Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor (20943 Views)

I Will Not Step Down Nor Die - 93-year-old Zimbabwean President, Mugabe Boast / BREAKING NEWS: President Mugabe Dies At 93-daily Buzz SA / President Mugabe Rules Out Retirement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Ranchhoddas: 6:17pm On Feb 19, 2017
ephi123:
Poor tchuwey cheesy
Please you people should soft-pedal on her, the girl has gotten enough insults to last a week. She truly did not know, but she has been corrected and hopefully has learnt something today.
Lol. I have been following the thread and laughing seriously here.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by ephi123(f): 6:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Lol. I have been following the thread and laughing seriously here.

I can just picture her logging in to her NL account and seeing all the mentions and insults. Nigerians have no chill at all cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by napoleon77(m): 6:20pm On Feb 19, 2017
Gaara101:

Alright.
Can you tell me why you want him to continue?
Not a diss, I just want to know.

I am indifferent if he chooses to continue!!

But I believe it is wrong for non-Zimbabweans to insists that he leaves power.

Irrespective of her faults, Zimbabwe is a constitutional democracy!

We can't insists that their leader steps down because we are unhappy. Let him be voted out. And let's not ignore the impact Western sanctions have had on their economy.

Mugabe is not a dunce! I believe he even gained law degrees from the University of London while in jail, although this is irrelevant

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Ranchhoddas: 6:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

If your points are valid then like the electorate decide. Isn't that how a democracy works?
In the strictest sense of the word, Zimbabwe is not a democracy.

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

Which country is a dictatorship?

Britain is a constitutional monarchy while Zimbabwe is a democracy.
yes zim is practising democracy but we can call it dictatorial version of democracy ...i hope this cleara your head

2 Likes

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by napoleon77(m): 6:25pm On Feb 19, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
In the strictest sense of the word, Zimbabwe is not a democracy.

What are the attributes of a democracy that Zimbabwe does not have?

Civil rule? Multi party system? A constitution? Elections?

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

I am indifferent if he chooses to continue!!

But I believe it is wrong for non-Zimbabweans to insists that he leaves power.

Irrespective of her faults, Zimbabwe is a constitutional democracy!

We can't insists that their leader steps down because we are unhappy. Let him be voted out. And let's not ignore the impact Western sanctions have had on their economy.

Mugabe is non a dunce! I believe he even gained lw degrees from the University of London while in jail, although this is irrelevant
Alright, I see where you are coming from.
Then again, If he contests and wins, nothing we say would change anything. If I remember correctly, there were lots of people here talking about the US election and it changed nothing. People can say what they want.
Cheers
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by napoleon77(m): 6:28pm On Feb 19, 2017
hardwerk:
yes zim is practising democracy but we can call it dictatorial version of democracy ...i hope this cleara your head

At least you accept that the country is a democracy but who are the we?
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

At least you accept that the country is a democracy but who are the we?
i and many others viewing this thread ...its your choice to agree or not to agree but i have established my view
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Ranchhoddas: 6:35pm On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

What are the attributes of a democracy that Zimbabwe does not have?

Civil rule? Multi party system? A constitution? Elections?
Free and fair elections. The kind in which no one is intimidated and in which every vote counts
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by KinSlayer: 6:39pm On Feb 19, 2017
omg! who is this tchuwey please?? celeb in the making
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by tzars(m): 6:56pm On Feb 19, 2017
No one lives forever. So when death comes the acceptable successor will come naturally.
EdificationBoss:
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has ruled out retirement as he looks forward to his 93rd birthday next Tuesday.

There had been calls for him to retire due to old age.

According to him, he has no "acceptable" successor in place, hence he won't give up power.

"The call to step down must come from my party, my party at congress, my party at central committee," Mugabe said in excerpts from a radio broadcast that will air this week.

"But then what do you see? It's the opposite. They want me to stand for elections."

"The majority of the people feel that there is no replacement, a successor who to them is acceptable, as acceptable as I am," he added.

Mugabe, who has kept an iron grip on power since Zimbabwe declared independence in 1980, has repeatedly denied reports of health problems.

http://www.newshelm.com/2017/02/mugabe-rules-out-retirement-at-93-i.html
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by bigtt76(f): 7:06pm On Feb 19, 2017
The Queen is ceremonial head of government unlike Mugabe. We should stop comparing the two angry

tchuwey:
He's greedy because he's African. How old is Queen Elizabeth and how long have she been in power?
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by AminuRano87(m): 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
tchuwey:
He's greedy because he's African. How old is Queen Elizabeth and how long have she been in power?
My sister Queen of England plays only ceremonial roles.
The real power is with the British Prime Minister who is elected politician. All decisions are made by the Prime Minister and the Congress.
while Mugabe is the president and head of state. he run the country with full powers.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Gerrard59(m): 7:32pm On Feb 19, 2017
napoleon77:

And your point is? What's the analogy? [/b]Has Mugabe's party lost the majority in their parliament?[b] Why should he step down?

If it sucks to be a black man then blame God if you believe in him.

When the election is not free and fair? When the opponents are blackmailed and arrested?

Lee was 87 when his party PAP had their worst loss in parliamentary elections. Until then, he was the Minister-mentor. After the loss, he stepped down for the younger generation to continue. This is a man who is credited with lifting Singapore from Third World to First World status in a generation. The same Singapore Mugabe goes to treat cough was a described as a squalid land. Today Singapore is described by The World Bank as the best place to start a business, by The Economist as the second safest city, by Transparency International as the 7th least country and lots more.

Honestly, tell me what a 93 old man offer in this century?

.....and yes, it sucks to be a black man. When I see a developed black nation, then I will eat my vomit. Nigeria for example cannot provide her citizens with constant power supply after 56 years of independence, yet Singapore had hers (against her will) in 1965. S.Korea had a lower GDP per capita than us during the '60s.

If you like the status-quo, your prerogative.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Solozzo(m): 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2017
Mugabe - the only witch in the coven!!
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by napoleon77(m): 7:44pm On Feb 19, 2017
Gerrard59:

When the election is not free and fair? When the opponents are blackmailed and arrested?

Lee was 87 when his party PAP had their worst loss in parliamentary elections. Until then, he was the Minister-mentor. After the loss, he stepped down for the younger generation to continue. This is a man who is credited with lifting Singapore from Third World to First World status in a generation. The same Singapore Mugabe goes to treat cough was a described as a squalid land. Today Singapore is described by The World Bank as the best place to start a business, by The Economist as the second safest city, by Transparency International as the 7th least country and lots more.

Honestly, tell me what a 93 old man offer in this century?

.....and yes, it sucks to be a black man. When I see a developed black nation, then I will eat my vomit. Nigeria for example cannot provide her citizens with constant power supply after 56 years of independence, yet Singapore had hers (against her will) in 1965. S.Korea had a lower GDP per capita than us during the '60s.

If you like the status-quo, your prerogative.

Let's not deviate.

This is not a comparison between the 1st and 3rd world.

If you have evidence that it had been confirmed that Zimbabwean elections were not free and fair then that is a separate issue and it will be nice to show evidence. Even Hillary asked for a recount in the US election (elections are hardly free and fair anywhere, depending on where you stand)

Do not misinterpret my stand! I am not a fan of Mugabe but if the electorate are unhappy then vote him out. It happened in Nigeria and Gambia.

You seem to have ignored the impact of Western sanctions on Zimbabwe. Are they irrelevant?

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by frankfab(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2017
When the time comes he will give up like the Greedy former Gambian president
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by akinboluwarin(m): 7:51pm On Feb 19, 2017
Mugabites don't have the command "successor" in their database. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Mbediogu(m): 7:53pm On Feb 19, 2017
tchuwey:

The queen is ceremonial. She is not the prime minister.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by napoleon77(m): 7:56pm On Feb 19, 2017
frankfab:
When the time comes he will give up like the Greedy former Gambian president

He lost an election.

If the Zimbabweans want Mugabe out, and he wants to run, then let him run and lose
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by napoleon77(m): 8:03pm On Feb 19, 2017
You guys should leave Tchuwey alone. But her point was clear

It's always easy to hit a weak target.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Emanodimo(m): 9:01pm On Feb 19, 2017
Zimbabwe ain't all fools.... Mugabe wait to see how things will evolve...
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Emanodimo(m): 9:07pm On Feb 19, 2017
Maybe we might need to help the Zimbabwean out... When u begin to believe in ur doing alone, it rule out respect for others desire, wants and need... Hence, conflict ensue...
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by lozanni(m): 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2017
EdificationBoss:
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has ruled out retirement as he looks forward to his 93rd birthday next Tuesday.

There had been calls for him to retire due to old age.

According to him, he has no "acceptable" successor in place, hence he won't give up power.

"The call to step down must come from my party, my party at congress, my party at central committee," Mugabe said in excerpts from a radio broadcast that will air this week.

"But then what do you see? It's the opposite. They want me to stand for elections."

"The majority of the people feel that there is no replacement, a successor who to them is acceptable, as acceptable as I am," he added.

Mugabe, who has kept an iron grip on power since Zimbabwe declared independence in 1980, has repeatedly denied reports of health problems.

http://www.newshelm.com/2017/02/mugabe-rules-out-retirement-at-93-i.html

A very big indictment on you Mr Mugabe because succession planning is a big part of Leadership.
You have been in power for about 37 years, yet you are openly confessing to the world that you have not found worthy successors among your people to groom for future leadership positions in your country, you ought to cover your face in shame and not gloat over this fact.
We all know that if Mr. Mugabe drops dead this minute, many more qualified Zimbabweans, than himself, will be quick to step out and pick the leadership mantle of the country
My only fear for the country, is that it does not descend into chaos and anarchy, in the case of a sudden passing by Mugabe, because peaceful political succession has never been allowed to take place in the country hence it will take their polity awhile to adjust to it.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by flyforall: 9:54pm On Feb 19, 2017
biko what is the secret to his old age?
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by MOSICATED5(m): 10:05pm On Feb 19, 2017
tchuwey:
The Queen of England is not any elected political office holder beside she has a successor . The queen don't also make political decisions that directly affects her people. She's mainly a ceremonial head.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by Captainope(m): 10:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
tchuwey:
she is a Queen not president ...she would be there till she die
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by godwinony(m): 10:35pm On Feb 19, 2017
panafrican:
Has the Queen of the UK retired yet after 65 years in power?
Monarchy and democracy are two different concepts.
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by haykes(m): 11:19pm On Feb 19, 2017
Nigerian i trust by fire by force by rat killer u will leave d seat who born dog
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by MayowaAleem(m): 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2017
greedy president
Re: Mugabe Rules Out Retirement At 93 - I Have No Acceptable Successor by goodheart02(m): 2:12am On Feb 20, 2017
tchuwey:

My dear, hers is a monarchical system of government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ukraine Rejects Russia's Demand For Surrender In Besieged Mariupol City / Taliban Official: Strict Punishment, Executions Will Return / The Facts And Fallacies Of The War In Mali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.