Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,619 members, 7,827,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? (43032 Views)

OAU Vs UNILAG- Students Battle Each Other On Twitter / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU / OAU Students Celebrate Their Costume Day In Style. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 22, 2017
obaeko:

#Katangite

Join me at quadrangle to share some bottles

I spent my second and fourth years in Indy hall , great hall back then but the boys wey dey the hall then get craze small
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by promisengr(m): 10:01pm On Jan 22, 2017
I have a feeling this thread will run for a long time.Now, back to the question, i won't vote for any because i haven't been to any and am not keen to research on it.Also because of the boastful nature of their products with nothing to show for their claims except for their usual boastful words.
So having written this, i rest my case and will visit this thread whenever i have spare data and time. By the way, i represent Uniport and with the knowledge am picking up from the school and my God given strength and resilience i will make my mark. Not by words but by deeds.

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by bigerboy200: 10:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lumig:
From my perspective, it depends on your course of study. I can't pick UI over OAU in Engineering and likewise OAU over UI in Medical Sciences[though very close] for example. They are best in their own ways...
best response so far... proudly UI tho....but watch out for covenant..they are taking over..

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Stchidex64: 11:07pm On Jan 22, 2017
bayooooooo:
I don't know enough about OAU to make an informed comparison between the two.
A lot of comments are just long-held perceptions. But since I graduated from UI, I would just summarize those things I liked while I was there:

1. I did not buy hand-outs. As a matter of fact, UI had perhaps still has a policy against selling of hand-outs. Typically, I took notes in class and then went to Kenneth Dike library to write detailed notes using good textbooks. I used to hear stories of mark for handouts in other universities etc, but it never happened in UI or I did not witness it.

2. I never took a class that was taught by one lecturer; the least was two. In my first year in UI, six lecturers taught CHE 157, four of which were professors. Infact, at the end of my first year, I was taught by twenty one professors. The point I am making is, it is difficult to influence grades in UI. You would have to bribe so many professors or lecturers to do achieve that. Plus, experts tend to teach classes to the benefit of students. Since each lecturer would write at least a question, it could be daunting taking a class taught by six teachers. In some universities, you would not be taught by professors except in your final year.

3. UI exams are pretty well structured and competently administered. Never for once did I hear of any leak. Plus, exams results were promptly displayed at the end of each semester. It's extremely rare for a script to get lost or something. And at the beginning of each session, a copy of your transcript is needed to register. It is always a big surprise to me when people from other schools discover carry overs from 100 level that they didn't know until final year.

4.Lecturer to student ratio is good. There are departments where you have just twenty students (in each level) and lecturers know each by the first name. UI does not admit beyond its carrying capacity. You learn more, bond more and have room to ask questions. This factor explains why UI graduates always get mobilized for NYSC immediately after graduation.

5. Accommodation is good. In my first year, we were three in a room( Mellanby hall). In final year, only two students were in a room (D block). Electricity was stable. I remember people laughing at me when I brought stove and lantern in 100 Level. I did use the stove two or three times, but there was no need for it. Plus, each hall has a reading room which I used to my benefit. There is a common room where we watched premiership matches on Saturdays and Sundays, and movies on weekdays.

6. UI is fairly well secured. I used to go to the social sciences, faculty of agriculture or law to read at night, and would not be back to my room until 3am. You see people around, reading with their girlfriends etc. I was never for once afraid or threatened walking at night in UI. Cultism was not that pronounced, we heard about cult crises at Ibadan poly almost on weekly basis but had no impact on UI.

7. Social life is good for the what's up type. I participated in faculty politics and was into many clubs on campus. Off campus, there is a lot to explore in Ibadan. Plus, UI shares boundary with Ibadan Poly. We used to go there to bring girls.

8. Facilities were aging but still manageable. There was just one ASUU warning strike of about one or two weeks throughout my studies. There were more postgraduate students than undergraduates in my department. Fees were reasonable. In my first year, I paid 12005 plus about 2000 at the department and faculty level. Subsequent years, I paid in total about the same fees, accommodation included. Without accommodation, 4500 or thereabout for the whole session.

9.The quality of students was extremely high, almost every good student was a local champion in their respective secondary schools and the competition was real and intense. UI is a school where if you study smart and hard, you get good grades. No influence, nothing. Plus, if you don't put in the efforts and your CGPA fall below a certain value, you're asked to leave. UI publishes a tsunami list every session where students who can't cope are asked to leave. I put in the efforts and graduated with a first class honours and on top of my faculty. Many of my friends graduated with first class too. All tales of wicked lecturer from other universities were not applicable; there were hard classes with just one or two people having A but on the whole it was a great experience for me.

10. So, in things that matter like school reputation, UI is good. Academic, research and scholastic achievements: UI, as far as Nigeria is concerned, is excellent. Infact, UI is virtually a postgraduate university and you can't become one if your academic and research reputation is sub-par. Facilities: also within Nigeria, UI is still good. Quality of students: UI competes with a handful of schools for the best students Nigeria has on offer.

11. In humanities, I don't think any school in Nigeria can outperform UI in history, comparative literature, language and communication arts, linguistics etc. The same is true of core social sciences like political science, geography and economics. No school in Nigeria can easily edge out UI in core sciences like chemistry, physics and mathematics. UI's geology is also highly rated. In health sciences, UI's medicine, pharmacy and physiotherapy are highly regarded. UI engineering is good and competitive but I don't expect it to be on the same par with specialties school like FUTA et al.

Pls bro,I'll like to be in touch..a fresher in pharmacy...BTW,please what course did u study?
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 1:51am On Jan 23, 2017
I see no basis for comparison. I have had the privilege of studying in both universities. The only area I believe UI may beat OAU is in the available student facilities, which ofcourse should be a main priority for any sane university. I spent more time of my life in OAU but I'm sorry to say in this age, unnecessary stress and harshness is not a criteria for producing bright graduates. What if the brilliant students stop making OAU a school of choice. Management should know that graduates of all Nigerian institutions are going to the same market (national and international). Focus on your students, improve on facilities and stop all these fake I -am -better- than- you attitudes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Handsomecole(m): 8:54am On Jan 23, 2017
I've Carefully read most comments. I have been to UI before, the major reason some people say UI is better than OAU is the fact that UI environment is serene and quite , their hostels better managed and the fact that it's a Premier University and all these are not criteria to say UI is better than OAU.

let's face the fact Obafemi Awolowo University , remains the only public higher institution in Nigeria which your security is guaranteed. It remains the only school which people can walk freely day and night without any fear or form of harrasment .

Structure wise, we all know that , it's most beautiful campus in Africa. Even the school gates alone will tell you more.

Talk about socio-political and intellectual consciousness every OAU student is sound in that aspect and cannot be intimidated by anyone. It remains the school that Political leaders are scared off because the students cannot be cajoled.
Talk about social life, OAU is too academic inclined but not withstanding the social life is always there, for those who are interested. We've had so many notable celebrities in music and movie both upcoming and established who graduated from OAU, the likes of Chinko, Arole, etc.

Politicians nko!!! It's on record that the major contestants in Ondo election graduated from OAU,infact major political office holders in Ondo State are products of OAU, Senator Oluremi Tinubu is a product of OAU and many others no school in Nigeria can have such.

Academic wise, that's where you get the "hitler" treatment, it's fire for fire. You compete among the best of the best, you get smoked in fire we have many students who drop out from OAU simply because of the Academic stress. No lecturer asks for bribe or watever to pass, it's strictly by what you know.

Fashion wise, when you step into OAU u have this feel like ure in a foreign University due to their unique fashion sense , infact we have some quite number of whites as students in OAU.

OAU might have some management problems and administrative problems most especially in result processing which I must admit.

But, the fact is UI has never and never be better than OAU. The Obafemi Awolowo University "Oba Awon University "

Go and ask recruiters, they will tell you more.

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by zagadat1: 10:23am On Jan 23, 2017
Handsomecole:
I've Carefully read most comments. I have been to UI before, the major reason some people say UI is better than OAU is the fact that UI environment is serene and quite , their hostels better managed and the fact that it's a Premier University and all these are not criteria to say UI is better than OAU.

let's face the fact Obafemi Awolowo University , remains the only public higher institution in Nigeria which your security is guaranteed. It remains the only school which people can walk freely day and night without any fear or form of harrasment .

Structure wise, we all know that , it's most beautiful campus in Africa. Even the school gates alone will tell you more.

Talk about socio-political and intellectual consciousness every OAU student is sound in that aspect and cannot be intimidated by anyone. It remains the school that Political leaders are scared off because the students cannot be cajoled.
Talk about social life, OAU is too academic inclined but not withstanding the social life is always there, for those who are interested. We've had so many notable celebrities in music and movie both upcoming and established who graduated from OAU, the likes of Chinko, Arole, etc.

Politicians nko!!! It's on record that the major contestants in Ondo election graduated from OAU,infact major political office holders in Ondo State are products of OAU, Senator Oluremi Tinubu is a product of OAU and many others no school in Nigeria can have such.

Academic wise, that's where you get the "hitler" treatment, it's fire for fire. You compete among the best of the best, you get smoked in fire we have many students who drop out from OAU simply because of the Academic stress. No lecturer asks for bribe or watever to pass, it's strictly by what you know.

Fashion wise, when you step into OAU u have this feel like ure in a foreign University due to their unique fashion sense , infact we have some quite number of whites as students in OAU.

OAU might have some management problems and administrative problems most especially in result processing which I must admit.

But, the fact is UI has never and never be better than OAU. The Obafemi Awolowo University "Oba Awon University "

keep deceiving yourself... carry oau/ui or any oda uni certificate with an empty brain and see which job you wil get. Ask recruiters ko... recruiters don wise up its not about which school u finised from but what you can offer better than other applicants.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by zagadat1: 10:23am On Jan 23, 2017
Handsomecole:

Academic wise, that's where you get the "hitler" treatment, it's fire for fire. You compete among the best of the best, you get smoked in fire we have many students who drop out from OAU simply because of the Academic stress. No lecturer asks for bribe or whatever to pass, it's strictly by what you know.

keep deceiving yourself... carry oau/ui or any oda uni certificate with an empty brain and see which job you wil get. Ask recruiters ko... recruiters don wise up its not about which school u finished from but what you can offer better than other applicants.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 11:50am On Jan 23, 2017
oau has been d best and will always be the best. imagine a university ranked in first place 5 times consecutively(referring to the cybermetics ranking of universities by a lab in Spain). Not to even talk of d numerous number of great alumus oau has produced lyk jimoh Ibrahim, femi otedola, femi falana to mention a few. though I admit d accusations of unstable academic calendar nd poor hostel conditions but dat doesn't affect its being the best university.
great Ife!!!
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 11:58am On Jan 23, 2017
Malolu:
I see no basis for comparison. I have had the privilege of studying in both universities. The only area I believe UI may beat OAU is in the available student facilities, which ofcourse should be a main priority for any sane university. I spent more time of my life in OAU but I'm sorry to say in this age, unnecessary stress and harshness is not a criteria for producing bright graduates. What if the brilliant students stop making OAU a school of choice. Management should know that graduates of all Nigerian institutions are going to the same market (national and international). Focus on your students, improve on facilities and stop all these fake I -am -better- than- you attitudes.
it's not possible for brilliant students not to make a university like oau as their choice. let me tell u, that is d law of nature-the best will always go for the best... or where do u expect the brilliant ones to attend, poly abi? next time think deeply before u post about a delicate topic like this

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by horpeyemmi66(m): 3:57pm On Jan 23, 2017
mat2d6boi:
oau has been d best and will always be the best. imagine a university ranked in first place 5 times consecutively(referring to the cybermetics ranking of universities by a lab in Spain). Not to even talk of d numerous number of great alumus oau has produced lyk jimoh Ibrahim, femi otedola, femi falana to mention a few. though I admit d accusations of unstable academic calendar nd poor hostel conditions but dat doesn't affect its being the best university.
great Ife!!!

If the University of Ibadan should begin listing her Alumni, do you feel OAU stands a chance?

Here are some of ours at the University of Ibadan:

- Iyabo Obasanjo Bello (Daughter of Former President; Olusegun Obasanjo)
- Femi Osofisan (Novelist)
- Wole Soyinka (Poet)
- Chinua Achebe (Novelist)
- Dr Sid (Artiste)
- Sunday Ehindero (Former Police Commissioner)
- William Kumuyi ((Pastor; Deeper Life Bible Church)
- Olagunsoye Oyinlola ( Former Governor, Osun state)
- Niyi Osundare (Novelist)
- Afeez Oyetoro (Actor)
- Gamaliel Onosode( Technocrat and Administrator)
- Christopher Okigbo (Artist)
- Bimbo Odukoya (Late Pastor; Singles and Married)
- Nikki Laoye (Artiste, Singer, Song writer)
- Eyitayo Lambo (Former Minister of Health)
- Funmi Iyanda (Broadcaster and TV Anchor of the defunct New Dawn)
- Amaka Igwe (Movie producer, Director)
- Adebayo Faleti (Vintage Actor)
- Tam David West (Academic, Social Critic and Former Minister)
- Beautiful Nubia (Artiste)
- Eniola Badmus (Actress)
- Grace Alele Williams (1st Female Nigerian VC)
- Bimbo Akintola (Actress)
- Gabriel Afolayan (Actor)
- Ayo Adesanya (Actress)

Essentially and succinctly put, we do not make inconsequential noise at UI. The track record speaks for itself. Just accept it as it is.

When a student tells you he/she is a student at the University of Ibadan...you just accord that respect.

Ko easy.

4 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Pasca07: 4:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
horpeyemmi66:

If the University of Ibadan should begin listing her Alumni, do you feel OAU stands a chance?

- Iyabo Obasanjo Bello
- Femi Osofisan
- Wole Soyinka
- Chinua Achebe
- Dr Sid
- Sunday Ehindero
- William Kumuyi
- Olagunsoye Oyinlola
- Niyi Osundare
- Afeez Oyetoro (Simply Saka)
- Gamaliel Onosode
- Christopher Okigbo
- Bimbo Odukoya
- Nikki Laoye
- Eyitayo Lambo
- Funmi Iyanda
- Amaka Igwe
- Adebayo Faleti
- Tam David West
- Beautiful Nubia
- Eniola Badmus
- Grace Alele Williams
- Bimbo Akintola
- Gabriel Afolayan
- Ayo Adesanya

Essentially and succinctly put, we do not make inconsequential noise at UI. The track record speaks for itself. Just accept it as it is.

When a student tells you he/she is a student at the University of Ibadan...you just accord that respect.

Ko easy.
chai see the way you finished the guy.. you are right they are noise maker

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 5:44pm On Jan 23, 2017
horpeyemmi66:

- Iyabo Obasanjo Bello
- Femi Osofisan
- Wole Soyinka
- Chinua Achebe
- Dr Sid
- Sunday Ehindero
- William Kumuyi
- Olagunsoye Oyinlola
- Niyi Osundare
- Gamaliel Onosode
- Christopher Okigbo
- Bimbo Odukoya
- Nikki Laoye
- Eyitayo Lambo
- Funmi Iyanda
- Amaka Igwe
- Adebayo Faleti
- Tam David West
- Beautiful Nubia
- Eniola Badmus
- Grace Alele Williams
- Bimbo Akintola
- Gabriel Afolayan
- Ayo Adesanya

Ko easy.
I listed 3 alumnus just to mention a few of the numerous as I said:
let me give u the few among them nd compare -
femi otedola_billionaire
femi falana_lawyer
jimoh Ibrahim_billionaire
olagunsoye oyinlola_fmr gov OSUN state
Lai Muhammed_min of inf.
femi adesina_spe adv to buhari
adebayo shittu_min of comm
rotimi akeredolu_gov candidate
dele momodu_businessman
biyi bandele_writer
Afeez ayetoro_actor
olusegun mimiko_governor
Sarah alade_cbn gov
Jimi agbaje_gov candidate
oluremi tinubu_wife of bola tinubu
abike dabiri_member house of reps
Alexander akinyele_fmr min of inf
olusegun Oni_fmr gov ekiti state
ibukun awosika_chairman fbn
adenike adenowo_face of arch in nig
Babalola borishade_fmr min of aviation
fidelis oyakhilome_fmr gov rivers state
etc....to infinity
correction on urs: oyinlola nd Saka ar frm OAU not UI
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 5:48pm On Jan 23, 2017
Pasca07:
chai see the way you finished the guy.. you are right they are noise maker
chai! just see d way I finished the both of u defending UI, eeyah! next tym don't play with the lion's tail, you hear?
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Thollex(m): 5:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
horpeyemmi66:

- Iyabo Obasanjo Bello
- Femi Osofisan
- Wole Soyinka
- Chinua Achebe
- Dr Sid
- Sunday Ehindero
- William Kumuyi
- Olagunsoye Oyinlola
- Niyi Osundare
- Gamaliel Onosode
- Christopher Okigbo
- Bimbo Odukoya
- Nikki Laoye
- Eyitayo Lambo
- Funmi Iyanda
- Amaka Igwe
- Adebayo Faleti
- Tam David West
- Beautiful Nubia
- Eniola Badmus
- Grace Alele Williams
- Bimbo Akintola
- Gabriel Afolayan
- Ayo Adesanya

Ko easy.
horpeyemmi66:

- Iyabo Obasanjo Bello
- Femi Osofisan
- Wole Soyinka
- Chinua Achebe
- Dr Sid
- Sunday Ehindero
- William Kumuyi
- Olagunsoye Oyinlola
- Niyi Osundare
- Gamaliel Onosode
- Christopher Okigbo
- Bimbo Odukoya
- Nikki Laoye
- Eyitayo Lambo
- Funmi Iyanda
- Amaka Igwe
- Adebayo Faleti
- Tam David West
- Beautiful Nubia
- Eniola Badmus
- Grace Alele Williams
- Bimbo Akintola
- Gabriel Afolayan
- Ayo Adesanya

Ko easy.
horpeyemmi66:

- Iyabo Obasanjo Bello
- Femi Osofisan
- Wole Soyinka
- Chinua Achebe
- Dr Sid
- Sunday Ehindero
- William Kumuyi
- Olagunsoye Oyinlola
- Niyi Osundare
- Gamaliel Onosode
- Christopher Okigbo
- Bimbo Odukoya
- Nikki Laoye
- Eyitayo Lambo
- Funmi Iyanda
- Amaka Igwe
- Adebayo Faleti
- Tam David West
- Beautiful Nubia
- Eniola Badmus
- Grace Alele Williams
- Bimbo Akintola
- Gabriel Afolayan
- Ayo Adesanya

Ko easy.

University of Ibadan reppin NAIJA since inception...

OAU no fit see draw near UI alumni
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 6:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
Thollex:

University of Ibadan reppin NAIJA since inception...

OAU no fit see draw near UI alumni
check very well in d page u will see the list of a few of oau alumni I listed nd compare;
orun o she fi we iku( can't compare sleep with death)
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Pasca07: 8:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
mat2d6boi:
chai! just see d way I finished the both of u defending UI, eeyah! next tym don't play with the lion's tail, you hear?
finished who?which lion tail?hahahah majority of those people you listed there are criminals that can't be proud of infact they are disgrace to OAU.....

3 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by horpeyemmi66(m): 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
mat2d6boi:

See, you are just a noise maker...Even the so called OAU was once a liaison of the University of Ibadan; Same goes for UNILORIN and UNIJOS.

We do not have to vaunt and brag...we at UI go straight to the point.

Being 801st in the world isn't a Child's Play. We are basically rubbing shoulders with giants around the world; we clinched that when you guys at Ile ife were still recuperating from your 6 months mid-semster break.

We aren't out to eat buildings or landscape...landscapes and beautiful structures are not a language of productivity.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mercytripletz: 9:45pm On Jan 23, 2017
There is one thing I dislike about OAU guys. They will expect someone to support their school no matter what... UI guys no dey make mouth.
I was once talking to someone why I love UI and why I don't think I can choose OAU. One olofofo OAU guy be like "So you failed the post utme abi? or did any of your family members got expelled due to bad grades"? I swear, I was angry because he didn't even know I was just fresh from high school. Later, I wrote UTME and Post UTME once anyways. There are many of his types on nairaland and even on this thread..
Unilorin and OAU be like 5&6.

3 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
Truth b told,Oau cannot b compared with UI in any form,u can not compare d standard of Oau in terms of academic, religious, political and social activities wit dat of UI.Asides frm d unstable academic calendar dat scare candidates away frm Oau, UI is still coming behind Oau,OAU products command more respect in d outside world as compared to UI products.Although i attended neither of d two schools,but I would prefer Oau to UI.

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 10:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
beeolhar:
Truth b told,Oau cannot b compared with UI in any form,u can not compare d standard of Oau in terms of academic, religious, political and social activities wit dat of UI.Asides frm d unstable academic calendar dat scare candidates away frm Oau, UI is still coming behind Oau,OAU products command more respect in d outside world as compared to UI products.Although i attended neither of d two schools,but I would prefer Oau to UI.
waa gbayi jare! great Ife!!!
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 23, 2017
mat2d6boi:
I listed 3 alumnus just to mention a few of the numerous as I said:
let me give u the few among them nd compare -
femi otedola_billionaire
femi falana_lawyer
jimoh Ibrahim_billionaire
olagunsoye oyinlola_fmr gov OSUN state
Lai Muhammed_min of inf.
femi adesina_spe adv to buhari
adebayo shittu_min of comm
rotimi akeredolu_gov candidate
dele momodu_businessman
biyi bandele_writer
Afeez ayetoro_actor
olusegun mimiko_governor
Sarah alade_cbn gov
Jimi agbaje_gov candidate
oluremi tinubu_wife of bola tinubu
abike dabiri_member house of reps
Alexander akinyele_fmr min of inf
olusegun Oni_fmr gov ekiti state
ibukun awosika_chairman fbn
adenike adenowo_face of arch in nig
Babalola borishade_fmr min of aviation
fidelis oyakhilome_fmr gov rivers state
etc....to infinity
correction on urs: oyinlola nd Saka ar frm OAU not UI
Why are they mostly politicians.

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by neurosci: 10:40pm On Jan 23, 2017
beeolhar:

Lmao, where do you guys hear statements such as this? In the outside world, no one knows the difference between UNILAG and Adeleke University, or between OAU and Oduduwa University. All universities in Nigeria are considered the same abroad. Try moving out of Nigeria and see for yourself. Or by "outside world", do you mean the OAU campus?

Having said that; within Nigeria there seems to be more prestige for OAU graduates of Law than UI graduates of Law. And there seems to be more prestige for UI graduates of Medicine than OAU graduates of Medicine. Let me stop at those two courses.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 6:22am On Jan 24, 2017
neurosci:

Lmao, where do you guys hear statements such as this? In the outside world, no one knows the difference between UNILAG and Adeleke University, or between OAU and Oduduwa University. All universities in Nigeria are considered the same abroad. Try moving out of Nigeria and see for yourself. Or by "outside world", do you mean the OAU campus?

Having said that; within Nigeria there seems to be more prestige for OAU graduates of Law than UI graduates of Law. And there seems to be more prestige for UI graduates of Medicine than OAU graduates of Medicine. Let me stop at those two courses.
so are you trying to point that oau is not recognized as a unique university outside 9ja? don't you hear of the amazing performances some distinguished oau graduates make while outside the country.... better find out

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Pasca07: 7:49am On Jan 24, 2017
mat2d6boi:
so are you trying to point that oau is not recognized as a unique university outside 9ja? don't you hear of the amazing performances some distinguished oau graduates make while outside the country.... better find out
Majority of Nigeria universities graduates performed excellently abroad including private universities there is nothing unique about OAU outside Nigeria...The only recognize university in Nigeria is The premier university which ranks top 800plus in the world university ranking......

4 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by LaReve: 5:30pm On Jan 26, 2017
Good evening.. Joining this thread late and I must say I have seen a lot of interesting if sentimental views from both parties. Let me contribute my quota by making a critical analysis of some of the earlier comments.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by LaReve: 6:03pm On Jan 26, 2017
dharrey2012:
I had my BSc in OAU, it was not easy because it really was a rigorous ordeal. I am on the verge of completing my MSc programme in Ui. the truth is Ui teaches very well at all levels, OAU does not.
In OAU, you compete for everything with the best of the bests, which makes you wise up, and prepares you for anything life brings.

Ui is filled with babies, social life next to zero, they treat students like zombie that must be controlled, that sure doesn't happen in OAU.

From your submission, one can infer that you experienced oau undergraduate and ui postgraduate teaching methodology (not oau undergraduate and ui undergraduate or oau postgraduate and ui postgraduate).. your comparison therefore of oau and ui teaching systems is therefore bound to be faulty. . Here is why

1)you said ui teaches better than oau on all levels.. I can't see a viable premise on you make that assertion
Seing as you didn't experience ui undergraduate teaching methodology so as to be able to compare it to ife's or experience oau postgraduate teaching methodology so as to be able to compare it to that of ibadan's

Based on your experience.. You can only compare ui postgraduate teaching methodology (which you experienced) to oau undergraduate teaching methodology (which you also experienced) that comparison, you will agree with me is faulty Seing as most Universities up their game when it comes to teaching postgraduates relative to undergraduate teaching. . So my submission is.. You are in no position to make the assertion 'ui teaches better than oau on all levels) that's for someone who has experienced both systems in their totality to make. . You sir are not that person
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by LaReve: 6:31pm On Jan 26, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

Go and ask about other schools. They have GS building which offer this courses(Electives SEO,SEE,SET,SER,SEL,SEM) and why must they keeping using all lecture venues without having theirs.

You are the one who did not graduate from OAU because law Students from part one to Four occupy HSLT C and Sontimes B. They occupy BOOC, Boob and Booa. My dear you are blind self and I doubt if you did attend OAU self. Ask MTH Students who offer MTH 201 and 202 which lecture theatre they normally Use? It's always HSLT C which is a Lecture venue that ought to be used by Health Science Students making them end up using Labs know as MDL's. My dear ask question and I think you are not a Student or a graduate of OAU.

Well about this, I must first make a comment on your online integrity which I believe will be enlightening..
On going through your chat history, one discovers that you have, at various times, claimed to be
1)a medical student at ui
2)a health care worker at Lagos University teaching hospital
3)a 2016 2-1 graduate of oau
One wonders what that says about the various 'facts' you post online.. Anyway back to the issue..
You posts are an excellent verification of the axiom 'a little learning (in your case knowlege) is a dangerous thing'

1)your submission that health Sciences students are forced to use 'old labs known as MDLs Due to mth 201 students using hsltC shows how acutely little you know of the scenario)

First MDLs stand for Multi disciplinary labs. . It is part of the college of health Sciences and is used for their practical sessions. It is not an 'old lab' as it was thoroughly renovated in 2015 by college Alumni.. And health Sciences students use it for practical sessions and not because hslt is unavailable. (you wouldn't expect practical sessions to be held in a lecture theatre would you?)health Sciences students are given priority regarding the use of hslts. . Other departments only use them when it is not currently in use by health Sciences students.. no one forces them out as you would have us believe

2)besides as for oau students in various faculties wandering about because they have no place to contain them is erroneous at best.. Every class at the begining of the semester is alloted a venue and time.. You might have seen students moving from one lecture to another holding at different venues and concluded they have no place to stay.. that's erroneous. Every faculty has lecture theatres which are mostly used by their students with other students also using it at certain times. . Law students lectures holding at various venues instead of a single venue is neither in it self a good or bad thing.. The main issue is that every lecture has a venue.. Ppl don't roam about

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by LaReve: 6:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
Longman6:
I find it difficult to reconcile the sayings of certain individuals here and the realities on ground. on what basis are you comparing UI and OAU?UI has a better academic calendar than OAU,UI is fast becoming a fully fledged postgraduate institution with an dmission ratio of 65% postgraduate and 36% undergraduate, No university in Nigeria can attempt this especially in a school like OAU where a lot of MR's are lecturers. May i add that the university of Ibadan has produced the highest number of PHD graduates some of whom are lecturers in OAU.

When it comes to lecturers-student ratio, i dont think i have to compare statistics here
I finished from Ui in feb 2015 and finished NYSC in April 2016, You should ask my mates who went to OAU how NYSC is coming on.

UI is so merit driven that the present Dean of the faculty of Law is a lecturer from OAU, this is in a faculty that has lots of professors.That is yet to occur in OAU, the present Dean of the faculty of pharmacy was formerly in OAU. My point? UI attracts the best without disregard for merit or selfish egos.

While it is difficult to compare the values of their research papers and level of social impact, i take refuge in the international university ranking that has consistently placed UI ahead of OAU.

OAU is hard,unnecessary stressful and too traditional but UI is has direct approach to learning, the lecturers are student friendly, you can break barriers in UI if you are brilliant.

Note: Nigeria's educational system is noting to write home about but i rather not put OAU ahead of UI, i think Covenant might beat UI few decades from now

This post also shows very little knowledge about ife. .
A ui student possibly you also claimed he was taught by 21 professors in his first session at ui. . Well I am not disputing that ui possibly has the highest number of professors in Nigeria but saying a lot of MRs are lecturers in oau and implying that ife has few professors is extremely fallacious..

Ife has 13 faculties. .in refuting your assertion I shall be using as my case study one of the smaller (in terms of students directly catered for size) faculties in oau.. The faculty of clinical Sciences.. This faculty caters majorly for the Part 4-6 medical students. . As at 2013, it had around 24-26 full professors.. (this can be verified by clicking on the staff page of that faculty webpage) . A certain number were also named professors in that faculty last year by the acting vice chancellor (this hasnt reflected on the webpage yet I believe) bringing the total number to around 30.. You can now imagine how many professors bigger and older faculties like science art et al would have.. . In my part one first semester

Zoo 101..2/3 of the lecturers were professors 1 doc
Ssc 101.. 1/3 of the lecturers were profs 1 doc 1 Mr
Chm 101..5 out of 7 of the lecturers were profs the rest docs
Phy 105... don't have the exact number but around 4-5 with only one Mr and the rest doctors
Bot 101....around 3 profs..

This brings to around 15-16 the total number of profs in my first semester at oau.. .

So while ui has the most number of profs in the nation.. Ife will place top 4 among schools with highest number of profs in Nigeria
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Donnetimmy(m): 7:01pm On Jan 26, 2017
Interesting , I must say
Without being sentimental, I'm a student of OAU, but I respect UI a lot.
In terms of infrastructures: OAU
Research work: I'll give it to UI
Alumni: I can't tell
Academic Calendar: UI
Sociopolitical life: OAU

UI is ahead of OAU in most science related courses- the college of medicine in UI is the best in the country.

OAU however beats UI in law and hummanites. OAU law faculty alongside with UNILAG is the best in the country.

UI Postgraduate is unarguably the best in the country.

The two schools are really good, like someone said " The Messi and Ronaldo of Nigerian universities."
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by LaReve: 7:10pm On Jan 26, 2017
Longman6:
I find it difficult to reconcile the sayings of certain individuals here and the realities on ground. on what basis are you comparing UI and OAU?UI has a better academic calendar than OAU,UI is fast becoming a fully fledged postgraduate institution with an dmission ratio of 65% postgraduate and 36% undergraduate, No university in Nigeria can attempt this especially in a school like OAU where a lot of MR's are lecturers. May i add that the university of Ibadan has produced the highest number of PHD graduates some of whom are lecturers in OAU.

When it comes to lecturers-student ratio, i dont think i have to compare statistics here
I finished from Ui in feb 2015 and finished NYSC in April 2016, You should ask my mates who went to OAU how NYSC is coming on.

UI is so merit driven that the present Dean of the faculty of Law is a lecturer from OAU, this is in a faculty that has lots of professors.That is yet to occur in OAU, the present Dean of the faculty of pharmacy was formerly in OAU. My point? UI attracts the best without disregard for merit or selfish egos.

While it is difficult to compare the values of their research papers and level of social impact, i take refuge in the international university ranking that has consistently placed UI ahead of OAU.

OAU is hard,unnecessary stressful and too traditional but UI is has direct approach to learning, the lecturers are student friendly, you can break barriers in UI if you are brilliant.

Note: Nigeria's educational system is noting to write home about but i rather not put OAU ahead of UI, i think Covenant might beat UI few decades from now

An addendum, that ife current dean of pharmacy studied in ife doesn't mean ife is not merit driven.. It's common knowledge ife has the best pharmacy school in the nation so it would naturally opt for it product to head it.. In the same vein ui college of Medicine is headed by a ui trained medical professor.

And comparing both schools..

UI medical school is rated the best in the country closely followed by oau unilag unn possibly uniben and abu

Oau pharmacy is the best in the nation
Ife law is rated ahead of ui. . Ui law is prestigious too
Ife engineering started ahead of ui and is rated better than it

I don't have enough data on the science rating of both schools to compare there..

Arts.. Ife and ui are both highly rated I would go for a tie there

Student comfort... Ui leads there

Overall... It's a close call and just as it is when rating messi and Ronaldo, a definitive answer is difficult to reach

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Beautiful South African Lady Celebrates Herself As She Became A Private Pilot / Help, I'm Afraid I Could Be Expelled From School After 3 Years / Pandemonium In Edo Following Discovery Of Grave Inside Classroom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.