Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. (494257 Views)

Canada Port of entry interview /experience / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Lewist(m): 5:50am On Sep 21, 2017
don't you think with 71miles away is too far? I advice you save up some money and make your booking at Newyork.the question will be too heavy for you to answer at d Poe.why did you book hotel in jersy

quote author=echo2 post=60660084]Hello guys I will be traveling soon on a b1/b2 and it is stated on my ds160 that am going for
Academic tour in New York City....I checked bookings.com to book hotel but hotel in New York are too expensive so I saw cheaper ones at New Jersey(bookings.com
Suggested it)....I want to know if I won't have any ish at POE[/quote]

3 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Bigabbey22: 7:42am On Sep 21, 2017
Bros, better book hotel in new York to avoid huge challenges.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by echo2(m): 8:04am On Sep 21, 2017
Lewist:
don't you think with 71miles away is too far? I advice you save up some money and make your booking at Newyork.the question will be too heavy for you to answer at d Poe.why did you book hotel in jersy

quote author=echo2 post=60660084]Hello guys I will be traveling soon on a b1/b2 and it is stated on my ds160 that am going for
Academic tour in New York City....I checked bookings.com to book hotel but hotel in New York are too expensive so I saw cheaper ones at New Jersey(bookings.com
Suggested it)....I want to know if I won't have any ish at POE

Oh ok, thank
U so much. Will look for a cheaper one in New York
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by echo2(m): 8:04am On Sep 21, 2017
Bigabbey22:
Bros, better book hotel in new York to avoid huge challenges.

Thank you
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by asid(m): 9:00am On Sep 21, 2017
echo2:

Oh ok, thank

Or try using Airbnb

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:08pm On Sep 21, 2017
echo2:
Hello guys I will be traveling soon on a b1/b2 and it is stated on my ds160 that am going for
Not at all just be proactive by studying and checking on how to transport yourself from the hotel to New York, if possible know the name of the area your hotel is located, name of the train you will take to New York etc This should be your point of reference at the POE.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:23pm On Sep 21, 2017
Lewist:

it does not matter. The difference between the 2 states is just bridge.. With the subway you can make it to New York from New Jersey in 30 mins

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by echo2(m): 12:35pm On Sep 21, 2017
seyewest:

Not at all just be proactive by studying and checking on how to transport yourself from the hotel to New York, if possible know the name of the area your hotel is located, name of the train you will take to New York etc This should be your point of reference at the POE.

Thank you so
Much boss
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 12:41pm On Sep 21, 2017
echo2:

Thank you so
Much boss
Open google and start research.. first check how to move from New Jersey to New york then look for cheap hotels in Newark with subway access.

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by olumig(m): 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2017
echo2:

Oh ok, thank
Try Airbnb it's a cheaper option

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Lewist(m): 7:04am On Sep 22, 2017
I understand but it might bring extra question which he might not be comfortable for him I've witness alot of something like this

seyewest:

it does not matter. The difference between the 2 states is just bridge.. With the subway you can make it to New York from New Jersey in 30 mins

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tatalotambolo: 3:54pm On Sep 22, 2017
Hi people, just want to share my Poe experience with you all at last
My 3 kids, husband and finally made it to the USA on the 18th of September by royal air Maroc via' New York
Landed about 1.30 am and proceeded to the Poe, que was a long one and my family was last to do the fingerprints and all
Proceeded to the counter and after about two hours it was finally our turn
The office to my husband : hello how are you
Husband : good but very tired
Officer: where are you going?
Husband : Massachusetts
Officer : I see you are a.....
Husband :correct
Officer do you have any food?
Husband : yes
Officer :What type of food ?
Husband :Gari, Bla ,bla and bla
Officer : what's Gari?
Husband :laughing and Gari is bla bla bla
Officer : do you have the form filled out about the food?
Husband :sure
Officer : ok Pls follow me
We proceeded to a room where something was checked on d system and we were led to the cbp to identify our luggages
We had 7 luggages, 3 contained food, all bags were loaded on d scanner and all passed without any itch including my Palm oil, four kegs of agbo, one bag of iru, 24 Small bottles of origin bitters, four polybags of dry Uziza, bitter leave, saint leaves, and utazi leaves, Poundo yam, elubo, Fufu, Gari, crayfish, Cameroon pepper and atagungun, not forgetting my egusi too�all landed safely as we tiredly drag along into JFK arrival lounge

10 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by karli4nia(m): 4:58pm On Sep 22, 2017
tatalotambolo:
My 3 kids, husband and finally made it to the USA on the 18th of September by royal air Maroc via' New York
Landed about 1.30 am and proceeded to the Poe, que was a long one and my family was last to do the fingerprints and all
We proceeded to a room where something was checked on d system and we were led to the cbp to identify our luggages
We had 7 luggages, 3 contained food, all bags were loaded on d scanner and all passed without any itch including my Palm oil, four kegs of agbo, one bag of iru, 24 Small bottles of origin bitters, four polybags of dry Uziza, bitter leave, saint leaves, and utazi leaves, Poundo yam, elubo, Fufu, Gari, crayfish, Cameroon pepper and atagungun, not forgetting my egusi too�all landed safely as we tiredly drag along into JFK arrival lounge

Hmmmm... Nice one! Sounds like a smooth sail to me..Enjoy your stay in Mast...All the best.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ozim(m): 12:37pm On Sep 23, 2017
thanks so much I really do appreciate, but 1 last question, the last time I visited Orlando Florida with my wife we both fell sick after some few days cos of the change of environment and all that, but all the drugs I got from walmart and Walgreen didn't work on us, so this time we are thinking of going with some few drugs, say for fever and cold, will that be ok? thanks

seyewest:

Kosi wahala.. No problem
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Michoolu(m): 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2017
ozim:
thanks so much I really do appreciate, but 1 last question, the last time I visited Orlando Florida with my wife we both fell sick after some few days cos of the change of environment and all that, but all the drugs I got from walmart and Walgreen didn't work on us, so this time we are thinking of going with some few drugs, say for fever and cold, will that be ok? thanks

I always advice people to treat themselves for Malaria or take the drugs along.

Sure you can just put it in your main luggage. You will be fine
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by ozim(m): 5:31pm On Sep 23, 2017
many thanks bro, love hearing from you, guess we good to go, just pray Chicago should be much better that Florida, cos transportation system in Orlando Florida is a No No, spent so much going about with mears taxi

Michoolu:

I always advice people to treat themselves for Malaria or take the drugs along.

Sure you can just put it in your main luggage. You will be fine
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 6:59pm On Sep 23, 2017
tatalotambolo:

haaaa are you guys staying for a whole month? grin

2 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Rachie83: 6:50pm On Sep 24, 2017
tatalotambolo:

How long will y guys be staying with all this una load una no wan miss naija at all.lol what about your kids school? Well stay in America
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Beautyaddy: 11:06pm On Sep 24, 2017
seyewest:

haaaa are you guys staying for a whole month? grin

Yeah Right!

This family seems to have said "good bye to Nigeria"

5 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 11:12am On Sep 25, 2017
Beautyaddy:

Yeah Right!

This family seems to have said "good bye to Nigeria"
I don't think so just worried about the children school.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Beautyaddy: 5:41pm On Sep 25, 2017
seyewest:

You may not think so but the timing of the trip as well as the amount of languages mentioned already shows they have no plans of returning back to Nigeria any time soon.

However, mid September most kids are back in school...anyway, good luck to the family.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Fish123(m): 7:18pm On Sep 25, 2017
Don't you guyz think they might be on immigrant visa......
seyewest:

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Oracleatdelphi: 8:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
seyewest:
Fair enough... Just like Kaptain it's reasonable.
Well, I don't know how to use the reply box on this platform, so, I'm just gon' type straight ahead.

A big thank you to @Seyewest and @Kaptain for their response to my enquiry.

I traveled light with Etihad through Abu Dhabi and did Customs pre-clearing there. The airport was so large and modern, replete with facilities you would not even find in the US. Traversing from arrival to the departure lounge was one hell of a journey. Food and any other thing you want to buy instantly became unaffordable, lolxxx. Met some two other Nigerians who were also traveling Stateside for school. One of them lost his garri and Egusi kept in his hand luggage to @CBP. Layover was long - 8hrs, but it afforded the opportunity to look for food similar to our naija menu.

Finally, it was 23:30 local time and CBP opened counter. Was first on the queue and it was like old friends gisting. Here's the transcript:

CBP: Hello
Me: Hi
CBP: What are you coming to do in the US?
Me: To visit wife and kids
CBP: Smiling now. Oh! They've been here before you, vacationing?
Me: Nah! They're LPRs and I've not seen the kids in one year.
CBP: Really? Hope your wife has filed in for you. Do you have a priority date now?
Me: Yes, thanks for asking
CBP: What do you do?
Me: Told him my profession
CBP: Which University did you attend?
Me: Told him. Have you heard of the school before?
CBP: Smiles. Nah. Just asking. Shows me my bags on the screen and asked me to confirm ownership. He then told me he'd check my answers against my ds 160 and visa interview transcript.
Do you have anything to declare like alcohol, agricultural produce
Me: Fish, .....
CBP: Ok don't worry, welcome to the United States, have a nice stay.
Me: Thank you very much.

Flight took off at 03:35hrs and got to JFK after 12.5hrs in the air.

Still enjoying my stay, New Castle, Delaware is the place.

5 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by seyewest(m): 8:38pm On Sep 26, 2017
Oracleatdelphi:

Well, I don't know how to use the reply box on this platform, so, I'm just gon' type straight ahead.

A big thank you to @Seyewest and @Kaptain for their response to my enquiry.

I traveled light with Etihad through Abu Dhabi and did Customs pre-clearing there. The airport was so large and modern, replete with facilities you would not even find in the US. Traversing from arrival to the departure lounge was one hell of a journey. Food and any other thing you want to buy instantly became unaffordable, lolxxx. Met some two other Nigerians who were also traveling Stateside for school. One of them lost his garri and Egusi kept in his hand luggage to @CBP. Layover was long - 8hrs, but it afforded the opportunity to look for food similar to our naija menu.

Finally, it was 23:30 local time and CBP opened counter. Was first on the queue and it was like old friends gisting. Here's the transcript:

CBP: Hello
Me: Hi
CBP: What are you coming to do in the US?
Me: To visit wife and kids
CBP: Smiling now. Oh! They've been here before you, vacationing?
Me: Nah! They're LPRs and I've not seen the kids in one year.
CBP: Really? Hope your wife has filed in for you. Do you have a priority date now?
Me: Yes, thanks for asking
CBP: What do you do?
Me: Told him my profession
CBP: Which University did you attend?
Me: Told him. Have you heard of the school before?
CBP: Smiles. Nah. Just asking. Shows me my bags on the screen and asked me to confirm ownership. He then told me he'd check my answers against my ds 160 and visa interview transcript.
Do you have anything to declare like alcohol, agricultural produce
Me: Fish, .....
CBP: Ok don't worry, welcome to the United States, have a nice stay.
Me: Thank you very much.

Flight took off at 03:35hrs and got to JFK after 12.5hrs in the air.

Still enjoying my stay, New Castle, Delaware is the place.

Enjoy your holiday...
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Luuvvshola(m): 11:45pm On Sep 26, 2017
honestly all the question and answers in this section have an eye opener for intending first time visitor to the US. sir l would need your advice on the following;
1. we have a B1/B2 category visa for a family of four(hubby,wife and 2 kids) to visit florida for vacation and shopping but we intend to visit chicago as well. would if matter if we have our flight ticket out of florida to chicago with us at the POE since we never said we will be visiting chicago during embassy interview.
2. can we take our drivers license, medicines, atm cards, wifes jeweries along.
3. though during our interview we told the consulate we will b spending only 10days but can we change it to maybe 2wks at d POE.

THANKS
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tatalotambolo: 1:00am On Sep 27, 2017
tatalotambolo:

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by tatalotambolo: 1:11am On Sep 27, 2017
Am laughing here like kilode ! Really about d kids and school, that was one of the the bp rising worries of our lives, not sure of the questions we might have to face, but shockingly, no questions was asked at all about the kids, me or school, only hubby was asked a couple of questions, that's all
And for All the food, am glad I carried all of, come and see the way my host was dancing for joy, and hubby no miss Naija food at all at all ,
Hmmm my people, there is a big difference between ten and tempest o, America na ebe Ano... I encourage any one intending or praying to come, to do the needful and come over, see for yourself, don't let anyone discourage you, no worries, Naija na our own, when he better, we shall return

9 Likes

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Donaltus: 1:40am On Sep 27, 2017
tatalotambolo:
Am laughing here like kilode ! Really about d kids and school, that was one of the the bp rising worries of our lives, not sure of the questions we might have to face, but shockingly, no questions was asked at all about the kids, me or school, only hubby was asked a couple of questions, that's all
And for All the food, am glad I carried all of, come and see the way my host was dancing for joy, and hubby no miss Naija food at all at all ,
Hmmm my people, there is a big difference between ten and tempest o, America na ebe Ano... I encourage any one intending or praying to come, to do the needful and come over, see for yourself, don't let anyone discourage you, no worries, Naija na our own, when he better, we shall return
so you don leave us run commot Nija,I was wondering school have resume and u are still travelling with the kids.enjoy your stay in the usa
I will also enter state before December
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Bissycrown(m): 2:08pm On Sep 27, 2017
@seyewest and other smart guys here. Pls I need to know if anyone can help me with information on how to go about my itinerary. My intending date of travel is November 28th to be back by December 14th. I contacted wakanow agent who advised that I should go through New York for cheap fair. Meanwhile my destination is Baltimore and I intend to book Amtrak train to Baltimore but I don't know how to go about this. I don't know how to pay for the train from here. I dont want to have any issues with the CBD at the entry.Pls help a brother with valuable information or if anyone can help me out. Thanks alot guys.
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Beautyaddy: 4:43pm On Sep 27, 2017
Bissycrown:
@seyewest and other smart guys here. Pls I need to know if anyone can help me with information on how to go about my itinerary. My intending date of travel is November 28th to be back by December 14th. I contacted wakanow agent who advised that I should go through New York for cheap fair. Meanwhile my destination is Baltimore and I intend to book Amtrak train to Baltimore but I don't know how to go about this.[b] I don't know how to pay for the train from [/b]here. I dont want to have any issues with the CBD at the entry.Pls help a brother with valuable information or if anyone can help me out. Thanks alot guys.

You can purchase the Amtrak ticket by going online to their website below here

https://www.amtrak.com/home
Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Rachie83: 7:05pm On Sep 27, 2017
tatalotambolo:
Be expecting us by november pls don't finish the naija food abeg . lol

1 Like

Re: U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. by Bissycrown(m): 7:59pm On Sep 27, 2017
Thanks.

You can purchase the Amtrak ticket by going online to their website below here

https://www.amtrak.com/home[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (145) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.