Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,514 members, 7,954,949 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:07 PM

FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) (23646 Views)

Tyonor Smith: Benue University Students Protest Over Shooting Of Student Leader / Four Final Year FUTO Students Design A Campus Surveillance Drone (video) / ASUU-EBSU Lecturers Set To Go On Strike Over Exorbitant Taxation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by MartinsIfeco1(m): 9:23pm On Feb 17, 2017
anthonypeters:
Students of the Federal University Of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) have taken to the streets to protest over exorbitant school fees fees levied on them by the school management. As we update you, the protest is still on going.

Let’s present you the school fees schedule for 2015/2016 academic session and that of 2016/2017 academic session.
FUTO School fees schedule for 2015/2016 Academic Session:

FUTO Year one (100L) School fees
Geology = (School fees) N50,800 + N40,000 (Acceptance Fees)
Total= N90,800
Other Departments = (School fees) N48,300+ N40,000 (Acceptance fees)
Total= N88,300

FUTO Year two & three (200l-300l) School fees
Geology = #35,800
Other Departments = #33,300

FUTO Year IV & V(400l-500l) School fees
Geology = #30,800
Other Departments = #28,300

FUTO School fees schedule for 2016/2017 Academic Session:
We got information that Fresh (100 Level) Students still pay an additional acceptance fee of NGN 42,500 making a total of NGN 124,000.

Students still have to pay huge amounts for accommodation and course registration. A student claimed that fresh students pay more than NGN 20,000 for various course registration apart from school fees and acceptance fees.

There was heavy police presence on campus to ensure that the students do not vandalize the school property or create any havoc during the protest.
The students decided they will go on a protest when the school management gave them an ultimatum to pay up today or pay a fine of additional NGN 10,000.

Enjoy pictures from the Live Protest, while we keep you updated.
cc lalasticlala

More details at: http://www.studentsinfoportal.com/campus-news-and-gist/futo-students-over-exorbitant-school-fees/
Meister5:

Which Rochas? FUTO is a federal university and has nothing to do with Rochas.

The fees might be little to you but compared to other Federal University of Technologies ,its really high .

It's really easy for you to sit where ever you are and judge we students of FUTO without adequate information. You don't know what went wrong.
anthonypeters:
Students of the Federal University Of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) have taken to the streets to protest over exorbitant school fees fees levied on them by the school management. As we update you, the protest is still on going.

Let’s present you the school fees schedule for 2015/2016 academic session and that of 2016/2017 academic session.

Total= N90,800
Total= N88,300

Geology = #35,800

Geology = #30,800

We got information that Fresh (100 Level) Students still pay an additional acceptance fee of NGN 42,500 making a total of NGN 124,000.

Students still have to pay huge amounts for accommodation and course registration. A student claimed that fresh students pay more than NGN 20,000 for various course registration apart from school fees and acceptance fees.

There was heavy police presence on campus to ensure that the students do not vandalize the school property or create any havoc during the protest.
The students decided they will go on a protest when the school management gave them an ultimatum to pay up today or pay a fine of additional NGN 10,000.

cc lalasticlala

More details at: http://www.studentsinfoportal.com/campus-news-and-gist/futo-students-over-exorbitant-school-fees/
5 persons in my dept BCH paid #60800 last year november after their acceptance fees but SUG protested peacefully the reduced it to #55300.We would ve protested the late payment charges peacefully this time around than stilling from ICT Centre and wanting to rub diamond bank.
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by mgbawall: 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2017
[b][/b]
anthonypeters:

Total= N90,800
Total= N88,300

Geology = #35,800

Geology = #30,800

cc lalasticlala

futo have change so much,when was sch fees was cheap,i don't kw why futo have become like this
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Exquisitemuna(f): 11:15pm On Feb 17, 2017
We were in peace, gradually progressing this semester, some persons woke up and said they want to protest.
What are U protesting?
Increment of school fees
They never heard about the federal government TSA(treasury single account)implemented last year, and they don't know what the Remitta code is for.now futo as an organization is trying to run their organization in such a way they don't run short of finances which will enable All round smooth running of d university. Last year,if I'm not mistaken, when futo management did their estimations and brought out an outrageous school fee bill,the sug body dialogued with them to see how the fee can be reduced, and finally it was brought down to 39,300(using final year fee as an example)and this monies go the federal government treasury single account, after which when the whole money is collected, a dividend from it is given to futo by the FG.Now if ur crying for decrease in fee, the cry should be directed to the FG, cos the fee amount,futo management brought out is what they considered ideal and very moderate for effective running of the whole school arm, without going bankrupt.
Secondly, if they are protesting for decrement, how about those who have paid? coz I know about 40% of the student population have paid fees. if the school mgt considers the protest, do U think they will start stressing themselves to refund monies to those who complied with the bill on ground, when these monies were deposited into the FG account? Don’t think so.
What we should be crying for is those items, listed on the school fee receipt with increased amounts. Why aren't we enjoying them, at least we are paying for them? and bfr this, the students should accept d schools judgment concerning d fee hike, and before students protest about not enjoying the benefit of what we are paying for, the sug excos should have dialogued with d school mgt about it, then when they don't respond positively, students can now go into a protest, it’s fair that way.
Now these protesters have succeeded in punishing all the students of futo(good,bad,ugly)cos the school won't keep shut about this vandalism. We would all suffer it, in one way or the other. For real. what did Nigerian students achieve??
Ok.what's the reason for vandalism?
The VC left without addressing the student, he didn’t address the student.yea he didn't do well, but civilized students, we claim to be shouldn’t go far to act like primitive barbarians. It’s uncalled for. I’m also a student of futo, who feels what Nigerian students are feeling and judging from d students angle, its really not cool to mount pressure on Nigerian students to pay heavy bills with an inconsiderate deadline, you dont have an idea of the financial strength of the families of this student, or the student(for those training themselves),so the school authority ought to be lenient, with them, considering this factor, and give them more time to pay up. Now if the students had coordinated themselves and run a peaceful protest for at least a week, for whatever reason, with 1voice,there is no way the school authority won't say something about the issue, but the inclusion of vandalism spoilt the whole idea.
#myopinion

2 Likes

Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by crispyvick(f): 12:05am On Feb 18, 2017
sport kwa i dnt get it.nah chelsea abi arsenal.reminds me of my skul den.u will even pay for ancestral fee
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Nobody: 12:29am On Feb 18, 2017
dlux:
Funny how i posted this news first but didn't make FP. Not the 1st time this is happening.
Happened to me lol. Next time quote d supermods
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Nobody: 12:39am On Feb 18, 2017
9jakohai:

And you think that N40000 is enough to pay for better facilities?.

I mean....that is less than $100 dollars per annum. (US universities pay 20000 and above).

That isn't enough to give good enough amenities. And before you shout government.....funding for education needs to rise above N5 trillion per annum before you can pay your low fees, and have good amenities.This year's budget was N8trillion.
And you think its okay for the school to put the burden on students? All the years ASUU have been going on strike why haven't the solved their issues. You need to experience FUTO to know how bad things are
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Kruzilano(m): 12:42am On Feb 18, 2017
SamJed:
Protest has turned extra violent....police are pursuing students.....properties are destroyed...this is getting out of hand...guys this thing is very very serious o....make i pack my bag begin dey go house...it seems cult boys have hijacked this stuff...they said they arrested the guy that organized this protest, a former SUG P.R.O...but he has been released
better come out on Monday come protest...... dey avnt released rochas...
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Vanmatrix(m): 12:52am On Feb 18, 2017
lolss funny guys. check fupre fees Nd futo student will thank their v.c
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TheVictorious(m): 2:51am On Feb 18, 2017
engrchykae:
if you went through the unnecessary rigours these lecturers do put students through,u wont be here pitying them.they will refuse to show you your results until 4th or 5th year.

He isn't pitying them, he is being sensible. Do you think the lecturers own the school any more than the students do??
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 6:17am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
NMGS....i'm an ex-geology student, Dr. Nwagbara's set, that's if you know him.

Dr. Nwagbara is now late hope u know that.
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TerrorSquad147: 6:19am On Feb 18, 2017
Candyrain:

Dr. Nwagbara is now late hope u know that.
I was around when he died, and they put the blame on us (his students)
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 6:19am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
bros if you dey live for eziobodo how you wan take run?? grin grin

Protest was only within school premises, it didn't get to off camp
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 6:20am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
I was around when he died, and they put the blame on us (his students)

How will they blame you guys? What were u guys accused of?
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TerrorSquad147: 6:30am On Feb 18, 2017
Candyrain:

Protest was only within school premises, it didn't get to off camp
oh ok
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TerrorSquad147: 6:33am On Feb 18, 2017
Candyrain:

How will they blame you guys? What were u guys accused of?
don't mind the department. Maybe they were joking but it didn't go down well with many of us cos already we were kinda angry with the man. May his soul RIP
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 6:35am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
don't mind the department. Maybe they were joking but it didn't go down well with many of us cos already we were kinda angry with the man. May his soul RIP

Oh I see. Akaolisa was my boss during my time there
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TerrorSquad147: 6:40am On Feb 18, 2017
Candyrain:

Oh I see. Akaolisa was my boss during my time there
your boss?? Are you a staff or what?
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 6:43am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
your boss?? Are you a staff or what?

Lol... my course adviser actually
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TerrorSquad147: 6:45am On Feb 18, 2017
Candyrain:

Lol... my course adviser actually
what year if I may ask?
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Scarcity234: 6:45am On Feb 18, 2017
Exquisitemuna:
We were in peace, gradually progressing this semester, some persons woke up and said they want to protest.
What are U protesting?
Increment of school fees
They never heard about the federal government TSA(treasury single account)implemented last year, and they don't know what the Remitta code is for.now futo as an organization is trying to run their organization in such a way they don't run short of finances which will enable All round smooth running of d university. Last year,if I'm not mistaken, when futo management did their estimations and brought out an outrageous school fee bill,the sug body dialogued with them to see how the fee can be reduced, and finally it was brought down to 39,300(using final year fee as an example)and this monies go the federal government treasury single account, after which when the whole money is collected, a dividend from it is given to futo by the FG.Now if ur crying for decrease in fee, the cry should be directed to the FG, cos the fee amount,futo management brought out is what they considered ideal and very moderate for effective running of the whole school arm, without going bankrupt.
Secondly, if they are protesting for decrement, how about those who have paid? coz I know about 40% of the student population have paid fees. if the school mgt considers the protest, do U think they will start stressing themselves to refund monies to those who complied with the bill on ground, when these monies were deposited into the FG account? Don’t think so.
What we should be crying for is those items, listed on the school fee receipt with increased amounts. Why aren't we enjoying them, at least we are paying for them? and bfr this, the students should accept d schools judgment concerning d fee hike, and before students protest about not enjoying the benefit of what we are paying for, the sug excos should have dialogued with d school mgt about it, then when they don't respond positively, students can now go into a protest, it’s fair that way.
Now these protesters have succeeded in punishing all the students of futo(good,bad,ugly)cos the school won't keep shut about this vandalism. We would all suffer it, in one way or the other. For real. what did Nigerian students achieve??
Ok.what's the reason for vandalism?
The VC left without addressing the student, he didn’t address the student.yea he didn't do well, but civilized students, we claim to be shouldn’t go far to act like primitive barbarians. It’s uncalled for. I’m also a student of futo, who feels what Nigerian students are feeling and judging from d students angle, its really not cool to mount pressure on Nigerian students to pay heavy bills with an inconsiderate deadline, you dont have an idea of the financial strength of the families of this student, or the student(for those training themselves),so the school authority ought to be lenient, with them, considering this factor, and give them more time to pay up. Now if the students had coordinated themselves and run a peaceful protest for at least a week, for whatever reason, with 1voice,there is no way the school authority won't say something about the issue, but the inclusion of vandalism spoilt the whole idea.
#myopinion
well said ma
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 6:47am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
what year if I may ask?

2006/2007. Acceptance fee then was 10k, not this crazy thing I'm seeing now
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by TerrorSquad147: 7:01am On Feb 18, 2017
Candyrain:

2006/2007. Acceptance fee then was 10k, not this crazy thing I'm seeing now
ok, you and me nor be mate na...lol. In my time, we paid 20k. I'm still wondering why FUTO always increase their fees. Here in the west their fees are not expensive and their students still do well but in FUTO who will give you the opportunity to graduate with a first class?? Is it Ama Nduka, or some mischievous geology lecturers , or chemical engineering lecturers?? Who??
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Candyrain(m): 7:07am On Feb 18, 2017
TerrorSquad147:
ok, you and me nor be mate na...lol. In my time, we paid 20k. I'm still wondering why FUTO always increase their fees. Here in the west their fees are not expensive and their students still do well but in FUTO who will give you the opportunity to graduate with a first class?? Is it Ama Nduka, or some mischievous geology lecturers , or chemical engineering lecturers?? Who??

It's really crazy indeed
Re: FUTO Students Protest Over Exorbitant School Fees (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 18, 2017
my man pls dont say this at all, if rochas would have not be taken, and your so called vc would have spoken with Nigerian students.... i remembers when a protest happened then in the last vc, all the student were busy shouting he just said a word, keep quiet... all the student kept calm, i still repeat myself if he would have calm the student down all this would have not happened... sorry to say the vc, Eze i mean is not a leader.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pls Can I Gain Admission With This Waec Result? / Tukur Bayero Debunks Breaking 20 Years Jinx As Best Graduating Student From ABU / Requirements For Collection Of Original Waec Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.