Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:56 PM

Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. (3843 Views)

World Cup 2018: Semi-final Kick-off Times, Venues, Tournament Full Schedule / Team Nigeria For Global First Robot Olympics In Washington (Photo) / Poor Officiating From Referee Folusho Ajayi Ruins Opening Match Of NPFL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 6:49pm On Feb 20, 2017
The Rio Olympics is the 28th Summer Olympic games.

The first one took place in Greece in 1896 and since then the event has been held in 19 different countries.

But do you ever stop and wonder just what happened to all of those huge venues purposely built to host the world's most famous games?

Less than six months ago, the eyes of the world were on the huge Olympic stadiums in Rio.

Billions of dollars were spent on bringing the flagship sporting event to Brazil, with the overall cost estimated to be around $12billion.

This was at a time when the Brazilian economy was in a huge recession, and state workers were being paid late, if at all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4241412/Brazil-s-12-billion-Olympic-legacy-lies-ruins.html

http://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned-olympic-venues/

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Feb 20, 2017
12billion grin grin grin Kai,,

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 6:58pm On Feb 20, 2017
Then and now: The aquatics stadium, used for last year's Olympic and Paralympic Games, is currently in a state of disrepair.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 20, 2017
Terrible,, only one pic?
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 20, 2017
See as pool looks like fish pond.
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:30pm On Feb 20, 2017
The thread bare pitch of the world-famous Maracana Stadium is a far cry from the days when it hosted the World Cup final and fixtures in last year's Olympic and Paralympic Games.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:35pm On Feb 20, 2017
Part of the Olympic Aquatics Centre in Rio de Janeiro.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:37pm On Feb 20, 2017
A huge pile of seats, which have been torn up from the stands, inside the stadium.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:40pm On Feb 20, 2017
Ripped seats, where the stadium has fallen into disrepair.

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:50pm On Feb 20, 2017
Bobsled Track, Sarajevo, 1984 Winter Olympics Venue.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:51pm On Feb 20, 2017
Olympic Village, Athens, 2004 Summer Olympics Venue.

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:53pm On Feb 20, 2017
Swimming Pool, Berlin, 1936 Summer Olympics Venue.

village in Elstal, west of Berlin.

The village, which housed over 4,000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992.

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Rich4god(m): 7:54pm On Feb 20, 2017
Following....
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 7:55pm On Feb 20, 2017
Olympic Sports Complex, Sarajevo, 1984 Winter Olympics Venue.

A graveyard has been established in what was once part of the Olympic Sports Complex in Sarajevo for the 1984 Winter Olympics.

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 8:05pm On Feb 20, 2017
Athens, 2004 Summer Olympics Venue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Explorers(m): 8:12pm On Feb 20, 2017
Summer Olympics, 1936 - Olympic Village, Berlin.

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by kllinxman(m): 8:13pm On Feb 20, 2017
Our government are visioners, no wonder they dont build such capital consuming infrastructure just to impress the world momentarily....

2 Likes

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by lordpf: 8:28pm On Feb 20, 2017
and I though Nigeria is the only country without proper maintenance culture

6 Likes

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 20, 2017
lordpf:

My thoughts exactly but trust me this is much better compared with Nigeria.

You need to visit out National Stadium or the Tesljm stadium and see the mess it is.

I'm talking about going inside.

I visited our national theatre in December and almost wept. What a waste of space and resource.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Segadem(m): 9:24pm On Feb 20, 2017
lordpf:
it is very very hard to say, but how can u pump money for maintenance of something that is not in use?

3 Likes

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by lordpf: 10:09pm On Feb 20, 2017
Segadem:

it is very very hard to say, but how can u pump money for maintenance of something that is not in use?
then y build if u would end up abandoning it
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Segadem(m): 11:46pm On Feb 20, 2017
lordpf:

then y build if u would end up abandoning it
... that's why they want to review the hosting rite
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Evidence1000(m): 11:53pm On Feb 20, 2017
...and come to think of it, I thought it was only in Nigeria that one could see such?
This is a waste.
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by freshness2020: 8:32am On Feb 21, 2017
Nigeria, come and see your people.
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Shegzy8(m): 9:38am On Feb 21, 2017
Ariel20:

My thoughts exactly but trust me this is much better compared with Nigeria.

You need to visit out National Stadium or the Tesljm stadium and see the mess it is.

I'm talking about going inside.

I visited our national theatre in December and almost wept. What a waste of space and resource.
Bro teslim is in a good state because it is controlled by the state government

3 Likes

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Segadem(m): 9:41am On Feb 21, 2017
Shegzy8:
Bro teslim is in a good state because it is controlled by the state government
yeah
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by ichommy(m): 4:46pm On Feb 21, 2017
Following.............. Too Bad. undecided
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by robosky02(m): 5:16pm On Feb 21, 2017
come to national stadium lagos and see the best grin
Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by mikron(m): 2:17am On Feb 22, 2017
since no be only naija get worse maintenance culture wetin concern me?

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by robosky02(m): 12:02pm On Feb 22, 2017
mikron:
since no be only naija get worse maintenance culture wetin concern me?

grin

1 Like

Re: Brazil's $12B Olympics In Ruins, Abandoned Olympics Venues Around The World. by Icon4s(m): 1:25pm On Feb 22, 2017
National stadium, Lagos.

Used for :
-The 1972 All African games
-The 1980 African Cup of nations
-1999 FIFA World youth Championships
-2000 African Cup of nations
-Slaughter ground of Green Eagles and Super Eagles of the 90s and beyond. cry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Messi Admits CR7 Is Better Than Him / BREAKING NEWS: Mason Greenwood Never Raped Me- Mason Greenwoods Ex / Our Falconets Are Being Shabbily Treated By Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.