Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,212 members, 7,811,577 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees (10680 Views)

Reasons Why Employers Could Sack Employees In Nigeria Without Prio Notice Or Ent / 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees / Why Employers Need To Empower Their Employees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 1:16pm On Jan 26, 2017
I keep wondering why most employers do not promote their employees and this came to my mind..The reason why employers do not promote their employee is that most employees do only what they are told to do..they are not willing to do more, think more or even go the extra mile.
They lack initiative and professionalism.some employees are not willing to learn and develop soft skills needed for them to succeed in their career. they do not do things that exceeds the management expectation and most of all they don't think like a manager but like employee......what else do you think could deprive an employee from being promoted?

https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.new#new

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by thesicilian: 1:26pm On Jan 26, 2017
You may be right, but from my own research, what many Nigerian employers do is, once you have reached the stage for promotion/salary increment, they simply replace you with a younger or fresh applicant who's willing to do more for less pay.

33 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 1:39pm On Jan 26, 2017
thesicilian:
You may be right, but from my own research, what many Nigerian employers do is, once you have reached the stage for promotion/salary increment, they simply replace you with a younger or fresh applicant who's willing to do more for less pay.
yeah ..you are right in that aspect.. and i believe that's because they are looking for cheap labor..though i may be wrong
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by George2016(m): 7:15am On Jan 27, 2017
Not
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by swissobed: 7:15am On Jan 27, 2017
Diff views
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by jeeqaa7(m): 7:16am On Jan 27, 2017
Dem still dey promote person these days? My broda.. Promote yasef

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by naijablood: 7:16am On Jan 27, 2017
Must Read !!! ...Have you ever wondered the negative and positive effect of S*X on you as human? ..then you need this, check out for yourself the effect of S*X on your lifespan !!!

http://www.exposeline.com/2017/01/26/effect-sex-life-span/

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Cmeo(m): 7:17am On Jan 27, 2017
thesicilian:

This is not bad at all. No one is willing to pay for overpriced item/services with little/no value; so also the employers.

No employer will be willing to let go of a smart staff, the employer will be willing to do anything to keep such staff.

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Yannny: 7:18am On Jan 27, 2017
As an employee too don't be dependent. Work hard on yourself not your work. If you work hard on yourself, it will fetch you a FORTUNE and if you work hard in your place of work, it will only fetch you a LIVING.

#THINKIT

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Antoeni(m): 7:19am On Jan 27, 2017
.The reason why employers do not promote their employee is that most employees do only what they are told to do..they are not willing to do more, think more or even go the extra mile.
They lack initiative and professionalism.some employees are not willing to learn and develop soft skills needed for them to succeed in their career.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by bakingsoda: 7:19am On Jan 27, 2017
If you exhibit all of the skills listed above, a typical Nigerian employer won't promote you still. Instead, they would see you as arrogant and look for ways of making you exit the company.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by HAH: 7:21am On Jan 27, 2017
1, cost- once you promote staff it means the salaries and allowances will also increase, this may hinder promotion

2, vacancy- every organisation is like a pyramid the higher you go the smaller the number of people needed, if ten people are employed on the same day is not possible for all of them to be manager on the same day, so naturally some promotion will be delayed and some can only be promoted if there is vacant position to be filled internally

3, competency- You can only be promoted if you are competent and good at the work and can manage people and resources well thus having a good appraisal

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by onward4life(m): 7:21am On Jan 27, 2017
LekkiHost:
I keep wondering why most employers do not promote their employees and this came to my mind..The reason why employers do not promote their employee is that most employees do only what they are told to do..they are not willing to do more, think more or even go the extra mile.
They lack initiative and professionalism.some employees are not willing to learn and develop soft skills needed for them to succeed in their career. they do not do things that exceeds the management expectation and most of all they don't think like a manager but like employee......what else do you think could deprive an employee from being promoted?

Talk of illegal Jobs. I have Neva had an employment letter since I ve been working.

Talking about promotion to an indian/lebanese they would log on тo nairaland and ѕaнara reporт card to do a background check oғ yυ and υr tribe so to know hw to handle yu according to trbal comments. Cos dey use our hatred for one another to manage us

promotion WOW WOW Now that's an attempted coup

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by obembet(f): 7:26am On Jan 27, 2017
Your own view?
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Royalsettle: 7:29am On Jan 27, 2017
LekkiHost:

ƴou are right !

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by nkemjacob2(m): 7:34am On Jan 27, 2017
some employer do not worth ur stress. get ur pay and be ur boss

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by maxtop(m): 7:46am On Jan 27, 2017
The point raised by OP is true and nothing but the truth. However, this can only happen in a well established sector. Most of the company that offers you job nowadays didn't even want you to do surprised them in anyway. And if you tried to exceed the management expectations, they assumed you are doing what the management didn't asked you to do. In other words, they didn't give room for improvement.

There are some employers (especially in private sectors) that will not even promote you no matter how good you are because there is nothing like promotion in there agenda hence, they want you to remain on the salary scale they offered you for as long as you remain with them.

Some organizations though will recognized your contribution and improvement but they won't promote or increase your salary due to the fact that they can't pay above what they offer due to financial constraints and other flimsy excuses.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by sakalisis(m): 7:49am On Jan 27, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Mouthgag: 7:59am On Jan 27, 2017
[s]
LekkiHost:

[/s]
Nonsense!
Most Nigerian employers are very exploitative...
All they want is cheap labor and to have it all.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by SweetJoystick(m): 8:04am On Jan 27, 2017
Employers no wan increase salary and other benefits that tags along with job promotion. Simple and short angry
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 8:05am On Jan 27, 2017
obembet:
Your own view?
yeah.. my own view..whats your opinion?
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by redcliff: 8:12am On Jan 27, 2017
jeeqaa7:
Dem still dey promote person these days? My broda.. Promote yasef

Gbera!!! Lamo!
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by alex81(m): 8:33am On Jan 27, 2017
naijablood:
Must Read !!! ...Have you ever wondered the negative and positive effect of S*X on you as human? ..then you need this, check out for yourself the effect of S*X on your lifespan !!!

http://www.exposeline.com/2017/01/26/effect-sex-life-span/
take this

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by 44chux(m): 8:38am On Jan 27, 2017
LekkiHost:

Join/Form a LABOUR UNION!!!
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by eph12(m): 8:59am On Jan 27, 2017
bakingsoda:
If you exhibit all of the skills listed above, a typical Nigerian employer won't promote you still. Instead, they would see you as arrogant and look for ways of making you exit the company.
Totally wrong. An employer whether Nigerian or not, knows the importance of keeping a good employee. They normally won't want the employee to leave but at the same time they cannot afford more than what they can afford to pay.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by felix000000(m): 8:59am On Jan 27, 2017
Some organizations are not even ready to promote their staff e.g the contract staffs in some banks.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Dcaliphate(m): 9:01am On Jan 27, 2017
Not totally true op, some employers simply don't wish to increase your pay and most likely are not ready to promote you for that reason. They will prefer you serve them, their children and children's children and recieve peanuts as awards for loyalty every year. Go be your own boss bro, it seems to be the only way out.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by bakingsoda: 9:02am On Jan 27, 2017
eph12:

Totally wrong. An employer whether Nigerian or not, knows the importance of keeping a good employee. They normally won't want the employee to leave but at the same time they cannot afford more than what they can afford to pay.

My opinion please. You don't have to quote me to voice yours.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by playboy19(m): 9:03am On Jan 27, 2017
thesicilian:

This is just so wrong from all angle. When you said stage of promotion, at what point is that exactly? How do you determine the stage of promotion? Is it by the number of task completed or by the number is years spent? The truth is, it is with this same mindset that delay people's promotion which give credence to the op's observation. To me as an employer who believe in finding talents internally, these are a few things I look out for.

1. Effectiveness. Effective people are those that always get results. Consistency in getting results is what set them apart from the many 'potentially' good people and the Mr Capables. Effective people are committed people and are team workers.

2. Leadership. Effectiveness only is not enough for me, cos if you are truly consistently making me money or getting results for me at a particular level, why should I take you away from that position? The best you'd get from me is bonuses. However, good leaders are the ones who help others become better. They help others become like themselves. You may want to say, why should I help others become like me, well the simple answer is, if I do not find a replacement for you (someone who can equally make money for me like you do) you are not getting promoted.

3. Replacement. Finding replacement for every employee is one of the discreet goals of all employers. I don't like to feel like you could hold me to ransom at any point, so to be safe, I'm consistently looking for your replacement, for just incase. However, if you happen to be the one who helped develop the 'replacement', then you have secured a special place with me. By doing this, you have shown to me that you are not only committed, you are equally loyal and most importantly, you are highly confident in yourself. You have no doubt about your own worth or value to the company.

Trust me, if I see these 3 things in you, I'd promote you no matter how long you have spent with us, 6 months, 6 years or even 6 days (;. These are just the 3 most important criteria with which I promote people. If you like work from 6 am till 11pm, without these, you're not getting promotion from me.

Number 3 is what no employer will tell you. Whether you are an effective person, a good leader or a redundant employee (which 90% are), we are consistently looking for your replacement, either for when you get fired or for when you get promoted.

PS: I'll just like to add that getting another promotion then depends on how much you put into developing yourself for another level.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by eph12(m): 9:03am On Jan 27, 2017
Mouthgag:
[s][/s]
Nonsense!
Most Nigerian employers are very exploitative...
All they want is cheap labor and to have it all.
Used to think like this until I had my own outfit. Why don't you work on getting your own firm whether small or large so you know how easy it is to pay employees fat salary in Nigeria.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by eph12(m): 9:09am On Jan 27, 2017
bakingsoda:

My opinion please. You don't have to quote me to voice yours.
Ahan! I never stated otherwise. I thought we could have a discussion or debate on this. Don't know why you scared of someone quoting you.

if any part of that post was insulting maybe you should point it out or you could just ignore and forget I quoted you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coy I Worked For Refused To Pay Me My Expenses, Pensions And One Month In Lieu / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? / How To Start Egg Supply Business (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.