Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,556 members, 7,816,345 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? (42827 Views)

OAU Vs UNILAG- Students Battle Each Other On Twitter / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU / OAU Students Celebrate Their Costume Day In Style. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Basic123: 8:16pm On Jan 26, 2017
Donnetimmy:
Interesting , I must say
Without being sentimental, I'm a student of OAU, but I respect UI a lot.
In terms of infrastructures: OAU
Research work: I'll give it to UI
Alumni: I can't tell
Academic Calendar: UI
Sociopolitical life: OAU

UI is ahead of OAU in most science related courses- the college of medicine in UI is the best in the country.

OAU however beats UI in law and hummanites. OAU law faculty alongside with UNILAG is the best in the country.

UI Postgraduate is unarguably the best in the country.

The two schools are really good, like someone said " The Messi and Ronaldo of Nigerian universities."
...OAU humanities above U.I?...I beg to disagree.where we have femi osofisan,niyi osundare,JP clark,emeka anyaoku,gamaliel onosande of this world.

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 8:47pm On Jan 26, 2017
Pasca07:
finished who?which lion tail?hahahah majority of those people you listed there are criminals that can't be proud of infact they are disgrace to OAU.....
Pele ooo, are you the one that convicted them as criminals and people are praying to be like them, then how is yours. you don't need to be jealous, just simply give in. it seems you didn't expect such from oau, but it came as a shocker!
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 27, 2017
mat2d6boi:
it's not possible for brilliant students not to make a university like oau as their choice. let me tell u, that is d law of nature-the best will always go for the best... or where do u expect the brilliant ones to attend, poly abi? next time think deeply before u post about a delicate topic like this

uhmnn, who says Polytechnics are made for dullards? See young man, it's only because of the state of our educational system that we have those places non functioning as expected. What impacts are the "technology" students in your school making in this 21st century. Goan read ur book and cram it well grin grin

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by mat2d6boi(m): 10:08pm On Jan 27, 2017
Malolu:

uhmnn, who says Polytechnics are made for dullards? See young man, it's only because of the state of our educational system that we have those places non functioning as expected. What impacts are the "technology" students in your school making in this 21st century. Goan read ur book and cram it well grin grin
bro I didn't intend to condemn Polytechnics but what I just wanted the guy I replied to realise is that he should know how students make their choice and I withdraw what I said about Polytechnics. am very sorry I didn't mean to downgrade poly, I too know that success depends on individual handwork no matter where one graduates from.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 10:56am On Jan 31, 2017
Ximenez:
Even those 3000 will still roam the school to receive lectures in various lecture theaters, unless they have special theaters for fresmen in a particular place that can't be used by other students.
yes they do...... it's called cbn lec
ture theatre

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by omiaruk: 12:58pm On May 16, 2017
OAU is unecesarrily stressful.. . UI please.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Dellybanky(m): 9:42pm On May 16, 2017
omiaruk:
OAU is unecesarrily stressful.. . UI please.
pls can i secure admission into UI with 247 and 3-b3s 1-A and 1-C5 for dental surgery
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by omiaruk: 6:32am On May 17, 2017
Dellybanky:
pls can i secure admission into UI with 247 and 3-b3s 1-A and 1-C5 for dental surgery
I can't say. Hope you're choosing dental because you love it and not because you want to be the doctor tag? I wish you well
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Dellybanky(m): 8:21am On May 17, 2017
omiaruk:
I can't say. Hope you're choosing dental because you love it and not because you want to be the doctor tag? I wish you well
thanks
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by BenZyncla(m): 2:13pm On May 17, 2017
Are you interested in earning good residual income in Real Estate any times you get people that acquire any genuine estate property/land? Many do this aside their regular jobs and earns good 6 digits and millions in such Real Estate residual income even in a single deal. WE ONLY NEED SERIOUS MINDED PEOPLE WHO WANTS TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR SUCCESS IN THIS BUSINESS. The opportunity is not for everyone.

If You Desire Financial Freedom Through Real Estate, Please WhatsApp +2348027390046
OR Drop your WhatsApp number and we'll contact you.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 12:31am On May 19, 2017
Stchidex64:

Pls bro,I'll like to be in touch..a fresher in pharmacy...BTW,please what course did u study?

Send me a PM. We can chat.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by phillippiano(m): 9:30pm On Jun 16, 2017
Donnetimmy:
Interesting , I must say
Without being sentimental, I'm a student of OAU, but I respect UI a lot.
In terms of infrastructures: OAU
Research work: I'll give it to UI
Alumni: I can't tell
Academic Calendar: UI
Sociopolitical life: OAU

UI is ahead of OAU in most science related courses- the college of medicine in UI is the best in the country.

OAU however beats UI in law and hummanites. OAU law faculty alongside with UNILAG is the best in the country.

UI Postgraduate is unarguably the best in the country.

The two schools are really good, like someone said " The Messi and Ronaldo of Nigerian universities."
oau humanities better than ui? Please tell me another story. When we have the likes of the acclaimed ibadan school of history that produced erudite historians like Kenneth Dike, J.F Ade Ajayi, et all and the famous depts of english and linguistics , theology(now religious studies) that as produced the likes emeritus prof L.A Banjo, Wole Soyinka, Chrisopher Okigbo, Biodun Jeyifo(of havard university)etc. Ui's humanity school is Nulli Secundus!
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by felictorx: 6:58am On Jun 17, 2017
UI.. . UI people are more sane and matured. I have been to both schools, Undergrad at UI, PG, OAU.. oAU will frustrate you and brag on top of that

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 17, 2017
Longman6:
I find it difficult to reconcile the sayings of certain individuals here and the realities on ground. on what basis are you comparing UI and OAU?UI has a better academic calendar than OAU,UI is fast becoming a fully fledged postgraduate institution with an dmission ratio of 65% postgraduate and 36% undergraduate, No university in Nigeria can attempt this especially in a school like OAU where a lot of MR's are lecturers. May i add that the university of Ibadan has produced the highest number of PHD graduates some of whom are lecturers in OAU.

When it comes to lecturers-student ratio, i dont think i have to compare statistics here
I finished from Ui in feb 2015 and finished NYSC in April 2016, You should ask my mates who went to OAU how NYSC is coming on.

UI is so merit driven that the present Dean of the faculty of Law is a lecturer from OAU, this is in a faculty that has lots of professors.That is yet to occur in OAU, the present Dean of the faculty of pharmacy was formerly in OAU. My point? UI attracts the best without disregard for merit or selfish egos.

While it is difficult to compare the values of their research papers and level of social impact, i take refuge in the international university ranking that has consistently placed UI ahead of OAU.

OAU is hard,unnecessary stressful and too traditional but UI is has direct approach to learning, the lecturers are student friendly, you can break barriers in UI if you are brilliant.

Note: Nigeria's educational system is noting to write home about but i rather not put OAU ahead of UI, i think Covenant might beat UI few decades from now

I am not from both schools but I can tell you that OAU's research profile does not come close to that of UI. Infact for fg universities, it Is UI, UNN, OAU in that order. After all Times Higher and Webometrics are both based on research and UI leads both for now. CU too is coming up real strong and may join ui in top 1000 for this year(times)
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by rosebae: 9:58am On Jun 17, 2017
hey guyz evn thou am nt yet a student of both skul i support oau u guys re talkin abt d academic calandar been slow nd dat d hostel accomodatio being bad wel it nt a must 4 u 2 live in d hostel u cn live off campus if dat is givin u problem nd in d aspect of academic calendar been slow it reali helps alot oh it gves u mre tym 2 hav study b4 exams nd d mst important aspect in goin 2 school is 2 become wat u wana be nd fulfilin ur dream nt gvin point dat re nt meaninful
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Diamondville(f): 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
Generalkorex:
OUI
Mo Kuu o
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Diamondville(f): 1:53pm On Jul 10, 2017
wheesin:
I believe the better by far University of Ilorin is better undecided
You're Kidding, right?
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Diamondville(f): 2:05pm On Jul 10, 2017
iamhorny:
OAU is just structure, but in administration, research and teaching, OAU is shit. Not to even talk of departmental and faculty beef and politics. Useless school. Dont know much of UI but with have i have heard from people who went there, i can tell it is far better.

Even Ilorin beats OAU in administration, research and teaching
Your Last Paragraph made your post meaningless
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Diamondville(f): 3:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
neoapocalypse:

Yet Africa was gunned down and hacked to death like a pig in a slaughter house.
You graduated from the uni 2002, so you should keep quiet when uni students are talking in 2017
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 10, 2017
Diamondville:
You graduated from the uni 2002, so you should keep quiet when uni students are talking in 2017

Tell your fada to keep quiet you uncouth b*tch
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Diamondville(f): 4:44pm On Jul 10, 2017
neoapocalypse:

Tell your fada to keep quiet you uncouth b*tch
You're the true definition of an old fool.. At your age, you're supposed to impact lives and be a role model.. But look at you, you're here insulting people you are old enough to father on nairaland, old fool.. Tell your daughter to tell her father to shut up, overgrown idiot..
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by DokitaDave(m): 8:48pm On Jul 10, 2017
God sparing me, I'll do a honest review/comparism of these two institutions sometime in the first quarter of 2018. cool

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by noalistic(m): 3:02am On Nov 11, 2017
bayooooooo:
I don't know enough about OAU to make an informed comparison between the two.
A lot of comments are just long-held perceptions. But since I graduated from UI, I would just summarize those things I liked while I was there:

1. I did not buy hand-outs. As a matter of fact, UI had perhaps still has a policy against selling of hand-outs. Typically, I took notes in class and then went to Kenneth Dike library to write detailed notes using good textbooks. I used to hear stories of mark for handouts in other universities etc, but it never happened in UI or I did not witness it.

2. I never took a class that was taught by one lecturer; the least was two. In my first year in UI, six lecturers taught CHE 157, four of which were professors. Infact, at the end of my first year, I was taught by twenty one professors. The point I am making is, it is difficult to influence grades in UI. You would have to bribe so many professors or lecturers to do achieve that. Plus, experts tend to teach classes to the benefit of students. Since each lecturer would write at least a question, it could be daunting taking a class taught by six teachers. In some universities, you would not be taught by professors except in your final year.

3. UI exams are pretty well structured and competently administered. Never for once did I hear of any leak. Plus, exams results were promptly displayed at the end of each semester. It's extremely rare for a script to get lost or something. And at the beginning of each session, a copy of your transcript is needed to register. It is always a big surprise to me when people from other schools discover carry overs from 100 level that they didn't know until final year.

4.Lecturer to student ratio is good. There are departments where you have just twenty students (in each level) and lecturers know each by the first name. UI does not admit beyond its carrying capacity. You learn more, bond more and have room to ask questions. This factor explains why UI graduates always get mobilized for NYSC immediately after graduation.

5. Accommodation is good. In my first year, we were three in a room( Mellanby hall). In final year, only two students were in a room (D block). Electricity was stable. I remember people laughing at me when I brought stove and lantern in 100 Level. I did use the stove two or three times, but there was no need for it. Plus, each hall has a reading room which I used to my benefit. There is a common room where we watched premiership matches on Saturdays and Sundays, and movies on weekdays.

6. UI is fairly well secured. I used to go to the social sciences, faculty of agriculture or law to read at night, and would not be back to my room until 3am. You see people around, reading with their girlfriends etc. I was never for once afraid or threatened walking at night in UI. Cultism was not that pronounced, we heard about cult crises at Ibadan poly almost on weekly basis but had no impact on UI.

7. Social life is good for the what's up type. I participated in faculty politics and was into many clubs on campus. Off campus, there is a lot to explore in Ibadan. Plus, UI shares boundary with Ibadan Poly. We used to go there to bring girls.

8. Facilities were aging but still manageable. There was just one ASUU warning strike of about one or two weeks throughout my studies. There were more postgraduate students than undergraduates in my department. Fees were reasonable. In my first year, I paid 12005 plus about 2000 at the department and faculty level. Subsequent years, I paid in total about the same fees, accommodation included. Without accommodation, 4500 or thereabout for the whole session.

9.The quality of students was extremely high, almost every good student was a local champion in their respective secondary schools and the competition was real and intense. UI is a school where if you study smart and hard, you get good grades. No influence, nothing. Plus, if you don't put in the efforts and your CGPA fall below a certain value, you're asked to leave. UI publishes a tsunami list every session where students who can't cope are asked to leave. I put in the efforts and graduated with a first class honours and on top of my faculty. Many of my friends graduated with first class too. All tales of wicked lecturer from other universities were not applicable; there were hard classes with just one or two people having A but on the whole it was a great experience for me.

10. So, in things that matter like school reputation, UI is good. Academic, research and scholastic achievements: UI, as far as Nigeria is concerned, is excellent. Infact, UI is virtually a postgraduate university and you can't become one if your academic and research reputation is sub-par. Facilities: also within Nigeria, UI is still good. Quality of students: UI competes with a handful of schools for the best students Nigeria has on offer.

11. In humanities, I don't think any school in Nigeria can outperform UI in history, comparative literature, language and communication arts, linguistics etc. The same is true of core social sciences like political science, geography and economics. No school in Nigeria can easily edge out UI in core sciences like chemistry, physics and mathematics. UI's geology is also highly rated. In health sciences, UI's medicine, pharmacy and physiotherapy are highly regarded. UI engineering is good and competitive but I don't expect it to be on the same par with specialties school like FUTA et al.
Wow, My brother. You stun me with your comment. It is exactly my thought and it is completely and perfectly true. Am a proud biochemistry graduate of UI myself and I confirm all you have said. All these make UI the best Uni in Nigeria. Despite my difficult times in Biochemistry, I will always love and respect UI. That school is the only 7 star ( just as they use 7 point grading system) Uni in the country. I was taught by a minimum of 2 lectures in all my courses from 100 to 400 levels
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 11, 2017
noalistic:
Wow, My brother. You stun me with your comment. It is exactly my thought and it is completely and perfectly true. Am a proud biochemistry graduate of UI myself and I confirm all you have said. All these make UI the best Uni in Nigeria. Despite my difficult times in Biochemistry, I will always love and respect UI. That school is the only 7 star ( just as they use 7 point grading system) Uni in the country. I was taught by a minimum of 2 lectures in all my courses from 100 to 400 levels
And what is so special about that. Covenant uses a minimum of three lecturers. In some cases 4-5 even so i don't think that is as uncommon as you think.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by noalistic(m): 9:31am On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

And what is so special about that. Covenant uses a minimum of three lecturers. In some cases 4-5 even so i don't think that is as uncommon as you think.
Am not saying it is uncommon. The combination of points my bro highlighted makes UI the best. Don't dare put UI and CU in the same sentence

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 11, 2017
noalistic:
Am not saying it is uncommon. The combination of points my bro highlighted makes UI the best. Don't dare put UI and CU in the same sentence
Yeah sure because UI is inferior to CU.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by feran15(m): 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

lol

my guy you work in cu or something?
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by noalistic(m): 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
Statsocial:

Yeah sure because UI is inferior to CU.
In your widest dream. Maybe in the next 100 years sha

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 11, 2017
noalistic:
In your widest dream. Maybe in the next 100 years sha
Tell that to your lecturers who are paying HUGE sum of money to use our facilities for Research.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by PECng: 2:35pm On Oct 27, 2020
When you Have Changed Your Choice of Course in your UTME but the Old Course is Still Reflecting on Your OAU Post-UTME
It is very normal that between when UTME results are released and when admission offering is over, applicants will have the need to change their choices of institution or/and courses, it’s very normal. But I have to tell you that this is one of the very rampant but overlooked reasons why a lot of people lose their admission—especially when it has to do with OAU. Read me right please, changing your choices of course within OAU is not a problem at all, it only becomes a problem when you do the changing of course at a wrong time; and there are so many wrong times to change your course if you are aspiring to be offered an admission in OAU. READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE HERE>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2020/10/when-you-have-changed-your-choice-of.html

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by OPTOSUN(m): 3:05pm On Jul 20, 2021
OAU Great Ife!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Unilorin Students Disrupt Lecturer's Class To Celebrate Nigeria's Victory / No Be My Nature To Dey Brag - Success Says In New Viral Video / Students Caught In PDA At Babcock University To Be Punished - School Memo

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.