Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic (27344 Views)

Mum Of One Commits Suicide After Crying For Help On Facebook / The Woman Carrying Oxygen To Survive And The Crying Little Boy In New Photos / Pepsi To Cut Down Sugar From Its Drinks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Nobody: 3:43pm On Feb 28, 2017
just throw the whole onion bulb inside the pot jooh
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Emekuz(m): 3:52pm On Feb 28, 2017
VastFinder:

Many people have been wondering what really causes one to cry while slicing onions. Well, according to Sun UK, the reason is very simpl.

As we chop up an onion, it releases enzymes that act as catalysts for us weeping over your kitchen counter.

When these molecules are released they form a type of acid which then reacts with the air – the resulting gas hits your eye, reacting with the water there to create sulphuric acid, which burns.

This leads to more tears as your eyes tries to get rid of the stinging.

How can you chop and onion without crying?There are a few tips and tricks you can employ to prevent sobbing your eyes out every time you need to cook up an onion-filled dish.

1. Light a candle
The idea is that the flame will get rid of some of the fumes which cause the gas.

Without them, you shouldn’t have as much of a problem.

2. Freeze it first
You need to pop the onion in the freezer about 15 minutes before you want to chop it.

The cold is supposed to stop it releasing the molecules which cause all the problems.

Slicing an onion in water works too, again because it stops the vapour hitting your eyes.

3. Soak it
Popping an onion in water once it’s peeled but not cut also helps.

It apparently draws out the compounds, meaning there aren’t as many to react with your eyes.

4. Use a spoon
Pop a spoon in your mouth while you cut your onion and you won’t cry.

It works because the chemicals bind to the metal of the spoon before they can get to your eyes, so you don’t cry.

5. Get chewing
Some people suggest putting a bit of bread in your mouth, with part of it hanging out.

This is supposed to catch some of the chemicals before they reach your eyes.

Chewing gum also helps as it makes you breathe through your mouth, which disperses the irritants more. That means less get to your eyes, so you won’t cry.

What chemical in onions makes your eyes burn?
The exact chemical that makes our eyes burn so much when we chop up onions is syn-propanethial-S-oxide.

This volatile sulphur compound wafts towards your eyes where it then forms sulphuric acid.

The sulphuric acid then causes that dreaded burning sensation and resulting tears.

Source: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/revealed-5-easy-ways-to-cut-onions.html

lalasticlala, Mynd44, Dominique, Seun
Nice one @OP. kudos to you... I think just as u hav said.. Everything is based on chemical reactions...the lighting of candle is based on the reaction of sulphur containing molecule reacting with carbondioxide produced by the candle... Also it is the sulphur molecule reacting with molecule of water in the eyes that forms H2SO4.. However, it has to do with the reacting properties of sulphur with... Carbondioxide, Hydrogen, metals. Thanks for the info. Thumbs up man
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Annalise(f): 3:56pm On Feb 28, 2017
I have no idea how these grammatical errors make it to front page. Seriously.
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by professore(m): 4:10pm On Feb 28, 2017
This is nice
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by bellenornor(f): 4:12pm On Feb 28, 2017
All these processes?? Even when I wanna make lil noodles... O di egwu
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 28, 2017
taurus21:
You could also use an eye protector like this, comes in handy I tell you.
Exactly what I use. Comes with once being a Biochemistry student.
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Obiwannn: 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2017
VastFinder:

Many people have been wondering what really causes one to cry while slicing onions. Well, according to Sun UK, the reason is very simpl.

As we chop up an onion, it releases enzymes that act as catalysts for us weeping over your kitchen counter.

When these molecules are released they form a type of acid which then reacts with the air – the resulting gas hits your eye, reacting with the water there to create sulphuric acid, which burns.

This leads to more tears as your eyes tries to get rid of the stinging.

How can you chop and onion without crying?There are a few tips and tricks you can employ to prevent sobbing your eyes out every time you need to cook up an onion-filled dish.

1. Light a candle
The idea is that the flame will get rid of some of the fumes which cause the gas.

Without them, you shouldn’t have as much of a problem.

2. Freeze it first
You need to pop the onion in the freezer about 15 minutes before you want to chop it.

The cold is supposed to stop it releasing the molecules which cause all the problems.

Slicing an onion in water works too, again because it stops the vapour hitting your eyes.

3. Soak it
Popping an onion in water once it’s peeled but not cut also helps.

It apparently draws out the compounds, meaning there aren’t as many to react with your eyes.

4. Use a spoon must be very weak sulfuric acid
Pop a spoon in your mouth while you cut your onion and you won’t cry.

It works because the chemicals bind to the metal of the spoon before they can get to your eyes, so you don’t cry.

5. Get chewing
Some people suggest putting a bit of bread in your mouth, with part of it hanging out.

This is supposed to catch some of the chemicals before they reach your eyes.

Chewing gum also helps as it makes you breathe through your mouth, which disperses the irritants more. That means less get to your eyes, so you won’t cry.

What chemical in onions makes your eyes burn?
The exact chemical that makes our eyes burn so much when we chop up onions is syn-propanethial-S-oxide.

This volatile sulphur compound wafts towards your eyes where it then forms sulphuric acid.

The sulphuric acid then causes that dreaded burning sensation and resulting tears.

Source: https://vastfinder..com/2017/02/revealed-5-easy-ways-to-cut-onions.html

lalasticlala, Mynd44, Dominique, Seun
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Nobody: 5:26pm On Feb 28, 2017
How I chop my Onions...

Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by praises16: 6:08pm On Feb 28, 2017
I realised one day that onion releases some chemicals which truly irritate the eyes.
I also realised that these chemicals don't enter through the eyes but the nose.
so, I decided to always cover my nose whenever I'm cutting onions and till date, I feel no strain.

please like and comment if it also worked for you.
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by UniqueGUY1: 6:27pm On Feb 28, 2017
An amateur in cooking cries while cutting onions..
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Alexk2(m): 6:47pm On Feb 28, 2017
embarassed embarassed all these on poor onion? ...no be onion cause recession now undecided
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by square12345: 9:16pm On Feb 28, 2017
Remember onions is good for the eyes, and it's also fight again cancer. So the fumes when cutting onions is good to the human health. Cutting onions without fumes is not hygienic. Someone need to cry when cutting onions because its help and fight against cancer, bacteria and for good sight.
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Emekuz(m): 10:23pm On Feb 28, 2017
square12345:
Remember onions is good for the eyes, and it's also fight again cancer. So the fumes when cutting onions is good to the human health. Cutting onions without fumes is not hygienic. Someone need to cry when cutting onions because its help and fight against cancer, bacteria and for good sight.
yes you are right bro..it helps fight those cancerous cells just like the garlic since they both contain sulphur. But i dont think it is the fume produced by the onion itself that help kill bacteria. It is as a result of the fume getting in contact with the eyes there by causing the lacrimal(tear)to produce the enzyme LYSOZYME which lyses (kill) the cell wall of the bacteria
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by Guadiol104(m): 12:05am On Mar 01, 2017
What of dis

Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by thexzy(m): 2:14am On Mar 01, 2017
The law of Chemistry always holds when cutting onions. There'§ no way to dodge from this. You simply need those gaseous molecules of onion in those eyes of yours as that'§ the only natural eye-cleanser
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by krozay(m): 7:41am On Mar 01, 2017
Wear glasses while cutting
Re: Revealed: 5 Easy Ways To Cut An Onions Without Crying…it Works Like Magic by biridon(m): 5:14pm On Mar 05, 2017
onion wey no make U cry, that one na onions??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Outrage As Frontline Health Staff Sent On Duty Without PPE / Where Can I Get Free HIV Treatment In Rivers State? / 438 New COVID-19 Cases, 389 Discharged And 11 Deaths On July 25 - (3063 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.