Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,643 members, 7,823,829 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Where Did All The Hausa People Go? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Did All The Hausa People Go? (1912 Views)

Hausa People Attack Reason Onya At Slaughter House In Port-Harcourt / The Hausa Fulani, The Yoruba And The Slaughter In Ile Ife (1) By Fani-kayode / 'Buhari Let My People Go': IPOB Supporters Storm Abuja Court Today For Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Newworldorder: 4:26pm On Feb 20, 2017
Alright, let me explain the random title. I am curious as to why in over 10 years of living in the United States, I have never met a Hausa man or woman in my age range. As far as I am concerned, Hausa people are practically extinct. Of course, I know they exist, I grew up and went to school with Hausas. However, I have only met 2 Hausa people in the U.S. I met a Hausa man (and official pervert) while working at Blockbuster and a relative of mine is married to a Hausa lady. Neither of these two are my age mates and I am desperately seeking Hausa people for reasons that will become clear as you continue reading.

How did this issue come about? Well, my brother-in-law (a non-Nigerian) recently asked me to talk to him about the main ethnic groups in Nigeria. I had no problem talking about Igbo people and Yoruba people. I talked to hime Efik people, Ijaws and the Calabari, to name a few. When it was time to talk about Hausa people, however, I stuttered. It wasn't because I didn't know what to say, it was because all I had to say were negative stereotypes. That made me worry. I couldn't help but think about how some white people always claim to have at least one black friend and thus are not racist. Well, I couldn't even make a similar claim! I have no Hausa people as close friends or acquaintances and am now worried that I have a serious bias against Hausa people.

So, am I biased against Hausa people? I like to think not as I wouldn't have any reason to be. I have never had any bad experiences with any Hausa people, except for the pervert I referred to earlier. I have fond memories of sharing meat with muslim Hausa and non Hausas as is customary after Ramadan. I also have fond memories of drinkng funa de nunu (I hope I got that right) as a child when my mother was transferred to Abuja. Yet, I do have a lot of negative stereotypes in my head. Living in Lagos, a lot of the 'gatemen' were Hausa and I still to this day wonder if they, as a group, encourage schooling as much as other ethnic groups. I also, can't help but think of a girl I went to secondary school with who was rumored to be married off to a wealthy Alhaji quickly after she took her SS6 exams. Oh, and the fact that so many of Nigeria's military dictatorships were lead by Hausa men e.g. Babangida, Abacha.

When talking to my brother-in-law, I quickly realized I hadn't said anything positive, so I dug deep into my memory and remembered books I read about Hausa history. I told him the story of Queen Amina, explained that Hausa people tend to have a serious horse culture, play lots of polo, have a lovely language and have stories of great warriors and so on.

So, again, I ask - where did all the Hausa people go? My uncle explained that he knows a lot of Hausa people. He's 64 years young. He thought the reason why I didn't know any was because some Hausa people are a little conservative and I would not meet them at the normal Nigerian social functions. I figured that was fine, but how come I had not met them at the usual intellectual arenas? Such as conferences or institutions of learning. Not even at my local African store or any store where I live. Before you start thinking that that sounds ridiculous, please consider that the residential community in which I live is packed with Nigerians. In fact, my city has so many Nigerians that we have a Redeemed Church around the corner and you can never leave your house without seeing gele, buba ati iro, and hearing Efik, Yoruba, Igbo or even Calabari. You constantly see mothers screaming out for little Chioma or Lanre at the local Target store, Walmart store, Safeway and Shoppers supermarket or even the many playgrounds and parks that litter my neighborhood. In fact, in my little part of my residential community I can count at least 4 Nigerian families within seeing distance.

Anyway, what really has me worried above all else, is a concern that there is a disconnect between most southerners and northerners. I worry that southerners have had the opportunity to create social, intellectual, business, romantic and financial relationships with each other and not with northerners. I am concerned that in the future, this lack of interaction with northerners could have negative consequences and possibly foster a lack of trust and understanding. You might think that is an exaggeration but remember that this lack of understanding became evident to me during my conversation with my brother in law. Now, I wonder if there are others out there with the same predicament - not knowing what to say about certain Nigerians.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by dreamworld: 4:31pm On Feb 20, 2017
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
Thats bCuz they dnt give a fu*ck about what you think...

You want to meet hausas then go to the north, 90% of the northerners understand/speak hausa.

There are thousands of Hausas in the US, they dnt go there to hustle so you won't see them roaming the street

4 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by saintikechi(m): 4:39pm On Feb 20, 2017
they are busy making bombs instead of making suya.

10 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by hurricaneChris: 4:41pm On Feb 20, 2017
Go to Kuwait. Yemen, Saudi, UAE, Oman, Pakistan, probably Syria, etc. You will see them

4 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by koma1(m): 4:43pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hausa people are not fond of traveling to Western countries. They mostly go there for education
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by jamislaw(m): 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2017
saintikechi:
I think you need a brain.

1 Like

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by babyfaceafrica: 4:49pm On Feb 20, 2017
If you want to see them..you will......buy you are not....Hausa's are many out there,but unlike southerners,they mingle mostly with themselves,they also live in colonies....seek and yea shall find
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by iambijo(m): 5:04pm On Feb 20, 2017
koma1:
Hausa people are not fond of traveling to Western countries. They mostly go there for education
who told you that ?
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by iambijo(m): 5:04pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hmn
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by MyGeneration(m): 5:06pm On Feb 20, 2017
Hausas hardly travel out of Nigeria except for islam, tourism or education.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by momentarylapse: 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2017
A question fit for abudul mutallab and his Nike shoes! grin
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Feb 20, 2017
DeAvenger:

You want to meet hausas then go to the north, 90% of the northerners understand/speak hausa.

There are thousands of Hausas in the US, they dnt go there to hustle so you won't see them roaming the street

Thousands, oga? Fear God nah.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by APCHaram: 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2017
They are all in a retreat in SAMBISA forest

1 Like

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Huddler: 5:45pm On Feb 20, 2017
Newworldorder:

Alright, let me explain the random title. I am curious as to why in over 10 years of living in the United States, I have never met a Hausa man or woman in my age range. As far as I am concerned, Hausa people are practically extinct. Of course, I know they exist, I grew up and went to school with Hausas. However, I have only met 2 Hausa people in the U.S. I met a Hausa man (and official pervert) while working at Blockbuster and a relative of mine is married to a Hausa lady. Neither of these two are my age mates and I am desperately seeking Hausa people for reasons that will become clear as you continue reading.

How did this issue come about? Well, my brother-in-law (a non-Nigerian) recently asked me to talk to him about the main ethnic groups in Nigeria. I had no problem talking about Igbo people and Yoruba people. I talked to hime Efik people, Ijaws and the Calabari, to name a few. When it was time to talk about Hausa people, however, I stuttered. It wasn't because I didn't know what to say, it was because all I had to say were negative stereotypes. That made me worry. I couldn't help but think about how some white people always claim to have at least one black friend and thus are not racist. Well, I couldn't even make a similar claim! I have no Hausa people as close friends or acquaintances and am now worried that I have a serious bias against Hausa people.

So, am I biased against Hausa people? I like to think not as I wouldn't have any reason to be. I have never had any bad experiences with any Hausa people, except for the pervert I referred to earlier. I have fond memories of sharing meat with muslim Hausa and non Hausas as is customary after Ramadan. I also have fond memories of drinkng funa de nunu (I hope I got that right) as a child when my mother was transferred to Abuja. Yet, I do have a lot of negative stereotypes in my head. Living in Lagos, a lot of the 'gatemen' were Hausa and I still to this day wonder if they, as a group, encourage schooling as much as other ethnic groups. I also, can't help but think of a girl I went to secondary school with who was rumored to be married off to a wealthy Alhaji quickly after she took her SS6 exams. Oh, and the fact that so many of Nigeria's military dictatorships were lead by Hausa men e.g. Babangida, Abacha.

When talking to my brother-in-law, I quickly realized I hadn't said anything positive, so I dug deep into my memory and remembered books I read about Hausa history. I told him the story of Queen Amina, explained that Hausa people tend to have a serious horse culture, play lots of polo, have a lovely language and have stories of great warriors and so on.

So, again, I ask - where did all the Hausa people go? My uncle explained that he knows a lot of Hausa people. He's 64 years young. He thought the reason why I didn't know any was because some Hausa people are a little conservative and I would not meet them at the normal Nigerian social functions. I figured that was fine, but how come I had not met them at the usual intellectual arenas? Such as conferences or institutions of learning. Not even at my local African store or any store where I live. Before you start thinking that that sounds ridiculous, please consider that the residential community in which I live is packed with Nigerians. In fact, my city has so many Nigerians that we have a Redeemed Church around the corner and you can never leave your house without seeing gele, buba ati iro, and hearing Efik, Yoruba, Igbo or even Calabari. You constantly see mothers screaming out for little Chioma or Lanre at the local Target store, Walmart store, Safeway and Shoppers supermarket or even the many playgrounds and parks that litter my neighborhood. In fact, in my little part of my residential community I can count at least 4 Nigerian families within seeing distance.

Anyway, what really has me worried above all else, is a concern that there is a disconnect between most southerners and northerners. I worry that southerners have had the opportunity to create social, intellectual, business, romantic and financial relationships with each other and not with northerners. I am concerned that in the future, this lack of interaction with northerners could have negative consequences and possibly foster a lack of trust and understanding. You might think that is an exaggeration but remember that this lack of understanding became evident to me during my conversation with my brother in law. Now, I wonder if there are others out there with the same predicament - not knowing what to say about certain Nigerians.

Hausa people are scare in the US cos can't US contain them, US dont tolerate rapists and pedophiles.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Feb 20, 2017
Am afraid you're wrong. Hausa do travel to Us and other western countries. However they hardly live in clustered environment that comprises Nigerians alone, they are diversified.

Again: visit Nigerian market, you will see the 3 major tribes (Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo) mingling and protecting each other businesses all for the purpose of making Money.

Cc: Newworldorder
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Almaiga: 6:56pm On Feb 20, 2017
DeAvenger:

Opp, I advice you read this carefully. This is the answer you seek.

2 Likes

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by nengibo: 7:18pm On Feb 20, 2017
Newworldorder:

Kalabari is a tribe of Ijaw people and is spelt with a k not a c,
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by 25ahmad(m): 7:42pm On Feb 20, 2017
saintikechi:
they are busy operating baby factory instead of get getting married
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:57pm On Feb 20, 2017
People get worries eh.
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by PatriotTemidayo: 9:46pm On Feb 20, 2017
They went to London with Buhari......... cheesy
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by timecapsule: 10:14pm On Feb 20, 2017
They hate anything WESTERN, so you can't find them where you are looking for them?
Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Omoluabi16(m): 10:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
Why do we like pouring invective on ourselves? Each tribe which makes up Nigeria is dependent on each other, there is no superior one.

O.P I think it has to do with religion, and misunderstanding down here which is carried abroad. Also, there is no room for interaction because 99% of the hausa's, we see in the south are gatemen, beggars, shoemakers and abokis.

so NL dey censor the word ab0ki as northerners. smh

1 Like

Re: Where Did All The Hausa People Go? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Feb 20, 2017
Your stereotype is guided by wrong perception of our people. We have Hausa folks doing well from the Academic field- broadcasting- manufacturing.

(1) (Reply)

Video Of A Nigerian Beaten In China / Sit-at-home Order Observed In 75 Countries, Says IPOB / Jerusalem: What If Clinton Won

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.