Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,398 members, 7,812,171 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers (9090 Views)

FG To Employ More Graduates In 2018 / Ajaokuta Steel Company To Employ 500,000 Upstream, Downstream In 2017 / Lagos To Employ 1000 LASDRI Graduates As Conductors With N50,000 As Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Donald7610: 7:36am On Feb 28, 2017
Yes o
More Yoruba culture, songs will be recognize grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Tisham20(m): 7:37am On Feb 28, 2017
funny
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by okedoyinolabisi(f): 7:39am On Feb 28, 2017
our language.... our culture...our pride

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by ofwest47(m): 7:40am On Feb 28, 2017
This is your time, all American, Russian and British citizen graduates of Yoruba Language to be employed in Lagos by the state's teaching service commission.
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Sanchez01: 7:42am On Feb 28, 2017
Wiseandtrue:
Who him dey employ before No be only Yoruba people Mtcheeeeew

Later they will be saying that Nigeria is one.
Abegi
Open your eyes and see the true picture, this has got nothing to do with one Nigeria or otherwise. We have so many native speakers who don't understand their Orthographies. The implication is that they might be able to speak but not write. It is affecting my Urhobo till date. I learnt Yoruba in school, took my time in researching and studying its orthographies, as well as rules. All thanks to that, I'm multi-lingual today.

Almost all Nigerian languages are dying. Every state Government must understand that it is their sole responsibility to uphold and protect the tradition and culture of where they govern. It cannot be the English language all the time.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by kolexy(m): 7:43am On Feb 28, 2017
Pavore9:
A good move. I learnt Yoruba in school, spoke Igbo at home and these combination has enriched my worldview.

I envy you. I have tried to learn Igbo language, but it's really hard man

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by yemmybx(m): 7:44am On Feb 28, 2017
awoo47:
yoruba graduate in the house. This is ur tyme to shine cheesy nd stop applying for bank jobs cry leave it to we accountant grin
This statement of yours shows how much you know. Someone who studied Yoruba can work in the Customer Service , at the Counter sections where you communicate with people. For the fact that you studied Yoruba doesn't mean, you can't speak English.

Come to the North and see. Fashola is a lawyer by profession but he's now Minister of Works, Power and Housing abi? You better wake up and stop limiting yourself. Just be computer literate, you're there already.
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 28, 2017
This is a very nice move.

Our language, our culture and traditions must never die.

Our children and their children after them must continue to speak the language. They must continue to practise our customs.

It is our identity as a people. Other Yoruba states should emulate this. Yoruba language should be made compulsory in all public schools in the Southwest.

#ProudlyYoruba.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Goroz: 7:46am On Feb 28, 2017
Wiseandtrue:

Abegi
Should he employ ibos to teach Yoruba?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by BobHIGHNESS(m): 7:47am On Feb 28, 2017
adioolayi:
Our Culture... our heritage... It must die!
Sir,you made a mistake,it must not die
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Nathan2016: 7:47am On Feb 28, 2017
You ought to be ashamed of yourself...South west has six geo political zone...Lagos is just one state....and in lagos , more than half of it is owned by foreigners, so are you going to send them packing in their land,because believe me is theirs.....you children should understand that yoruba is just a tribe like any tribe...There is no document in your house that says I AM YOURUBA OR I AM IGBO......ALL DOCUMENT IN YOUR HOUSE carries Citizenship and State of Origin.......so stop vomiting hate, go and hustle
obembet:
Yoruba is moving forward... We are planning ahead

Moving Lagos to the next level cos all those non Yoruba will soon pack their load and go back to thier various villages

This is vision, though it tarry but at the end , it shall speak.

AM PROUD TO BE A TYPICAL YORUBA MAN

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by doyinbaby(f): 7:48am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:
This ethnic difference is always the major cause if diversity amongst Nigerians. You'll learn the language just by living in Lagos, this is just a means or an excuse to limit our unity as a nation. Why not employ different language teachers or better still foreign language teachers to further broaden the knowledge of our future generations.
HELLO!!! Lagos is Yoruba land so we will promote our language, whoever is not happy about that should do as he pleases

5 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:48am On Feb 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

Open your eyes and see the true picture, this has got nothing to do with one Nigeria or otherwise. We have so many native speakers who don't understand their Orthographies. The implication is that they might be able to speak but not write. It is affecting my Urhobo till date. I learnt Yoruba in school, took my time in researching and studying its orthographies, as well as rules. All thanks to that, I'm multi-lingual today.

Almost all Nigerian languages are dying. Every state Government must understand that it is their sole responsibility to uphold and protect the tradition and culture of where they govern. It cannot be the English language all the time.
Understand me, I am not interested. Before now sey na Igbo or Hausa him dey employ

If Ambode see other natives that can teach Yoruba so well, will he employ them

So enough of these hype in the social media.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by koladebrainiac(m): 7:49am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:
This ethnic difference is always the major cause if diversity amongst Nigerians. You'll learn the language just by living in Lagos, this is just a means or an excuse to limit our unity as a nation. Why not employ different language teachers or better still foreign language teachers to further broaden the knowledge of our future generations.
and you think your opinion is so sound with this hubish u put up here?

smh.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by adioolayi(m): 7:50am On Feb 28, 2017
BobHIGHNESS:
Sir,you made a mistake,it must not die
Corrected... thank you
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Nobody: 7:51am On Feb 28, 2017
Wiseandtrue:

Abegi

Did you even read the post before commenting?
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Nobody: 7:52am On Feb 28, 2017
Wiseandtrue:

Abegi
go and employ igbo speaker in anambera now.. anyone stopping you?

lagos na your papa land?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by ephi123(f): 7:53am On Feb 28, 2017
Good move. Our indigenous languages need to flourish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by BayLord01(m): 7:54am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:
How many Yoruba teacher do u have in SE and SS?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Bamilajunior(m): 7:57am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:

ur comment is dumb. u can't learn a language by just speaking it, its a lot deeper than that. thats why we have people who can speak english fluently but can't write an essay.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Sanchez01: 7:59am On Feb 28, 2017
Wiseandtrue:

Understand me, I am not interested. Before now dey n.a. Igbo or Hausa him dey employ

If Ambode see other natives that can teach Yoruba so well, will he employ them

So enough of these hype in the social media.
I get your point. One of my teachers way back then in secondary was an Igbo woman married to a Yoruba man. Mrs Anifowose's understanding of the Yoruba language is impeccable. She was my motivation for taking the Yoruba language at the time.

Fast forward to the present day, it is not just about 'teaching' or understanding Yoruba as a non-native speaker. If you don't have at least an NCE or B.Ed, you won't be considered surely. The educational sector has taken quite a beating in the past and this is why you see a failed lawyer taking up a teaching job to becoming a government teacher.

Then again, you must understand that the instruction, according to the National curriculum says that every Nigerian student must be able to fluently speak and write at least a Nigerian language. The Hausas have been doing this perfectly and effortlessly, the same applies to some parts of the SW such as Osun and Oyo state.

Truth is, we don't expect another Nigerian language to be given due attention like the Yoruba language because Lagos, though often called a no man's land, belongs to the Yorubas. The same applies to Enugu. You don't expect another Nigerian language to flourish more than the Igbo language, else a possible case of extinction might occur.

Bottom line: So long you towed the teaching line as a Yoruba graduate, where you are from doesn't really matter. Most Yoruba folks around today can't even speak and write the Yoruba language as I do, let alone understand its orthography called 'akotan'.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by ayindejimmy(m): 8:03am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:

I know people that have spend a decade in Lagos but can't speak Yoruba
In every region of the country, it's compulsory for schools to teach the indigenous language
I learned Hausa while I lived in the north

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 8:06am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:

LOL wailers easy to know, So they should employ Igbo to come and teach Yoruba? I wonder how you reason..

3 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Pavore9: 8:07am On Feb 28, 2017
kolexy:

I envy you. I have tried to learn Igbo language, but it's really hard man

Though we were all born and raised in Lagos, my family have been in Lagos since 1959 but my parents insisted no Yoruba or pidgin at home! We easily picked the Owerri and Mbaise dialects from our neighbours because we were grounded in the basics.

That is why I can not understand Igbo parents raising children outside the South East are finding it difficult transmitting the Igbo identity to their kids.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by femolii: 8:10am On Feb 28, 2017
If u dont like it go back to your state. lagos is yorubas land we need only our yorubas lanquage n english not Osu lanquage that only speak in d south east.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:14am On Feb 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

I get your point. One of my teachers way back then in secondary was an Igbo woman married to a Yoruba man. Mrs Anifowose's understanding of the Yoruba language is impeccable. She was my motivation for taking the Yoruba language at the time.

Fast forward to the present day, it is not just about 'teaching' or understanding Yoruba as a non-native speaker. If you don't have at least an NCE or B.Ed, you won't be considered surely. The educational sector has taken quite a beating in the past and this is why you see a failed lawyer taking up a teaching job to becoming a government teacher.

Then again, you must understand that the instruction, according to the National curriculum says that every Nigerian student must be able to fluently speak and write at least a Nigerian language. The Hausas have been doing this perfectly and effortlessly, the same applies to some parts of the SW such as Osun and Oyo state.

Truth is, we don't expect another Nigerian language to be given due attention like the Yoruba language because Lagos, though often called a no man's land, belongs to the Yorubas. The same applies to Enugu. You don't expect another Nigerian language to flourish more than the Igbo language, else a possible case of extinction might occur.

Bottom line: So long you towed the teaching line as a Yoruba graduate, where you are from doesn't really matter. Most Yoruba folks around today can't even speak and write the Yoruba language as I do, let alone understand its orthography called 'akotan'.

I
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by samsam2019: 8:16am On Feb 28, 2017
Vickiweezy:
Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:17am On Feb 28, 2017
Sanchez01:

I want to believe that you are speaking for yourself, from a genuine heart but I am not talking about you. I am talking about Ambode who despite his good electoral promises is selective in his employment. He only favours the Yorubas.

The government of those day preach peace and unity. You get to any government settings, you feel you are a Nigerian and every students related so well with the teachers. They don't feel out of place. In the school, you will find Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba both amongst the pupils and the teachers but now what do we have

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:19am On Feb 28, 2017
MetaHuman:
go and employ igbo speaker in anambera now.. anyone stopping you?

lagos na your papa land?
I am not going to waste my MB on you. I have moved on.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by codemaniacs: 8:20am On Feb 28, 2017
k

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:20am On Feb 28, 2017
Ioannes:

Did you even read the post before commenting?
Do you understand what you are quoting

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State To Employ More Yoruba Teachers by Sanchez01: 8:22am On Feb 28, 2017
Wiseandtrue:
[/b]
I want to believe that you are speaking for yourself, from a genuine heart but I am not talking about you. I am talking about Ambode who despite his good electoral promises is selective in his employment. He only favours the Yorubas.

The government of those day preach peace and unity. You get to any government settings, you feel you are a Nigerian and every students related so well with the teachers. They don't feel out of place. In the school, you will find Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba both amongst the pupils and the teachers but now what do we have

Separatists, tribalists who use derogatory remarks just to slight and hurt one another. Don't blame the state government for this. Blame the people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Stock Exchange Latest Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / Mainone Cable Nigeria Job Recruitment (6 Positions) / How Do I Know I Have Been Shortlisted For N-power Batch C Stream 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.