Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Grace - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Grace (24487 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie, Her Father, James Nwoye Adichie & Mother Grace Ifeoma Bond / Chimamanda Adichie Nearly Cried Seeing Mother, Grace Ifeoma Read Online Comments / Jane's dilemma(A short story about love and double-dating)by Onojeta Grace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:49pm On Mar 13, 2017
The wedding throng came back just before 6:00pm. It was a small crowd that followed Bose to the house. Kome had managed to get a grip over her emotions as she sat in the sitting room alone. Bose was the first person that entered the sitting-room.

‘Kome what happened?’ She asked looking bemused.

She tried to venture a reply but there was no word.

‘I have tried calling your phone but no response…Come on, let’s take a picture’

She dragged Kome who stood up reluctantly and they walked out of the house. Happy banters were been exchanged by the people outside. Bose pulled out to the front of the house and they struck a pose for the camera to take a shot. The gloom of the coming dark was gradually descending on the environment. Hearty cheers and words of congratulations kept pouring in as the day gave way for the night. Kome enjoyed the moment as she stood by Bose all through. Grace was seated in the sitting room watching a program on television.

They finally got a break just before it was 9:00pm. Bose had changed into a different cloth and invited Kome to have a chat with her.

‘I hope you enjoyed the ceremony?’ Bose asked.

‘Yes ma’ she replied.

‘I am just happy everything went well. Franca is gone and it would soon be Tessy’

‘Ma, isn’t that something to be happy about’

‘Definitely… so what are you up to?’

Kome looked dumbfounded.

‘Why that look?’ Bose queried, ‘You are not getting any younger’

‘I think Grace is enough at this moment’

‘Don’t tell me Grace does not need a father. You definitely should have an admirer and I can imagine you stalling on a decision. You should not let the past colour your vision of the future’

‘I don’t think I can commit to a relationship at this time of my life’

‘You may have a teen as a daughter but you are still young. I am not urging you to just get married but you must leave your options open’

‘Ma, work is a task already. I really don’t think I can start a marriage now’

‘Hey, don’t be rigid about this…you must let God take the lead in your life. I really don’t want you to see marriage as a necessity, instead I want you to let go of the past so it does not harm your present’

‘Okay ma’

‘So how was my cloth today’

Kome chuckled ‘You looked beautiful’

‘Then you should think of adding something similar to your wardrobe. You ladies of these days tend to shy away from tying wrapper’

‘It isn’t my favourite wear’

Bose gaped at her and Kome laughed in return. Lightheartedly, they continued far into the night before they went off to sleep. The next day, they had the thanksgiving of the new couple at the venue of the wedding.
It was noon when Kome and Grace set off for Warri. She felt much better as she drove through the streets to connect the road to Sapele.

‘Mummy, can I ask a question?’ Grace asked.

‘Yes’

‘Who was that man at the party?’

She took in the question coldly and waited a little before replying.

‘That is your father’

Silence returned as both contemplated the implication of the statement.

‘He was not interested in your birth. You don’t need him’ Kome said.

‘Okay ma’

‘I will want you to meet my father, your grand-father'

‘Okay ma’

‘We will travel to the village on Friday’

‘Okay ma’

Little was said as they got closer to the house. They arrived at the house and immediately Kome left for her room. She was about taking off her clothes when her phone rang. It was John.

‘Hello’ she said.

‘How are you?’

‘I am fine’

‘How was church today?’

‘Church was fine…did you go to church?’

‘Yes, I thought about it and felt I should get that experience once again. Could we have a little time out?’

She sighed quietly.

‘Where do you want to go?’

‘We could meet at the same spot if you don’t mind?’

‘Alright, I hope we don’t stay long’

‘I don’t intend to keep you for long’

‘Okay, just give me some thirty minutes’

‘Thank you’

She dropped the phone and immediately plopped on the bed. She was tired but her mind was willing. After some minutes, she dragged herself up and went to the bathroom. She had a quick shower and left after assuring Grace of just an hour of absence. She arrived at the restaurant some forty minutes after. John was seated in the same spot. He wore a black pair of trousers and a polo.

‘I am sorry for coming late’ she said as she sat down.

‘I do appreciate your coming. You look beautiful’

She smiled ‘Thank you’

‘So how is your daughter?'

‘She is fine’

‘What would you want to take?’

‘Nothing’

‘Okay but may be a glass of wine or water will do’

‘Okay, let’s have it’

He signaled to the waiter and ordered for wine.

‘So I am happy you came. I just felt it won’t be out of place if I see you today. I was at the beach yesterday and tried to search for you among the crowd’

‘That is not my best spot for relaxation’

‘Okay. So Kome what do you say to my proposal if I suggest we keep doing this until you agree’

The waiter came around and dropped their order.

‘I am waiting to hear your reply’

‘I can see you are trying to force an agreement from me’

‘Kome, I could pretend that this is just a harmless occasion but each time I think about you, I just dream of the good future we could have together’

‘John, I do appreciate your interest and I can assure you that a decision will be reached once we have done these several times’

‘Okay, if that be the case, I am willing to keep trying’

He smiled with ease and raised his glass for a toss which Kome reciprocated. Work did not interfere in their discussion as they soon discovered new areas and ideas to discuss. Kome would discover at the end of their meeting that she felt better. He had indeed proved to be a good communicator and this was telling in her general assessment of him. On the way home, she struggled to mount up oppositions to the positive feelings that serenaded her heart. The meeting with Eric had proved to be a release and that discussion with Bose had been a subtle rebuke to her obstinate mind. From that moment on, she made a decision to change her outlook on her past and embrace the dream that was already appearing in the present.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 6:34pm On Mar 13, 2017
Honestly, I must confess this is the best story for me on nairaland, OP you are really doing a great job may God grant you wisdom and understanding for the next update. OP please let the next update come in time o

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:35am On Mar 14, 2017
Johnsonibx:
Honestly, I must confess this is the best story for me on nairaland, OP you are really doing a great job may God grant you wisdom and understanding for the next update. OP please let the next update come in time o
Thanks bro for your commendation and I do appreciate your constant presence. I will make sure later today.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2017
Kome made a conscious decision to spend as much time with Grace as possible as the week went by. She gave much of her time to knowing about her interests and plans for the future. Therefore, their bond grew stronger as the days went by. As soon as Kome returned from work on Thursday night, she called to inform her father of her intention to visit the next day. She called Grace into her room after they had had dinner.

‘I hope you remember that I told you about our visit to your grand-father’

‘Yes ma’

‘I want you to know something. He knows nothing about you and he will be seeing you for the first time tomorrow’

‘Okay ma’

‘I just want you to understand that whatever happens, you must make sure to accept his decision without hating or judging him. I just want him to see you’

‘Okay ma’

‘I definitely know he would like you. Come’
She embraced her and patted her head.

Once Kome laid on the bed to rest that night, she struggled to keep her thoughts in check. She tried to imagine her father’s reaction but yet she was adamant that it was time she stopped living in denial. She was ready to confront him.

3 Likes

Re: Grace by Genevievejasper(f): 7:52pm On Mar 14, 2017
Waooo interesting more ink to ur pen

1 Like

Re: Grace by Smooth278(m): 8:12pm On Mar 14, 2017
Nice heartfelt story ... Hopefully it will all end with a happily ever after ....
Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 8:49pm On Mar 14, 2017
Oghale! So u want 2 become a grandpa too, thanks to Jah she did not aborted the pregnancy
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:04pm On Mar 15, 2017
Smooth278:
Nice heartfelt story ... Hopefully it will all end with a happily ever after ....
How about an unconventional ending? Life is always full of challenges.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:05pm On Mar 15, 2017
Johnsonibx:
Oghale! So u want 2 become a grandpa too, thanks to Jah she did not aborted the pregnancy
God knows the best as humans are limited in knowledge.
Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2017
Akposb:
God knows the best as humans are limited in knowledge.
Abi nah!!!
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 11:37pm On Mar 15, 2017
There we have it. Thanks to all who pushed me up to this point and those who commented, it gave me much inspiration. It's never too late for those who have not, I wish to hear from you. I hope to do another soon.

5 Likes

Re: Grace by AutumnSpring: 11:48pm On Mar 15, 2017
Been follwing the story silently and I must say I enjoyed reading along.
However, we the association of readers "wee not take it" *in Orubebe's voice*.
Reason is because e never end well.
We gats know wetin happen to that dickhead Eric...like if he contacted Kome and got to know about Grace and if he took responsibility...not like his existence really matters to me as a person though.

Keep up with your writing skills.

Waiting to hear from you.

2 Likes

Re: Grace by Smooth278(m): 4:36am On Mar 16, 2017
Must say I really enjoyed the story though the end feels a "tinny Winny" bit rushed but all in all an interesting read... Well done

1 Like

Re: Grace by kajsa08: 6:08am On Mar 16, 2017
@Akposb what about papa grace- eric? is he just gonna be free after what he did?
I will not take it as the end sha, cheesy maybe there's Part 2.

1 Like

Re: Grace by eitsei(m): 6:23am On Mar 16, 2017
kajsa08:
@Akposb what about papa grace- eric? is he just gonna be free after what he did?
I will not take it as the end sha, cheesy maybe there's Part 2.
I think there's part 2 because we do not know what happened to Eric and his relationship with grace

2 Likes

Re: Grace by princessadeola(f): 8:13am On Mar 16, 2017
I really enjoyed the story. more wisdom

1 Like

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 9:31am On Mar 16, 2017
Amazing story. More wisdom to you
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 5:13pm On Mar 16, 2017
I really appreciate your comments hence I will want to use this opportunity to ask for your understanding.

AutumnSpring Thanks for the commendation. Concerning the end of the story, even though it was written with the third person narrative, the narrative is based on the actual effect on Kome thus Eric and whatever becomes of him is not really a concern. Let us just assume he is a coward who did not get to share in the victory, that is enough payment already.

Smooth276 thanks and I believe events do happen so fast sometimes.

Kajsa08, You are one of the people that got me to write to this point, thanks for your interest but I think it's best we let the characters be.

etsie Eric is not in my radar anymore.

princessadeola I appreciate your comment

xaviercasmir thank you very much for your consistent comments.

I hope questions will not come up again.

1 Like

Re: Grace by Domance: 5:43pm On Mar 16, 2017
Nice story bro I enjoyed every bit of it while it lasted. More insights bro

1 Like

Re: Grace by xaviercasmir(m): 6:04pm On Mar 16, 2017
You are welcome boss. I hope you will start another story soon. right?
Re: Grace by kajsa08: 6:19pm On Mar 16, 2017
Akposb:

Kajsa08, You are one of the people that got me to write to this point, thanks for your interest but I think it's best we let the characters be.

etsie Eric is not in my radar anymore.
Eric is truly a coward n half-a-man.
ure welcome dear. cheesy
Re: Grace by Nmaglit: 12:59am On Mar 17, 2017
nice one I learnt alot
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:17am On Mar 17, 2017
xaviercasmir:
You are welcome boss. I hope you will start another story soon. right?
I hope if time and chance allows.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:18am On Mar 17, 2017
Nmaglit:
nice one I learnt alot
Thank you.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 7:18am On Mar 17, 2017
Domance:
Nice story bro I enjoyed every bit of it while it lasted. More insights bro
Thank you very much sir.
Re: Grace by mercyymai(f): 2:21pm On Mar 17, 2017
weldone sis

1 Like

Re: Grace by Johnsonibx(m): 5:02pm On Mar 17, 2017
Nice work OP the ending make sense and for Eric he's a coward

1 Like

Re: Grace by yorhmienerd(m): 5:46pm On Mar 17, 2017
cool

1 Like

Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 6:51pm On Mar 17, 2017
mercyymai:
weldone sis
Thanks but I am a bro.
Re: Grace by Akposb(m): 6:52pm On Mar 17, 2017
Johnsonibx:
Nice work OP the ending make sense and for Eric he's a coward
Thank you for staying till the end.
Re: Grace by mercyymai(f): 10:35pm On Mar 21, 2017
Akposb:
Thanks but I am a bro.
Lol..... Ok Bro
Re: Grace by pweetyz(f): 4:36pm On Mar 25, 2017
the story was awesome I must say
I did expect it to be longer tho and go further into their future.
It's awesome either ways
Thank you so much
Keep up the good work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Remember Me / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / My Son My Man- A Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.