Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? (13690 Views)

Boy Who Slept With A Girl He Met For The First Time Now Finds It Hard To Urinate / whi is smoking not Completely Banned / Is Smoking In The Public Against The Law In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by smooooooth: 9:54am On Dec 21, 2009
you can quit if u want to. its a decision u just have to make. and that wont be hard for you as you have started feeling bad bout your smoking habits. i smoked over 10years, up to 3packs aday. but when i decided to stop, that was it. now i hate the smell. just make up your mind thats all. if that doesnt work , go see a doc and listen to the effect of smoking or try and see a condemned lungs. that will help you stick to your decision. and all the effect on your breath, teeth, skin etc. starts changing from the very first 24hours u go without smoking.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by KakiP(m): 10:09am On Dec 21, 2009
who said it isnt hard to quit? i smoke but i don't get addicted,

1 Like

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by dawgy(m): 10:45am On Dec 21, 2009
Please I have the same problem.
I'm only 29yrs and I have smoked for 13 yrs of this 29yrs.
Please any effective advise is greatly welcomed.
forward to getmee01@yahoo.com or call +2348064355434
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by bodsibobo(m): 10:46am On Dec 21, 2009
I started smoking in December 1985 and I smoked for 23 years. I was a damn heavy smoker then in the university doing over a pack of twenty per day. Later when I graduated I started doing about two packs per day.

My brother it hasn't been easy but I thank God that I stopped smoking June 2008. The most important thing is the desire to quit which you already have and ensure that you occupy your mind and time with a lot of other activities that you can not combine with smoking. Avoid hanging out in places where you'll be ENCOURAGED to smoke. The next one might be funny, but Go To Church. You'll be surprised how it helps (not particularly spiritually alone) but it helps you too.

Yeah, there might be one, two or three times you'll go back to it, but you'll notice that gradually, you start forgetting about it and immediately you realise that you're not addicted after all, then you've reached the turning point.

I wish you all the best. Yes, you can do it!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by franklampard082(m): 10:53am On Dec 21, 2009
I concur that marijuana/igbo/hemp etc is better than cigarettes cuz they at least have medicinal values. Cigarette does not but rather contains hundreds of chemicals to aid your addiction without even putting anything useful into your system, rather it removes from your system.
I am not a smoker and I doubt if I ever will be. I've got friends who smoke and I've vowed that they will never drag me into that line cuz am easilly addicted to stuffs like that.
I believe that tobacco is made legal cuz the white man can produce it in his country easilly but cannot produce marijuana or cocaine which such ease coupled with the fact that they are used by pharmaceutical companies so if the everybody on the street can get to the marijuana or cocaine with ease, no profit for them. Abolition of marijuana and cocaine is just the way the white man wants to keep on controlling the finances of 3rd world countries so that they will always look up to them for help.
So my friend, switch to marijuana cuz that way even if you don't quit, you can be assured you are getting more than your money's worth. Good luck in your fight.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by silvernus0: 11:24am On Dec 21, 2009
boyfrend the only way to quite smoking is to get yourself in love with a lady u cheerish so much ,then she would become your hobby but mind you there are side effectes because anytime she stops loving you ,your smoking habit will increse 2x .i was a victm too but now my swthrt has helped me overcome it grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by ayobase(m): 11:50am On Dec 21, 2009
When a character becomes part and parcel
of one personality, then there is prob!

Olorun a ko e yo o!
OYO!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by axeman85(m): 11:52am On Dec 21, 2009
@poster

i fell u jare. i have been smoking from secondary school days but i am not addicted to it. i stopped for a year and then picked it up again recently i stopped for 2months and got stressed and troubled then i picked it up again. but difference btw now and before is that then i  was known as sango as smoke was always coming out from my mouth but now i only smoke once a while. but when am in naija i smoke well. its difficult stopping completely becos once u get stressed u pick it up again.

Tontodike:

I know what you mean dude, I'm going through the same droppings right now.

Do you have any smoking cessation classes in your area ? enroll in one of there classes, most of them will work with you to quit.

The classes are normally free and are sponsored by the ALA.

if ur the same actress then i can definately tell from ur lips even wth the lip gloss. guess its either white london or benson. lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by axeman85(m): 11:54am On Dec 21, 2009
silvernus0:

boyfrend the only way to quite smoking is to get yourself in love with a lady u cheerish so much ,then she would become your hobby but mind you there are side effectes because anytime she stops loving you ,your smoking habit will increse 2x .i was a victm too but now my swthrt has helped me overcome it grin grin grin

guy it depends oooo. my g doesnt like it but what i do is after smoking i chew minty gums and wash my hands and spray perfume to cover up the smell and i smoke outside and not inside. it takes serious 200% committment and serious hardwork to stop but it aint easy.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by silami(m): 11:56am On Dec 21, 2009
Give your life to Jesus and He will set u free from cigarette addiction. For if the Son shall set u free you shall be free indeed, thats waht delivered me after 5years of smoking!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by madamL(f): 12:01pm On Dec 21, 2009
@seyenko
Thanks for your very enlightening advice. I think it is a very practical way of quitting. I will get it and pass it on to some people who are struggling to quit especially the bit about minding the company you keep
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by semid4lyfe(m): 12:42pm On Dec 21, 2009
@ OP,

Read John Grisham's The Runaway Jury and you'll understand why smoking is so difficult to quit. Though it's a work of fiction, I consider it an expose on the dangers associated with smoking and the dirty politicking/cosmetic surgery done by tobacco companies to cover up their crimes against mankind.

If you can't quit smoking after reading that novel, then you need special deliverance grin
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by ud4u: 1:45pm On Dec 21, 2009
There is a spirit behind it, is just like prostitudes that says they went into prostitution because of money and at the end of the day they still finds pleasure in it after they might have gotten a lot of money.

BUT YOU HAVE TO BE DETERMINED FIRST AND ALLOW GOD TO DO THE REST
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by MUNEER2(m): 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2009
May God you quit!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by MUNEER2(m): 2:24pm On Dec 21, 2009
^^^^^ May God help you quit!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nonnyl(m): 2:28pm On Dec 21, 2009
How am I suppose to live without this swagger I copied from my gee then in college. It makes me feel relaxed and think like a living begin. Gimme more.

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by semid4lyfe(m): 3:10pm On Dec 21, 2009
Nonnyl:

How am I suppose to live without this swagger I copied from my gee then in college. It makes me feel relaxed and think like a living begin. Gimme more.

Guy, continue jare. Nothing do you at all, at all. Smoking improves your breathing capacity and chest muscle activity. Did you know that? Very soon your lungs will look like this grin. Don't stop, just continue so gbo?

Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nonnyl(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
@semid4lyfe, na today e don te wey I been hearing that.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Nonnyl(m): 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2009
@semid4lyfe, na today e don te wey I been hearing that.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Maxidoe(m): 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2009
My guy i feel your pain and i understand what you are going through,it would take time,determination and hard work.I smoked cigarettes and Marijuana heavily for more than 13 good years,but now am free,personally i never believed i could stop smoking both stuff.

But i recommend you dwell seriously on Seyenko's post,he has said it all and nothing more to say other than adhere to it.Personally i had to change environment,it was that serious,cos guy the influence of friends and your routine is the greatest obstacle.Partying,clubbing was my life,but i had to give up on such routine.At first it was difficult,just sitting at home watching movies,since am a football fanatic and support a premiership club,i made it a habbit watching football matches in a viewing center where beer or bazz is not sold,gradually am much better.

For those who think weed is better or an alternative to bazz, dont be deceived,yuo are just in bondage,you obviously wud be looking much better than you are now without it.The feeling is good,the high is great and sometimes i miss it,but am happy i have overcome it
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by SCI(f): 11:04pm On Dec 21, 2009
hothead if you you really want to quit smoking, i advice you first of all see the reasons why you should quit, i mean count all the bad effects caused by smoking in your life and with that you will authomatically be determined to stop it!
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Maryjane2: 11:41pm On Dec 21, 2009
Hi, i agree with you that its had to stop smoking, but you can stop it, just like i stopped mine, with 5 sure ways which are:
1 keep yourself busy with,
2 make a list for yourself
3 Try to cut out things that triggers you to smoke like,
for more detailed information and the other ways, please (visit: stopsmokingpalace..com) this site has being of help to me.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Odexmoney(m): 1:16am On Dec 22, 2009
Before you can quit smoking,you have to understand so important facts and what are this fates?The reason why you are a smoker it can be as a result of your Nature or nurture.Dont misunderstand me my friend.

Let me break it down for you to understand properly

1.Nature : You inherited the habit from either parents.

2.Nurture : The environment you found yourself.Maybe you smoke cos all of your friends smokes and you want to belong to their click and before you know it you become addicted.

less i forget you can also be fixated according to Sigmund Freud he stated that a man live is surrounded by is libido.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by styv(m): 2:03am On Dec 22, 2009
when you are ready, you'll quit grin
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by jestertech: 3:22am On Dec 22, 2009
I think willpower is the only way.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Ndipe(m): 3:41am On Dec 22, 2009
I dont smoke, and my advice may or may not be helpful.

Try this methods. Pray about it. Prayers does wonders.

2. How many sticks of cigarettes do you smoke a day? Lets say you smoke 10. Gradually reduce it to nine sticks a day, then eight the following week, seven and so on and see if the craving would cease eventually.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by chelseabmw(m): 5:46pm On Dec 22, 2009
@poster

Abeg go die for one side, I dont think u have a problem here, When u will realise this will be when u will be told to pay $7,000 for lungs or heart transplant dey u go wise
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by stalliontp(m): 10:37pm On Dec 22, 2009
hehe its because of nicotine addiction, yeah its all about will power and readiness to quit, its hard for you to quit because you are not ready to quit yet.
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by debangus(m): 12:52am On Dec 23, 2009
Anything which gives pleasure is always hard to quit; this is a universal truth.  Tobacco contains a substance called nicotine which is actually what creates that addictive dependence on smoking.  You can use two things to motivate yourself to quit:

1.  The first is for you to consider the benefits of quitting smoking like looking healthy, smelling fresh instead of reeking of tobacco smell, stain-free teeth etc.

2.  If this first consideration does not motivate you to stop smoking, then the second consideration might just do the magic.  The second thing you should consider is for you to think of what might happen to you if you do not stop smoking like developing cancer of the lungs, cancer of the pancreas etc and eventually death.

For more and better information about what you stand to benefit if you stop smoking; and the dangers that awaits you if you continue to smoke, why not visit this site:

www.smokers-clinic..com
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by unclebros: 8:16am On Dec 23, 2009
I remembered when i was in the university, as christians, we preached to this roommate of ours who was a terrible addict to cigarettes. We used to call him Behind. This guy would get broke just in the 2nd week of the semester due to booze and smokes. We preached to him and he got converted and God helped him to stop smoking. Physically we saw the changes in his new lifestyle. He stopped smoking physically but guess what??

He continued smoking in his dreams, I could recall he told us that a woman used to bring cigarettes to him in his dream and he would smoke. It was then I realised that there is a spiritual dimension to addictions. Being spiritually inclined, we told him to beat the woman in the dream and speak the Work to her as well. He had the dream again and he dealt with this woman. Behind stopped having those dreams and he never smoked again.

@Poster, the power of deliverance is in Jesus Name. All you have to do is the accept Him as your saviour and HE will deliver you since you already wanted to stop. I can assure you that it may be difficult to stop on your own especially if you are a chain smoker already.
God bless and take charge.
You can contact me for counselling, 08029563137
Re: Why Is Smoking So Hard To Quit? by Smi1(m): 7:53pm On Dec 23, 2009
anyway the question on every smoker’s yellowing lip will always be “Is there an easy way to quit smoking?” The instant answer to that would be yes, as there is a mountain of anecdotal evidence to suggest it is possible. There are millions of smokers who can testify that they packed in a long-term habit overnight, and never desired another cigarette again. The real question then, is how did they do it?

The answer is simple: if you wish to quit smoking easily, then you need to change your mindset. After years of smoking, your brain will be configured to believe that smoking is an integral part of you. As a former smoker myself, I know full well just how emotionally connected the smoker is to the cigarette, and this is something non-smokers often overlook. It’s not just a question of willpower - it’s about being able to sever the emotional links we have with the habit.

The fact is that nicotine is one of the least physically addictive drug substances out there. We can sleep for eight hours every night without our body waking us up in a cold sweat to smoke. Although this sounds like a big claim to make, the amount of anecdotal evidence mentioned earlier should be testament to this. The smoking habit is not the nicotine habit - it is the psychologically addictive habit.

The easy way to quit smoking is to shake up the beliefs you associate with smoking. It’s not enough to simply say it’s bad for your health, because that is a rational fact. Smoking breeds irrational, emotional attachments, and it is those attachments which you have to perceive in a different way. No smoker is going to argue that smoking is good for their health, but many will claim that a cigarette helps them relax. Do you see the difference? Smokers have more irrational beliefs than they would think.

This calls upon a great deal of introspection. Head to the pub with a notepad and pen and start writing about how you feel about smoking. Compare smoking to a girlfriend or boyfriend, if you will, because that’s the level of emotional attachment most smokers will feel towards the habit. Start assessing how you feel about smoking and make a list of all the positives you feel smoking brings to your life. Then try to detach yourself and question these “positives”.

Ultimately, if you want an easy way to stop smoking, then you need to realise that all that is really required is the re-wiring of your brain. You do not need gum, patches or any other gimmick. Such gimmicks only maintain your emotional attachment to the habit without the actual physical side-effect, but that is not enough. You need to beat both the physical attachment and, particularly, the emotional attachment. If I can do it, then so can you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Ganduje Destroys Illegal Drugs And Expired Food Items. Photos / Lassa Fever Outbreak In Rivers, Two Confirmed Dead / How To Use Oriflame Milk And Honey Sugar Scrub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.