Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue (25841 Views)

NCC Asks Telecoms To Give Subscribers Extra 14 Days To Use Up Their Data Sub / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services / Glo Launches Cheaper Calls To 30 Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by tribalistseun: 7:33am On Feb 20, 2017
Very funny
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 20, 2017
Are they under a spell shocked shocked angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by RockHard: 7:33am On Feb 20, 2017
SMH. Instead of them to up their game by investing in and having a stake in these new technologies that are threatening/disrupting their business model they want to ban them, they are wasting their time coz their days are numbered if they continue thinking this way.

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 7:33am On Feb 20, 2017
This country self, they just want to make life harder by all means

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by TPAND(f): 7:33am On Feb 20, 2017
Are we. It paying for data. Which kind revenue be that. I am waiting for this telcos sef when internet will become a free and basic commodity and necessity of life.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by seangy4konji: 7:36am On Feb 20, 2017
you mean this telthieves no go allow us rest after all the scam dem deh run on us

God no go give dem do...

Person weh no buy dem data deh make skype calls

Awon asinwin.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by davidif: 7:36am On Feb 20, 2017
Truth234:
As the economic crisis continued to weigh on businesses, telecommunication firms are planning to adopt drastic measures to boost revenue.

Telecoms companies in the country are planning to curb losses from international calls and meet a revenue target of N20 trillion by blocking subscribers from using Skype and other internet call services, called Over-the-Top, the Punch reported on Sunday.

According to the report, subscribers might also be prevented from voice and video calls on Facebook and Whatsapp, among other OTT services.

A manager at one of the major telecommunication companies in the country, who preferred not to be named said, “It is an aggressive approach to stop further revenue loss to OTT players on international calls, having already lost about N100tn between 2012 and 2017.”

The manager added that “If we fail to be pro-active by taking cogent steps now, then there are indications that we may lose between N20tn and N30tn, or so, by the end of 2018.”

This further support Ovum report, a United Kingdom-based research and analytics company that about $386 billion would be lost over a period of six years, between 2012 and 2018, from Nigerian customers using the OTT voice applications.

“Generally, the main fear of the telecoms operators here will be that customers will increasingly use Skype as a substitute for conventional international calls,” said Mattew Reed, the Principal Analyst at Informa Telecoms and Media.

Whereas telecoms operators in the country have said international calls made up the bulk of their revenue due to Nigeria’s large diaspora population, but that the Nigerian Communications Commission is not doing enough to regulate the sector and keep them in business.

However, the Director, Public Affairs, NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, said, “We don’t have any evidence that we do not regulate the Internet.”

http://investorsking.com/telecoms-to-block-skype-whatsapp-calls-to-boost-revenue/

Goodness!!!! some of the measures being bandied about are so ridiculous its not even funny any more. I mean really? Is this what they are about to do now?

On a side note, is this even legal in the first place?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Fessy09(m): 7:38am On Feb 20, 2017
lol..... this guys are funny . make them try anything see weather we no go scatter. crylol..... this guys are funny . make them try anything see weather we no go scatter.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Decryptor(m): 7:38am On Feb 20, 2017
Thank God for VPN.

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 20, 2017
This is not nice ooo.. How I go use call my babe now for abroad. Useless people
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Sebastine1994(m): 7:44am On Feb 20, 2017
That is not how to go about it. People buy data with money. Blocking those service will not change anything. Calls are too cost. Unless you reduce the cost of call then its a wasted effort
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by ysmd: 7:45am On Feb 20, 2017
We have wifi grin

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by martineverest(m): 7:45am On Feb 20, 2017
Pavore9:
How subscribers choose to use their data, is none of the telcos' business.
u said it all...after all,we buy data from dem
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Joephat(m): 7:46am On Feb 20, 2017
this ppl r just after making life miserable for common man.

WhatsApp call has been helping me to sustain my relationship and if this happens, I'm sorry I mite loose my babe

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by rasputinn(m): 7:48am On Feb 20, 2017
Truth234:
As the economic crisis continued to weigh on businesses, telecommunication firms are planning to adopt drastic measures to boost revenue.

Telecoms companies in the country are planning to curb losses from international calls and meet a revenue target of N20 trillion by blocking subscribers from using Skype and other internet call services, called Over-the-Top, the Punch reported on Sunday.

According to the report, subscribers might also be prevented from voice and video calls on Facebook and Whatsapp, among other OTT services.

A manager at one of the major telecommunication companies in the country, who preferred not to be named said, “It is an aggressive approach to stop further revenue loss to OTT players on international calls, having already lost about N100tn between 2012 and 2017.”

The manager added that “If we fail to be pro-active by taking cogent steps now, then there are indications that we may lose between N20tn and N30tn, or so, by the end of 2018.”

This further support Ovum report, a United Kingdom-based research and analytics company that about $386 billion would be lost over a period of six years, between 2012 and 2018, from Nigerian customers using the OTT voice applications.

“Generally, the main fear of the telecoms operators here will be that customers will increasingly use Skype as a substitute for conventional international calls,” said Mattew Reed, the Principal Analyst at Informa Telecoms and Media.

Whereas telecoms operators in the country have said international calls made up the bulk of their revenue due to Nigeria’s large diaspora population, but that the Nigerian Communications Commission is not doing enough to regulate the sector and keep them in business.

However, the Director, Public Affairs, NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, said, “We don’t have any evidence that we do not regulate the Internet.”

http://investorsking.com/telecoms-to-block-skype-whatsapp-calls-to-boost-revenue/

So in the preceding years that they didnt lose this revenue,how much tax did they pay to the government
FIRS are you watching,please go do through forensic audit on their books
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Lasskeey: 7:50am On Feb 20, 2017
cool

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by tosyne2much(m): 7:52am On Feb 20, 2017
wizzyrich:
Is it not money we use to purchase data to make these calls or na free ? These people are funny.
The thing sef tire me ooo baba
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by tosyne2much(m): 7:54am On Feb 20, 2017
NCC, always looking for a way to make life unbearable for the Youths
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by ItsawrapOutfit: 7:54am On Feb 20, 2017
These telcos are just clueless and mentally lazy to strategise how to influence their buttom line. The real question is how are the Telcos is other countries even with less population making money to stay afloat?

This sector should understand that though the cost of providing infrastructure to stay afloat may be high which I believe would be one of their main defence, the high population of the country is also a great asset, if properly managed with sound, efficient and effective strategies not vision and goal most of them call strategies.

We need a mental baptism in this Nation of Western Africa
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by dajx: 7:54am On Feb 20, 2017
This country is the worse thing that can ever happen to anyone that wants to run a business and compete globally.

New technologies that make running global businesses seamless is what they want to ban..

How did we get here as a nation? #sighs
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by horllyma(m): 7:55am On Feb 20, 2017
Stupid people
i bought data with my hard earned money and they still want to restrict me from using the data.

Oh heaven come to our rescue,
how long.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 20, 2017
wizzyrich:
Is it not money we use to purchase data to make these calls or na free ? These people are funny.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by tosyne2much(m): 7:56am On Feb 20, 2017
Joephat:
this ppl r just after making life miserable for common man.

WhatsApp call has been helping me to sustain my relationship and if this happens, I'm sorry I mite loose my babe
Bro, whatsapp call has been a good alternative for making calls.. I don't just know the problem of NCC
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by pannyman(m): 7:58am On Feb 20, 2017
Beware of fake news.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by emmydee(m): 8:04am On Feb 20, 2017
But it's not as if they do not make profit, they just want to make extra billions by operating like touts!

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by NevetsIbot(m): 8:05am On Feb 20, 2017
this better be fake!!!!

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Luvdk(f): 8:08am On Feb 20, 2017
Mtchew
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:10am On Feb 20, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if the people who sit down to make all this decisions are humans.

1 Like

Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by electropiz(m): 8:13am On Feb 20, 2017
We go still purchase vpn dey facebook, skype n al odas
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by Rainmaker69(m): 8:16am On Feb 20, 2017
This would be illegal! Its the sort of move that NCC should kick against. First they increased the price floor, now they want to proscript internet usage. It cant be true.
Re: Telecoms To Block Skype, Whatsapp Calls, To Boost Revenue by def111(m): 8:17am On Feb 20, 2017
Na this useless MTN ideas be this..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Glo! Glo! Call Me Back. / How Much Influencers Earn On Social Media / Twitter Begins Removing Blue Checks From Users Who Don’t Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.