Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

School Management Software! Anybody? - Software/Programmer Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Software/Programmer Market / School Management Software! Anybody? (23020 Views)

SCHOOLFORCE™: A Powerful School Management Software, By A Teacher-developer / Nursery/Primary/Secondary School Management Software (30% Marketing Commission) / Complete School Management Software With Payroll @ 50k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Management Software! Anybody? by DiJuice(m): 3:33pm On Jan 18, 2007
Hi, People, I am in need of a school management system.

If i can buy a proudly Nigerian version I will be glad. If not i will like to work with developers to build one. Cheers.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by okmich: 4:04pm On Jan 18, 2007
I know of one A. T. Sesan in Lagos that has the software. He said he designed it with VB and MSSQL. I was about to help him market it but , So you can contact him.
Try google to get his url but I think it is www.atsesan.com

If you still insist on design you can get me at okmich2002@yahoo.com

Michael
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by parosky(m): 4:58pm On Jan 18, 2007
@DiJuice
Contact parosky1@yahoo.com
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by El(m): 7:33pm On Jan 18, 2007
Please call Elvis Dagana on 08036644756. I am a developer, I could help you in that department.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by xeonwlan: 11:31am On Jan 19, 2007
I know of a company that has it. Maxen Data Base Services in Abuja. how seriouse do you need it . call me 08062685918. i can help you get them . or email: xeon.wireless@yahoo.com
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by alexis(m): 7:54pm On Jan 19, 2007
can give you free open source solutions, I will only charge for custom coding, design, implementation and administration.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Afam(m): 10:11am On Jan 20, 2007
Why don't you make use of a developer that will simply code what you want as it gives you 100% flexibility, power and control over what you want?

It seems easier to download and tweak codes but the surest route is to make a script do what you want at all times and in most cases coding from scratch might even be faster.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by sbucareer(f): 10:48am On Jan 20, 2007

When you say school management software, do you mean Academic Enrolment System? Well it is a very complex solution; don't listen to anyone here that can provide you a solution by himself alone. It is a myriad task. You need to define you domain problem first and an analyst will consult you with a solution. I said a solution not the solution.

In the Uk the major problems universities have is enrolment system. You have to consider how to integrate these systems in your School Management Software

1. Library
2. Application for entry
3. Courses
4. Staff
5. Students
6. Facilities (Class room)
7. Time table
9. Finance (School fees)
10. Alumni (Ex-students)
11. Results
12. IT infrastructure (If you plan to have a IT infrastructure)
13. Students that are part-time staff
14 etc.

This is not just coding the software. Lot of this project lifecycle i.e. 80% would be in definition of problem domain and producing prototypes to validate and verify the specification.

Unless you want a student to acquire lectures without paying their fees or Student borrowing books without ever returning it without your knowledge etc. If you are going to buy a solution from Nigeria developers ask them which other schools are using it and go and investigate to see if the have any complains with the solution and to what ends is it relevant to their solutions.

I did a research paper on this on my year two that is why I know it is very difficult task. Many post-graduate students still take Academic Enrolment Software as their area of research because there are no proper solutions for it at the moment.

But saying that, there are good solutions for this purpose though. I would recommend you to try and design or solve one problem at a time like Finance, then move to another solution like application.

When you have managed to solve most or all these problem call a software engineer to integrate all these solutions for you. The real benefits are, during each solution you would find out more problems and hopefully address them. This way you do not buy gigantic software with bits and bobs not working and bugs all over everywhere, very frustrating.

Believe me take my advice, it will help you to understand your problem domain that you have not yet foreseen. To come up with a very good SMS (School Management Software) you must have been running some sort of software already.

3 Likes

Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Afam(m): 4:15pm On Jan 20, 2007
sbucareer:

[font=courier][size=10pt]
When you say school management software, do you mean Academic Enrolment System? Well it is a very complex solution; don't listen to anyone here that can provide you a solution by himself alone. It is a myriad task. You need to define you domain problem first and an analyst will consult you with a solution. I said a solution not the solution.

I think you have given a very detailed advice and good one too but I dare say that a single person can provide the solution.

Tasks can only be as complex as the owner wants it to be.

If all the tasks, functionalities and features are clearly spelt out and understood by both the owner and the developer, developing a solution by even one person is not only doable but easy depending on the level of expertise on any programming language.

Programming is all about data manipulation and anyone that understands any programming language to the extent that he/she can do anything with data can build any application.

Put differently, a task that may seem difficult to one person may seem easy to another person.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by nduaj(m): 7:26pm On Jan 20, 2007
hello,
the best option for you would be to contract a developer to develop this solution so it can suit your requirmnts perefetly.

i read about the school solution you posted and really got excited. i am ready to do the job. email ndubuisi_18@yahoo.com if interested.

1 Like

Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by luckyCO(m): 12:07am On Jan 21, 2007
I have written similar programs like that.  What I may do for you is customization which is what u will pay.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by rookie(m): 6:56am On Jan 21, 2007
When you say school management software, do you mean Academic Enrolment System? Well it is a very complex solution;

I definitely agree. It will require a team effort to plan, design, and implement a reliable, robust, less erroneous application of such. Otherwise, you might end up with a sloppy app that isnt worthwhile
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Seun(m): 7:16am On Jan 21, 2007
Which is why, if you're cost-sensitive, you should buy an already designed package via the Internet.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by sbucareer(f): 11:57am On Jan 21, 2007

Although some people are superman and very eager to undertake any task just to get paid. When it comes down to the crunch it become dooms day.

Believe me, application form solution can take you six months to correctly define. Have you considered these type of applicant?

1. Telephone enquiry
2. Website enquiry
3. Face-to-face at the school
4. Transfer from another school
5. Defer student for more than two year like student defer to go and have baby and placement students

The list goes on and on, I know you did not think about this, be honest? There are even more unforeseen problem with application. Let me show you a DFD (Data Flow Diagram) because we are dealing with data of a typical application form of an enrolment system. That is just context diagram and System/Level 0 DFD. It could go up to System/Level 20 DFD

Believe me when I say that the DFD above is erroneous and is open for academic interpretations. But to some extend it will do for a basic application.

The main and important type of this sort of myriad application development is authorizations. How do you group users and access rights? Or can anyone login to the system and view all the finance record or student results?

How do you keep log of users, when and time they logged in and the group application they logged into and what operations do they perform?

My brother, there are many problems with this sort of application development. Even as big as Microsoft is they have never consider to research and produce enrolment software that we all think they should.

The only company that provides credible enrolment software I know is SAP and one American company, I can't remember their name.

Now, think of the problems you would face in Library system? How do you write software to differentiate the same book from another.

Remember you must supply the same book like ten copies if students want to borrow it. How do you automate your system to produce inventory for late book and apply fees. You have to keep record of date students are graduating so they cannot borrow more books and to automate the students that have borrowed books and are graduating and alert the result system to withheld their result until they return the books and all fines paid.

Think about other complex problem associated with enrolment system. Senu is right, you should consider already made solution.

If you are IT enthusiast, you can open you own firm and start researching about solution to enrolment system. That is how Bill Gate started by writing OS that was high in demand at his time. He bought QBASIC and modify it to become BASIC that ran in Atari machine, which was the only personal computer they had in those days before IBM produce IBM PC compatible that also ended up runing DOS upggraded version of BASIC and they keep upgrading it ever since. Today we have BASIC version of upgrade called Vista

1 Like

Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by candylips(m): 10:24pm On Jan 21, 2007
o lord shocked
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by pojutime(m): 1:12pm On Jan 22, 2007
@sbucareer
so are you saying its not possible to develop such a software? do they maintain their manual way of doing things? please explain further.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Afam(m): 1:16pm On Jan 22, 2007
sbucareer:

Although some people are superman and very eager to undertake any task just to get paid. When it comes down to the crunch it become dooms day.

My dear, learn to make statements you are sure of. What has superman got to do with the discussion? That someone can do something well and on time too does not make the person a superman, the person may have taken time to learn what he needed to learn.

As for being eager to undertake tasks just to get paid, I can assure you that not everyone is like that. I removed the link to my business website over 4 months ago because of the number of requests I get especially from this forum for web projects ranging from basic static websites to dynamic (database driven web projects).

Over 70% of requests are usually turned down at my firm so do not mistake my comments to mean soliciting for the job as I cannot even accept any new jobs (that require programming) for the next 2 months.

sbucareer:

Believe me, application form solution can take you six months to correctly define. Have you considered these type of applicant?

1. Telephone enquiry
2. Website enquiry
3. Face-to-face at the school
4. Transfer from another school
5. Defer student for more than two year like student defer to go and have baby and placement students

The list goes on and on, I know you did not think about this, be honest? There are even more unforeseen problem with application. Let me show you a DFD (Data Flow Diagram) because we are dealing with data of a typical application form of an enrolment system. That is just context diagram and System/Level 0 DFD. It could go up to System/Level 20 DFD

Believe me when I say that the DFD above is erroneous and is open for academic interpretations. But to some extend it will do for a basic application.

Please know when to draw a line between wants and needs in any application you may want to develop. Even google started with just one thing in mind, search.

And that explains why nothing concrete will come out of any arrangement until the developer and the owner are very clear on what needs to be done and how those things should be done.

sbucareer:

The main and important type of this type of myriad application development is authorizations. How do you group users and access rights? Or can anyone login to the system and view all the finance record or student results?

How do you keep log of users, when and time they logged in and the group application they logged into and what operations do they perform?

My brother, there are many problems with this sort of application development. Even as big as Microsoft is they have never consider to research and produce enrolment software that we all think they should.

Grouping users and access rights are the simplest of tasks if you asked me. Yes, anyone can login to the system and view all the finance record or student records if the owner wants such functionalities. I did state earlier that a fundamental and complete knowledge about data manipulation is all that is required to web enable any business process.

sbucareer:

The only company that provides credible enrolment software I know is SAP and one American company, I can't remember their name.

Now, think of the problems you would face in Library system? How do you write software to differentiate the same book from another.

I do not know if you have tested all the enrolment software out there to come out with such statement. To differentiate one book from another all that is required is to have parameters that must be unique for a particular book like author name, isbn, date published, title. It is very unlikely for you to have 2 books with exactly the same parameters as the ones stated.

sbucareer:

Remember you must supply the same book like ten copies if students want to borrow it. How do you automate your system to produce inventory for late book and apply fees. You have to keep record of date students are graduating so they cannot borrow more books and to automate the students that have borrowed books and are graduating and alert the result system to withheld their result until they return the books and all fines paid.

Think about other complex problem associated with enrolment system. Senu is right, you should consider already made solution.

Again, it is important to know where the responsibility of the web developer ends and where that of the business owner begins.

Conditional statements will always take care of the different scenarios you are painting above. From preventing students from borrowing books based on their graduation date to alerting the administrators and even sending reminders to the student, if statements will make this work and less than 30 lines of code will do.

Of course, in the absence of a good developer a ready made version makes sense. If you truly write codes from scratch then you will realize that it is far easier to develop own own that to tweak another. The key word is understanding what goes on under the hood, not using an authoring tool that masks the dirty work that makes the web do things.

sbucareer:

If you are IT enthusiast, you can open you own firm and start researching about solution to enrolment system. That is how Bill Gate started by writing OS that was high in demand at his time. He bought QBASIC and modify it to become BASIC that ran in Atari machine, which was the only personal computer they had in those days before IBM produce IBM PC compatible that also ended up runing DOS upggraded version of BASIC and they keep upgrading it ever since. Today we have BASIC version of upgrade called Vista

Everyone must not follow Bill Gates and his style, Youtube was set up by two people that were even working as employees at Paypal.

Can one person develop the entire Youtube site? Yes. Can someone do so under 1 month? Yes.

Can one person develop google search site with the algorithms? Yes.

My point is this, that you cannot do something does not mean that others cannot do it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by DiJuice(m): 3:18pm On Jan 22, 2007
I can not thank you guys at nairaland enough. You guys have opened my eyes to a whole new world i will forever remain greatful. Thank you all for taking the time to help a brother in need. esp sbucareer,afam, xeonwlan. You guys are the bomb!
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Seun(m): 7:31pm On Jan 22, 2007
Yes, they are, and we love them! kiss
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by pojutime(m): 10:23am On Jan 26, 2007
What is the consensus?
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by chydon(m): 1:24pm On Jan 26, 2007
contact talk2chiddy@yahoo.com or 08037444880
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Seun(m): 3:11pm On Jan 26, 2007
Nigerians are good at promising but bad and delivering. My advice: search for a turn-key solution. Cheers!
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Afam(m): 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2007
Consensus ke? I believe he should do what makes the most sense for him bearing in mind that the consequences of any decision he may take wil be borne by him alone.

If he is lucky to get a developer that can do the job, the better for him as he will have greater control and flexibility.

In the absence of a good developer he should look for a ready made solution and still look for someone to help tweak or customize the software.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Kamali(m): 3:18pm On Feb 14, 2007
You can Contact me at kamaloladeinde@gmail.com
I have a running and tested school management and accounting software
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by webzone(m): 7:10pm On Mar 17, 2007
Presently I am developing an complete School Management Software with libarary included.
if you are intrested send me an email @:manwaeze@yahoo.com.
The Application will be ready within a month

From

Michael J2EE
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by LearnBook: 10:02pm On Mar 27, 2007
Try the opensource school tool (http://www.schooltool.org/) Although still in beta, you may be able to modify it to suit your needs.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by abdkabir(m): 11:35pm On Mar 27, 2007
Why not Try BlackBoard. Its being used in Many unversities abroad.I am believing the school management module is 4 a Uni. wink
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by abdkabir(m): 11:58pm On Mar 27, 2007
Hey, the site is non existent! smiley
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by 1ofall(f): 12:47am On Mar 28, 2007
Hi, I am not sure which school management you are looking for-Learning management, student record management or accounting, (if I missed it, sorry) Anyhow, If you are still looking, check out moodle for course management. It's opensource so you can get someone to tweak it for you if it doesn't suit out of the box. It doesn't handle financials though, You also have Atutor-another opensource though not as popular as moodle.
For student record management, the two I know of are banner, peoplesoft-these will handle registeration, and student info but not accounts as far as I know, and as for accounting, sorry, no idea.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by fitvisual(m): 5:15pm On Mar 28, 2007
Please contact info@fatmak.com
Thank you
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Cactus(m): 3:13am On Mar 29, 2007
when someone asks for help wiht software or anything why do u guys give emails and telephone number knowing clearly well you can search on googlel and find the answer u r looking for FOR FREE.
Re: School Management Software! Anybody? by Oops1: 9:52am On Mar 29, 2007
Take a look at:

LiveBlackboard, e-learning software with accounting and e-commerce (optional features)

Site: http://www.liveblackboard.com

Live Demo: http://www.liveblackboard.com/secure.php

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dumps For Iz0-047 Oracle Sql Expert Exam / Hack and Install Games On Your PS4 Console, for as Low as 1K each. / Nursery/Primary/Secondary School Management Software (30% Marketing Commission)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.