Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,683 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

2 Questions for you folks, best answer wins a prize..... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2 Questions for you folks, best answer wins a prize..... (1521 Views)

Esther Is A Female Name, Amaechi Is Male, Why Are You Folks So Annoying? / Two (2) Questions For INEC / 2 Questions Bothering My Mind! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2 Questions for you folks, best answer wins a prize..... by pendelite(f): 9:05pm On Dec 06, 2005
The following is from Thisday of December 6, 2005. What is glaring is what is not said in the statement, a lack of reference to the boss. So my question for all of ya is?

1. Can the President fire the Vice President if they disagree and he does not want to resign?
2. The Vice President talks about maintaing the mandate given to "THEM", so I ask una, who elect the Vice President ooooo? lipsrsealed

Atiku: I Won’t Resign
Intel, VP’s company, shut
From Josephine Lohor and Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja, 12.06.2005

Vice President Atiku Abubakar yesterday put to rest speculations that he may resign from office following the crisis of confidence between him and his boss, President Olusegun Obasanjo.
“I am committed to serving out our entire term of office as mandated by the Nigerian people when they re-elected President Olusegun Obasanjo and I (sic) in 2003, in spite of false insinuations about my imminent resignation,” the Vice President said in a terse statement that sought to repudiate some documents about a purported plan to rope some of his associates and him in a coup plot.
The statement, personally signed by Atiku, coincided with the suspension, by the Federal Government, of one of his companies, INTELS (Integrated Logistics Services) Nigeria Limited, from the operations of Onne Lighter Terminal, Port Harcourt in Rivers State.
The Vice President’s statement, which was released in Abuja read, “My attention has been drawn to some documents circulating in the country about a purported plan to rope me and some of my associates into certain unconstitutional acts with grave consequences for the stability of our country and my personal safety.
“For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to state unequivocally, that by my antecedents and democratic convictions, I will never be involved in any plot to derail our hard-earned democratic system of government, having uncovered and frustrated a coup plot whose master-minds are already facing legal trial.
“I remain committed and faithful to my Oath of Office to defend and uphold the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. In this regard, anyone purporting to drag my name or Office into anything contrary to this oath should be regarded as mischief-makers who do not wish our country well.
“I will also use this opportunity to react to insinuations about my continued role in the present administration. I am committed to serving out our entire term of office as mandated by the Nigerian people when they re-elected President Olusegun Obasanjo and I in 2003, in spite of false insinuations about my imminent resignation.
“Finally, I wish to appeal to Nigerians to remain steadfast and loyal to the Government and Constitution of Nigeria and avoid any acts that could derail our cherished democracy.”
Meanwhile announcing the suspension of the concession programme of INTELS, in which the Vice President has substantial interest, Federal Ministry of Transport in a statement by the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Babangida Aliyu, said its Minister, Dr. Abiye Sekibo, took the action following petitions and complaints by many stakeholders over the mode of the company’s operations at the port.
The minister, the statement added, also directed the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) to take over all activities in the ports pending the conclusion of on-going investigations on the ports.
Intel entered into a 25 year agreement with NPA to develop the port facility and operate it under the terms of Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT). The agreement was in furtherance of government's policy of partnering with the private sector operators by giving concessions to private companies to operate the facilities hitherto managed by the NPA.
As part of the implementation of the deal, INTEL earlier in the year completed a section of the Onne Port Complex.
INTELS (formerly NIC-OTES), is not new to closures, as this is the second time it will run into trouble. In 1996, the company was taken over by former Head of State, late General Sani Abacha, apparently to financially cripple former Chief of Staff, Supreme Headq-uarters, late General Shehu Yar’Adua, a major shareholder of the company, who was opposed to his plan to elongate his regime.
The company was, however, returned by Abacha’s successor, General Abdu-lsalami Abubakar rtd., following a petition by Atiku after Abacha’s death in 1998.
Set up in the late 1980s by Yar’Adua, Atiku and some Italian partners to offer logistics in Nigeria, the company started operating from a small container office at Apapa Ports, and grew its operations to expand to Equitorial Guinea, Congo Brazzaville, Sao Tome and Principe, Gabon and Angola with a combined staff strength of over 16,000. cheesy
Re: 2 Questions for you folks, best answer wins a prize..... by Renegade(m): 6:00pm On Dec 20, 2005
hmm. the VP can be kicked out ooo. this is nigeria we are talking about; anything is possible. he shouldn't step on toes especially now that he's not very strong. if he does, the EFCC, SSS, & ALL KINDS OF WAHALA WILL BE KNOCKING AT HIS DOOR. OBJ can't be underestimated ooo. those who have ears...

(1) (Reply)

Todd Palin ( Sarah Palin's Sweet-heart) / Crooked Nigeria - Even In Sport - Welcome To Grandpa Golden Eaglets / Meet Gift Nwaobilor, Nigeria’s First Tank Crew(wo)man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.