Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,435 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Grace - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Grace (24466 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie, Her Father, James Nwoye Adichie & Mother Grace Ifeoma Bond / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments / Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grace by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:11am On Feb 09, 2017
heemah:
She shouldn't have abandoned her baby cuz she 'll later regret this. There are so many other ways of putting d girl in an orphanage home other than this.
Hiya, Hymn! You still don't know much about being a millionaire
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 2:19pm On Feb 09, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Orphanages don't kill kids, do they? At a time, when we have to make choices, it would be good if we knew that accidents do happen even if we took the best decisions. I admire her will.
So much bro... good to have you here. I am eager to get some critical comment if any.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 2:29pm On Feb 09, 2017
Days went by, weeks into month and Kome relished the freedom that came with the separation from her baby. The news from the school came in at this moment. Her request had been granted and she had been posted to Osun state for her youth service. Rachael had been posted to the nation’s capital, Abuja.

She resigned from her position at the restaurant a week before going for youth service. She arrived in camp early on 27th day of June 2000. It was the first day of registration and she was among those who registered first. She was immediately taken up by the quiet ambience of the expansive ground of the camp. Youths in white shirts and shorts milling around coupled with the military officials were the major symbol that marked the camp apart from familiar daily activities. Settling into the frenetic and boisterous pace of activities was not a big challenge for her. She also enjoyed the sense of anonymity that came with the environment. She got familiar with a young lady of twenty three who was among her many roommates. Her friend was Biola, a Yoruba lady and a graduate from the premier university located in Ibadan. They spent most time in each other’s company.

A week into the camping activity, she would seriously consider giving her heart away. Camp had such a frenetic pace that could be closely associated with youthful zest. Underneath this sense of preparing for national service was a healthy ground for the meeting and formation of love interests. While Kome was content to stay away from the love scene, she could not wish away the fact that she was in need of a male companion. She had been starved of this for too long and therefore her meeting with Paul was a kind of answer to her prayers.
Paul was a member of her platoon and one of those who participated in the match past. Kome was also among them. He approached her after one of their practices.

‘’ How was the practice?’

She turned suddenly to be confronted by the tall, dark and good looking Paul. He had a broad face and she could almost guess rightly that he was from the East.

‘’ It was fine’’ she replied blandly.

‘’ My name is Paul. What is yours?’ he asked.

‘’ Kome’’ she said.

‘’ Ku..me’’ he pronounced slowly.

It was not a familiar name and she knew this all right.

‘’ Which state?’ he asked.

‘’ Delta’’ she replied.

‘’ Good. I am from Imo’’ he said.

They started off from there and as the days went the bond between them grew stronger. Paul was a graduate of geology and always made a point of showing his extensive knowledge of the geography of the country. Kome listened on affectionately and also chipped in her own ideas. She also made her voice heard as she always emphasized the fact that business had great benefits for the society which was a major reason why she decided to study it in school. The friendship was symbiotic in all forms and theirs almost leaned much on debating knowledge than matters of the heart. Her friendship with Biola and Paul coupled with the activities she took part in camp made the experience both thrilling and beautiful. She was finally experiencing the thrills of being a youth. She had barely given no time to the thought of her baby. Safe in the consolation of having given her a secure home, she also added verve to her resolve to situate that experience in the redundant archive of her past. Life promised much and this she was going to enjoy as long as it lasted.

Days went by so fast in the view of some while for others, the days seem to drag on. Kome was among the few who felt the days were quite fast as she had enjoyed every bit of the camp experience despite the regimented life-style of the camp. The camp-fire night was one of the most thrilling part of the activities in the final days of the camp. This was after a grueling endurance trek from the camp site to the city of Ife. The night was a splendid period where love alliances that had been struck in camp were sometimes consummated. Kome and Paul took part in the fun activity of their platoon. They danced and enjoyed the meal that was prepared by members of their platoon. After some time, they went to a place not too far from the bustling and boisterous atmosphere situated around the raging inferno and sat to reminisce over the days they had spent together. The next week would see the rounding up of activities and it was most times a case where couples are separated as a result of being posted to different areas to serve their primary assignment. This fact was not lost on both of them as they sat quietly listening to those unsaid words that threatened to spill from their mouths. As the night faded and the chirps of the bird sounded in the not too distant forest from them, they brought their heads together and shared their first kiss. It was an act that confirmed the fact that they were in love.

The final day of camp arrived. Everybody had that feeling of happiness clearly expressed on their faces and the atmosphere was quite a lively one. The corps members gathered at the parade ground as early as 6:00am and waited with anxiety for the governor to arrive. He was primed to flag off the match past that would lead to the official closure of camp activities. The governor did not arrive until about 10:00am. The speech was done and the match past followed immediately. It was a beautiful parade that was acknowledged by enthusiastic cheers from the spectating corps members.

Immediately the match past disengaged, every one raced down to the front of the secretariat to get their posting letter. This was just the dreary moment that would seal the fate of many. The lucky ones would see themselves and their friends posted to the same place while the unfortunate ones may end up posted to areas that are located at either ends of the state.

Kome and Paul’s fate were mid-way between this as Kome was posted to Ife while Paul was posted to Ikire. Both were neighbouring towns. Biola was also posted to Ife and the fact that her friends were not far apart gladdened Kome’s heart. Her separation from Paul was nevertheless a sober one as she felt threatened by the distance between them. Life after camp was a sharp departure from the three weeks of regimented life-style. Kome and Biola spent the first few nights in the local government designated corps members lodge. Once they were done with registration, they were given permission to travel for a week.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 2:40pm On Feb 09, 2017
Jisi ike nwannem nwoke.
Anticipating for your next update.
Re: Grace by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:23pm On Feb 09, 2017
Akposb:

So much bro... good to have you here. I am eager to get some critical comment if any.
It's all been good. But the decision to take the child to an orphanage was too hasty. There was no buildup, it came so sudden. She was parting with a child, that thought must have lingered on her mind for maybe a month or more. I hope you understand.

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:01pm On Feb 10, 2017
The decision to travel home appeared as a thought at first as the bus journeyed from Ife to Benin. Kome feared the reaction she might get from her father and this made her rebuff the idea. The thought came back strongly in the night after her arrival in Benin. The fact that she was the only one in Rachael’s room accentuated this feeling. She knew she could not possibly run away from home for too long and the earlier she made a decision to return home, the better it would be for her. She resolved to return home the next day clad in her uniform. She knew she could possibly gloss over the ill-feelings and anxiety of the past with a public show of her service uniform. This would also put the murmurings of those around to rest. Therefore, she arrived in Oleh late that afternoon clad in her youth service uniform. She alighted from the motorcycle and could easily identify with the looks from neighbours. A few came around to greet her even though she could easily see that they had questions that were waiting to be asked. A year was a long time and that was the longest she had stayed away from home.

She reached the front of their house and knocked repeatedly. After receiving no answer, she sat down on a chair in the veranda in order to wait. It was 4:00pm and her father would not be back until an hour time. She turned her attention to her immediate surrounding and tried to identify with the changes that had taken place since she left. After some time, she rested her head on her knees. She had not slept for long when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She raised her head and saw the 5 feet stature of her father. He instinctively drew her up and embraced her. She was surprised by this gesture and she gladly relaxed into the embrace.

‘’ My daughter, I have missed you’’ he said.

She could only sob in return and every of her attempt to speak was delivered in muffled tone. They disengaged, her father went on to open the door and they walked into the house. He was excited to see her in the service uniform but he did not go beyond that. Kome was indifferent to his decision to skip the inquiry of her past year activities. She went into her room and looked at it in its well-arranged but abandoned state. She was certain that no one had been in her room. Despite the separation from her baby, Kome still bore an attachment to her. Every now and then, she still had to clean the breast milk that seeped out. It was a secret even if it was not going to be described as such.

Oghale, Kome’s father had not expected her back even though he had missed his only child. Therefore, when he met her outside his house that evening, he had little to say than to accept her back. The decision not to ask about her past year was a deliberate act not to uncover his past feelings of fear and worries. In fact, he had struggled to locate his daughter since she left without informing him of where she was heading to. He searched as far as he could but he was unable to locate her. His search were mainly restricted to the home of his relations. He knew Kome hardly had any relationship with her mother’s people hence the decision not to search for her in their homes. He had struggled to own up to the fact that he had failed to protect his daughter. He made the Reverend of his church his close confidant at this point. The Reverend urged him to forgive himself and pray for her safe return. Therefore, his joy at meeting her just in front of his house. Also, she came clad in a respectable garb such as the service uniform. He was therefore assured of the fact that she had made progress since she left.

The night was spent in silence as father and daughter enjoyed a sense of peace that had eluded them for the past one year. Despite this, the thought of what had happened to the pregnancy still hung up in the air.

Kome spent the next one week in Oleh, savouring the cool air of the town and also visited some of her friends. They were all happy to see her and they were curious to know where she had gone since the past year. She could only reply cryptically that she had an important task to take care of in Benin. She was safe in the knowledge that they took her reply seriously. Obviously, it was a taboo to utter the fact that she was a nursing mother.

Once in a while in those moments she spent alone, the thought of her baby kept appearing in her mind. A baby is often referred to as a blessing but her experience had shown that this statement was only applicable to those born in marriage. She struggled with the feeling of betrayal and this tend to put her in a depressed mood. Her feeling of disenchantment and disconnection would only increase as the days led up to a week. She decided against staying more than a week and thus she left as soon as the new week came around.
She arrived Ife in new spirits.

Fractured and frayed

Kome had been posted to a bank where she was to serve as a member of the loan team. Her job entails studying business proposals and accessing viable they were going to be in the long run. She was set to earn a sum of forty thousand naira, a huge sum. Work resumed in earnest on her return to Ife. It was a thrilling first month as she got introduced to the practical aspect of what she had learnt in school. She enjoyed the work of the team as the manager was eager to put them through in areas they were not sure of. She was beginning to wear a genuine smile as life continued on an upward plane. The only missing link was Paul. Biola and her exchanged visits thus they were still quite close. She could not imagine what Paul could be doing. Paul was working in a school as a teacher. Work was fun though and this effectively engaged her attention.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 7:55pm On Feb 10, 2017
Nice write up sir, may God increase your wisdom.
Really happy about ur ppa Kome
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:01am On Feb 11, 2017
Johnsonibx:
Nice write up sir, may God increase your wisdom.
Really happy about ur ppa Kome
Thank you very much sir.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 8:40am On Feb 11, 2017
Two months gone and she had heard nothing from Paul. She was desperate to see him but she feared visiting him against his wish. She brought the issue to Biola’s attention who encouraged her to go and visit Paul. On a Saturday, she decided to go and pay Paul a surprise visit. The journey to the town was less than an hour. She was taken by surprise as she looked at the undeveloped state of Ikire. She stood for a while before unfolding the paper that she had copied her destination into. She was headed for Ayedaade grammar school. She motioned to a motorcycle rider and showed him the sheet of paper she was holding. He nodded his head to confirm that he knew it. She immediately sat on the bike and urged him to move. It was quite a long journey as they rode past some narrow tracks in the bush. It was quite a long distance and Kome reckoned that the bus must have dropped her off at the outskirt of the village. They arrived at the front of a building which had been divided into several rooms ostensibly class-rooms. She alighted and paid the motorcycle rider. She trudged on through the path that led to the building and took a side turn around the building. She was greeted by a yawning triangular space which had buildings at each point. She stood a while struggling to come up with a choice when she saw some young boys approaching. She beckoned to them and they came around.

‘’ How are you?’ she asked.

‘’ We are fine ma’’ they chorused.

‘’ I am looking for a corper that teaches in this school’’ she said.

They looked at each other for a short moment before one of them raised his hand.

‘’ Ma, we have two corpers, a male and a female’’ he stuttered.

‘’ Okay, I want to see the male’’ she said.

‘’ Okay ma. Come let’s show you’’ the boy said.

They led her past the classroom at the head of the triangle and soon came upon an open area. She saw him from afar with some boys who were engaged in a game of football. He wore a short that stretched to his knee but had nothing on the upper part of his frame. He had a lean stature, with broad shoulders. She admired him from afar as they covered the distance between them and the boys on the field.

‘’It was definitely going to be a surprise’’ she thought.

They were noticed just before they closed on them. Paul saw her and smiled in approval. She knew immediately that her visit was indeed a pleasant surprise. Paul left the little patch of land and started walking to meet them.

‘’ Good morning’’ Kome greeted.

‘’ Good morning, I must say this is indeed a pleasant surprise’’ he said.

She would have loved to embrace him but for his sweaty and dirty body, she restrained herself. Paul asked her to come with him as they walked around the small pitch. He led her to a building farther down the compound. A cool breeze was blowing and the trees waved luxuriantly in response to the bust of fresh air. She had difficulty with the topography of the land due to its downward and uphill arrangement.

‘’ So how was the journey?’ he asked after a while.

‘’ It was fine. The journey from the outskirt to this place was quite a distance though’’ she said.

‘’ That is just it. It seems I have been sent into a hole. I hardly have any company apart from the indigenes’’ he said with mixed feeling.

He had a wan smile on and she could tell that he was not completely against the idea of having his service here.

‘’ But the place is looking good’’ Kome said.

They had reached the front of a two roomed house. The compound was fairly clean. Paul went on to unlock the padlock.

‘’ Yes, I am enjoying it and the students are giving me an opportunity to unlock my knowledge of Chemistry and Physics. Though they struggle to comprehend sometimes’’

He opened the door and ushered Kome into his house. The room was quite big. It was fairly furnished with a carpet covering the floor, a mattress at the extreme end and a study table with a chair. There were books on the table and the air was quite cool. She took in this sight while Paul moved around searching for an unknown item.

‘’ Sorry, you can have your seat’’ he offered.

She drew the chair from under the table and sat on it. She felt relaxed as she turned her attention to Paul.

‘’ Please, feel at home let me just go and have my bath’’ he said.

He was off and she turned to the books on the table. She took a textbook on chemistry and started going through it. She enjoyed the graphics that was in sufficient display in the book. Her attention must have been captured by the book because she did not feel his absence until his return from the bathroom.

‘’ So how is work?’ he asked.

He sat on the bed and was applying cream to the bare part of his body.

‘’ Work is going well. Though the bank sometimes demand so much from us’’

‘’ I know banks are high pressured environment but I think you are gaining a valuable experience working there’’

‘’ Yes, it has improved my knowledge about building a good business’’

‘’ That is cool’’

He stood up and dropped the cream on the table. Kome eyed his frame and smiled.

‘’ Why are you smiling?’ he asked.

‘’ Nothing’’ she replied with her head bowed.
Paul shrugged to her relief.

‘’ What do I entertain you with?’ he asked.

‘’ Anything or better still, it would be nice to taste your food’’ she replied.

Paul smiled at her sincere wish.

‘’ That makes my work easier. I intend to prepare yam this morning. I just hope it does not take long’’ he said.

He stood up and went outside. He took a tuber of yam from a corner of the room and started cutting it into bits.

‘’ So what is it you like about this place?’ Kome asked.

‘’ It is a very cool place to live in. A touch of near primitive life and so many other attractions that I can’t describe’’ he replied.

Once he was done with peeling the yams, he poured it into a pot of water. He went out of her view to the front of the house where he had a stove. He put the pot on the fire coming out of the stove and returned to the room.

‘’ Seriously, I am indeed surprised at your visit’’ he gushed.

‘’ You abandoned me for these two months’’ she sulked.

‘’ I am sorry. Finances are almost thin’’ he said.

She shook her head as if in agreement. They would go on to discuss several things as Paul went on with the task of preparing the meal. He fried three eggs afterwards garnished with tomatoes and pepper. Once he was done they sat down to eat from the same plate.

‘’ This is nice’’ she said.

He replied with a slight smile. She really enjoyed the meal. Once Paul had taken the plates away, he beckoned on her to come and sit with him on the bed. She obliged and sat facing him. She could feel her heartbeat increase. She had this feeling once and that was for Eric. Paul smiled at her as if to reassure her.

‘’ I will like to kiss you again. I enjoyed the first time’’ he said.

‘’ What are you waiting for’’ she replied with a smile.

Paul drew closer and kissed her. It was slow at first and after a while the tempo increased and they started undressing themselves. Kome could feel her heartbeat racing and was candidly looking forward to the experience. Her first with Eric was like a forced intercourse but she was willing this time. She felt loved once again. They spent some time together in each other arms before she decided to leave. Paul tried to urge her to stay but Kome refused. She left the lodge at exactly 4:00pm for the onward journey out of Ikire. She had enjoyed her meeting with Paul and could not wait to have another of such an exciting experience. Kome regaled Biola with details of her meeting with Paul. She could hardly hide her glee at having a relationship with Paul.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by heemah(f): 9:38am On Feb 11, 2017
Foolish girl with a fish brain..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grace by oyinda1242(f): 10:38am On Feb 11, 2017
what happened to kome's head....just like dat! nawa o...doesn't she think

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 9:35pm On Feb 11, 2017
Kome! Just like that! Am highly disappointed in you

4 Likes

Re: Grace by zika19(f): 10:05pm On Feb 11, 2017
the adage once bitten twice shy doesn't really work for everyone. thumbs up.ur story is interesting.

4 Likes

Re: Grace by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2017
I think it doesn't work just two or three months after giving birth, definitely.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:39am On Feb 12, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
I think it doesn't work just two or three months after giving birth, definitely.
You might not agree but such things like this can happen. Sometimes we seek comfort from those things that may be deemed stupid.
Re: Grace by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 9:03am On Feb 12, 2017
Akposb:

You might not agree but such things like this can happen. Sometimes we seek comfort from those things that may be deemed stupid.
That's not it. Wouldn't her choot still be too fresh and delicate, even still having injuries?
Re: Grace by Hundreddegrees(m): 9:07am On Feb 12, 2017
Following
Re: Grace by Seunfunmi18(m): 9:59am On Feb 12, 2017
Kome

She ought to not give in so cheaply
Re: Grace by IykeChukz(m): 4:03pm On Feb 12, 2017
Please continue. You are good at this...

I want to see to the end please.
Re: Grace by IykeChukz(m): 5:27pm On Feb 12, 2017
Following...
Re: Grace by Blessytee(f): 12:02am On Feb 13, 2017
*ghost mode deactivated*
Re: Grace by heemah(f): 6:54am On Feb 13, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

That's not it. Wouldn't her choot still be too fresh and delicate, even still having injuries?
How u take know?? grin grin
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:05am On Feb 13, 2017
Service year went on without much of a fanfare. Her duties at the bank kept increasing as time went on. It was a reward for her wonderful job as the manager told her. She thought of Paul in her spare time. They were indeed a true representation of the promise the scheme held for the country. Time went on without as much as a backward glance. Kome would not be able to have a repeat visit as it suddenly became impossible for her to visit due to some unwelcome circumstances.

They would eventually meet on the day of passing out. It was September 4th, 2000. The camp was in boisterous mood. Much chattering rented the air as friends who had long seen each other came together to fill in with details of their work and community experience. The parade ground was the site of these meetings as the corps members waited for the arrival of the governor. The commissioner for youth came instead and gave the closing speech, giving sumptuous praise to the batch as they had done well. Once the parade was over, everyone rushed to get their certificate. The venue was rowdy even as the officials struggled to bring order to the gathering. Kome had Biola as company all day while she strained to get Paul out of the crowd. She had successfully taken her certificate and was looking at it when she felt the presence of a male colleague. She turned to see Paul with hands wide open, she embraced him in happily.

‘’ I have been looking for you’’ she said.

‘’ I was at the other line and I saw you in front. How are you?’ he asked.

‘’ I am fine’’ she replied excitedly.

‘’ Congratulations’’ he said.

‘’ Same to you’’ she replied’ I’d like you to attend a party we have organized to celebrate this achievement’’

‘’ I can’t, I need to go home as soon as possible. I got some issues to catch up with’’ he said with a bland look.

‘’ So, you are just going to leave like that. Okay, but why don’t you give me your house or postal address?’ she asked.

‘’ What for?’ he asked.

It was a reply that revealed the coldness that had clouded his face while they stood in the blazing sun.

‘’ Come on, this may just be the last time we might meet. How do we keep in touch?’ she asked.

‘’ There is no need for that. I think its best we forget what we have had in the past’’

He pushed her lightly and left without offering any other word to douse the pain his statement had left on Kome. Kome stood watching his back as he edged forward. It was a sad way to cut their short but exciting relationship. If this was what Kome felt, it would have been better. Her heart was shattered, she had poured more of her heart into the relationship than she had thought. This would make her slip into depression in subsequent days.

Kome would have remained in Ife if she was interested in working with Oceanic bank. Instead, she left with the manager’s approval and a recommendation letter from his office. She was bent on working in Warri, one of her dream places. It was a complete opposite to the kind of life people led in Oleh, her hometown. She had decided on a line of action that would ensure she get a job as soon as possible. She had only had one correspondence with Rachael in the service year and she was eager to see her.

Kome travelled to Warri a week after she had left the Nysc scheme. She arrived at her aunty’s place on Okumagba Avenue on a hot Friday afternoon. She knocked and the door was opened by Michael.

‘’ Good afternoon aunty’’ Michael greeted.

She smiled and replied his greeting. She had three bags with her. Michael took one while she carried two. Michael informed her that her aunty was not in but her daughters were at home. She had not met them until that moment and she was a little bit uneasy. She sat down in the quiet and hot sitting-room. She would have loved to go in to rest but Michael’s revelation had caused her to remain rooted to the spot. After about thirty minutes, a young lady, tall, beautiful and regal in her bearing walked into the sitting room. She wore a loose gown that was just above her knees.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ Kome greeted.

‘’ Good afternoon, are you the cousin Michael talked about?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, mummy travelled but will be back today. My name is Ese’’ she said.

‘’ I am Kome’’ she replied.

‘’ Are those your bags?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes’’

She walked forward and took one of them and urged Kome to follow her. Kome carried her two remaining bags and followed her past the door of the sitting room. She took Kome to the guest room. Kome recognized the room immediately she entered, it was where she had stayed during her last visit. She had not sat for long when she saw a younger lady enter. She was of average height, bearing a striking resemblance to Ese and walked slowly.

‘’ My name is Fegor, I was told you are a cousin’’ she said hurriedly.

‘’ Yes, I am Kome’’ she said.

‘’ How come I haven’t met you’’

Kome felt welcome in her presence as she could see genuine excitement in her big bright eyes.

‘’ I was here last year and your mom told me you were in school. My mother is your mother’s sister’’ she said.

‘’ Yes, Aunt Beatrice’’

She felt the strain in Fegor’s voice. It was her little way of agonizing over a death that had happened so long in time.

‘’ So what course are you studying?’ Kome asked.

‘’ English’’ she replied curtly and added’’ why don’t you come to our room’’

Kome smiled in a bid to express her uneasiness but Fegor drew her up from the bed. She took her to their room which was the close to the guest room. Ese was sitting on the bed while reading a book when they entered. Kome took a quick survey of the room before she sat down on the chair in the room. The room had only the essentials such as a wardrobe by the wall, a family sized bed which the sisters share and a table and chair that was almost close by.

Fegor did not waste time in bringing up a topic to discuss and they hit off from there. This was the beginning of an alliance with the two daughters of her mother’s sister. Ese and Fegor made a pretty pair of sisters as they complemented each other though Ese was the eldest. Ese is a medical student at the state university. They chatted until the return of the hostess, Kome’s aunty. She was happy to see Kome and she chided her for not sending any message since they last saw each other. Kome was happy to have such a family hence she settled easily.

Unfortunately, the girls were gone after a week as a result of the beginning of a new academic session. Kome had begun to search for a job at this time. With the help of her uncle, Mr Aghogho, she applied for the position of a business intern at the Shell multinational oil company. After a successful interview she clinched the position and such was the start of a successful professional life.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 9:11am On Feb 13, 2017
heemah:
How u take know?? grin grin
grin grin grin Sometimes, I just happen to know things.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
Glitters and Rust

Kome earned her rewards at the Shell Oil Company due to her enterprising effort and this ensured that she rose through the ranks rapidly as the years rolled on. She was rich hence could afford much of her wants. She paid regular visits to her father and also ensured that he was well taken care of. Despite this, she nursed a broken heart as a result of her ill-luck at past romantic relationships. This proved to be the only need she could not solve. She got admirers here and there but was unwilling as her trust in men had eroded. She had hope instead of faith and this kept her going. Kome would gradually become a high society lady as she frequented birthday parties and all other social gatherings. She also travelled to other fun spots in the world on vacations and also on official duties.

In as much as she had these numerous distractions, the hollow year in Benin still kept on plaguing her mind. She knew she had some issues to take care of but she was reluctant to confront them. She tried as much to console herself that all was in the past but the lonelier she became, the more she craved the companionship of friends. Rachael was not far off as she lived in the city with her husband. Also her cousins, Efe and Fegor became a constant in her life. The thought of her short but significant meeting with Nurse Bose became a major area of concern. She felt she had not treated the lady’s open expression of friendship well even though she feared she could eventually become an unbearable burden for her. The thought of her daughter was the major sore point in her life. She missed her even though they had just a few months together and the thought of taking her back gradually grew into an obsession. While she flourished at her job, her inner feelings were threatening to make her private life messy. Kome trudged on through life as the years went by. She gradually grew a thick skin as time went on and life’s goodies became readily available.
In her resolve to keep her life under cover, she would eventually confront the past in a rather awkward way. It was exactly seven years into her job at Shell when she met Franca, Bose’s daughter. At this time, she was an assistant manager at the Warri office of the multinational company. The company had recently contracted a laboratory to carry out environmental assessment of the result of its drilling activities in the riverine communities of Warri.

The group was led by Lucas, a formidable chemist with extensive experience in the study of ecology. He was in his early forties and his company, Fortis globe had carried out the research over a period of two months. He had in his company three others, two males and a female. The meeting was held in the board room and the presentation began in earnest. The lady must have done a quick survey of the room when she saw Kome. She quickly recognized her and this made her to keep her gaze on Kome as the presentation went on. Kome would not discover this intrusion until mid-way through the presentation. She suddenly became confused as she had difficulty in recognizing the dark oval shaped face staring like her.

Once the presentation was over, the chairman promised that there would an instant response to the report and they would ensure to clean the environment of the recent spillage that happened there. After some little discussion the chairman ended the meeting and left the room. Kome was leaving the board room when she saw the lady coming towards her. She took in a breath and prepared for whatever that would be thrown at her.

‘’ Good morning ma’’ the lady greeted.

‘’ Good morning’’ she replied.

‘’ I am sorry for staring at you but I think I know you’’ she said.

Kome heaved a sigh of relief but did reply.

‘’ Are you not Kome?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes, I am’’ she replied.

‘’ Good, may be you don’t recognize me but I do recognize you. I am Franca, nurse Bose’s daughter’’ she said.

Kome suddenly felt anxious as she struggled to repress her shame at being discovered.

‘’ Oh, I am sorry. How are you?’ she asked.

‘’ I am fine’’ Franca replied.

‘’ How is your mother?’ Kome asked.

‘’ She is fine’’ she replied.

Just at that moment, Franca was called by one of the men she had come along with.

‘’ Ma, I have to go but my mother will like to see you’’ she said hurriedly.

‘’ Here, have my card’’

Kome gave her a card bearing her phone number. Franca received it gladly and waved as she hurried off. Kome could hardly believe the rapid exchange that had just taken place. She felt like her defense had been breached as she walked back to her office.

On a quiet evening in her posh two bedroom flat, Kome received a call from an unknown number. She was skeptical about the caller identity but she went on to pick it.

‘’ Hello’’ she said.

‘’ Hello, Kome’’ a quiet and soft voice said.

It was unmistakable, she knew it was Nurse Bose.

‘’ Good evening ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good evening my dear’’ a short pause ‘’ How are you’’

‘’ I am fine’’ she replied.

‘’ My daughter gave me your number’’ she said.

‘’ Okay’’ Kome replied.

‘’ So what has happened to you since you left?’ she asked.

Kome could barely provide any answers as she struggled to fan away her guilt.

‘’ Ma, I am sorry for leaving the way I did. Can I come and see you?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes, I still live at the same place but may move out as soon as I am retired’’

‘’ Okay, I hope to see you soon’’ Kome said.

She was breathing rather fast and felt happy as Bose’s voice went quiet on her phone. She dropped her phone on the bed and rested her head on a pillow. She reckoned that the past was not far away, it was lying down waiting for a moment to spring on her.

4 Likes

Re: Grace by Evans407(m): 9:04pm On Feb 13, 2017
Nice piece of art sir. You are truly good. I've been following you since 'Day One', but then, won't you finish this story up??
You keep on posting short episodes, and with a frequency, am sure you have the story somewhere already written up. Am not saying you shouldnt cut your story into episodes but baba, they are too short. Instead, make them long, atleast let some maximum satisfaction be derived. Thanks.
Re: Grace by Lolsd: 10:48pm On Feb 13, 2017
wow !!!!! another best selling novel

1 Like

Re: Grace by chuks34(m): 11:00pm On Feb 13, 2017
Wat an interesting story we have here. Keep up the good work op.

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:26am On Feb 14, 2017
Evans407:
Nice piece of art sir. You are truly good. I've been following you since 'Day One', but then, won't you finish this story up??
You keep on posting short episodes, and with a frequency, am sure you have the story somewhere already written up. Am not saying you shouldnt cut your story into episodes but baba, they are too short. Instead, make them long, atleast let some maximum satisfaction be derived. Thanks.
Alright bro, thanks for following. I will try to heed your advice.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:44am On Feb 14, 2017
Kome decided to visit Bose two weeks into a month leave from Shell. She had contacted her and Bose had urged her to prepare to pack some extra clothes as she would want her to stay beyond a day. Kome had acquiesced. She drove to Benin and arrived just before the close of work. Bose had instructed her to drive straight to the house and wait. She arrived just before 5:00pm and waited in her car. The environment was still in good shape but the years had rubbed it of its flourish. She suddenly recognized the fact that she had not been here since a decade. She engaged her memories and smiled at those moments she had spent there.
Bose car drove into the garage at this time. Kome got down from hers and walked to where she had parked her car. Bose alighted and closed the door. Kome examined her from the little distance that separated them. She had grown with age though she was looking radiant, little specks of grey eye were visible at the undergrowth of her long hair. She was looking healthy but had become slow in movement.

‘’ Good evening ma’’ Kome greeted.

‘’ Good evening, how are you?’ she asked.
‘’ Fine ma’’ she replied.

Kome followed behind with a small bag containing her clothes and other needed materials. Bose opened the door and they walked in. The sitting room was dark and hot. She joined Bose as they hung the curtains and opened the sliding glasses. The little moment of silence was quite suffocating for Kome. She respected Bose as much as she would respect her mother and this made her dread her unspoken words.

‘’ What should I offer you?’ she asked.

‘’ Ma…’’ she stammered.

‘’ What do you want to take to ease the travel stress?” she asked.

‘’ Water will do’’ she said.

Bose left for the kitchen and returned soon after with a can of water and a tumbler. Kome took the items, poured water into the tumbler and drank from it. Bose left the sitting room at this point.

‘’ Come let me show you to your room’’ Bose said on her return.

The room was beside Bose’s and Kome reckoned that it must be the girls’ room. The door looked quiet and shorn of any form of human activity. It must have been locked for a while. She didn’t give thought to where the other had gone to as she felt Franca must have moved out.

‘’ Please excuse me, I have to prepare something in the kitchen. Just relax’’ Bose said.

She departed and Kome took a second look at the room. She climbed on the family sized bed and relaxed into its cold touch. She slept a little before she heard her phone beep. She checked it and found out that it was a text message. She stood up, took her clothes off and changed into a handless top and a short. She went to the kitchen and found Bose stirring a pot of soup.
‘’ Oh, you are up’’ she said.

‘’ Yes ma’’

‘’ I am almost done, just wait in the sitting room’’

Kome left immediately. A form of suspense kept on troubling her mind. She knew Bose had so much to tell her. She did not wait for long as Bose came into the sitting-room after ten minutes.

‘’ I prepared Eba and soup, I hope you will like it?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes ma’’ she grinned.

The table was set and they ate from their individual plates. Bose had prepared Egusi soup mixed with fish and meat. The meal was as sweet as the aroma that hung on the air. Kome totally enjoyed the meal. Once they were done, Bose brought a rechargeable lamp and placed it on the table in the sitting-room.

‘’ It is just unfortunate that there is no light, and the generator is bad. We will have to make use of this’’

‘’ Okay ma’’

‘’ I must say you are looking beautiful’’ Bose said with a slight smile.

‘’ Oh…thank you ma’’

‘’ So what has happened so far, I only know about my daughter meeting you at your place of work’’

‘’ That’s right ma’’ she replied ‘’ I know you must be angry at my way of leaving and the fact that I kept away all these years’’

‘’ Sure, I know you made some legitimate points in your letter but what happened after your youth service?’ Bose asked.

‘’ Ma, I feared becoming a burden to you’’

‘’ That is what you must have thought then but now, you are working in a good company’’

Kome felt uncomfortable with the direction the discussion was heading.

‘’ How about your baby?’

The question sounded more like an accusation rather than an enquiry.

‘’ There isn’t much to say in that respect’’

Kome replied with her head bowed.
Bose was sitting just across and she felt her haunting looks.

‘’ I understand it was not easy for you to carry the burden alone that was why I tried to support you. You shouldn’t be ashamed of your past actions though I know you must have learnt some lessons’’

‘’ Yes ma’’ she nodded.

‘’ So how is little Grace doing?’

Bose was persistent and Kome felt insecure and worried.

‘’ I gave her away’’ she said.

‘’ Kome, that was bad’’ Bose chided.

‘’ I had nowhere to go and she was becoming a burden’’ she was at the point of tears.

She felt bitter as she remembered the thoughts that made her take the decision. The memories of the heartbreak she had suffered at the hands of Eric and Paul came back in a flash. She realized her professional success had done little to shield her from the effect of her past mistakes.

‘’ I understand it must have been difficult. I thought I had done enough to earn your trust’’ Bose said in a comforting tone.

‘’ It is okay ma’’ she cleaned the tears that had appeared at the corner of her eyes.

‘’ Now you are doing well professionally, what are your thoughts then or is there anything you are hiding?’ Bose asked.

‘’ No ma, nothing’’ she replied.

Bose relaxed a little and allowed some moment of silence. Kome breathed a sigh of relief and felt like a burden had been lifted off her.

‘’ Let’s pray, I think it is time we rested for the day’’ Bose said after a while.

Bose led the prayers as Kome mumbled replies. Once they were done, Bose quickly drew her into a hug.

‘’ I am happy to see you. Thanks for honouring my invitation’’ she said.

Kome could barely say anything in reply but she felt rejuvenated. Kome had a long night of contemplation. She slept early the next morning as she battled with the nagging feeling of betrayal that had defined her past relationships. Her discussion with Bose bore close similarities between a mother and a daughter. While she had difficulty keeping up with her questions, she realized the fact that she had been operating on a thin layer of security. She had not yet resolved those haunting issues of the past. The next morning she was woken up by nurse Bose around 6:00am. Bose asked her to lead the prayers and this she did with some little struggle.

‘’ Ma, I gave my baby away to an orphanage in this city’’ she said after they had finished praying.

‘’ What is the name of the orphanage?’ Bose asked.

‘’ Mother Theresa home’’ she replied.

‘’ That is a well-known orphanage. It is not far from the hospital, will you want to go there?’ she asked.

Kome could scarcely believe the request as she looked at Bose in shock. Bose got the message but this did not deter her.

‘’ You should think about it’’

Bose stood up and left the sitting-room. An hour after, Bose was set to leave for work. She had dressed up in her immaculate matron uniform. Kome had helped to fry egg and make beverage for breakfast. Once Bose had eaten, she stood up to leave.

‘’ I will be free sometime in the afternoon. I am expecting your call’’

‘’ Okay ma’’

She left and Kome remained seated for a while. Though, she had always thought of the possibility of seeing her daughter but at the moment, it looked too soon. The thought of possible rejection remained an ever reoccurring thought in her mind as she struggled to keep her thoughts at bay all through the morning. Afternoon came sooner to her relief and she placed a call to Bose just past 1:00pm.

‘’ How are you?’ Bose asked.

‘’ I am fine ma’’ she replied.

‘’ So what have you decided?’

‘’ Ma, it’s a difficult proposition. How do I face her?’

‘’ It isn’t as difficult as your fears, whereas visitors do go in from time to time. We are just going to pay her a visit’’

‘’ Okay ma, I will be on my way to the hospital’’

Kome felt relieved as she weighed the wisdom in Bose’s last statement. She hit the road obviously free from the gloom that have assailed her mind of recent.
Bose was out in the car park waiting for Kome when she drove in. She waved at her to stay in the car while she walked to meet her. She took the front passenger seat and asked Kome to drive to the orphanage. Kome had lost track of the way and Bose helped to describe the way for her. The gate of the orphanage was opened immediately Kome horned and they drove into the compound of the Mother Theresa home for children. Aside from the one story building that was sited at the right, the compound had a small garden whose green grass sparkled under the blazing sun.
They were received at the front of the building by a lady. The lady was quite young and spoke slowly.

‘’ Good afternoon ma’’ she greeted Bose.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ Bose replied.

‘’ Are you first time visitors?’ she asked.

‘’ No, I have been here before but for this lady, it’s her first time’’ Bose replied.

‘’ You are welcome ma’’ the lady greeted as she shook Kome.

‘’ We will like to see the kids’’ Bose said.

‘’ They are having lunch. Why don’t you come in and meet the mother in charge’’ the lady said.

She led the way inside the house. The lobby was quite big and the office of the mother was just around the corner of the entry point. The lady knocked on the door and she opened at the command of a bold feminine voice. She was gone for a little more than a minute before she led Bose and Kome into the office. The office was fairly large. The mother was seated facing the door, an average sized table that had files and books on it were facing the door. The mother had an average height, wearing her white nun uniform regally and with a look that showed wisdom and age.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ she greeted cheerfully.

‘’ Good afternoon ma’’ Bose and Kome greeted.

The mother was standing by this time.

‘’ It is a great pleasure to have you visit us today. It is not often we get what I may describe as a lone visit’’ she smiled at the end ‘’ my name is Bridget’’

‘’ I am Bose, a nurse from the central hospital’’ Bose said.

‘’ I am Kome’’

‘’ Okay good to meet you, have your seat’’

They sat on the two chairs facing the mother’s table.

‘’ Little have been said about your visit but I am not I a haste to know though’’

‘’ Okay, I am my friend here desire to know about this place. We just want to see the kids in your care’’ Bose said.

‘’ Okay, that is not a difficult request. I may just give you an opportunity to address them before they go to their rooms for siesta’’

‘’ That is a good idea’’ Bose said.

Kome was not open to the idea but there was little she could do to retract Bose’s acquiescence.

‘’ Please excuse me then’’

Bridget left the office for some few minutes.
‘’ I am not comfortable with the idea of addressing the kids’’ Kome said.

‘’ I know you won’t, I will be the one to do it’’ Bose said.

Bridget returned soon after and asked them to follow her. They climbed the stairs and walked into the first room in the first floor. The room was almost devoid of noise except for the cries of babies. They were welcomed and confronted by the eyes of children whose ages could range from as low of three to eighteen years.

‘’ Good afternoon children, we have some friends who have come to visit’’ Bridget announced.

A cheerful noise followed the announcement. Bridget turned to smile at Bose who was standing beside her. Bose took the cue immediately.

‘’ I am Bose and this is my friend Kome’’ she said.

Kome waved and smiled in reply.

‘’ I and my friend have decided to come and see how you are faring…’’

Bose would continue with her speech while Kome took to looking from one kid to another. She somehow believed that she would recognize her daughter among them. She searched in vain for a form of resemblance among the girls. She must have been lost in this when Bose touched her lightly.

‘’ I am done’’

Kome looked at her in disappointment. Bose understood but she turned away immediately. Kome followed behind and they walked downstairs. Bridget led them into her office immediately they got downstairs.

‘’ Ma, I must appreciate you and your friend for coming’’ Bridget said with a smile.

‘’ Thank you for giving us the opportunity’’ Bose said and added ‘’ no need to delay, I think we should leave now’’

‘’ Okay’’

Bridget stood up and shook their hands. She led them out of the office and just then, a little girl walked in. She was dark and her hair was weaved. She was dressed in her school uniform, a pink gown.

‘’ Grace’’ Bridget called.

‘’ Good afternoon ma’’ a soft and light voice.

‘’ What happened?’ Bridget asked.

‘’ Ma, the games master asked us to wait in preparation for the interschool sports meet’’ she said.

‘’ These are visitors from town’’ Bridget said as she introduced them.

‘’ Good afternoon ma’’ she greeted turning to Bose and Kome.

The face appeared clearly to Kome. She had a thin face, pointed noise and thin lips. She was beautiful despite the sweat that had darkened her face. She left immediately.

‘’ So you can see that our responsibility to these kids is a huge task’’ Bridget said.

They were walking out of the building. Bridget followed them to the car park.

‘’ I really appreciate you people for coming’’ Bridget said.

‘’ Thank you ma for hosting us’’ Bose replied.

‘’ So Kome, what do you do?’ Bridget asked.

‘’ I am the assistant business manager at Shell’’ Kome said.

‘’ That is good’’ Bridget said.

‘’ Ma, can I have your number?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Sure’’

Bridget called out the number as Kome dialed it on her phone.

‘’ Please, manage this token’’

Bose took the woman’s hand and placed some money into it.

‘’ I appreciate you on behalf of this children’’ Bridget replied.

Kome had taken the driver’s seat while Bose took the front passenger’s seat. Bridget watched as they drove out of the compound. They were silent for a while as they drove through the quiet street that led to the orphanage.

‘’ Thank you ma’’ Kome said.

‘’ You are welcome. So how are you feeling?’ Bose asked.

‘’ Good…I think Grace is my child’’ Kome said.

‘’ Okay’’

‘’ I don’t just know how I am going to do this’’ Kome said weakly.

Bose rubbed lightly on her shoulder as a means to ease her anxiety.

‘’ You don’t have to worry, time will help’’

They relapsed into silence as they drove through the busy traffic. They arrived at the hospital two hours after they had left and Bose urged Kome to go home. She walked into the hospital while Kome drove out of the compound. Kome could not keep the thoughts of little Grace away as she drove towards the home of Bose. She felt a bit elated though to find her daughter in good condition and also the fact that she was growing up in a nice environment. She however felt ungrateful as she had barely contributed to the well-being of the child beyond the three months she spent with her after conception. Thoughts in this vein would keep springing up on her as she strolled round the large estate where Bose’s house is located. She enjoyed watching the kids who were outdoors playing one game or the other. She also met some adults especially couples who were either taking a stroll or going out. She would cherish this visit in years to come as it gave her a direction that would release her from the limited space she was operating in.
She returned home from her stroll and found Bose’s car parked beside hers in the park. She walked to the door and opened it. A soft gospel music was playing from the television in the sitting-room and she saw Bose seated examining some papers on the center table.

‘’ Good evening ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Kome, where have you been?’ Bose asked with a tone of concern.

‘’ I decided to take a stroll’’ Kome replied.

‘’ That is good, so how are you feeling?’

‘’ I am fine. I guess I am happy to have seen my daughter’’

‘’ I knew it was no harm going to see your daughter’’

‘’ Ma, I will be leaving tomorrow’’

‘’ Okay…sit let’s talk since you will be leaving’’

She sat down facing Bose who was sitting on the couch.

‘’ I hope you are enjoying your job?’ Bose asked with a smile.

‘’ Yes, it is a good job though it can be restrictive sometimes’’ Kome replied.

‘’ Why don’t you tell me more’’

They talked so long into the night except for a brief interruption to prepare the evening meal. Thoughts and dreams were shared and Kome was glad to receive deep insights from Bose. They went to bed before it was 11:00pm. The next morning, both were up early as they prepared for the day’s activities. Bose waited to send Kome off as they embraced heartily and shared some last wishes. Kome left Benin for the city of Warri with new ideas waiting to come to life

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Remember Me / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / My Son My Man- A Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.