Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Grace - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Grace (24490 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie, Her Father, James Nwoye Adichie & Mother Grace Ifeoma Bond / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments / Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 8:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
Respect to you all that have commented, I appreciate and promise there is more to come.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:07pm On Jan 30, 2017
Bn

3 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 6:53pm On Jan 30, 2017
cry cry i feel sad for kome in what she is passing through. Countiue brother.
Re: Grace by Evans407(m): 8:57am On Jan 31, 2017
9c one story OP... RIDE ON
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:04pm On Jan 31, 2017
She decided to take a walk from the bus stop. She had trekked for a few minutes when she discovered a wooden board placed at the junction. The board bore a bold white inscription that read: A Cashier wanted. At the top of the board was written the name of the business outfit. She reckoned that it must be a small business establishment. All the best for her as it suited her need. She located the business place almost at the mid-point of the street. It was a mid-size restaurant. She walked inside and met one of the waiters.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ the waiter replied.

‘’ I came in respect of the vacant cashier position’’ she said.

The waiter regarded her with some concern and asked her to sit.

‘’ Wait a little let me inform my boss’’ she said.

She left while Kome took the opportunity to look around the restaurant. The room was fairly large and there were people of different colours, ages, and profession seated either individually or in company. At a vantage position was placed a television which played different music records. The waiter came back after a few minutes.

‘’ Please come with me’’ she said.

Kome followed her. They walked through a door that led to a small passage. They took a left turn and walked down the passage towards a door which was located at the extreme. The waiter knocked, a male voice replied that they could enter. The waiter opened the door. Kome walked in after the waiter directed her with her hand.

‘’ Good afternoon Sir’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good afternoon’’ he replied.

The man looked at her for a while and suddenly stopped at her protruded stomach.

‘’ What do you want?’ the man asked.

It was a question that sounded almost like a lie.

‘’ Sir, I came to apply for the position that was advertised outside’’ she said.

‘’ What experience do you have?’ he asked.

‘’ I have no experience but I am a graduate of business administration’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay…are you married?’ the man asked.

She knew the importance of that question but she was only interested in telling the truth.

‘’ No’’ she replied.

‘’ I can’t employ you’’ the man said brusquely.

The man had a look of defiance but she was not going to give up as she fell on her knees.

‘’ Please Sir’’ she pleaded.

‘’ How much work can a pregnant lady do for me?’ the man asked.

‘’ I can do all that is required Sir, just give me this opportunity’’ she pleaded.

The man tried to evade her pleading eyes. He turned to write on a paper on the table. After some time, he turned to her.

‘’ My name is Desmond, ask for me when you come tomorrow. I have to think before making a decision’’ the man replied.

She left the office with mixed feelings as she was unsure or was almost sure that the man would prefer not to employ her. She trekked slowly under the sun as she was almost too weak to walk home. She knew there was little she could do under her present condition and this made her struggle to see that imaginary light at the end of the tunnel. She was indeed going through a situation she would not have thought of in the past years. She would not have given approval to protecting an unborn child conceived outside of wedlock but age must have tilted her mind towards ensuring that the child in her womb was safe from the predators. Until now, she had not thought of the sex of the child. She had no preference at this point but it suddenly occurred to her that a girl would be better considering the mixed experiences she had had with the male sex. Though she could easily subscribe to the fact that the girl child faced some difficulty in adjusting to the society, she was concerned about her immediate and future needs. She felt a female child could easily empathize with her than a male. These thoughts kept running through her mind until she got to Rachael’s house. She slept off immediately she entered the room as the strain of the day’s exertions came heavily on her.
She was woken up by the rustling of plates and pots. She rubbed her eyes before turning to see Rachael exit the room. She stood up and walked outside. Rachael was peeling a tuber of yam.

‘’ Good evening’’ Rachael greeted.

‘’ Good evening, how was your day?’ she asked.

‘’ It was good, how was yours’’ Rachael asked.

‘’ It wasn’t all good but I might get a job tomorrow’’

‘’ That will be great’’

She smiled back at the vivid expression of joy on Rachael’s face. She was happy to have her support and she was ready to reward her kind gesture with proper cooperation. She joined her as they prepared a meal of yam and vegetable. The evening was spent in each other company as they discussed various issues. One major problem would begin to rear its head at this point. It was the question of faith, Rachael stuck religiously to her Christian faith while Kome was in the process of getting rid of it. Just as they were about to retire for the night, Rachael asked her to join in having the devotion. Kome was reluctant and asked that she shouldn’t bother as she was too sick to join in. After much persuasion Rachael gave up. She would bring up the issue after she had laid on the bed.

‘’ Kome, I noticed that you no longer pay much attention to God’’ she said with her back turned towards Kome.

‘’ Why did you say so?’ Kome asked.

‘’ That is what I have seen since your arrival. What has happened?’ Rachael asked.

‘’ Rachael, you shouldn’t worry about my faith, I am happy you are still carrying on, I will come around’’ she said and yawned afterwards.

The night swallowed the unsaid words as they succumbed to the reassuring presence of sleep.

The next morning Kome woke up just before it was dawn. She was noticeably happy and expectant on this day. She joined Rachael in having the Morning Prayer, a routine she was gradually putting aside. She enjoyed the devotion and she willingly prayed when Rachael asked her to say the prayer. She prepared a meal of rice and stew as they both prepared for the day’s activity. She had managed to counter the thought of rejection since her return yesterday but it was suddenly re-surfacing even as she went about her preparation. Rachael left quite early as she had a lecture and Kome left soon after. She had made a decision to arrive at the restaurant early so as to impress the manager.

She arrived just in time to meet the last set of morning customers. She asked for the manager and was told that he had not come. She was offered a seat in the main hall and she made herself comfortable. She cast her eyes around the restaurant and was content to find out that she was not a target of any inquisitive eye. She waited for some thirty minutes before she saw the manager arrive the restaurant. A few minutes passed before she was called to the man’s office.

‘’ Good morning Sir’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good morning, how are you?’ he asked.

‘’ I am fine’’ she replied.

‘’ I have thought of your request and I have decided to give you a chance. Do you have your result here?’ he asked.

‘’ yes’’

She opened her bag and handed him a copy of her result. Desmond went through the paper and nodded in acquiescence.

‘’ Okay. You are hired’’

She smiled and thanked the man.

‘’ The position of a cashier is quite important and I hope you apply your knowledge to help this business become better. You will be paid 15000 monthly’’ he said.

‘’ Thank you very much Sir’’ she replied.

She left the office filled with joy. She was led to the small wooden cubicle that was located at the other extreme of the passage and was told her function as a cashier. She had a successful first day as she got on with the rigorous duty of counting and recording the money realized. She was also in charge of the expenditure analysis and this fund she was to release before the close of work each day. She decided to walk home as she reveled in the knowledge that mother luck has just smiled at her. She just couldn’t wait to break the news to Rachael. She felt her stomach and heaved a sigh of relief. The baby had not started moving but she was not worried about its safety. She had not been to the hospital but she was unwilling to entertain any fear as she was aware of the fact that many women had given birth without going to the hospital. She knew she would eventually go but she was prepared to bide her time in order not to incur expenses.

She got home before Rachael and went straight to prepare food for both of them. She could not resist the temptation to give her friend an over-dose of surprises. Rachael returned just before it was dark.
‘’ I had to attend a department meeting’’ she said.

‘’ It is okay, how was it?’ Kome asked.

‘’ It was fine, how was your day’’ Rachael asked.

‘’ Great… I got the job’’ she announced.

‘’ That is one good news’’ Rachael said in delight.

‘’ I also prepared a nice meal. Go on to check the pot’’ she said.

Rachael walked to where they kept the pot and stooped. She opened it and a nice smelling aroma wafted into her nose. Kome had prepared yam porridge.

‘’ This is nice’’ Rachael said.

She walked to the bed and sat beside Kome.

‘’ I am so happy for you’’ she said.

It was a night of happy chattering. Things seemed to kick on fine from that moment as Kome settled into the routine of dashing off to work in the morning while Rachael went off to school. Work was not that exciting and she developed an interest in buying novels to read at work. The pregnancy strain had a bittersweet effect on her as some days were quite strenuous while others were very much okay. Regardless, she still felt that nudge to give into depression. She had just Rachael as her only support and she could not imagine what may happen if their friendship goes downhill. Eric was a closed chapter already as she felt demeaned by his father’s reaction. Her father was almost assuming a peripheral role even though she knew she could not remain separated from him for long. She was content to bide her time as she knew only once she was delivered of the baby would she have the confidence to address the recent past.

6 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 11:08pm On Jan 31, 2017
abeg waiter !!!!!!!!!!! two plate of hot jollof rice for AkposB

2 Likes

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:56pm On Feb 01, 2017
The day the baby kicked was one of the happiest day of her life. She was woken up in the middle of the night by a small nudge she felt inside of her. She patted her stomach lovingly and then turned to smile at Rachael. She was sleeping soundly. Then it dawned on her that she could have been sharing this feeling with her husband. Instead, she had got the baby from a scared boy struggling to take responsibility. She relapsed into a bittersweet realization that the baby would soon be born. From that moment, her health became much more difficult to manage. Her worse fear was confirmed when it started affecting her work life.

She tried her best to work into the later stages of her third trimester but she was struggling to maintain concentration in the work place. Rachael did her best to assist her though she was quite busy with her final year project. She managed to work until a month towards conception when she had a major collapse. It had been a tiring day for her, a combination of her fragile health and the duty she had to perform in the office. She was going to the rest-room when she fainted in the passage. She was lucky as some other members of staff were around who rushed and took her outside. She was resuscitated and had to spend some time outside the restaurant. After some time, she was called to go and see the manager. She sauntered down to the office of the man. The size of her protruded stomach was all the evidence needed that she was far gone in her term. She knocked on the door and opened immediately. The manager was writing on a paper and he directed her to sit on a chair.

‘’ How are you?’ he asked after a while.

‘’ I am fine’’ she answered in a strained voice.

The manager could see that she was not fine. She needed rest instead of work.

‘’ I think it is almost time for you to have your baby’’ he said.

She was surprised by the statement from the man but she nodded to confirm his suspicion.

‘’ Don’t be surprised that I know you are going to have your baby soon, I am a father also’’ he said.

An uncomfortable silence fell upon the office as he looked at Kome. She was looking too fragile and had grown bigger as a result of her pregnancy.

‘’ I want you to stop work. I don’t think you can continue in your present condition’’ Desmond said.

She stared back at him in shock but there was little she could do.

‘’ I understand your fears but I feel this must be done for the sake of your health and the baby’’ he said.

She still kept mute while her stare remained on the manager.

‘’ What do you have to say?’ the manager asked.

‘’ Sir, I appreciate your assistance in these few months I have worked with you’’

‘’ I do appreciate your effort and I will be willing to help you anytime you need our help’’ Desmond said in a conclusive tone.

She heaved herself up from the seat and walked slowly towards the door. It was bound to happen at some point in time but she had not imagine that it would happen so soon. She did not wait till the close of work before she left the restaurant. She struggled through the scorching heat from the sun while she walked home. She had much to worry about but she feared the effect it was having on her. Money appeared at the top of her major worries. She had saved some part of her salary for the past four months and this she was sure would be enough to ensure she survived the early post-conception period.

It was a long month. She became critically ill at this point and took to lying on the bed most of the time. She could feel the movement of the baby and she began to experience that feeling of motherhood. Rachael did her best to assist her even though her final examination would start soon.

Please comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

4 Likes

Re: Grace by zika19(f): 5:02pm On Feb 01, 2017
Hmmmm. quite captivating. reminds one of d pains and joy associated with pregnancy. but one out of wedlock from d look of it would require more. more grace
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 8:18pm On Feb 01, 2017
zika19:
Hmmmm. quite captivating. reminds one of d pains and joy associated with pregnancy. but one out of wedlock from d look of it would require more. more grace
Nice comment.
Re: Grace by Domance: 8:22pm On Feb 01, 2017
Nice one bro, I'm enjoying ur story no doubt. More grace

2 Likes

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 4:22pm On Feb 02, 2017
Her struggles continued until the thirty fifth week. She had an attack at this time. She fainted while she was discussing with Rachael. Rachael tried to revive her but she did not respond. Rachael ran out in fear and screamed for help. Some of her lodge mates came out and joined her and they took her to the hospital in a taxi. The nurses responded quickly to the frenzied shout of Rachael as they quickly took Kome to a bed for her to rest. Once Kome had been admitted, Rachael sat in the reception area obviously tired. It had been a hard few months and the day’s trouble had been the high point. She had shelved some of her engagement just to help Kome. Though she had no regret helping her, it had been a difficult few months since Kome came around. She waited a while before going to the ward for pregnant ladies. Kome was sleeping soundly with a nurse standing close by.

‘’ Good day ma’’ Rachael said.

‘’ Hello’’ the nurse replied.

The nurse was quite elderly and Rachael could guess that she was approaching fifty.

‘’ Can I leave now?’ Rachael asked.

‘’ Are you her friend?’ she asked with a hand stretched towards Kome.

‘’ Yes ma’’ she replied.

‘’ All right, it is a pity that she had to wait till this moment before she was brought to the hospital. How about her parents?’ the nurse asked.

‘’ Ma, I don’t know much about her parents’’ Rachael replied.

The woman sighed and shook her head at Kome. She was lying on her left side sleeping soundly.

‘’ Such a young girl. All right, you can go for now’’ the nurse said.

Rachael left as soon as she was told. She could not wait to rest from the anxiety she had suffered from an hour ago. It would have been a disaster to lose Kome especially after this few months together. The expected baby could safely be said to have two mothers as Rachael had tended to the baby by assisting her mother.

At the hospital, nurse Bose kept watch over Kome. She had a look of pity on her face as she watched the tiresome pretty young lady breath quietly in her sleep. Her expanded stomach hung stoically in her front. She was not far from delivery. Nurse Bose has not had a patient as young as her of recent. Though young married ladies do come in to give birth, the fact that Kome was single marked the difference between her and the rest of her ilk. She would love to ask her questions as she had found out about her lone state. From her experience, she knew it was a dangerous thing to lead a lonely life once one is pregnant. This thought would occupy her mind until Kome woke up just before her working period elapsed. Bose was taking a walk around the ward for the final time when she saw Kome open her eyes. She was looking weary and weak.

‘’ How are you dear?’ Bose asked.

‘’ I am feeling okay’’ Kome drawled.

‘’ Do you know you are almost due for delivery?’ Bose asked.

‘’ Yes ma’’ she replied.

‘’ Have you been attending ante-natal sessions?’

‘’ No ma’’

Nurse Bose shook her head. It was a situation which could not be explained in that moment.

‘’ Rest girl, I will get back to you’’

She patted Kome on her head and walked out of the ward. Kome looked at the white walls of the hospital and a cold feeling came upon her. She felt relaxed despite the fact that she was feeling lonely. The dark was fast approaching and she had little to do. She yawned and hunger caused her stomach to grumble. She had eaten only breakfast before the incident that brought her to the hospital bed. She was struggling to put her thoughts together when a female attendant walked in.

‘’ Excuse me’’ she called.

The attendant came to her side.

‘’ Good evening, what can I do for you?’ the lady asked.

‘’ I am hungry…I need to eat something’’ Kome replied.

‘’ Okay, but how do I get food for you?’ the lady had a questioning look on her face.

Suddenly it occurred to Kome that the hospital had no feeding policy.

‘’ Please I am sorry, my friend will visit soon, may be you could help me get something. I will pay back once she visits’’ she pleaded.

‘’ Okay. I will be back soon’’

The attendant left her side and was gone for some minutes. She returned with a black polythene bag. She opened the bag and placed a pack of food on the table beside Kome’s bed. She also bought some oranges.

‘’ You can have all of these for now’’ she said.

She left immediately while Kome stood up to eat her meal. The pack contained rice, fried plantain and a huge chunk of meat. She ate the meal with relish and slowly felt strength return to her body. She sucked on the oranges after she was done with the meal. Her mind was firmly on her satisfaction when a doctor came by.

‘’ Hello’’ the man said.

‘’ Good evening Sir’’ she greeted.

She was about to stand up but the man urged her to remain seated.

‘’ Are you the lady that was brought in today?’ he asked.

‘’ Yes’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, I wonder why you haven’t bother to visit this hospital or any other considering that this is your first’’ the doctor began.

She dropped her head suddenly overcome by guilt. She had no answer but it was all too obvious. She was indeed looking helpless and weak.

‘’ I have no money’’ she said.

The doctor’s countenance suddenly changed to one of pity.

‘’ Okay but you were supposed to have at least reached out to us. It is dangerous to take care of a pregnancy alone especially for a young girl like you. Any way we have discovered that you and your baby are in good condition but you will need to stay here to ensure that you give birth without any complications’’

She listened with rapt attention and once the doctor was done, he patted her on her shoulder and left. Her baby have almost completed its stint in her womb but she was worried still. A week-long stay in the hospital was going to amount to something bigger than what she could afford. She laid back on the bed as she thought of means to solve her imminent financial challenges. Her mind was becoming uneasy even as the birth of the baby drew closer. She still hoped in the inner recesses of her mind that the baby would amount to something bigger than the challenges that she has faced since its conception. Eric was obviously not going to be a part of her baby’s life.

‘’Her baby was going to be a bastard’’

3 Likes

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 4:54pm On Feb 03, 2017
She woke up with a startle. Her feet twitched and suddenly she couldn’t reconcile the hollow room she was in with the house she was used to. The hospital room was dark with the security light glimmering in the room. She slowly came to the realization of the environment she was in. The thoughts that ran through her mind had almost subjected her to a state of depression but the lapse into the world of dreams had been refreshing enough. She turned to her other side as her hand subconsciously rubbed on her stomach. It was a pacifying calm to the kicks that she felt inside of her. She had little to do other than to hope that life would become better once she was successfully delivered of the baby. She had no inclination of the sex yet but she felt it was going to be a girl which would be perfect. In this fleeting moment of bliss, she slept off once again.

She woke up with a smile on her face the next morning. The ward was cool as a refreshing cool breeze whistled around the environment. She was still lying down when the nurse came around. She recognized her immediately.

‘’ Good morning ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good morning, how are you?’ Bose asked.

‘’ I am feeling okay ma’’ she replied.

Bose lingered a bit before she left. Kome knew that eventually she would have to talk to this woman. The nurse was interested in her case and she felt there would be no harm telling her about the situation she was in. A little while after and Rachael entered the room. It was a pleasant surprise and this made her rise from the bed.

‘’ I am so happy to see you here this early’’ she confessed excitedly.

‘’ Good morning, how are you?’ Rachael asked cheerily.

‘’ I am very fine. I hope you didn’t miss me?’

‘’ Yes, it is been long I slept alone in the room’’

She opened her bag and gave Kome a polythene bag.

‘’ I brought your brush and toothpaste’’ she said.

Kome acknowledged her kind gesture with a smile. Her mind was indeed a well spring of appreciation. Rachael had done so much for her and she was grateful.

‘’ Please, are you with any money?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes, just a little’’ Rachael replied.

‘’ I owe an attendant some money and I promised that I will pay her as soon as I get a visitor’’

Rachael checked her bag and brought out three hundred naira.

‘’ That is all I have besides my fare’’ she said.

Kome made a mental calculation and decided that she would be needing more than that.

‘’ I need a favour. I was told that I would need to stay here till I give birth. Can you help me to get some money from my bag’’

‘’ Sure’’ Rachael said.

She smiled and took Rachael’s hand into hers and gave it a light squeeze.

‘’ I really appreciate all you have done for me’’

‘’ Don’t mention, you are like a sister to me and this I have done is what I should encourage others to do’’

The words were soothing to hear. Kome was feeling tired but with a supportive friend like Rachael by her side, she was energized and this made her stand up from the bed. She headed to the bathroom with her toiletries and a small towel on her shoulder. Rachael sat on the vacant bed as she ran her eyes around the hospital ward. Other patients had stood up to face up with their own issues and Rachael made an effort to evade questioning eyes. She was just twenty and she had come a long way in knowing the implications of carrying a pregnancy as an unmarried lady. She felt pity for her friend hence her willingness to assist her.

A radiant look and a refreshing smile was visible on Kome as she walked into the ward from the restroom. The bulging stomach stood in front with the towel hanging on her neck. She was a beautiful girl no doubt but pregnancy had made her put on some weight. She sat beside Rachael who was smiling at her.

‘’ Why are you smiling?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Nothing, I just like the smile on your face’’ Rachael replied.

‘’ I am just tired of giving into my worries, the baby will be out soon’’ she said.

Silence followed. It had been great to nurture the pregnancy but taking care of the baby was going to be a much different task. They were not ready even if they were going to carry out the task nevertheless. Kome rubbed cream on her body.

‘’ So how are you preparing for the exam?’ Kome asked.

‘’ Seriously, I have not read as much as I would want to. I need time and I hope to make use of this week to prepare’’

Kome feared the implication of Rachael’s absence. The new week was indeed going to open up a new chapter in her life and this could happen without any form of familiar presence. She was surely going to miss Rachael. Once she was done with putting on her dress, she took the flask of food Rachael had brought. The aroma was pleasing and she examined the content. Rachael prepared vegetable and yam.

‘’ I really like this’’ Kome said.

‘’ Thank you’’

She ate slowly relishing the taste of the food. Once she was done, they chatted a little and Rachael took her leave with the intention to return in the evening. No sooner had Rachael left when Bose came around. Kome was seated on the bed paying little or no attention to the events that were going on around her.

‘’ How are you?’ Bose asked.

‘’ I am fine ma’’ She replied.

‘’ Would you mind if I ask you a few questions?’

‘’ No ma’’

‘’ I must say incidence of pregnant single ladies are not strange but it is rare. I have watched you for some time and I see you fall into that category’’

Bose paused and examined Kome’s facial expression. She was listening but had a curious stare.

‘’ Do you have a parent or any support beside your friend?’ Bose asked.

‘’ No’’ she replied.

‘’ Sorry but you don’t have to despair not after the long period of carrying this pregnancy. So how have you been coping?’

‘’ I worked until a month ago’’

‘’ That is okay. So how do you intend to cope after you must have given birth’’

Kome felt she should bring on her defenses at this point. The realization was not far-fetched but how much could she trust this woman who was intent on prying. The silence was uncomfortable for both of them but Nurse Bose still held her gaze.

‘’ Ma, I do appreciate your concern but I hope to solve that problem soon’’

‘’ Kome…’’

She looked at her in surprise. Nurse Bose noticed but she ignored her.

‘’ I can offer a little assistance. I know it has been difficult especially in your lonely state but that is if you will allow me’’

Her face widened in surprise as she stared intently into the eyes of the Good Samaritan nurse. This was more than she expected. Her reticence was a means to starve the nurse of another round of sensational story.

‘’ I will let you rest for now. I will come back’’

Immediately, Bose stood up and left her side. Kome could feel the promise of the offer and this was fast assuming the form of a proverbial light at the end of a tunnel. She had a mission and that was to give birth to the baby as soon as it was possible. It would indeed be a relief to escape her present pain

3 Likes

Re: Grace by Evans407(m): 11:43am On Feb 04, 2017
nice one.. keep it coming
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:56pm On Feb 04, 2017
Life assumed a new shape from that moment. Instead of fretting and worrying about the situation of her finances, her focus instead turned to the day she would deliver the baby. The day would not delay as it appeared a week and three days after her admission at the hospital.

She went into labour just before dawn. She was taken into the labour room where she was attended to by a doctor and three nurses. The labour was hard and torturous as she struggled for three hours. It was therefore a huge delight when she heard the cry of the baby. Her head fell back and she slept off immediately. She would go on to dream of a world of bliss. A world of pristine vegetation, she wore a white gown as she walked through matted grasses and watched birds fly from one spot to the other. It was a perfect release from the hell she had gone through in reality. The bliss of the dreamy world was punctuated by the cry of a baby. She slowly came to consciousness and immediately became familiar with the environment. She saw a lady dressed in white go to the cot and carry the baby from it.

‘’ Oh, you are awake’’ the nurse said on seeing her weary eyes.

She had a faint smile on her face as she saw the fair complexion of the baby. The nurse brought the baby closer and gave it to her.

‘’ It is a girl’’ the nurse cooed.

Kome broke into a wide grin at the mention of the sex. She could at last hold her own. She had gotten what she hoped for. The baby burst into tears and Kome instinctively brought her breast out as the baby immediately rushed to suckle. The nurse left after a while. Kome enjoyed watching as the baby suckled and her initiation into parenthood achieved full completion at this point.

Her first visitor after she had cleaned up was Rachael. Kome smiled at her and Rachael could hardly hide the joy in her face.

‘’ I heard the news already, where is she?’ Rachael asked.

Kome turned her head to her left and Rachael’s eyes immediately followed to the left corner of the room. The baby was in a makeshift wooden cot which had been supplied by the hospital. Rachael walked to where the baby was and reached her right hand to stroke the baby.

‘’ She is so cute’’ Rachael said with glee on her return.

‘’ Yes, I think she is worth it’’ Kome said in a strained voice.

She was spent and she needed as much rest she could get. Rachael sat beside her.

‘’ My exam have started’’ Rachael said.

‘’ That is great to hear, graduation in view’’ Kome said and grinned.

‘’ Sure, I can’t wait’’

A moment of silence followed. It was an awkward meeting. Rachael was more than a friend at this point, she was family.

‘’ So when will you be discharged?’ Rachael asked.

‘’ I don’t know. I have not heard anything from the doctor yet’’ she replied.

‘’ I am happy for you. I know how difficult it has been for you’’ Rachael surmised.

Kome stared at her friend and happily took in her show of solidarity. There was less to talk about as the time went on and Rachael left some time before it was dark. Kome remained confined to the bed except for the time she went to carry the baby from the cot in order to breastfeed her.

At dawn the next day, after she had rested she was summoned to the office of the doctor. She arrived at the office of the doctor just before it was 9:00am. The doctor was seated behind a medium sized table with files arranged on the right side of him.

‘’ Good morning Sir’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good morning, our new mum’’ a slight smile’’ You can have your seat’’

She sat at the doctor’s invitation.

‘’ Miss Kome, we have assessed your medical record and we can actually say there has been no complication before and even at this point. I must say you are ready to go home’’ the doctor said.

She still held the gaze of the doctor. She was lost for words.

‘’ Miss Kome, you are indeed lucky as your medical bills have also been settled by a Good Samaritan’’ the doctor said.

Her eyes widened in surprise.

‘’ I have little to say other than to say I am genuinely surprised by this kind gesture’’ she managed to say.

‘’ I am happy for you and sincerely hope your baby continues in good health. You are free to go, we will give you a proper clearance when it is time for your departure’’ the doctor said.

Kome could hardly contain her excitement as she stood up from the chair. She left the office and walked back to the ward. She went to where the baby was sleeping and stood by the cot for a while. She turned slightly when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She recognized Nurse Bose immediately.

‘’ Good morning ma’’ she greeted.

‘’ Good morning, she is beautiful’’ Bose commented.

Kome smiled as she rested her gaze on the child.

‘’ So how are you?’ Bose asked.

There was a sort of maternal feeling in her voice.

‘’ Ma, I am very fine especially considering the fact that somebody has paid the bills’’ she said.

She left the side of the cot and walked back to sit on her bed. Nurse Bose sat beside her.

‘’ Has the doctor told you when you will be leaving?’ she asked.

‘’ Yes, it could be sooner than I thought’’ Kome replied.

‘’ That is good to hear. I have something for you and if you will allow, I can help drive you to your house’’

It was both a generous and strange offer. They barely knew each other and she was offering so much assistance to her. She felt like rejecting the offer but there was little in the way to replace this kind and needed gesture.

‘’ I hope you will be around then’’ Kome said as she turned to look at her.

‘’ I will do well to wait’’ Bose assured.

It was an affirmation of her good will towards Kome. Kome also recognized the look in her eyes. It was one a mother reserved for her child. Bose left immediately and she laid back to rest. She would spend another day in the hospital before she was discharged. She was driven home by Nurse Bose in her car. On arrival at the compound, she was met by the inquisitive eyes of her neighbours. Rachael was not around but she had no problem entering as the key was kept under the foot mat in front of the door. Nurse Bose held the baby while she set about opening the door. Once they entered, she took the baby from Bose who left almost immediately. She returned with a bag. She saw the curious look on Kome’s face once she returned.

‘’ The baby need some of the things in this bag’’ She said.

Kome was happy to hear such words as it was a show of love from an unexpected source. Bose sat a while with her as she lectured her on some important things to do in order to ensure that the baby remained in good condition. By the time she was done, Kome grew into liking her more. Rachael returned just before Bose left. Kome did the introduction and the nurse left after a short time.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 7:20pm On Feb 04, 2017
This nurse bose hmmm i hope she is not into child buying and selling. RIDE ON BRO.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by heemah(f): 9:31pm On Feb 04, 2017
xaviercasmir:
This nurse bose hmmm i hope she is not into child buying and selling.
RIDE ON BRO.
Abi oooo. All these niceties.

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 8:18am On Feb 05, 2017
xaviercasmir:
This nurse bose hmmm i hope she is not into child buying and selling.
RIDE ON BRO.
Thanks for your regular comments. Not all kind gestures have selfish motives.
Re: Grace by t1976(f): 10:33am On Feb 05, 2017
Nice story,kudos to the writersadsadsmiley

1 Like

Re: Grace by heemah(f): 10:54am On Feb 05, 2017
Btw, why hasn't she been mobilized for NYSC yet??

1 Like

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 11:13am On Feb 05, 2017
Akposb:

Thanks for your regular comments. Not all kind gestures have selfish motives.
OK. my opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:35pm On Feb 05, 2017
heemah:
Btw, why hasn't she been mobilized for NYSC yet??
She was mobilised but did not go to collect the letter due to her pregnancy. Thanks for reading.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:41pm On Feb 05, 2017
It was a tiring period for Kome in the baby’s early months as she took to crying at any available opportunity. She did exclusive breast-feeding as she had no money to buy substitute feeding items. She spent most of this period alone as Rachael travelled home as soon as the examinations was over. Fortunately, Bose continued to visit. Their relationship soon grew from that of two unequal friends to one that was almost on equal footing. Kome was desperate to know more about this lady who had stuck close to her especially in this torturous period of her life. The opportunity arrived on a least expected day. Bose had come around as usual from her work place on that Friday. It was around 5:00pm when she visited. Kome eagerly welcomed her into the house and she took her seat on the bed beside the baby. She carried the stocky infant up and smiled at her cheery face.

‘’ This baby reminds me of a period in my life’’ she said.

The tone was quite moody and Kome noticed a tear fall from a corner of her eye. She did nothing to hide the tear as she handed the baby to Kome.

‘’ I know you must be wondering why I helped you’’ she said.

Kome nodded with eager anticipation.

‘’ I once faced rejection from those who ought to support me. I am divorced. My husband left me because I gave birth to two beautiful girls’’ a slight giggle.

Kome still maintained her inquisitive stare. Her interest was not affected by the woman’s laughter.

‘’ I can almost relate to your experience. You are a castaway because you became pregnant out of wedlock’’

Kome replied with a slight nod. She could almost feel the woman’s eyes burrowing into her mind.

‘’ I was almost caught adrift when my husband left. I was forced to fend for my two girls with the meagre salary I was receiving at that point in time. It was a difficult beginning though but the years spent with my beautiful daughters have erased those pains’’

She sighed and Kome surprised by her revelations bowed her head in pity.

‘’I felt I could help you when I saw you. I knew you must have received enough punishment for this act of yours. It is always the burden of the female when things like this happen and I can see that you are a brave girl’’ Bose said.

Kome maintained a bland expression. She was not in the right, she knew but wasn’t it rightfully said that two wrongs don’t make a right. At least she was getting an accolade from an elderly person. She wondered if her father would say the same when she decides to return home.

‘’ I think it’s time for you to visit me. You would like my daughters’’ Bose said.

‘’ It would be great ma’’ she said.

She was happy. She couldn’t believe the open invitation that had been extended to her. Bose did not say much afterwards as she busied herself with carrying the baby. Bose’s revelation stayed with Kome even after she had gone. The night was silent and she enjoyed it that way as it gave vent to the thoughts in her head. She could not but examine critically the unfair situation faced by the female gender in the society. Now, she had a baby to take care of, one of the same gender with a shameful tag hanging on her head. A feeling of fear came upon her and she cuddled the baby. She made a vow to protect the baby and this she was going to do with her last breath. The future was unpredictable but she wasn’t going to despair. She struggled to sleep even as she dreamt of the future.

Kome visited the home of Nurse Bose a week after her invitation. Bose had driven her to the house which was located at the Government reserved area in Benin. The house was a two bedroom bungalow and the surrounding environment was neat and quiet. Bose knocked on the door once they arrived at the front porch. The door was opened immediately by a girl of about fifteen. They walked in. The sitting room was large enough to contain an L-shaped couch and two settee. The television was tuned to a station which was showing a movie.

‘’ You are welcome to my home’’ she heard Bose say.

She accepted her hand gesture to sit. The air was cool as the ceiling fan was indeed doing a nice job.

‘’ Also may I introduce you to my eldest daughter Franca’’ Bose pointed to her daughter who was still standing.

‘’ Good to meet you Franca, my name is Kome’’ She replied.

‘’ The second is Tessy and she usually attends extra mural lessons. I hope she meets you’’ Bose interjected.

‘’ I hope to meet her’’ Kome replied.

Bose excused her and went towards the room. Kome did not hesitate to join Franca in watching the movie that was showing on tv. Bose returned some minutes after having changed from her uniform into a gown. She was carrying a bottle of coke.

‘’ Kome, this is for you. I hope the food is ready before you leave’’ she said.

‘’ Thank you very much ma’’ Kome said.

She took the bottle and took a sip. It tasted refreshing as the cold liquid journeyed pass her throat. From then on, Nurse Bose engaged her in a banter. The air was informal and they discussed without the usual stricture of age or officiousness. Franca joined in at some point and it was indeed a pleasant meeting. Tessy arrived an hour after Kome’s visit. She was a girl of twelve and she was preparing for her senior secondary school classes. She was a bit tall, kept her hair low and have a chocolate skin. She greeted Kome immediately they were introduced and also took the baby from her. Time went quite fast as darkness crept stealthily on them. Kome was worried about staying but Bose convinced her to stay. She was not comfortable with the idea but once her daughters joined in, she had no choice but to lay aside her worries. They continued discussing until late in the night. Bose invited Kome to share her bed with her while the baby slept in the middle.

The next day, they were up very early and the family had their prayers. It was quite a nostalgic moment for Kome. The idea of having a devotion have been shelved out of her schedule but she enjoyed the singing and bible exhortation. An hour after Bose and Kome left the house. Bose drove Kome to home and left immediately. Kome felt loved once again as she walked into the room. She sat on her bed and suddenly thoughts of what freedom from her present responsibilities would look like flowed into her mind. Just as she was about to give in to those pleasant thoughts, the baby broke into a high pitched cry. She brought the baby closer for her to suckle and then she started feeling that familiar strain. What Next! The question would eventually be drowned by the din of the acute loneliness that has been her lot of recent. She needed to make plans on how to kick-start her life. She took consolation in the fact that she already had her degree but she still had the National youth service standing between her and a supposed long period of working in a public or private enterprise. Despite the plain trail of possibilities that lay ahead, she knew the baby was a stigma that would have a major influence on her future plans. She rocked the baby from side to side as she mimicked some rhymes sang to babies as they suckle.

5 Likes

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 4:32pm On Feb 07, 2017
Two months had gone since she gave birth when she started giving serious thoughts to what would become of her in the next future. She had decided to apply for the Youth Service scheme through her department. She was also going to start looking for a job as she had no other means of earning money and had subsisted on the generous hand-out from Bose. Her friendship with Bose have really being a saving grace and she couldn’t be more grateful. She had barely heard from Rachael though she was bound to return someday as a result of her clearance and the need to get her mobilization letter for the youth service. Taking care of the baby was a huge task but it was also a great company as she enjoyed watching her progress every day.

The baby had turned her into a recluse as she barely stepped out of the house except for important matters. She ransacked her mind for possible clues on what to do. After some time, she decided to return to work at the restaurant. Despite the assurance of the manager, she was still unsure if she would be reinstated or even find the position vacant especially in the present situation where job was not readily available. Her present life was indeed a bore and she could barely define the figure that stared back at her each time she looked at the mirror. She was always looking forlorn and weak despite the fact that she always tried to wear a smile on her face.

A week of prancing up and down in search of more engaging things took her back to the restaurant she had worked previously. She arrived the restaurant early the next day and met them just at the point of resumption. Some of the workers recognized her and they cheered when they saw the baby. She smiled as they came around to congratulate her on having her baby successfully. After some few minutes she went to the manager’s office. She knocked on the door and the order came as usual. She opened the door and walked in.

‘’ Whoa, Kome you are welcome. How are you?’ Desmond asked cheerily.

‘’ I am fine Sir’’ she replied.

‘’ You can have your seat’’

She sat on one of the chairs facing Desmond.

‘’ It’s been a long time already. How far gone is the baby?’ he asked.

‘’ I gave birth two months ago’’ she replied.

‘’ Okay, so what do you want?’ he asked with full concentration on her.

‘’ Sir, I came to see if you could give me another opportunity to work with you’’ she replied.

Desmond bowed his head down in thougts. She sat watching as she waited through another nerve wracking moment.

‘’ The position is already filled but you can help to assist the new cashier. I must commend the fact that you did a nice job in the time you spent with us’’ he remarked.

A smile broke on her face as she relished the appraisal.

‘’ Thank you sir’’ she replied.

‘’ The only issue is that we can’t afford to pay you as much as we paid you the last time. We can only pay you ten thousand naira at the moment’’ he said.

‘’ Okay sir’’

A quick reply that did little to hide the disappointment in her voice. The money would barely be enough to take care of her needs but she had no option.

‘’ You can resume tomorrow’’ Desmond said.

She left the office with a bitter-sweet taste in her mouth. She had what she wanted but the reduced salary was a dent on her joy. She waved at the waiters she met on arrival at the reception and left for home. The sun was out by the time she stepped out of the restaurant. She covered the baby who she had tied to her back with a wrapper. She took a motorcycle ride home as she couldn’t muster enough energy to walk home. She battled to keep her restless thoughts at bay as she struggled to make sense of the condition attached to the job. She had made up her mind to take the job.

From the next day she started the routine of going to work early. She always had a bag on her right hand, an umbrella on her left and the baby tied to her back. Her new colleague was a male. His name was Edosa, a short, dark and handsome youth who should be in his late twenties. They did their introduction at the request of the manager and they went on to discuss how the affairs of the office will be managed. Kome found him a good and considerate colleague as he was willing to listen to suggestions from her. This first impression would set in motion a relationship that would span the two months that Kome spent at the restaurant.

She waited another month before she wrote a letter to her department to request for her mobilization to the youth service scheme. She had received a letter from Rachael during this period where she expressed her concern for her well-being and the health of her baby. She had promised to come as soon as the list of eligible graduates for youth service was out. Kome received the message without much complaint. Though she was feeling lonely, she felt better being on her own. The baby grew as the days went by and this was a big consolation besides the excellent working relationship that existed between her and Edosa. He would make attempt to woo her even as she paid blind interest to his offer of love. She was still healing from Eric’s act of betrayal thus her refusal to subject herself to whatever form of love promises that came from Edosa.

One silver lining was her close relationship with Nurse Bose. Her relationship with her was of two folds. Bose was both a friend and a mother figure to her. Bose saw through her effort to put up a smiling face each time she felt depressed. She was always quick to offer an advice and encouragement. Kome valued the maternal role she played in her life as it was a form of consolation due to her mother’s early death. Her relationship with Bose’s daughters was also good and this made her to feel welcome in their presence. As a result, she always visited them at least once in a week. Her admiration for her baby grew even as she watched her progress. Bose was equally important to the development of the baby and Kome was wont to refer to her as the god-mother. Despite the state of things, she still felt claustrophobic. She feared she was gradually putting her youthful years in abeyance. It was a situation she was willing to change as soon as it was possible.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 7:14pm On Feb 07, 2017
more ink to your pen bro.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:37am On Feb 08, 2017
A Definitive Decision

Rachael came around exactly two months after she had left. She was looking radiant. Kome regard her with utmost interest as she talked about the changes that was gradually taking root in Warri, the commercial city of Delta state. Rachael had successfully graduated and had come to do her clearance with the intention to go for the service year once it was time. Kome was also expectant that she would be on the same batch with Rachael. She was eagerly looking forward to the exercise. The most fascinating thought was the fact that they would be going off to a new state in a different region of the country. She was eager to discover new places as she knew little of Nigeria beyond the former Bendel state.

Rachael spent one week with Kome and it was fun all the way. Kome did not visit Bose throughout that period as she concentrated her full attention on Rachael. Bose did not come either. Rachael fussed over the baby and eagerly assisted Kome in taking care of the baby. Rachael left immediately she was done with the school clearance with a promise to return once the call-up letter was out. Kome felt an acute sense of loneliness as she watched her friend leave. The baby was past three months and it had been three months of loneliness, hunger and struggle. She felt she could do with a bit of freedom but that was not possible especially with a child clinging to her. She also missed her home and family. She was jealous of Bose’s daughters who had a perfect role model in their mother. She had craved that at some point especially as her father was quite distant in their relationship. She feared she was not in the right mind to take care of herself and now here was a little infant clinging to her for all assistance she could render.

Kome had known of orphanages as a sanctuary for abandoned and vulnerable children. It was also an approved centre where childless couples could go to adopt children. The word had formed vaguely in her mind but the more she thought of it, the more she felt sure of the possibility that it held the solution to her immediate problem. She would carry out the plan very early in the morning. Lady Theresa home was quite far from the street she lived in. The allure of its environment also convinced her of the suitability of the place for her precious baby. Friday 26th May was an important day for her. It was the day she gave her baby away. She had arrived at the front of the orphanage just before the Morning Prayer and dropped the cane basket she had placed her in just in front of the gate.

She stood at a hidden spot and watched to ensure that the baby was picked up by the gatekeeper. After watching for some minutes, she left with the conviction that the baby was safe. She felt empty as the bus she boarded drove through the streets. Life was gradually returning back to the streets but she was oblivious of this. She missed her baby already and her thoughts had turned to full mockery of her decision.
She had thought of the impending youth service thus her decision to get the baby out of the way. Also she feared the baby could soon outgrow her infant months and knew therefore that it would be the end of any thought of transferring the burden of raising the baby to another. It was on her way to work that the separation became more of a torture. Despite being free from the burden of having the baby tied to her back, she felt like a big part of her had been traded for nothing. Edosa was the first to give full expression to the absence of her baby.

‘’ Good morning’’ she greeted on seeing him.

He was already seated and was facing the door of the office.

‘’ Good morning Kome, where is your baby?’ he asked.

‘’ I gave it to a friend to help me look after her’’ she replied quickly.

‘’ Okay. I believe the baby is safe then and that leaves just you and me’’ he smirked.

She smiled and sat on a chair not too far from him. Edosa tried to sustain her interest as he smiled at her but Kome showed no interest. She was instead debating within her mind on how she was going to answer subsequent questions especially from Bose. These thoughts occupied her mind throughout the work day. She had little to do apart from the usual task of recording income and expenditure. She left just before Edosa and took a bus ride to the GRA. She walked to the home of Bose and was received at the door by Franca.

‘’ Good evening aunty’’ she greeted.

She smiled at her which she reciprocated.

‘’ Good evening, how are you?’ she asked.

‘’ I am fine’’ Franca replied.

‘’ Is your mom around?’ she asked.

‘’ No’’

‘’ Alright, I want you to give this to her when she returns’’

Kome brought out a folded sheet of paper and handed it to Franca. Once she was done, she turned to leave immediately. That was the last piece of the puzzle that she had decided to weave around her child. She went home in good spirits. After all it was almost feeling like before she met Eric.

Despite the fact that she enjoyed the thrill of their love while their relationship lasted, she could not but agree that the consequence had almost erased all of her excitement. She had only one concern at the moment which was the imminent call-up to the mandatory one-year youth service scheme.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 9:17am On Feb 08, 2017
Hope that kome will not regret her action someday. Nice update bro. Keep it up
Re: Grace by oyinda1242(f): 9:33am On Feb 08, 2017
.hmmm....nice work....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Grace by heemah(f): 10:10am On Feb 08, 2017
She shouldn't have abandoned her baby cuz she 'll later regret this. There are so many other ways of putting d girl in an orphanage home other than this.
Re: Grace by triplemmm3(f): 10:28am On Feb 08, 2017
She made a very big. Mistake, she should have confided in Bose and ask for her help
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 3:44pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nice reactions from you guys. Let's just sit back and watch how the story unfold.
Re: Grace by hisable2: 9:58am On Feb 09, 2017
@op pls i hv been anxiously waiting for the completion of this story. pls lets keep it coming dont stop. thanks

1 Like

Re: Grace by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 10:08am On Feb 09, 2017
Orphanages don't kill kids, do they? At a time, when we have to make choices, it would be good if we knew that accidents do happen even if we took the best decisions. I admire her will.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / Remember Me / My Son My Man- A Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.