Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 (15063 Views)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos / Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 11:53am On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Good thing you are done. Because I was already done. I don't even see the point of this long talk when you yourself said here: It is ok to acknowledge one's foreign ancestry, if any, but it doesn't necessarily define your current identity today. Is this any different from my position? I acknowledge my Igala ancestry; I acknowledge my current identity as Igbo.

Why these winding dissertations you have been piling here when we are not even saying anything different from other?

Thought you were done already?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 11:56am On Jan 19, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Thought you were done already?

You keep calling for my attention by quoting back. undecided

Plus you've successfully ruined your own thread. No one's going to be talking slave numbers anymore. It's now going to be about Anioma. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 12:00pm On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:

You keep calling for my attention by quoting back. undecided

Plus you've successfully ruined your own thread. No one's going to be talking slave numbers anymore. It's now going to be about Anioma. undecided

Taken care of.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by davidif: 12:03pm On Jan 19, 2017
bigfrancis21:
YORUBA SLAVE NUMBERS EXPORTED FROM BIGHT OF BENIN FROM 1650 TO 1865

The image below is a table of all slave ports in the Bight of Benin and the number of slaves exported from these ports during the entire slave trade period from 1650 to 1865.

Of all these ports, Lagos/Onim port was the number 1 source of Yoruba slaves. A quick look shows that from 1651 to 1750, Lagos exported 0 number of slaves for nearly 100 years. We begin to see the exports from Lagos (mostly Yoruba slaves) start from 1751, attaining its all time high between 1826 and 1850 (during the time of the Oyo empire wars) and dropping thereafter. The table indicates that between 1751, when Lagos slave exports began, and 1865, (end of slavery), 317,300 slaves (let us assume all were Yorubas for simplicity) were exported from Lagos port. That is, 317,300 Yoruba slaves were exported from the port of Lagos during the entire slave trade period of 215 years for Bight of Benin.

Now, there are high chances that some Yoruba slaves were also exported through nearby ports of Badagri and Epe. The slaves from these ports would have included Fon slaves, Ga slaves, Akan slaves, Ewe slaves, Yoruba slaves etc. Assuming all the slaves exported from these 2 ports were all Yoruba slaves, the figures are 53,700 and 85,500 for Epe and Badagry respectively, for a combined total of 139,200.

Assuming all the slaves exported from Lagos, Epe and Badagry were of Yoruba descent, the overall number of all 'Yoruba' slaves exported from these 3 ports in the Bight of Benin is 456,500, or less than half a million. However, realistically speaking, given the fact that many non-Yorubas were often labelled 'lukumi' by the Spanish/Portuguese (see second image below) and not all slaves from these 3 ports were actually Yorubas, especially from the ports of Epe and Badagry, the actual number of Yoruba slaves taken from these 3 ports would be a figure between 300,000 and 400,000.

To add also, that not all 300,000 to 456,500 Yoruba slaves who left the shores of West Africa did make it to the new world. A small percentage who were intercepted by the British and settled in Sierra Leone did not make it to Latin America, out of which some of those intercepted by the British who never left the African continent and settled in Sierra Leone (Saros) actually returned back to Lagos. Out of the majority who made it to Latin America, a small percentage (Agudas) returned to Lagos where they settled. Taking into consideration the numbers of Saros and Agudas, the final number of Yoruba slaves settling in Latin America (mainly Brazil) is a figure between 300,000 to 400,000.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Uk1Tbdsq99gC&pg=PA179&dq=yoruba+slave+population+numbers&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjkzI34o8zRAhWH34MKHZDPDaEQ6AEIJTAC#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20slave%20population%20numbers&f=false

Does "Carabali" actually mean Kalabari?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 1:02pm On Jan 19, 2017
Probz:

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/search/igbo+landing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people_in_Jamaica
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Americans

Yeah, you might wanna look at some of this, nigga, and quit talking out of your arse. I see you're another nigga who doesn't think exclusive caps makes you look like anything other than a total oloshi.
Ibos you mean? Eat your heart out boy. You are nothing but a left over spit on being who doesn't know his identity. Ibos on greener pastures you really meant? Smiling all the way. Just like Wole Soyinka dumped Chinua Achebe .You are dumped for good! grin grin cool

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by pazienza(m): 2:50pm On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Everyone knows Yorubas were not sold in large numbers until the Yoruba Wars of the 19th century which followed the collapse of imperial Oyo. No news there.

Despite being smaller, their cultural impact in the New Word is DOMINANT. Yorubas are the single most culturally influential ethnic group in the Black Diaspora. By contrast, the Igbo who were sold in much larger numbers are almost culturally invisible in the New World. This is a clear indicator of who among the two had a more advanced, impactful culture. wink

Meanwhile, I still don't understand why people compare slave numbers as if being enslaved in large numbers is anything to be proud of.

Despite all what the OP explained as the reasons for the observed retaining Of Yoruba culture in the New world, your Igbo hating bitter soul could not allow you read and comprehend him.
Your unquenchable need to always put the Igbo down as indicated by your implication that Yoruba culture is more advanced and impactful than the Igbos, made you make this post.

Oh chi m!

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by pazienza(m): 2:53pm On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:

So I cannot be an Igbo man who calls it as it is? Everything has to be about blindly defending the 'Igbo nation'? undecided

Calling the Igbo culture, an inferior and less impactful One to those of Yorubas, is your idea of calling things as they are?

Are you for real? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 3:13pm On Jan 19, 2017
No discussion about anioma please.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 3:23pm On Jan 19, 2017
pazienza:

Despite all what the OP explained as the reasons for the observed retaining Of Yoruba culture in the New world, your Igbo hating bitter soul could not allow you read and comprehend him.
Your unquenchable need to always put the Igbo down as indicated by your implication that Yoruba culture is more advanced and impactful than the Igbos, made you make this post.

Oh chi m!

Me? Put Igbo culture down? Hate Igbo culture? *scoffs* None of you have done as much for Igbos as I have. All y'all are are e-nationalists

I hate ethnic-ego-massaging posts, especially when they come from people I consider my people. And whenever I see one, I am going to come in with cynic and tongue-in-cheek comments. That's what I do. The Igbo nation have bigger issues than who was taken to America more, or who invented the word 'oyibo'.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by pazienza(m): 3:28pm On Jan 19, 2017

Despite being smaller, their cultural impact in the New Word is DOMINANT. Yorubas are the single most culturally influential ethnic group in the Black Diaspora. By contrast, the Igbo who were sold in much larger numbers are almost culturally invisible in the New World. This is a clear indicator of who among the two had a more advanced, impactful culture. wink

Really? Can you explain in clear terms, the message you intended to pass with the faeces above, if not to denigrate the Igbo, by telling us that our culture is less impactful and less advanced to that of the Yorubas? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 3:36pm On Jan 19, 2017
pazienza:

Really? Can you explain in clear terms, the message you intended to pass with the faeces above, if not to denigrate the Igbo, by telling us that our culture is less impactful and less advanced to that of the Yorubas? undecided

You are riled up. My intention (which was to anger ego-massagers) is working. Go ahead. Get rile up some more.

*settles down to tea*

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by pazienza(m): 3:40pm On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:

You are riled up. My intention (which was to anger ego-massagers) is working. Go ahead. Get rile up some more.

*settles down to tea*

You rile no one up but yourself.
I have been on this forum since 2007, I have seen it all. I know your type well enough to be the least troubled by your own instability.
You had the temerity to denigrate the Igbo race by assigning an inferior position to it, before Yoruba culture, and you think your Igbophobic forays will come unnoticed and unaddressed?

You are dreamer.

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by pazienza(m): 3:45pm On Jan 19, 2017
There use to be an Ubulu-uku indigene on this forum in those days of Onlytruth, his name was "Igboboy", I had forgotten his other monikers then, he was a real representative of Ndiigbo here.

https://www.nairaland.com/igboboy1/posts/22

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 3:53pm On Jan 19, 2017
pazienza:

You rile no one up but yourself.
I have been on this forum since 2007, I have seen it all. I know your type well enough to be the least troubled by your own instability.
You had the temerity to denigrate the Igbo race by assigning an inferior position to it, before Yoruba culture, and you think your Igbophobic forays will come unnoticed and unaddressed?

You are dreamer.

The more you focus on me, the more the topic of discussion here suffers.

*sip sip*

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 10:25pm On Jan 19, 2017
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by KingSango(m): 10:59pm On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:
Everyone knows Yorubas were not sold in large numbers until the Yoruba Wars of the 19th century which followed the collapse of imperial Oyo. No news there.

Meanwhile, I still don't understand why people compare slave numbers as if being enslaved in large numbers is anything to be proud of.

This is very true, Yorubas are the most popular ethnic group of Africans in the whole world. You've got to consider Nigeria is the most popular and influential Black/African nation and among Nigerians, again, Yorubas are the most popular. Sango is the world's most loved African deity and is worshiped in 42 nations on Earth. It can be said without a doubt that Oyo Empire is the future of Africa and this is the reason His Royal Majesty, Oba Adefunmi I, named the first Yoruba village in South Carolina, USA, "Oyotunji", which means, "Oyo Will Rise". Everyone knows that the next great civilization will begin in West Africa which is the richest land on Earth.

If you want to know more then check it out here on the Gullah Gee Chee blog: http://gullahgeecheeworldtradeunion..com/2016/12/reclaim-your-honor-as-independent.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by laudate: 11:56pm On Jan 19, 2017
RedboneSmith:
The more you focus on me, the more the topic of discussion here suffers.
*sip sip*

You ba-aa-ad boy!! Hehehe.... wink
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by macof(m): 12:48am On Jan 20, 2017
Probz:

I no sabi this nigga. Some of your recent posts suggest you're an Igbo guy and you're here proclaiming Yorubas as the most dominant and influential black nation in the African diaspora. Can't you make up your mind?

lmao...this is really funny

so being an igbo man is about denying facts and filling the head with fantasies of some Igbo standpoint, no matter how far from the truth it might be.. I hope you know you are a bigot?

The dude didn't say anything that isn't true. ...Yoruba really is the dominant black influence in the diaspora. . Acknowledging that doesn't make you a bad igbo man, what makes a bad igbo man is not contributing anything to the development of your people. ..so Mr. man you need to get your priorities straight

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Probz(m): 1:02am On Jan 20, 2017
macof:

lmao...this is really funny

so being an igbo man is about denying facts and filling the head with fantasies of some Igbo standpoint, no matter how far from the truth it might be.. I hope you know you are a bigot?

The dude didn't say anything that isn't true. ...Yoruba really is the dominant black influence in the diaspora. . Acknowledging that doesn't make you a bad igbo man, what makes a bad igbo man is not contributing anything to the development of your people. ..so Mr. man you need to get your priorities straight

I was always under the impression that Igbos are the single most well-travelled Nigerians and generally constitute the face of Nigeria save for in the UK, where Yoruba language and culture is admittedly x101 more influential. Shey you're aware that only in mainland Britain that Yorubas outnumber Igbos?

Blow your useless and pathetic insults, abeg, but you can rest firmly assured that I'm no bigot. I'm just not here to see Yorubas blowing their Oduduwa propaganda in the exact same way that I can't get behind all these jobless IPOB idiots and their senseless Biafra agitation.

Yorubas outnumber Igbos by a ratio of anywhere in the region of 1.5-3:1 and counting in every major UK city with a sizeable Nigerian populace and Yoruba's by far the most widely spoken and well-known language here. I'm aware it's the converse in the U.S. (esp. in Houston/Dallas) and most other nations in the world. That's all cool. I only have an issue with it comes to highly tribalistic and largely unexposed Nigerians who see their own tribe as superior going by their limited anecdotal 'experience.' Plenty of these people have never even stepped foot outside Lagos sef, but because a few of una have heard of Peckham/London you think you know what's going on in the diaspora (before you start, that's not necessarily aimed at una). At least get to grips with the basic facts and make a more informed view instead of posting ego-inflating messages on Nairaland and calling out Igbos for supposedly doing the same. Especially when una no get evidence and the other group does.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Funjosh(m): 4:38am On Jan 20, 2017
I cant grasps the point you are trying to make

Probz:

I was always under the impression that Igbos are the single most well-travelled Nigerians and generally constitute the face of Nigeria save for in the UK, where Yoruba language and culture is admittedly x101 more influential. Shey you're aware that only in mainland Britain that Yorubas outnumber Igbos?

Blow your useless and pathetic insults, abeg, but you can rest firmly assured that I'm no bigot. I'm just not here to see Yorubas blowing their Oduduwa propaganda in the exact same way that I can't get behind all these jobless IPOB idiots and their senseless Biafra agitation.

Yorubas outnumber Igbos by a ratio of anywhere in the region of 1.5-3:1 and counting in every major UK city with a sizeable Nigerian populace and Yoruba's by far the most widely spoken and well-known language here. I'm aware it's the converse in the U.S. (esp. in Houston/Dallas) and most other nations in the world. That's all cool. I only have an issue with it comes to highly tribalistic and largely unexposed Nigerians who see their own tribe as superior going by their limited anecdotal 'experience.' Plenty of these people have never even stepped foot outside Lagos sef, but because a few of una have heard of Peckham/London you think you know what's going on in the diaspora (before you start, that's not necessarily aimed at una). At least get to grips with the basic facts and make a more informed view instead of posting ego-inflating messages on Nairaland and calling out Igbos for supposedly doing the same. Especially when una no get evidence and the other group does.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Probz(m): 4:57am On Jan 20, 2017
Funjosh:
I cant grasps the point you are trying to make

That's all right since I wasn't actually talking to you. Wetin be your own?

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Funjosh(m): 5:18am On Jan 20, 2017
My own be say i come read history but your gramma just too much write am for pigin make i understand grin

Probz:

That's all right since I wasn't actually talking to you. Wetin be your own?

4 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Probz(m): 5:20am On Jan 20, 2017
Funjosh:
My own be say i come read history but your gramma just too much write am for pigin make i understand grin

you wan tell me you no sabi simple simple grammar abi? And yet you be moderator? Nawaoh.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Funjosh(m): 5:38am On Jan 20, 2017
Bigfrancis21 is it true that am now a moderator cheesy

Probz:

you wan tell me you no sabi simple simple grammar abi? And yet you be moderator? Nawaoh.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Probz(m): 5:47am On Jan 20, 2017
Funjosh:
Bigfrancis21 is it true that am now a moderator cheesy

You have wrong pesin, abeg. Look at the moniker well.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Dexema(m): 7:41am On Jan 20, 2017
Probz:

I no sabi this nigga. Some of your recent posts suggest you're an Igbo guy and you're here proclaiming Yorubas as the most dominant and influential black nation in the African diaspora. Can't you make up your mind?
You just gave this thread a bad taste with this assertion that leans towards competition between tribes.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by macof(m): 7:56pm On Jan 20, 2017
Probz:

what is all this epistle for now?

you are now a ranting bigot o grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! / Watch White Choir Sing Yoruba Carol.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.