Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,891 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This (59531 Views)

Ifemosu Micheal: Why I Was Expelled From The University― FUNAAB Student Activist / UNILAG Mermaid: Eyewitness Explains Why Rumored Mermaid Student Was Arrested / Why Olusegun Kayode Bello Was Expelled From The Nigerian Law School - Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 17, 2017
Same thing happened to my cousin when he was very young. Teachers and his parents kept abusing him for drawing and painting imaginary/abstract stuffs. Eventually they ended up succeeding in making him stop all forms of drawing.

Sad thing is... he was never good at reading et al. Hence he never did well in school...up to his university days. Heck they pushed him into studying what he couldn't deal with, even though he expressed interest in Theatre Arts/Fine Arts.

Today he's at home with same parents, dropped out cos he couldn't cope with school...and finally trying to rejuvenate his drawing skills. Imagine all the wasted years, instead of allowing the guy to develop his skills from childhood.

I'll keep repeating it. Superstitions would lead us no where but would keep taking us backwards

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by faites(f): 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2017
Richy4:
The Principal doesn't want his students to think outside the box...According to him, there are lots of thing he could have drawn inspiration from...Haba!!

Yes, loads of things ... like cows.

As if cows are not causing enough problems these days.

2 Likes

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by emmawiz: 12:10pm On Feb 17, 2017
This drawing is something else oo.. It's kinda abnormal. Their something in this drawing that I don't just understand..

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by obailala(m): 12:11pm On Feb 17, 2017
Lol... what kind of drawing is that?... The boy na winsh?

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by tillaman(m): 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2017
This is just a mere drawing and a bundle of talent, what happened to the phrase DO WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY, this young lad has found love in drawing. What he should get is love and support and not negation and other vices

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by mhk043(m): 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2017
what class is the student? RAW TALENT.. the inspiration is not here...

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Idrismusty97(m): 12:15pm On Feb 17, 2017
This guy will make good Animes and Manga smiley. I hope Japan invites him.

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Nobody: 12:16pm On Feb 17, 2017
Chanchit:
I don't even know what to say, but its obvious the boys is drawing from a spiritual realm.

SMH!!! "spiritual realm"! why? just why??
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by COvo(m): 12:25pm On Feb 17, 2017
Seun
Why can't I post on those Muslim thread? Was it because I liked a post that says "the only miracle Muhammad performed was to sleep with many women in one night?"
Or I should accept that I'm a Muslim? Because something popped up asking if I'm a Muslim or not before I'll be able to write a post.
I nor dey understand
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Chanchit: 12:35pm On Feb 17, 2017
ayoolanr:

SMH!!! "spiritual realm"! why? just why??
EddyNumerouno:

Trash

So you think he just picked up his pencil and came up with this? Think again
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Nobody: 12:41pm On Feb 17, 2017
Valfrankie:
Now I wish I could reach Professor Robert Langdon, for only him can bring the portrait to life. so many hidden details and meaning

Langdon doesn't exist. Mr Brown created him.
Maybe you're being figurative...
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by DammyOlu123(m): 12:44pm On Feb 17, 2017
Wow... That's a little creepy. But it could have been harmless, or just the boy exploring different themes. It's meant to be the job of the class teacher, along with the counselor, to try and find out where the inspiration is coming from. If it's just for fun, yo u try and align him with more acceptable themes to draw. If it's more deep seated than that... Well, that's why it's a Christian school... cheesy
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by yedidiah(m): 12:45pm On Feb 17, 2017
I wonder why atheists are always threatened whenever their matter is touched. Always playing the victim.

The school have a right to protect their institution and values. And I am sure the student signed upon his admission, to obey all school rules and regulations.

So, should they allow him, if they feel he will be a negative influence to other students? don't the parents of the other students have the right to have their wards educated properly?
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by MrHenshaw: 12:47pm On Feb 17, 2017
uzoclinton:
A student in kenya was expelled from his school Bahati High School on February 13 following his love for making queer drawings.

In a letter, the Christian school noted that the teenager could be aligned to a cult. They also accused him (ian njenga) of initiating other students to join his alleged faith.
The high school went ahead to advice his parents to take him for counselling and transfer him to a day school where they can keep a keen eye on him.

When confronted by concerned people, the school's Principal maintained that the drawing made by Ian could not be condoned in the school.
"We have so many things within the school that Ian could have drawn inspiration from like cows or even portraits of other students. But drawing suggestive things like snakes and scorpions is not condoned in this school," he said.

After the news of the expulsion got around, Atheists in Kenya (AIK) threatened to sue the school for expelling the boy stating that: "It is unfortunate that a school in Kenya, in this day and age, would expel a student who is simply exploring various artistic themes instead of growing and nurturing this talent. You are negating the very reason for which educations reforms in the country are being undertaken."

County Director of Education in kenya Isaac Atebe finally came into the picture and ordered the immediate re-admission of the student' and hopefully he will be resuming on monday.

http://listwand.com/2017/02/a-student-was-expelled-from-school-for-drawing-this/

Honestly,I am not against the drawing only d boy knows d intent. But for atheist to start forming union on d matter is laughable.lt is a Christian school(read again) for crying out loud and they operate within d ambit of their doctrine and belief,d same is applicable to Judaism,Buddhist and lslam.
The atheist can as well can admit him in Atheist High school,Mombasa.
As simple as this human right issue,u are forming union.

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by dsocioemmy(m): 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2017
Is this for real? how low have we gotten to? When this boy was supposed to be encouraged and nurture
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by walosky(m): 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2017
That boy must be good in surrealism

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Valfrankie(m): 12:52pm On Feb 17, 2017
emeninevalentin:

Langdon doesn't exist. Mr Brown created him.
Maybe you're being figurative...
You almost missed it. of course I was being figurative. I was referring to any brilliant Scholar that could help us interpret the picture, because I bet you, a conspiracy or religious buff will have a field day analyzing the portrait.
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by sisisioge: 12:53pm On Feb 17, 2017
That's a lovely art there... Anyways, na Kenya!
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by babseg(m): 1:02pm On Feb 17, 2017
Richy4:
The Principal doesn't want his students to think outside the box...According to him, there are lots of thing he could have drawn inspiration from...Haba!!

The principal even suggested cow grin

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Mapzone(m): 1:07pm On Feb 17, 2017
See creativity... Chai God bless the boi
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Nobody: 1:08pm On Feb 17, 2017
Chanchit:
I don't even know what to say, but its obvious the boys is drawing from a spiritual realm.

What spiritual realm have you seen in your life? Sometimes we spew nonsense in the name of religion. I am a Christian and born again before people come out and try and spew nonsense on top. Just to add, I am involved within church at a level no nairalndER probably is .

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Chanchit: 1:13pm On Feb 17, 2017
pneme:

What spiritual realm have you seen in your life? Sometimes we spew nonsense in the name of religion. I am a Christian and born again before people come out and try and spew nonsense on top. Just to add, I am involved within church at a level no nairalndER probably is .

I'm tired of all this born again and their steewpidity. so y'all think its only Christians that can go spiritual!?

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by sweetgala(m): 1:14pm On Feb 17, 2017
Chanchit:

Explain I fail to see what your worldly eyes can !

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by Exciton(m): 1:16pm On Feb 17, 2017
masonkz:
Same thing happened to my cousin when he was very young. Teachers and his parents kept abusing him for drawing and painting imaginary/abstract stuffs. Eventually they ended up succeeding in making him stop all forms of drawing.

Sad thing is... he was never good at reading et al. Hence he never did well in school...up to his university days. Heck they pushed him into studying what he couldn't deal with, even though he expressed interest in Theatre Arts/Fine Arts.

Today he's at home with same parents, dropped out cos he couldn't cope with school...and finally trying to rejuvenate his drawing skills. Imagine all the wasted years, instead of allowing the guy to develop his skills from childhood.

I'll keep repeating it. Superstitions would lead us no where but would keep taking us backwards

This, I believe, is the most important reason why we haven't had any real development in the country.

Coupled with religious beliefs and unwavering worship of elders, making money at all costs is at the core of our societal values in this country.

I believe this makes Nigerian parents and the Nigerian society to heavily discourage individualism, to always push kids to repeat the same thing that other generations have done: go to school, get a job, get married, work all day all night till retirement and die.

Never having a moment to take a step back and wonder: why am I existing? Why am I living this kinda dreary life? Why do I have to do the same things they did to survive? Why can't I create something new and add value to the society?

Advanced societies understand this important concept: balancing individualism and collectivism. That's why they have artists, scientists, music composers, engineers etc that can create and and value to their society.

It's also the reason why most of us have degrees but can't create sh!t. Creativity is discouraged in this country. So people get degrees to get a nice paying job. Not because they really wanna use their knowledge to create.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by IamOpemipo(m): 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2017
uzoclinton:
A student in kenya was expelled from his school Bahati High School on February 13 following his love for making queer drawings.

In a letter, the Christian school noted that the teenager could be aligned to a cult. They also accused him (ian njenga) of initiating other students to join his alleged faith.
The high school went ahead to advice his parents to take him for counselling and transfer him to a day school where they can keep a keen eye on him.

When confronted by concerned people, the school's Principal maintained that the drawing made by Ian could not be condoned in the school.
"We have so many things within the school that Ian could have drawn inspiration from like cows or even portraits of other students. But drawing suggestive things like snakes and scorpions is not condoned in this school," he said.

After the news of the expulsion got around, Atheists in Kenya (AIK) threatened to sue the school for expelling the boy stating that: "It is unfortunate that a school in Kenya, in this day and age, would expel a student who is simply exploring various artistic themes instead of growing and nurturing this talent. You are negating the very reason for which educations reforms in the country are being undertaken."

County Director of Education in kenya Isaac Atebe finally came into the picture and ordered the immediate re-admission of the student' and hopefully he will be resuming on monday.

http://listwand.com/2017/02/a-student-was-expelled-from-school-for-drawing-this/

Printing this straight up and frame it, such a nice piece
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by brandonobi(m): 1:40pm On Feb 17, 2017
some people are claiming that this drawing is from one blah blah realm wen in actuality it can be mere imagination, and besides did the school put down drawing (out of the ordinary) pictures as against rules and regulations, expulsion is just too much

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by itzemar(m): 1:48pm On Feb 17, 2017
who understands what the picture signifies because

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by OfficialNNB: 2:01pm On Feb 17, 2017
We Africans have a big problem
So instead of the school supporting this very talented boy and help him grow they are expelling him. Later they will be wondering why the continent does not progress. shame on the school.
The boy has a pure talent.

2 Likes

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by vcente(m): 2:19pm On Feb 17, 2017
uzoclinton:
Welcome to Africa
frontpage at last

1 Like

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by vcente(m): 2:19pm On Feb 17, 2017
uzoclinton:
Welcome to Africa
frontpage at last.keep it up
Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by rusher14: 2:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
yedidiah:
I wonder why atheists are always threatened whenever their matter is touched. Always playing the victim.

The school have a right to protect their institution and values. And I am sure the student signed upon his admission, to obey all school rules and regulations.

So, should they allow him, if they feel he will be a negative influence to other students? don't the parents of the other students have the right to have their wards educated properly?

You deserve a Nobel prize for this nonsense.

All the adire, Ankara, batik clothes you wear do you think the designs dropped down from heaven?

Re: A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This by akigbemaru: 2:52pm On Feb 17, 2017
Picasso chased out of school because of ignorance!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / PHOTO: How A Secondary School Teacher Reacts To WAEC Result / Can You Remember How You Learnt The First 20 Elements?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.