Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate (5536 Views)

Supreme Court Upholds Right of Female Child to Inherit Properties in Igboland / APC Has No Chance In Igboland - Mu'azu / APC Is Dead On Arrival In Igboland - Uwazuruike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Nchara: 1:00am On Dec 09, 2009
I am going home to Ala-Igbo after 6 eventful years in Obodo Oyibo. I plan to tour the whole of Igboland during the period and I am particularly interested to visit as many special natural/historical landmarks as I can. I am able to remember these landmarks and would be pleased if you can help populate the number of such places I plan to visit

1. Oguta Lake in Imo (the second largest lake in Nigeria) and its confluence with Urashi River. I hear that the two waters (Oguta Lake and Urashi River) do not mix and can be seen diffferently
2. Ogbunike Cave in Anambra
3. Arochukwu Cave temple in Abia State showing the famous slave route to Calabar
4. Azumini Blue River In Abia State. I hear the water is blue in color
5. Uburu Salt Lake in Ebonyi State
6. Enugu rolling hills along Enugu-Nsukka Expressway.
More=====================
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by 0hsisi: 1:12am On Dec 09, 2009
Nchara di kwa careful.
Don't announce your arrival or go showing off, lay low and you'll be fine.
I had fun last Christmas and wish I could go again now but no money
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by OgidiBoy(m): 1:15am On Dec 09, 2009
Bayosisi is now Ohsisi shocked shocked

How many times will this woman keep getting baned sad
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by 0hsisi: 1:35am On Dec 09, 2009
OgidiBoy:

Bayosisi is now Ohsisi shocked shocked

How many times will this woman keep getting baned sad

see my signature and know why
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by ZE: 6:36pm On Dec 09, 2009
Chei!!! this post dikwa egwu.

Cant think of any special historical landmarks.
May be you need to consider mbari cultural center at owerri or you look beyond Igbo land and visit Tinapa and Obudu cattle ranch in Calaba.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Nchara: 6:56pm On Dec 09, 2009
Thanks Ohsisi. I will be ok.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Nchara: 6:57pm On Dec 09, 2009
ZE:

Chei!!! this post dikwa egwu.

Cant think of any special historical landmarks.
May be you need to consider mbari cultural center at owerri or you look beyond Igbo land and visit Tinapa and Obudu cattle ranch in Calaba.

Is Tinapa historical? Thanks anyways, but am more interested in places in Igboland.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Nchara: 6:59pm On Dec 09, 2009
I understand there is a waterfall somewhere in Anambra or Enugu. Can anyone confirm this with exact location? Thanks.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2009
You may also visit@ Abadaba lake in Etiti.
Ojukwu's bunker at Madonna, Etiti
War museum Umuahia.
Ohanaeze secretariat at Enugu.
The birth place of King Jaja at Amaigbo.
The palace of Asagba of Asaba.
Eke Elelenwa at Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Nchara: 10:48pm On Dec 09, 2009
Andre Uweh:

You may also visit@ Abadaba lake in Etiti.
Ojukwu's bunker at Madonna, Etiti
War museum Umuahia.
Ohanaeze secretariat at Enugu.
The birth place of King Jaja at Amaigbo.
The palace of Asagba of Asaba.
Eke Elelenwa at Port Harcourt.

Thanks. Have been to the War Museum in Umuahia. Very fascinating place indeed.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Hotstepper(f): 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2009
maybe Agulu Lake
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 11:23pm On Dec 09, 2009
Visit the monument of Nigerian coal miners killed in 1949 ,Iva Valley.
Okpara square Enugu.
Trans Amadi zoo, Port Harcourt.
Ochanja market Onitsha.
Ariara mkt Aba
Eke-oha mkt (Ahia ohuru).
33 factory at Awo-omama
Nwoku paper mill at Isinweke
You may also see the cultural festival of Southern Okigwe people taking place this December/January popularly known as Iwa-Akwa. Umunumu Mbano, Umuihi Ihitte/Uboma, Okwuohia Obowo etc.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by obiem(m): 9:38am On Dec 10, 2009
Udi hills in Enugu

Venue for the 4th Gulder Ultimate Search

Breath taking scenery

The Okpara mine is another old relic

where coal miners were under for days during the civil war
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 11:30am On Dec 10, 2009
Visit Igbo-Ukwu in Anambra state for Archaelogical excavations of Thurstan Shaw and see the works of Nri Kingdom and the proof that the kingdom is the oldest established kingdom in Nigeria.
You may go eastwards to Arochukwu and see the remnants of Ibinu Ukpabi at Arochukwu.
Go northeast from Arochukwu to Afikpo and watch Nkwa Umuagbogho display this xmas period. You may find a wife from the troop incase you are not married yet.
To the central Igbo region, a trip to Okigwe will exhibit eastern Nigerian ceramic industries that provided a lot of fortune to the then Eastern region. Do not leave Okigwe without watching some Atilogwu dancers.
You may drive 20 minutes south of Okigwe to Anara Mbano and participate in Anara day this xmas.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 10:37pm On Oct 08, 2010
Hotel Presidential Enugu built in the 60's still stands taste of time. A worthy tourist site.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by Onlytruth(m): 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2010
@ Andre Uweh

I'm impressed at your knowledge of Igboland. cool
I'm jealous. cry
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 1:32am On Oct 09, 2010
Onlytruth:

@ Andre Uweh

I'm impressed at your knowledge of Igboland. cool
I'm jealous. cry
May your days be long.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by shotster50(m): 1:49am On Oct 09, 2010
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Ogbunike Cave in Anambra.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 2:22am On Oct 09, 2010
shotster50:

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Ogbunike Cave in Anambra.
Check no 2 by the poster-Nchara. He did mention Ogbunike cave.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by ezeagu(m): 2:34am On Oct 09, 2010
I was shocked when I saw that this was in Igboland:

Ohum waterfall, Enugu

[img]http://4.bp..com/_KOq6AlodkJI/RyCIFv9vA0I/AAAAAAAAAqY/1Ul9INE51PA/s400/AWHUM+WATER+FALLS+-+ENUGU+STATE+-+SOUTH+EAST+NIGERIA4.jpg[/img]

Visit a 300 year old Igbo war tower in Ukpor

http://www.nacd.gov.ng/Anambra_state_Tourist_sites.htm

Enugu's hills just being wasted and waiting to be made millions off of, can you imagine if a movie industry takes a strong hold in the city and tourists start flocking to Enugu, do you know how much a house built here could cost?

[img]http://www.cityfarmer.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/enugu.jpg[/img]

Mehn, we have so much potential. . . .
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by shotster50(m): 2:46am On Oct 09, 2010
@ Ezeagu

Do you by any chance know where that building is at Nkpor
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by ezeagu(m): 2:53am On Oct 09, 2010
shotster50:

@ Ezeagu

Do you by any chance know where that building is at Nkpor

Folow the link at the bottom of the picture and then scroll down on that page.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by shotster50(m): 3:24am On Oct 09, 2010
@ Ezeagu, cheers man.
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2010
Government College Umuahia (1929). This famous college produced celebrated writers such as Chinua Achebe, Emeka Ike, Elechi Amadi, INC Aniebo,, Ken Saro-wiwa, Christopher Okigbo and Gabriel Okara.
Apart from men of letters, Famous GCU alumni include master artist Ben Enwonwu, Jaja Wachukwu, Okoi Arikpo, Victor Mukete, Dr Endley (Southern Cameroon), Dr J.O.J Okezie, Bede3 Okigbo, E.J Allagoa, Laz Ekwueme and Dr Dagogo-Fubara.
Also are: Orji Uzor Kalu, Achike Udenwa, George Kurubo, Alex Madiebo, Tony Eze, Tim Onwuatuegwu, Emelifionwu etc.
Great Umuahians.

Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by AndreUweh(m): 11:05am On Dec 17, 2011
The Niger bridge at Onitsha, may be this bridge should be renamed and known as:Chukwuemeka Ojukwu bridge.

Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by kaleden: 4:38am On Jan 30, 2013
Here is the complete lists of many historical places to visit ever as ranked by buffs worldwide. Any of us can vote on this list of historical places, making it a truly trust worthy way to find the best landmarks in the history. Thanks!!
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by geeez: 7:39am On Jan 30, 2013
Azu River
Okija Shrine
East-West road

......runs from thread
Re: Landmarks In Igboland-please Help Populate by remarkD(m): 8:21am On Jan 30, 2013
Wooord! That's my alma mater smiley Didnt Gowon attend this schoool too? i think i had heard something about that ... 2 shot was one of my seniors back then, and his lil bro... son of a gun that i gave "pay" and he saw me one morning "dodging" morning assembly, and placed one of my cheeks in one of his palms and gave me a dirty slap with his other hand. Na God go punish am.

The school compound is so vast, huge fields everywhere, and the buildings are built so strategically ... i noticed it was in a circle, with the quadrangle in the middle, that you start from one part of the circle, (JS1) and by the time you get to SS3 you are on the opposite side of the circle and then go off tangent to graduate. the dorms (Cozens, nile, Niger, Simpson, Fisher, Erekosem, Kent, School and Wareham house which was mine) are spread across the different routes to the main class rooms and offices, but nice sturctures, albeit old, you see the cherry trees and how they all had lawns here and there, paths all when you concentrate on it, see that it is really beautiful).

i have a smile on my face cause i really miss that school, sitting under the trees, huge trees and roots, telling stories, watching different soccer matches, or just gisting and enjoying the shade.
The staff building is the kinda houses you see here in North America, made of wood and ceramics or something... but the floor is wood, the only place cement is used is for these pillars, short square-like pillars that is holding up the floors of the building, and the steps of course.
when i was graduating though, we had a principal that in my opinion, was up to no good. Son of a biscuit was planning to plan palm trees in the quadrangle! i mean who does that! and he was cutting down beautiful trees and using it for wood to do constructions around campus! Who does that?! and instead of hiring labor... he will be out to capture SS3 students to do the labor~! Who does that?! SS3 when you are to be enjoying your 5 or 6 years of oppression under prefects whom were seen as gods; - dunno where he got peace corps from in their uniforms to be patrolling campus, idly... we fought them back shaa lol but that was part of the experience, i must say, that i miss, even manual labor which i hated then, i am missing nown...
Good thing was that those whom you started JS1 with, are the same peeps, pretty much, that you end up in SS3 with, so you get to know each other really well and form bonds and friendships as you go through the whole process together, as a team, per se.
not going to uni in Nigeria, makes secondary school (day student albeit) one of my lifes most memorable experience and i think about it all the time. sad thing is that peeps have moved on, i call my fellow Umuahians from time to time and it seems they all went different ways in University which took over secondary life for them... for me, it was more of getting adjusted to the new and different life in ala bekee.

Anywho, moving on with the topic of the thread.., did you say Ojukwu bunker is in Anambra? there is this underground passage thingy at the War museum in Umuahia... somewhere around there, i heard there is an Ojukwu there, is this not so? I never saw it though, unfortunately.

The hills in Enugu are indeed a sight so beautiful. even in Okigwe, lots of small hills and vallies that just make an unwinding stretch along the highway is just amazing; i recall going to Uturu International on visiting days to see my brother and we'll see all these winding roads and vallies and i'd be scared our car will slip and fall in there lol shouldnt there be barriers aloong these roads that partition the vallies? and did i mention the crazy amount of cashew trees along the roads that seems to go on for waht seems like kilometers upon kilometers?

Andre Uweh: Government College Umuahia (1929). This famous college produced celebrated writers such as Chinua Achebe, Emeka Ike, Elechi Amadi, INC Aniebo,, Ken Saro-wiwa, Christopher Okigbo and Gabriel Okara.
Apart from men of letters, Famous GCU alumni include master artist Ben Enwonwu, Jaja Wachukwu, Okoi Arikpo, Victor Mukete, Dr Endley (Southern Cameroon), Dr J.O.J Okezie, Bede3 Okigbo, E.J Allagoa, Laz Ekwueme and Dr Dagogo-Fubara.
Also are: Orji Uzor Kalu, Achike Udenwa, George Kurubo, Alex Madiebo, Tony Eze, Tim Onwuatuegwu, Emelifionwu etc.
Great Umuahians.

(1) (Reply)

Hunger Looms …as Hausa Traders Stop Food Supplies To Other Parts Of The Country / Buhari/Bakare Live On NTA / Fired Ministers ,Their State Of Origin & Reason(s) For Their Sack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.