Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,605 members, 7,812,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car (8280 Views)

Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / Nissan/infiniti DIY Guides/information/help Centre / 5 Likely Causes For An Overheating Car Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by AutoJoshNG: 10:23am On Jan 24, 2017
There are a number of things that can cause your engine to overheat. The most important thing is to figure out which problem is causing it, and then you can solve it. In some cases, you can solve the problem on your own, without going to your mechanic.

To prepare for issues like this always ensure you have water and coolant in your car especially when you are going for a long journey.

What to do if your engine overheats
If your engine is overheating, do the following to cool it down:

Step 1
Turn off the air conditioner if you have it on. Running the A / C puts heavy loads on the engine.

Step 2
Put your car in neutral or park and then rev the engine. This makes the fan and the water pump work faster, which pulls more air and more water through your car’s radiator. This increased circulation helps to cool down the engine.

Step 3
As soon as you notice the temperature gauge creeping into the “H” territory (which stands for “hot”), pull over immediately and open the bonnet. This releases the heat and lets air circulate through the hot engine.

Note: you need to be careful when opening the bonnet — hot steam may come blasting out, so you have to be extra careful when doing this.

Step 4
Do not open your radiator pressure cap (the cap on top of the radiator) while the engine is hot. Doing so is very likely to release a high-pressure combination of steam and radiator fluid that can cause very serious burns.

Step 5
Check the coolant reservoir tank and fill if needed. Most modern cars have a plastic reservoir of coolant connected to the top of the radiator.

Step 6
Check for a leak in the cooling system. If your radiator or cylinder head seems to be compromised, or if you open the coolant reservoir and the levels are topped up, you may have a leak in the cooling system. If you’re experienced with cars, check the radiator, core plugs in the engine block, or cylinder head near the head gasket for any signs of leakage.

Step 7
If you still haven’t been able to fix the problem, get a Mechanic to help you have a look at it. most radiator problems can be fixed quickly.

Kindly share this Information with friends and family using the share buttons below.

https://autojosh.com/how-to-fix-an-overheating-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Airoflaw(m): 10:35am On Jan 24, 2017
On behave of dis stupid glo network in my area I dedicate dis to all Cars lover

1 Like

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by winetapper: 9:57pm On Jan 24, 2017
Hmm I learnt something
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Kjnwancaro: 10:27pm On Jan 24, 2017
Very importantly

Reduce your speed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by 3kay945(m): 10:43pm On Jan 24, 2017
I experience this once when my fans weren't working fine. .
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Originalsly: 11:13pm On Jan 24, 2017
Hmmmm.... put the car in park or neutral and rev the engine?.... what if the overheating was caused by a burst hose causing all the coolant to leak out? I prefer to turn off the engine as soon as possible and first check for leakage. If driving and the temp is rising... yes.. shut down the a/c but turn on the heat...but hey!...what do I know?...just a layman!

1 Like

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Naijalabel(m): 7:27am On Jan 25, 2017
Informative
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by littlewonders: 7:28am On Jan 25, 2017
Educative.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by admax(m): 7:29am On Jan 25, 2017
Is this how to fix an overheating car or how to detect an overheating car article? undecided

1 Like

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by solidman59(m): 7:31am On Jan 25, 2017
Even when I don't do the things that please you, Lord I know that you still love me the same. Thank you Lord for another day....

5 Likes

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by izzou(m): 7:31am On Jan 25, 2017
grin

For those of us wey drive vanagon.

Don't put any water in the radiator till it cools off. This is because it may burn the top gasket.

1 Like

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by information1: 7:39am On Jan 25, 2017
NICE INFORMATION UP THERE..
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Nobody: 7:39am On Jan 25, 2017
izzou:
grin

Don't put any water in the radiator till it cools off. This is because it may burn the top gasket.

And for those of us driving danfos, we no kuku get radiator grin
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by kachi08(m): 7:40am On Jan 25, 2017
Educative especially for people like me that bought a new car. Thank you.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 25, 2017
izzou:
grin

That is false. What I know is that don't top up freezer cold water because it may crack the blocks due to expansion and contraction.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by izzou(m): 7:42am On Jan 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

And for those of us driving danfos, we no kuku get radiator grin
grin

This write up na for ajebo cars.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by izzou(m): 7:44am On Jan 25, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

That is false. What I know is that don't top up freezer cold water because it may crack the blocks due to expansion and contraction.

What you know?

Thank God it's what you know. The real thing is to give it time to cool off before adding water.

Am telling you the street way of handling over heating.

No be ajebo way oh

grin
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 25, 2017
izzou:

What you know?

Thank God it's what you know. The real thing is to give it time to cool off before adding water.

Am telling you the street way of handling over heating.

No be ajebo way oh

grin
Which kind ajebo? cheesy grin
When I had overheating issues with a 406 for a 450 km journey, I topped up water all through and the car never had a problem.

Water cannot damage a gasket. Quote me anywhere.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Burgerlomo: 7:54am On Jan 25, 2017
Or may be the thermostat is bad
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by izzou(m): 7:54am On Jan 25, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Which kind ajebo? cheesy grin
When I had overheating issues with a 406 for a 450 km journey, I topped up water all through and the car never had a problem.
Water cannot damage a gasket. Quote me anywhere.

406 na ajebo naa

Am talking of Vanagon (80s) model. Na that type I dey talk of.

You don drive that one?
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Ermacc: 8:39am On Jan 25, 2017
Kjnwancaro:
Very importantly

Reduce your speed
i was expecting to see this on the op
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Aburi001: 8:52am On Jan 25, 2017
Airoflaw:
On behave of dis stupid glo network in my area I dedicate dis to all Cars lover
And number 9. Ensure the Engine cools down before adding Water into the Radiator otherwise the Car Gasket will burn and water will mix with the Engine Oil.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by PrinceLat(m): 9:01am On Jan 25, 2017
[quote author=AutoJoshNG post=53082335]

Step 2
Put your car in neutral or park and then rev the engine. This makes the fan and the water pump work faster, which pulls more air and more water through your car’s radiator. This increased circulation helps to cool down the engine.

Dunno about this, but the best way to cool your engine down after overheating is to put off the a.c and turn up the heat in your car to the highest, while you look for a good place to park the car, and if you're not far from your destination, you keep driving with the heater on, this does the trick most of the time pending when you find the real cause and fix it.

1 Like

Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Nobody: 9:07am On Jan 25, 2017
izzou:

grin

This write up na for ajebo cars.

I've been accused of being an ajebo but I still drive a danfo and in the USA no less.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by MARKone(m): 9:12am On Jan 25, 2017
The day I stupidly opened my radiator cover when it was hot, I saw Oba that day cry
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by izzou(m): 9:27am On Jan 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I've been accused of being an ajebo but I still drive a danfo and in the USA no less.

grin grin

Baddest you
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by eRex(m): 9:28am On Jan 25, 2017
i really dont think its best to keep revering when you dont know the actual cause of the over heating. best i will suggest is clear well and turn of the engine.... you can turn on the ignition to let the fan roll. trouble shoot what could have caused it before starting its again
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Airoflaw(m): 10:38am On Jan 25, 2017
MARKone:
The day I stupidly opened my radiator cover when it was hot, I saw Oba that day cry
lol next time if there is an urgent need to open it use a thick cloth or blanket to cover the radiator then turn the cap with the blanket...
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by nemynely(m): 11:03am On Jan 25, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmmm.... put the car in park or neutral and rev the engine?.... what if the overheating was caused by a burst hose causing all the coolant to leak out? I prefer to turn off the engine as soon as possible and first check for leakage. If driving and the temp is rising... yes.. shut down the a/c but turn on the heat...but hey!...what do I know?...just a layman!

bro, what you suggested is not layman stuff. if no leakage is seen, then turning on d heater cools the engine way faster than turning off the engine.
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Okusi(m): 11:51am On Jan 25, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
There are a number of things that can cause your engine to overheat. The most important thing is to figure out which problem is causing it, and then you can solve it. In some cases, you can solve the problem on your own, without going to your mechanic.

To prepare for issues like this always ensure you have water and coolant in your car especially when you are going for a long journey.

What to do if your engine overheats
If your engine is overheating, do the following to cool it down:

Step 1
Turn off the air conditioner if you have it on. Running the A / C puts heavy loads on the engine.

Step 2

Step 3
As soon as you notice the temperature gauge creeping into the “H” territory (which stands for “hot”), pull over immediately and open the bonnet. This releases the heat and lets air circulate through the hot engine.

Note: you need to be careful when opening the bonnet — hot steam may come blasting out, so you have to be extra careful when doing this.

Step 4
Do not open your radiator pressure cap (the cap on top of the radiator) while the engine is hot. Doing so is very likely to release a high-pressure combination of steam and radiator fluid that can cause very serious burns.

Step 5
Check the coolant reservoir tank and fill if needed. Most modern cars have a plastic reservoir of coolant connected to the top of the radiator.

Step 6
Check for a leak in the cooling system. If your radiator or cylinder head seems to be compromised, or if you open the coolant reservoir and the levels are topped up, you may have a leak in the cooling system. If you’re experienced with cars, check the radiator, core plugs in the engine block, or cylinder head near the head gasket for any signs of leakage.

Step 7
If you still haven’t been able to fix the problem, get a Mechanic to help you have a look at it. most radiator problems can be fixed quickly.

Kindly share this Information with friends and family using the share buttons below.

https://autojosh.com/how-to-fix-an-overheating-car/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

abeg bros, I'm a mechanical engineering graduate. i need a standard auto workshop where i can do 3 months intern. Thanks
Re: DIY Guides: How To Fix An Overheating Car by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 25, 2017
izzou:

406 na ajebo naa

Am talking of Vanagon (80s) model. Na that type I dey talk of.

You don drive that one?
Hahaha cheesy grin

(1) (Reply)

Bmw 530i Vs Lexus Gs350 Vs Acura TL / Understand Your Brake System / How Do You Know If You Have A Leaky Exhaust Pipe ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.