Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,911 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Do You Believe In Angels? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In Angels? (9750 Views)

God And His Angels. / Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In Angels? by mantraa: 12:42pm On Dec 13, 2009
According to the bible and the koran, angels are a very important part of the story of god's interaction with humans. 

Out of curiosity i did a little research and found this list of angels heirarchy in heaven.

* First Sphere (Old Testament sources)
          o Seraphim
          o Cherubim
          o Thrones (Gr. thronos) (New Testament sources)

* Second Sphere (New Testament sources)
          o Dominions (Gr. Kyriotetes)
          o Virtues (Gr. Dynamais)
          o Powers (Gr. Exusiai)

* Third Sphere
          o Principalities (Gr. Archai)
          o Archangels - Archangeloi
          o Angels - Angeloi

Angels of the first sphere work as heavenly guardians of God's throne.

Angels of the Second Sphere work as heavenly governors.

Angels of the third sphere function as heavenly messengers and soldiers.

Francesco_Botticini_-_The_Assumption_of_the_Virgin

According to the story the devil was an angel that was sent to earth by god before he created adam and eve. Is this correct?

What puzzles me is when exactly these angels were created in the six days of creation?

If you are a christian or muslim do you believe in the existance of all of these supernatural beings? And what is the difference between the belief in angels and the belief in polytheism?
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Kay17: 1:54pm On Dec 13, 2009
inequality on earth, inequality in heaven!
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Godmother(f): 6:12pm On Dec 13, 2009
Kay 17:

inequality on earth, inequality in heaven!

Lol
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by DeepSight(m): 6:27pm On Dec 13, 2009
m-nwankwo can do justice to this.

But in brief: note that a divergence from the will of God is only possible at great distances from his core. That's why humans have freewill and angels do not.

And that's why Lucifer could have developed a contrary will: as your story states, he had been sent to the earth: very far from God's core.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Kay17: 7:35pm On Dec 13, 2009
distance defies the Almighty!
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Horus(m): 7:38pm On Dec 13, 2009
Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares (by surprise). – Hebrews 13:2

It literally says you may entertain an angel and not know it which implies that an angel can sit in front of you and you won’t even know. If angels are beings with wings and halos over their heads like religions portray them to be, then you should recognize an angel immediately. But, if an angel is a being that comes in the form of a human, then it is possible that you may not know that I am sitting with an angel. Again, these are all things within your scriptures that they try to hide and mistranslate so that you will not know what it really says.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by mantraa: 8:06pm On Dec 13, 2009
@horus
In your opinion, is Malachi York an angel?
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Horus(m): 8:21pm On Dec 13, 2009
mantraa:

@horus
In your opinion, is Malachi York an angel?

I dont know.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 13, 2009
Deep Sight:

m-nwankwo can do justice to this.

But in brief: note that a divergence from the will of God is only possible at great distances from his core. That's why humans have freewill and angels do not.

And that's why Lucifer could have developed a contrary will: as your story states, he had been sent to the earth: very far from God's core.

The earth had not been created when Lucifer fell.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by mantraa: 9:36am On Dec 14, 2009
so where did lucifer fall to, and when did god create lucifer?

The whole story just doesn't make any sense.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 14, 2009
what kind of name is that? mantraa?

that alone tells me you are not of the bible

is mantraa a christian word?

behai faith, Eckankar of grail movement tell me you're not one of this?

and where in the bible have you seen a rundown of hierarchy of angels you claim(except for cherubim & seraphim), when i know its all occultic names you've listed!!

secondly, why are you forcing unseen errors in a book that was made for man - what a silly question?

if you want a book where you will find the creation of angel ask satan of what importance would that be, the bible is a all about man not angels

and he said lets create man in our own image, common sense should tell you, they have long existed, so what is the need for them to tell man they created how and when they were created when the important thing is to tell man all about man - which they did!!!

grow up
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by dwonder(m): 11:55am On Dec 14, 2009
According to the Bible, angels are spirits, just as God himself is a Spirit. (Psalm 104:4; John 4:24)

The angelic family is large, numbering into the millions. (Revelation 5:11)

And all of them are “mighty in power.” (Psalm 103:20)

Though angels are like humans in that they have personality and are given free will, they did not begin their lives as humans.

In fact, God created angels long before mankind’s appearance—even before the creation of planet Earth. When God “founded the earth,” says the Bible, “the morning stars [angels] joyfully cried out together, and all the sons of God began shouting in applause.” (Job 38:4, 7)

Since the angels are God’s creation, they are called the sons of God.

The angel foremost in power and authority—the chief angel—is named Michael the archangel. (Jude 9)
He is none other than Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 4:16) Countless ages ago when Jehovah purposed to be a Creator, the very first of his creations was this angelic Son. (Revelation 3:14) Later, through this firstborn Son, Jehovah created all other spirit creatures. (Colossians 1:15-17)

Referring to these angelic creatures as his sons, Jehovah asked the patriarch Job: “Where did you happen to be when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you do know understanding. . . . Who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars joyfully cried out together, and all the sons of God began shouting in applause?” (Job 38:4, 6, 7) Clearly, the angels are God’s creation, and they came into existence long before humans.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by dwonder(m): 11:56am On Dec 14, 2009
The Scriptures indicate that the creature known as Satan did not always have that name. Rather, this descriptive name was given to him because of his taking a course of opposition and resistance to God. The name he had before this is not given. God is the only Creator, and ‘his activity is perfect,’ with no injustice or unrighteousness. (De 32:4) Therefore, the one becoming Satan was, when created, a perfect, righteous creature of God. He is a spirit person, for he appeared in heaven in the presence of God. (Job chaps 1, 2; Re 12:9)
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Kay17: 11:59am On Dec 14, 2009
so the archangel michael is part of the trinity?
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by dwonder(m): 12:04pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kay 17:

so the archangel michael is part of the trinity?

I'll say Nope. I don't want to derail the thread so I won't explain further.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by dwonder(m): 12:11pm On Dec 14, 2009
mantraa:

According to the bible and the koran, angels are a very important part of the story of god's interaction with humans. 

Out of curiosity i did a little research and found this list of angels heirarchy in heaven.

o Seraphim
          o Cherubim

o Virtues (Gr. Dynamais)
          o Powers (Gr. Exusiai)

* Third Sphere
          o Angels - Angeloi

According to the story the devil was an angel that was sent to earth by god before he created adam and eve. Is this correct?

What puzzles me is when exactly these angels were created in the six days of creation?

If you are a christian or muslim do you believe in the existance of all of these supernatural beings? And what is the difference between the belief in angels and the belief in polytheism?

The devil was not sent to the earth before Adam and Eve were created.

The Bible does not state specifically how long it took God to create the Angels but tells us that they have existed for long before humans were created. Therefore the creation of the Angels was not part of the Six days of creation.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2009
the archangel Michael is a 7ft tall, 300 pounds, blue eyed angel, his identity is found some renowned Christian literatures
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 14, 2009
mantraa:

o Seraphim
          o Cherubim

o Virtues (Gr. Dynamais)
          o Powers (Gr. Exusiai)

* Third Sphere
          o Angels - Angeloi

what kind of name is that? mantraa?

that alone tells me you are not of the bible

is mantraa a christian word?

behai faith, Eckankar of grail movement tell me you're not one of this?

and where in the bible have you seen a rundown of hierarchy of angels you claim(except for cherubim & seraphim), when i know its all occultic names you've listed!!

secondly, why are you forcing unseen errors in a book that was made for man - what a silly question?

if you want a book where you will find the creation of angel ask satan of what importance would that be, the bible is a all about man not angels

and he said lets create man in our own image, common sense should tell you, they have long existed, so what is the need for them to tell man they created how and when they were created when the important thing is to tell man all about man - which they did!!!

grow up
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Kay17: 12:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
but the snake was not the devil. some angels descended to earth when struck by the beauty of women.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by etaurus(m): 12:28pm On Dec 14, 2009
Angels do exist
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Spyker: 12:30pm On Dec 14, 2009
There are angels amongst us and in us, but it depends on how you look at it. Somebody pulls you out of a burning car can be your guardian angel at that moment, unknowing he has performed the duty of an angel which is guiding humans in decision making. There is however one great angel which we sometimes underrate, he is our conscience. Personally, if i see a man or woman who has wings, I will wake up from that dream because I know that angels in our days can only appear like us and they use humans in their work or appear in the form of a human being.
Kay 17:

but the snake was not the devil. some angels descended to earth when struck by the beauty of women.
The snake was possessed by the devil which proves that angels and devil can only be in this act by possessing human. Look at the world today, is it not humans that develop nuclear weapons and use it, persons like adolf hitler, Osama Bin laden, Sani Abacha. They are humans yet people describe them as the devil because of their actions.

NOTE: God must not do for man what man must do for himself. You and I can be an Angel or a Devil if we so wish because it is our decision that counts in all.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Kay17: 12:43pm On Dec 14, 2009
@ spike lee, WRONG! WRONG! the snake was said to be the the craftiest of all animals, thus a natural attribute given to it by God. after deceiving Adam and Eve, he was punished. so no demo possessed it.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 14, 2009
As a Muslim, I do and, in fact, must, to be a Muslim in the first place.

The Islamic conception of angels however differs from most of the descriptions up there.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by MrCrackles(m): 12:52pm On Dec 14, 2009
Yes i do. . . . . .

Jarus:

The Islamic conception of angels however differs from most of the descriptions up there.
Spot on. . .
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Spyker: 12:57pm On Dec 14, 2009
Kay 17:

@ spike lee, WRONG! WRONG! the snake was said to be the the craftiest of all animals, thus a natural attribute given to it by God. after deceiving Adam and Eve, he was punished. so no demo possessed it.

Well, don't you think the bible is full of parables and symbols. Do you think the animals adam named by himself can be wiser if not possessed by the demon. Being crafty in nature does not mean wise. The snake was punished, same was Adam and eve. That is God's way of punishing us for misusing our freewill. Adam blamed eve, Eve blamed the snake or serpent, so who will the snake blame?
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Tudor6(f): 1:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
Deep Sight: ] note that a divergence from the will of God is only possible at great distances from his core. That's why humans have freewill and angels do not.
The way you confidently spew crap on this forum is shocking.

How the hell do you come to this knowledge?

I thought god was ominipresent i.e EVERYWHERE so what is this BS about being far from the core.

Besides, lucifer was said to have revolted in heaven and in revelation there was said to be war in heaven if this rubbish core you're blabbing about was true, how would there be war in heaven? If the devil were to come into heaven he'll automatically be good and has no free will near the cose because "divergence from the will of God is only possible at great distances from the core".

You're just a phony. Cherry picking bits from each religion that suits your delusions
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by Redman44(m): 1:21pm On Dec 14, 2009
Angels exist and they often carry out their assignments on earth in human form. However, if you're a prayerful person or someone favoured by God, you will recognise angels when you come across them. To be sincere, I have encountered angels in different circumstances in the past. Cheers.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by DeepSight(m): 2:00pm On Dec 14, 2009
Tudór:

The way you confidently spew crap on this forum is shocking.

How the hell do you come to this knowledge?

I thought god was ominipresent i.e EVERYWHERE so what is this BS about being far from the core.

Besides, lucifer was said to have revolted in heaven and in revelation there was said to be war in heaven if this rubbish core you're blabbing about was true, how would there be war in heaven? If the devil were to come into heaven he'll automatically be good and has no free will near the cose because "divergence from the will of God is only possible at great distances from the core".

You're just a phony. Cherry picking bits from each religion that suits your delusions

Haba, softly softly now. . . na jus idea i dey play with. . . no need for the yabbis o
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by DeepSight(m): 2:13pm On Dec 14, 2009
Now Tudor reflect on this, before you continue your thoughtless rants -

1. If something is said to be the summit of all thoughts such as God is, what effect do you think proximity to that summit will have on the mind of any conscious being that approaches it? Just cos you claim to be an athiest is no reason your brain should not be able to grasp basic logic on non-material matters.

2. What is your apprehension of the word "omnipresent?"

- In a "Christian" perspective and

- In an abstract and philosophical perspective?

In the christian perspective, you know very well that God is said to reside in heaven. That alone should attune your presumptuous mind to the fact that omnipresence does not mean being everywhere. It may be said that the power of God permeates all places in that God is the source of all existence and life. That does not mean that God lives in Ajegunle. Stop making puerile arguments. You know i reserve my time for more advanced stuff than this load of. . .

Also in the abstract perspective an uncaused cause is not said to reside in Ajegulne. It is understood as a trancendental element initiated in a realm of existence inaccesible to gross matter. So again, omnipresence does not have the simplistic and pedestrain connotation that you so lazily table forth.

I am not interested in stories about war in heaven or whatever. You were so hasty to reach judgment that you could not see i was only offering a possible logical explanation of a myth. Go read my post again and note my use of the words "could have" and "your story". Stop to think and read before you write!

Note finally, that many myths do not spring out of nothingness.

Nuff said.
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by hackney(m): 2:25pm On Dec 14, 2009
@poster
With all due respect, can you pls type God starting with capital letter 'G'.
Thank you.

As for the question:Yes i believe in angels
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by udennaa: 3:07pm On Dec 14, 2009
ofcourse.if u believe in God u will believe in his word that talks about angels,but if u dont believe in God then u are a fool according to psalm 14:1
Re: Do You Believe In Angels? by VALIDATOR: 3:09pm On Dec 14, 2009
hackney:

@poster
With all due respect, can you pls type God starting with capital letter 'G'.
Thank you.

As for the question:Yes i believe in angels

I guess organized religion has disappointed him so much and he is vesting his anger on god God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Secret Exposed! Why Do Christ Embassy Pastors Perm Their Hair,like Pastor Chris! / Should Men Of God Divorce And Remarry? / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.