Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,144 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings (10579 Views)

Popular Nairaland Slangs And Their Meanings / 15 Nairaland Memes And Their Meanings (pics) / 26 Popular Nigerian Slangs We All Used In Secondary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by ken19: 2:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
10 Most Common Nigerian Slangs We love
Slangs are the best things that spice up conversations, it takes small talks to deeper levels and even builds friendly relationships. Nigerians are naturally funny people who don’t joke with cool slangs, we have slangs for everything you can think of because really, there’s no point taking life too seriously; especially now that Trump has Slangs are the best things that spice up conversations, it takes small talks to deeper levels and even builds friendly relationships. Nigerians are naturally funny people who don’t joke with cool slangs, we have slangs for everything you can think of because really, there’s no point taking life too seriously; especially now that Trump has won the US Election, Lol. Here are 10 common Slangs we use in Nigeria that makes us want to really thank whoever invented slangs.
1. Mbok Our very own Cross River people on this one. This is a slang that means “Please ” in a lot of ways, like that time when someone is trying to act smart and says saying stupid, as a real Nigerian, you just say “Mbok, shut up”
2. Wawu Because saying “Wow” is too mainstream! We are Africans, we love to add our own sweet twists to things, so “Wawu” is the slang when you hear or see something too interesting.
3. Iffa Hear When we just don’t accept something, we either argue on and on or just say “If i Hear”. That’s a slang for when we totally disagree with something.
4. Gbana Because Marijuana sounds too serious, we just relax and call it “Gbana”. 5. Negodu This literally means “Look at This”, an Igbo word that turned into a sweet slang. It is the correct slang we use when someone is saying and doing too much nonsense. “This one thinks he is fine, negodu!”
6. Jand Popularly used in place of “abroad”, when a person travels out of the country, then we say they have “Janded” but no worries, they will all be coming home now that Trump has won the Election.
7. Biko This one is sister to “Mbok”, only that it’s the igbo version. Everything rude, dismissive and sweet sometimes, starts and ends with the slang. Like that time when you are scrolling through your Twitter feed and you see your ex’s tweet “Biko Shift!”
8. Fall Hand This means “disappointment” on every level, when you are expecting something great to come out of something and you get hit with a bad news, then whatever it is just “Fall Your Hand”
9. Park Well Our way of telling someone to get his act straight and face his business, when people try to disturb us or do stupid things, we simply tell them to park well.
10. Go and Sit Down Everybody annoys everybody these days, we’ve got the perfect slang for this, when someone is just not making any sense, we love to use the slang “Go and sit down”, literally; that means they have nothing good to say and they are looking stupid standing up. Slangs are the little things we use to make a gist more interesting, Nigerians absolutely love these slangs.
Kindly drop your opinion in the comment section below, just in case we missed out your favourite slang.
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2017
grin

WAWU...

I'm learning some new words wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by leobrownish(m): 2:57pm On Jan 20, 2017
konji------>>> being Hot as in sexually aroused
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Davidhero(m): 3:00pm On Jan 20, 2017
Csl... Never new what Negodu meant. But heard it severally.
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by queenitee(f): 3:13pm On Jan 20, 2017
Cool slangs..Iffa hear,fall hand,Gbana and Biko are mine
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by ken19: 7:19pm On Jan 21, 2017
Davidhero:
Csl... Never new what Negodu meant. But heard it severally.
means...just take a look!
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Davidhero(m): 7:29pm On Jan 21, 2017
ken19:
means...just take a look!
Aye! Thanks...grin
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by kkash: 2:27am On Jan 22, 2017
TrapQueen77:
grin

WAWU...

I'm learning some new words wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by ken19: 1:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
[quote author=kkash post=53018964]

grin
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Rexia(f): 1:57am On Feb 05, 2018
Well they sound kinda funny and weird to me.Maybe it's because I'm not used to it.I'm used to my own pidgin.
Re: Nigerian Slangs And Their Meanings by Teacher1776(m): 6:30am On Feb 05, 2018
Davidhero:
Csl...
Never new what Negodu meant. But heard it severally.

Me too. Now I know it.

(1) (Reply)

New Chelsea Boss After Benitez In The Summer. . . (picture) / Sharp Guy Lol / PATIENCE JONATHAN'S TOP 15 Queen's english quotes,......crack Ya By ribs!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.