Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,524 members, 7,826,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

Do We Really Need 36 State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Really Need 36 State? (457 Views)

Buhari Meets With Wives Of 36 State Governors (Photos) / Current Speakers And Deputies Of The 36 State Houses Of Assembly / 36 State Governors, The Courses They Studied & The Higher Institutions Attended (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do We Really Need 36 State? by Tanimola26: 8:57pm On Feb 13, 2017
Over the years I have pondered on this. But I can’t seem to come to a better conclusion maybe you guys can help me out.
Most times we fail to see the main problem of Nigeria. We all focus on the central government (FG) and fail to look down the pecking 4 order (Governors, Local government chairmen, councilors).
We all agree that Nigeria economy need diversification but my question is “What is each state doing to contribute to the process? What can each territory produce for export or even for local consumption thus empowering their citizens?
The tradition for Nigeria governors has been to be spoon fed by the federal government. Very few of our so called governors have the reputation of being impactful. Most states aside Lagos, Kano and Port-Harcourt haven’t known any real transformation in the past decade. So what’s the point of having 36 state and 36 money sucking governors if we cannot have 36 functioning hubs for trade, industries and performing social services?
Why do we have to pay 36 unworthy governors if there is little to no gain in terms of development?
More than 15 out of our 36 states solely rely on federal allocations and seemingly exist only to pay salaries. What is the usefulness of such state, if not only to act as parasite?
France just completed the process of merging 22 regions into 13 in order to save cost; can’t we borrow a leap from that? Oh I forgot, our greedy, selfish and self centered politician won’t accept. Even in Donald Trump America, which currently has 50 states, state had to “apply” to become a state that is to prove they could be viable. But in my dear country we create state by mere carving out boundaries, by the way I hear we are planning to have Ijebu State to house all Ijebus.
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by myfantasies(f): 8:59pm On Feb 13, 2017
Ajuju undecided
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Feb 13, 2017
Ojuju
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by Nogodye(m): 9:24pm On Feb 13, 2017
Report to the "Constituted Authority"
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by walemoney007(m): 9:46pm On Feb 13, 2017
why cant we just have 6 states in nigeria,3 in the south and 3 in the north
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by juman(m): 10:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
36 is good.
nigeria has big population.
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by MummyIMadeIt: 11:25pm On Feb 13, 2017
36 state is over rated, what we need is a

4 REPUBLIC SYSTEM
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by zendy: 11:31pm On Feb 13, 2017
The states are a waste of time. The should all be dissolved and Regiins created in their place, just like it used to be
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by Tanimola26: 3:13am On Feb 18, 2017
juman:
36 is good.
nigeria has big population.
Are states created because of population?
Hell NO
Re: Do We Really Need 36 State? by Standing5(m): 3:53am On Feb 18, 2017
We have a structure that's set up to exploit certain people's resources. As long as these people keep allowing their resource to flow unchallenged the others are happy to benefit something, no matter how little or how detrimental it is to their own long term prosperity.
We just replicate needless cost across 36 at various level. Appointees, lawmakers, events, low quality universities etc are all examples of such wasteful recurrent expenses being replicated. We need to promote IGR prioritization from all states. For a state to exist it must meet certain IGR benchmark. This will help all those fighting for new states know the main goal of states.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Fresh 24-hour Curfew Declared In Southern Kaduna Towns / PDP Wins As INEC Concludes Collation Of Results For Etche/ Omuma Federal / Take A Look At What Corrupt Nigerian leaders Have Done To Fellow Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.