Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,024 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? (10610 Views)

Fantasy And Science Fiction Writers' Support Group / Purified Tomorrow: The Mad Awakening (A Science Fiction) By Akinjide Akintayo / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Apollux(m): 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2017
peacettw:

Females hating sci-fi Wherever did you get that impression from? I live for anything sci-fi. movies, books, documentaries...pls count me in. My best birthday gift till date given to me 10 years ago remains a book on Aliens. It is still in my library Do you know that the moon is hollow and that when a meteor hits it, it rings like a bell. it was much closer to earth during the time the pyramids were built ....and so forth. If you want to make me happy, a good sci do movie or novel will do.

Read Abducted by Robin Cook and you will never remain the same. Also watch Ex-Machina
If you really love sci fi, check out my story here MARVEL CHRONICLES, tell me what you think
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Apollux(m): 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
ElmaSpeed:
Sci-fi books? I'm still looking for one to read.
It's my favorite movie genre but I wasn't a science student at school.
If you have any good sci-fi stories, please share your link and I'll happily dive in.
Check out MARVEL CHRONICLES. I don't know how to post link yet on nairaland. I wrote d story, just check my status u will get a link to it. Read it and tell me what u think
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by yungking100(m): 2:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
Probably bcus Naija writers r better at romance nd 18+ books
Nd r nt gud at painting a nice sci-fi picture in dier books.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
Alohamora:

At least you used 'most'. Personally I find books on romance boring and uneducative.

Marry me grin
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 26, 2017
Tinyemeka:

Books are always way better than their movies. Always.
Uhmmm..... Lord of the rings?? Divergent? Game of Thrones lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Alohamora(f): 3:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

Marry me grin

Lol...
shocked
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 26, 2017
Alohamora:

Lol... shocked
I'm serious grin
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by peacettw: 5:31pm On Feb 26, 2017
Apollux:

If you really love sci fi, check out my story here MARVEL CHRONICLES, tell me what you think

Will do just that
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by EazyFrenzy(f): 5:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
there is lots of imagination, and explorations to be done writing science fiction novels, thus hypothesis are presented in a story from. that is, to my perception difficult for a developing country like Nigeria where we are only good at cramming others theory.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Alohamora(f): 6:14pm On Feb 26, 2017
SirWere:

I'm serious grin
Okay. Let's get married cool
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Bahddo(m): 6:54pm On Feb 26, 2017
cao:
According to this thread, I must be a unicorn.
hello unicorn! Why do people say you guys don't exist?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by castro316: 6:58pm On Feb 26, 2017
Science fiction is not part of our culture. Simple
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by cao(f): 7:01pm On Feb 26, 2017
Bahddo:
hello unicorn! Why do people say you guys don't exist?
So we won't get hunted down by poachers.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Feb 26, 2017
castro316:
Science fiction is not part of our culture. Simple
undecided
What a batshit lame excuse undecidedundecided
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Feraz(m): 8:34pm On Feb 26, 2017
Teempakguy:
everyone gets a share of the blame. the readers and the writers.

A great story is one that is character driven. unfortunately, this can hardly be said for most stories on NL, the writers often just go on about how "advanced" and "gadgety" their world is. too much time is spent on describing the world. and it's often in chunks.
guys, if you're writing for a Nigerian audience, your characters and their interactions take precedence over your world. it has to be as relatable as possible.

and the readers on the other hand have problems. the joy of reading SciFi lies in the world itself. How the writer's imagination crafts a future. but Nigerian readers always focus on characters and the drama. and that's why they don't like SciFi.

obviously, a compromise must be reached. unfortunately, it's the authors that need to bend over. the readers are the customers, and as they say, "customer is boss"
Me thinks the issue stems from writing near accurate facts. You wouldn't want to write one without verifying the laws or principles behind it.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by olarid01: 9:16pm On Feb 26, 2017
Who hates sci-fi novels? They are my best novels.
Anybody read codex alera?
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by SuperSuave(m): 2:48pm On Feb 27, 2017
I'm not a literature fan, I dislike sci-fi movies not to mention imagining the pictures in a story
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Royver(m): 11:04pm On Mar 09, 2017
JeffreyJamez:
One Nigerian Sci-fi I enjoyed reading was The Fist 2.0 on the naked Convos. The writer was fantastic. And it was more interesting because everything was based in Nigeria.

So if it's based locally,I would gladly read a Sci-fi story. NL writers I know who can totally pull that off are Royver and Frank316.

I think Royver has done something like that on NL.

Yes I did, but it was wiped off.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by Royver(m): 11:12pm On Mar 09, 2017
Teempakguy:
everyone gets a share of the blame. the readers and the writers.

A great story is one that is character driven. unfortunately, this can hardly be said for most stories on NL, the writers often just go on about how[b] "advanced" and "gadgety"[/b] their world is. too much time is spent on describing the world. and it's often in chunks.
guys, if you're writing for a Nigerian audience, your characters and their interactions take precedence over your world. it has to be as relatable as possible.

and the readers on the other hand have problems. the joy of reading SciFi lies in the world itself. How the writer's imagination crafts a future. but Nigerian readers always focus on characters and the drama. and that's why they don't like SciFi.

obviously, a compromise must be reached. unfortunately, it's the authors that need to bend over. the readers are the customers, and as they say, "customer is boss"

Just a thought. Science fiction doesn't always have to be "advanced" and "gadgety", sometimes the future can be post-apocalyptic.
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:37pm On Mar 09, 2017
Royver:

Yes I did, but it was wiped off.

No wonder, cos I've searched for it endlessly
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by intrepidToju: 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2017
I think one of our problem is just that we can't really relate with most sci fiction books.
Now my friend decided to start up a blog which he called jujufied-blog (www.jujufied-blog.joomla.com) where he would be talking about #AfroScienceFiction #JujuFiction and #AfricaTraditionalReligion. Things that you could relate with. Follow this link;
https://jujufied-blog.joomla.com/2-uncategorised/2-introduction-to-afro-sci-fiction-and-juju-fiction
Re: Why Do People Dislike Reading Science Fiction? by anoda(m): 10:34am On Nov 23, 2023
Outofsync:
Well, I think it's because Nigerians have a pathetically low sense of imagination when it comes to science situations....

Most Nigerians are used to seeing emotional and family bullshit situations so when they're confronted with logic disguised in entertainment, their brain frazzles undecided grin

Such a shame too.

Sci-fi is arguably one of the best and most rewarding sections of literature sad
Diret hit, direct hit, damage control parties two one alpha and charlie six five report to airlock NOVEMBER double time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

knight of valor episodes / Which Novels Can You Read Over And Over Like The First Time? / Life's Symphony: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.