Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare (36189 Views)

President Buhari Running Despotic Democracy - PDP / 2019: Sagay Speaks On Osinbajo Coming Back As Buhari’s Running Mate / Tinubu: Osinbajo Was Hesitant When He was Chosen as Buhari’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by EYIBLESSN(m): 12:55pm On Feb 08, 2017
Tunde Bakare, serving overseer of the Latter Rain Assembly, has revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari chose him as running mate in 2011, because he wanted a vice-president who can hold the nation together if he dies in power.

Both men contested the election under the platform of the then Congress for Progressives Change (CPC), but lost to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Addressing his congregants in Ogba, Lagos, last month, Bakare said Buhari rejected former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s choice of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, former minister of finance.

BUHARI REJECTED OKONJO-IWEALA

“The day I signed that paper was the last day of submission. I carried the candidacy paper with me, but I didn’t fill. The final day, Nasir el-Rufai (current governor of Kaduna) came to my room, and said Chief Obasanjo summoned him, that if he could appoint Okonjo-Iweala and drop Bakare, he (Obasanjo) will support Buhari.

“I was so glad, I was totally relieved, I took the nomination paper and I said ‘let us go to General Buhari’s room’. He took us to his bedroom, only three of us there.

“I said Nasir el-Rufai has just come to tell me good news, President Obasanjo has spoken to IBB, has also spoken to Dangote, they will now support you if you can only substitute Ngozi Iweala and let me go.

“I said, sir, there are five reasons why you must yield to this, and he kept on looking at me… Look, many of you don’t know this man… For the ability to keep calm in the midst of storm and not say anything… to hold your peace, I need some Fulani blood.

“I said five reasons why you must embrace this: ‘1. Ngozi Iweala is Delta Igbo; you have solved the problem of south-south and south-east. 2. She’s a Christian, faith balance. 3. She is a woman, gender balance. 4. She is a former minister of finance and external affairs, it is called experience, and currently, her position in the World Bank gives her global exposure, any of this five, I don’t have’.

“He looked at me, and said did Obasanjo meet with you or Nasir? I said honourable minister (el-Rufai), you speak, and he repeated all the things I’ve said. And he (Buhari) asked him, what do you think he (Obasanjo) is up to? He said ‘you know our boss, there is something up his sleeve’.

“Then he turned to me, and said Pastor Bakare I told you I have prayed my own prayer the way I know how to, and I chose you, if you don’t want, give me the form, I would look for somebody else.

“It was then Nasir said, egbon, sign it. In that room ,I signed it, and Nasir seconded it. I left the place and it was as if a burden lifted.”

Bakare said he heard the voice of God to go ahead, which strengthened him in the days ahead.

https://www.thecable.ng/bakare-buhari-told-me-he-wants-a-vp-who-can-hold-the-nation-together-if-he-dies-in-power

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Iamwrath: 12:58pm On Feb 08, 2017
No source? Definitely fake why would Obj choose Okonjo over Osibanjo?

Updste**** for those quoting my comment, it doesn't matter the year this happened, Obj will never choose Olenjo Barawoala over a Yoruba candidate

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by yarimo(m): 1:03pm On Feb 08, 2017
Mtcheeew IPOB been fabricating lies just to impress since 1960 BC . grin

12 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Tororo: 1:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
Isn't there a difference between 2011 and 2015?

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by sarrki(m): 1:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
It could have been a disaster

Obianno could have been far far better

Or Ambode ,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by mmb(m): 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
These people wish Buhari death by all means.

Buhari shall serve out his term in Sha Allah till 2023.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by greatgod2012(f): 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Buhari rejected NOI just because she was serving under PDP. I don't know when we're going to look beyond party affiliations when planning to serve the nation.

Mtchew......

34 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by olaezebala: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Not disrespecting you Sir but en, Boda Bakare, u can lie ooooo. As a man of God Sir, preach the Gospel and God will make u relevant. Dragging "Na me lie pass" with Lai Mohammed no go help u.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by lielbree: 3:15pm On Feb 08, 2017
Because she is Igbo, no other reason

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by room089: 3:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
#BREAKING NEWS# Finally the President is back...I mean d youth president in my church

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by hayjay123: 3:16pm On Feb 08, 2017
We don't need your info

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by IamPatriotic(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
Pastor Bakare won't lie, but if it were to be another Pastor that's saying this, I would have said "shut up there"!

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by shamecurls(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
Sigh....

Obasanjo might have wanted to but Buhari knowing she was not a political weight to seal the North-Western alliance, which was the master plan of the APC. An Okonjo would have blown it all up!

Obasanjo's proposed combo was an imminent failure in the making which would have retained PDP as the ruling party.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Mrsufarguw: 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
Impossible
Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2017
"And he (Buhari) asked him, what do you think he (Obasanjo) is up to? He said ‘you know our boss, there is something up his sleeve"

I have been saying this thing since, anything Obasanjo has a hand in is never good! Shey youve all heard Buhari say it now?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Lilimax(f): 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2017
But this news is stale.
The incident happened in 2011...but we are in the year 2017 embarassed
We should think forward and not backward!

Any way all i know is that 'I will pight kwaraption' presido has tasted leadership and
have seen that Nigeria is bigger than him.
He should therefore step aside to take care of his ailing health.

It well with Nigeria!

17 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by INTROVERT(f): 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2017
grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by mustymatic(m): 3:19pm On Feb 08, 2017
Lies...but she was among those who sucked Nigeria dry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by chimah3(m): 3:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!

Obasanjo is always talking....Nigga should take a rest from Nigeria's issues!! None of his talks has ever brought us any good!

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by MrGreenMavro: 3:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
cheesy

she smart pass BULL HARI NOW cheesy cheesy

He for don resign since, if na she b VP grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by seguno2: 3:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
The same Obasanjo who has been yabbing Ngozi?
Tunde Bakare should stop yarning dust in his desperate bid for relevance.
If he cannot tell the truth, he had better keep his mouth shut.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by edimalo(m): 3:20pm On Feb 08, 2017
it could be possible
Mrsufarguw:
Impossible
Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by GoldenJAT(m): 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
PASTOR TUNDE BAKARE!there is something abt this man that is strange!

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by brixton: 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2017
God told you to vie a position and you lost the election.

My oga, God is not a God of confusion and neither does he send his servants on impossible missions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by UncleJudax(m): 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
Dangote...na dem de run the country. he doesnt need to occupy a political position. Una think say na only Cement him de sell? grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Rick9(m): 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
Dese politicians sef
Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by whirlwind7(m): 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
Bakare should just shut the hell up and face his tithe collection drive.
I lost any little regard I had for him when, after he announced to his congregation that God revealed to him that Nigeria is doomed if anyone of the former military heads of state should get elected as a civilian president.
Several months later, he accepted to run as Buhari's running mate.

Men who run after their stomach, without an iota of integrity or shame.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by naptu2: 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
Old news. Obasanjo said the same thing in his book and both Pastor Bakare and El Rufai had said this years ago.

Bakare in 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/634706/buhari-rejected-dr-ngozi-okonjo-iweala

El Rufai in 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1183946/obj-wanted-buhari-okonjo-iweala-ticket

OBJ in 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/2945431/wanted-okonjo-iweala-vp-buhari-obasanjo

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Kingspin(m): 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
Nigeria keep making deliberate mistakes in the hands of selfish leaders and fellow fellow supporters and will keep falling, paying dearly for it until Nigerian elect candidate of good quality without attaching religion and tribalism sentiments. I don't care which party just give us the best.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by emmykk(m): 3:23pm On Feb 08, 2017
Obj trying to solve Nigeria problem the wrong way.

How is delta state a representative state for igbo.

obj also cause similar problem when he choose gej over a typical igbo by now that igbo presidency marginalisation would have ended.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Mandesz(m): 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
I've so much respect for this Mrs okonjo-iweala inspite APC/bubu propaganda

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As Buhari's Running Mate, But He Refused - Bakare by Meeloreh(f): 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
That one na history abeg. There are more pressing issues like ...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Binta Masi Garba Ordained A Pastor At International Praise Chapel, Yola / Refinery: Dangote Already Paying Debts – Emefiele / Photos From Gumsu Sani Abacha's Birthday Bash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.