Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila (13516 Views)

Femi Gbajabiamila’s Daughter Shares Intimate Picture With Her Boyfriend / $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila / Why Dogara Did Not Brief The House Of Reps On Buhari’s Health – House Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by DONSMITH123(m): 12:50pm On Feb 28, 2017
Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) caucus in the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has said that irrespective of the nomenclature given to the act of budget-padding, the National Assembly will continue to pad the budget for certain reasons.

Gbajabiamila, who initially claimed not to understand what budget-padding means, explained that lawmakers, even in the most advanced democracies of the world, pad the budget to be able to generate extra money for providing democracy dividends to their respective constituencies especially when their constituencies are not captured in the national budget.

The lawmaker disclosed this during an interview on Channels TV that was anchored by Seun Okinbaloye and monitored by DAILY POST.

He said that it was legislative malpractice for a lawmaker to sit back and do nothing when a national budget that does not make provisions for his constituency is been appropriated.

The Majority Leader said that in some advanced countries, budget- padding is not only practiced but called ‘earmarking’ or ‘pump-up legislation.’

He said that since the National Assembly holds the power to the national treasury, it will continue to scrutinize the level of budget-padding from the executive, stressing that it’s not a rubber stamp.

Gbajabiamila said that since suspended Rep. Abdulmumuni Jibrin decided to take the issue of legislative budget padding to the law enforcement agencies, it was proper for the House to sit back and let them do whatever they want to do, adding that there was no regret over suspension of Jibrin, if indeed he was a true whistle-blower like he claimed to be.

He said: “Abdulmumuni Jibrin did what he needed to do. He took the matter to the law enforcement agencies – the EFCC, the police and the rest of them. He has done his. The National Assembly does not agree with it. He put the ball in the court of the law enforcement agents. It is up to them to do whatever they want to do. I’m not aware of any padding. I don’t understand what that means.

“When it comes to money and I represent a particular constituency but I look at the budget and I don’t see my constituency represented in that budget and I know that throughout the year people of my constituency have needs – they want this; they want that. It is only me they can talk to. They are not going to talk to the President.

“I actually consider it as malpractice not padding, if during the budget circle I have opportunity to attract something to my constituency and I sit back and do nothing and go back in four years to seek for their mandate again when I promised them all these years that I will do this and do that. What do I go back and tell them? ‘Oh, I am not allowed to pad the budget.’

“If for instance, I represent a constituency and a budget is sent to National Assembly. It is one of the most important pieces of legislation to come out of the National Assembly. By my representation, I should attract federal presence to my constituency.

“Even in the most advanced of democracies, you have heard of earmarks, you have heard of pumped-up legislation. It is the same thing. It is done everywhere in the world otherwise you are not worth the sit you seat on.

“Let me explain something to you about padding. That’s what Nigerians need to understand. It doesn’t mean that if you hear anything thing negative about the National Assembly and you are not objective. You will not understand what is going on.

“In terms of padding from the executive, there are checks and balances. That’s why we have always argued that the National Assembly is not a rubber stamp. It is trite that the legislature holds the power of the purse. We will go through this budget and look at it item for item; item by item. Whatever padding means, I don’t know.”

http://dailypost.ng/2017/02/28/call-like-budget-padding-will-continue-house-leader-gbajabiamila/

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 12:53pm On Feb 28, 2017
only GOD can save this country undecided

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:53pm On Feb 28, 2017
And he's among our self-acclaimed saints??

APC I raise one nyash for una

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Udodasco1(m): 12:54pm On Feb 28, 2017
Very true when we have your likes up there

1 Like

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Defaramade(m): 12:55pm On Feb 28, 2017
Very shameless thief. Continue yarning dust mtcheew

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by ican2020: 1:51pm On Feb 28, 2017
You got my 100% support

1 Like

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Daslim180(m): 1:58pm On Feb 28, 2017
Look at what's coming out you mouth, Mr old fool...... Useless leader spotted.

9 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Kingxway: 1:59pm On Feb 28, 2017
grin

3 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 28, 2017
Revelations...without chapters
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by obailala(m): 1:59pm On Feb 28, 2017
"Earmarking or pump-up legislation" angry

Wouldnt have been much of an issue if the senators and reps actually used the pumped-up funds for their constituencies.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by kings09(m): 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
And his among our self-acclaimed saints??

APC I raise one nyash for una
saint Sarrki come oo

2 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Kingspin(m): 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
The Nigeria misery continue. I have always believed that the desire change yarn by well meaning Nigerians will not come from our politicians but from the people. The earlier we draw this line the better for us all.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by babyfaceafrica: 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
Unfortunately.. Politheifians will always steal
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Monalisa185(f): 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Donjcco(m): 2:01pm On Feb 28, 2017
X
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Godprotectigbo5(f): 2:02pm On Feb 28, 2017
ofonja and fraud

2 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by me69: 2:03pm On Feb 28, 2017
We need to start ruling this country as a people. Stop giving the power to some career politicians without morals to decide what future we should take as a people, but we can start ruling through referendum on issues that affect the progress of this country. Representative democracy has failed us.

3 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by kennymotors(m): 2:03pm On Feb 28, 2017
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by HazzanTazzan(m): 2:04pm On Feb 28, 2017
Thief
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by AceRoyal: 2:07pm On Feb 28, 2017
Under GEJ/PDP Nigeria was "COMPLETELY FINISHED" but under PMB/APC Nigeria is "FINISHED COMPLETELY".

These guys don't have the interest of the common man at heart,only their selfish interest and financial aggrandisement!tongue

With this kind of statement,Corruption in Nigeria will NEVER SEIZE. How can any sane leader make such statement?To think this is even Tinubu's anointed.

I weep for my country bitterly.

I love my country but I'm ashamed of our leaders!

Sarrki(Oba of Zombies) I await your comment.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Goke7: 2:07pm On Feb 28, 2017
By the time this guy will desire to run for presidency in the future, he will have a lot explain the meaning of budget padding. sometimes our politicians don't think before they speak.

Folks are still trying to come to GEJ's aid in defending what he meant by stealing is not corruption.

And to think that this politician almost lost the last election to retain his seat in the HOR.
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by GenbIoodykiller: 2:08pm On Feb 28, 2017
and bastards will gloat and foam when igbos says they want biafra.
is this the same country they want me to share with this vagabonds?

5 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by GenbIoodykiller: 2:10pm On Feb 28, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
only GOD can save this country undecided
Nope God can never save this country if we keep repeating the same method and expect different results

the only salvation left for Nigeria is restructuring if not
there's nothing that can be done here

3 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by ican2020: 2:11pm On Feb 28, 2017
You are right my dear and you have my support to read every line b4 taken action
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by jeeqaa7(m): 2:11pm On Feb 28, 2017
Naija is dead
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Dee60: 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2017
jeeqaa7:
Naija is dead

But Nigeria is still alive.

Re-structuring must happen in the next 2 years, if we dont want to court trouble.

We do not need 36 states, maximum 6 will do. Call is state, province or region. It does not matter. Each state should have not more than 15/20 LGAs or counties. Federal House of Reps should not have more than 120 members. Scrap the Senate. One house is enough.

Make participation in the house voluntary so that the people there do no earn salaries.

I am sure if we go along these lines people like Gbaja will not open their mounths so wide to insult our sensibilities.

6 Likes

Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by melejo(m): 2:15pm On Feb 28, 2017
kings09:
saint Sarrki come oo
parrot sarrki
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by AceRoyal: 2:16pm On Feb 28, 2017
Dee60:

But Nigeria is still alive.
More like walking corpse!
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Blurryface(m): 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2017
Re: Call It What You Like, Budget-padding Will Continue – House Leader, Gbajabiamila by Desdola(m): 2:18pm On Feb 28, 2017
Of course we know. its only in Nigeria that stealing is not corruption

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra: BRGIE Begins Self-referendum Voting For All Igbos / 5 Reasons Why You Don't Need To Die For Any Politician / Oil Communities’ Campaign To control 13% Derivation Irrational— Gov Okowa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.