried her plates to the kitchen. She went to her room afterwards. She sat on her bed and gave vent to her thoughts. She felt unfortunate. All her efforts to correct the missteps of the past were almost going to plan and now she had Grace to deal with. She had made up her mind to be the best parent she could have but here was Grace trying to make her effort difficult. She stood up after some twenty minutes and went to Grace’s room. She opened it and entered. She was already lying on the bed. She went to sit on the bed and led a short prayer.

‘’ Tomorrow is church service, get ready on time as we will be leaving by 7:00am’’

‘’ Okay ma’’

Kome stood up and left the room. She slept off in the midst of conflicting thoughts that raged in her mind.

Mother and Daughter

The first week after the arrival of Grace was a busy period for Kome hence Grace was often alone at home. It proved to be a difficult time for Kome as the little time she had to spend with Grace was a kind of torture due to her reluctance to discuss with her. She wanted to be part and parcel of Grace’s world but she was unwilling to help. Kome could not help but become suspicious of a conspiracy to deprive her of her daughter. She kept most of these issues to herself as she was unwilling to share her problems with Bose. The effect of her relationship with Grace did not become a major problem as she performed optimally at her work place. It was Thursday that she thought of taking Grace along with her to the one of the beaches at Abraka. She felt the cool breeze and the motley of people could ease whatever tension that has affected their relationship negatively.
She broke the news to Grace as they took their dinner on Friday. She murmured an answer. Little had changed about her physical appearance and Kome could not but acknowledge that the orphanage was well run. They had their devotion together before retiring for the night.

Kome settled down to see a movie but her mind struggled to stay on the actions. Sometime ago, she could easily have been consumed with the politics and intrigues of the work place but that had been shelved for her private life in the meantime. She had her daughter to worry about and John was a distant proposition. They had barely had a moment alone and this was to her delight. Life had dealt her some lessons as regards her relationship and she was not prepared to satisfy the longings of any man at her own expense. The beach offered more than a chance to bond with her daughter. She could at least make do with the exhilarating feeling evoked by that awesome work of nature. She stood up and switched off the electronics before going off to sleep.
They woke up quite early the next day. Kome did the laundry and also prepared food while Grace helped with other chores.

They left for Abraka just before it was 9:00am. The drive was smooth as traffic moved steadily in the right direction. They arrived at the McCarthy beach just before the rays of the sun illuminated the blue sky. She wore some a white shirt and a knee length short. Grace was dressed in like manner. Once they found a spot at the beach, she urged her to go and join the others who were already playing very close to the water. Grace hurried off and this gave Kome some delight. Kome enjoyed the scene as she watched others play along by the shore of the water. She was still enjoying the view when she felt a cold hand on her shoulder. She startled and was doubly surprised by the smiling face of John. He wore a white shirt and a short that stopped just above his knees.

‘’ How are you?’ John asked.

‘’ I am fine’’ she replied.

‘’ Can I sit beside you?’ he asked.

‘’ Okay’’

She shifted a little and John squatted before sitting on the sand. The white clothes were a sharp contrast to his complexion. The white only illuminated his features and Kome smiled in admiration.

‘’ So how often do you come here?’ he asked.

‘’ Once in a while. I cannot recall the last time I came here’’ she said.

‘’ Since I discovered this place, it has become one of my favourite relaxation spot’’ he said.

They looked at each other for a while and John looked away afterwards.

‘’ So do you have company?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Yes’’ he turned and pointed to a group of men’’ they are over there. How about you?'

‘’ Yes…’’

Kome saw Grace coming towards them at this point. John got the cue as he turned to where Kome was facing. Grace was soaked already and the delight on her face was obvious. Kome stood up once Grace got to where she was. Kome and Grace talked for a while before Grace left with her car key.

‘’ Is she your sister?’ John asked.

‘’ No, she is my daughter’’ Kome replied as her gaze met John’s.

‘’ Okay’’ he drawled ‘’ it’s just that I never thought of you as a mother’’

‘’ So how do mothers behave?’

‘’ Never mind, but it will indeed make a fine family’’ he said and looked away.

Kome stole a look at him.

‘’ Kome, I have thought over this and I believe it is best I say it now. I want you to be my wife’’

It came as a shock and then the realization of its implication made her to withdraw into silence. She looked at him and the look on John’s face was unmistakable. He meant what he had said.

‘’ Mr. John, I barely know you’’

‘’ This is not a bad spot to start. After all we barely get to see each other in the office’’

She smiled and looked away. Grace was out of sight but not out of her mind. She only had one thought and that was envisaging what the future held in store for her.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grace by Nobody: 4:45pm On Feb 19, 2017
the end?
Re: Grace by hormobolanle: 7:01pm On Feb 19, 2017
d end kwaaaa ha. bros u no try o how come d interesting story ended like dat? diaris God o
Re: Grace by eitsei(m): 7:18pm On Feb 19, 2017
It shouldn't end like this o
Re: Grace by heemah(f): 7:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
The end bawo? Don't leave us hanging nah...Biko
Re: Grace by kajsa08: 8:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
Akposb don't lemme look for ur next update o. come n complete it. #inofitshout

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 9:56pm On Feb 19, 2017
OP the story must not end here o you have to continue
Re: Grace by zika19(f): 11:07pm On Feb 19, 2017
so interesting. well done. loved ur consistency in updating. more wisdom nd knowledge.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 6:49am On Feb 20, 2017
First of all, I am sorry if the end seems rushed or abrupt. Life is indeed continuum and I felt I should let Kome. But if you insist I might come up with an epilogue but let's understand there is no conventional ending. Thanks for reading.
Re: Grace by eitsei(m): 6:57am On Feb 20, 2017
Akposb:
First of all, I am sorry if the end seems rushed or abrupt. Life is indeed continuum and I felt I should let Kome. But if you insist I might come up with an epilogue but let's understand there is no conventional ending. Thanks for reading.
what about Grace's father? We really need to know if kome and her mom get along well? Did she found out kome is her biological mom and not adopted mom? And other questions waiting to be answered

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / Remember Me / My Son My Man- A Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.