Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect (3563 Views)

For The Love Of Ondo Ekimogun Dialect. / Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by Afobear: 8:32am On Feb 09, 2017
hello ,can some one direct me on how i will learn to speak owerri dialect.There is something about it that flows with melody to the ears
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by Dan42(m): 8:37am On Feb 09, 2017
Eshi nini?
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by jopretty(f): 9:33am On Feb 09, 2017
It's 'Ishi nini' not 'eshi nini'...dear op, anyi ka kushiri gi asusu ala owerri, mana e ga enwe ndidi rukwu...
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by bigfrancis21: 4:41pm On Feb 10, 2017
Afobear:
hello ,can some one direct me on how i will learn to speak owerri dialect.There is something about it that flows with melody to the ears

Ala owere nde ebe ke anyi...annu ri u'to! Annu a marala sha o wuru na ala owere ari gi mma...shi mee nini? Kwara lie! cool grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by Afobear: 5:06pm On Feb 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ala owere nde ebe ke anyi...annu ri u'to! Annu a marala sha o wuru na ala owere ari gi mma...shi mee nini? Kwara lie! cool grin cheesy
i am not understanding
jopretty:
It's 'Ishi nini' not 'eshi nini'...dear op, anyi ka kushiri gi asusu ala owerri, mana e ga enwe ndidi rukwu...
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by Ndawe(f): 1:40pm On Apr 05, 2017
Onye shi ala Owerri a ri ya mma, ya kwara lee...
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by dozzynet(m): 3:24pm On Apr 05, 2017
Ndawe:
Owu kpa ori.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by Chinachriss(m): 12:40pm On Apr 06, 2017
Ndawe:
Ya kwara li nne m.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by kpaminose: 1:09pm On Apr 06, 2017
Who said Owerri is very close to Ika? From all my research, I only notice very very insignificant similarity. Not even enough to give it any attention
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by chijiblaze(m): 10:34pm On Apr 06, 2017
kpaminose:
Who said Owerri is very close to Ika? From all my research, I only notice very very insignificant similarity. Not even enough to give it any attention

Ị shị a hụ wụ nini? Ị shị ọ wụgh kpa nnụ na-eshi ekwu ụka?
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by kpaminose: 10:50pm On Apr 06, 2017
chijiblaze:

How the fvck do you expect me to understand this?
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by chijiblaze(m): 10:59pm On Apr 06, 2017
kpaminose:

chijiblaze:

How the fvck do you expect me to understand this?

Ị sị na ọ wụ gịnị? Ị sị na ọwụghị otù unu na-esi ekwu okwu?

Now do you understand that? Now give us the translation in Ika.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by kpaminose: 11:25pm On Apr 06, 2017
chijiblaze:

Ị sị na ọ wụ gịnị? Ị sị na ọwụghị otù unu na-esi ekwu okwu?

Now do you understand that? Now give us the translation in Ika.
Ye si kini? Ye si ni ele erira ke onu gi eku oku?
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by chijiblaze(m): 9:07am On Apr 07, 2017
kpaminose:
Ye si kini? Ye si ni ele erira ke unu gi eku oku?

You mean you don't have the verb to be 'bụ / wụ' in Ika?
Ọ wụ gịnị? Aha m wụ.....
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by kpaminose: 9:14am On Apr 07, 2017
chijiblaze:

You mean you don't have the verb to be 'bụ / wụ' in Ika?
Ọ wụ gịnị? Aha m wụ.....
We have wu but construction of sentences in Ika language is different from what you think. Even the ni in that sentence ought to be eliminated but I just added it. Wu, ri are just some similarities with Owerri but an average Ika speaker doesn't understand Owerri. I understand Anambra Better than Owerri, so where is the very similar coming from
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by naijaseeker: 3:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
kpaminose:
We have wu but construction of sentences in Ika language is different from what you think. Even the ni in that sentence ought to be eliminated but I just added it. Wu, ri are just some similarities with Owerri but an average Ika speaker doesn't understand Owerri. I understand Anambra Better than Owerri, so where is the very similar coming from

I doubt that an Ika speaker would understand Owerri dialect. In fact many people from Anambra don't, and a few people from some further parts of Imo and Abia may not. Owerri dialect is very distinct, many Igbo languages are very distinct, what I am trying to say is, an understanding of central Igbo (whatever it is) or the more popularly spoken Igbo ( a diluted version of Anambra and Orlu dialects) will not equip anyone towards understanding Owerri dialect
Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by naijaseeker: 3:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
This should actually be

Ị shị a hụ wụ nini? Ị shị ọ wụgh kpa nnụ na-eshi asu?
chijiblaze:

Re: I Want To Learn Owerri Dialect by labonita1(f): 4:30pm On Jan 01, 2018
if you want to learn go there

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Speak And Write Urhobo Language / "It’s Sign Of Inferiority Complex For Africans To Bear European Names" – Reno Om / Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.