Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment (19849 Views)

12 Steps To Clear A Car Through Nigeria Customs / Nigeria Customs Gives Deadline For Payment Of Import Duty On All Smuggled Cars / No Duty Payment No Plate Number Issuance - Customsng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by iboboyswag(m): 10:33am On Mar 11, 2017
lonelydora:

There's no signature on your profile

Sorry.....but you can check again now.

Best Regards.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by osmog: 10:36am On Mar 11, 2017
Noise
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by yusuf2(m): 11:05am On Mar 11, 2017
lonelydora:

Customs, VIO, and Police will just use you and enrich themselves. Dey there dey talk
Me wey no get motor? Abi na my Leg wey i dey use waka dem wan come seize.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by yusuf2(m): 11:40am On Mar 11, 2017
iboboyswag:

Don't mind him, he has been going on threads where motorist are being enlightened on the policy to state that the policy will not have any traction that they should trust him (as CG Customs na grin grin)

To your question, you can approach the nearest Customs area command and ask that they help with validating your document. They will charge a toKen. I can also help you with doing same.

Check my signature for more information.

Best Regards.
No sir, i am not the CG of Customs, my rank is far from that. There are so many obvious reasons why dis policy can not work. Unless you are an officer yourself, you would find it difficult to understand why but in the coming days, u would get to realise it.

I dont own a car and i know for how many years i've been saving up to buy one from my peanut salary, so i'm not going to stand on the road to seize cars from people who have struggled hard and managed to get one because of duty which by the way is very expensive if you dont know (eg the duty for a 2003 honda accord is not less than N400k). Let Hamid Ali himself stand on the road and seize cars, i'm not paid well enough to put my life at risk like that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 12:10pm On Mar 11, 2017
yusuf2:
This policy would never take off. Grace period would come and go and nothing would happen. Watch and see.

Okay wait and see, you think we are still under IB?
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by CHARLOE(m): 1:56pm On Mar 11, 2017
[quote author=saintjoel post=54479639]

Read through the posts again. [/quot77e]
I did, or is d c-number stated in other docs apart from d custom papers?
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 2:08pm On Mar 11, 2017
[quote author=CHARLOE post=54485316][/quote]

CHECK ON THE SGD FORM, YOU'LL SEE " CUSTOMS REFERENCE NUMBER " C? ??
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by lonelydora: 2:16pm On Mar 11, 2017
iboboyswag:

Sorry.....but you can check again now.

Best Regards.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by akigbemaru: 3:41pm On Mar 11, 2017
Nigeria custom and nice comments!
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by CHARLOE(m): 6:35pm On Mar 11, 2017
saintjoel:

CHECK ON THE SGD FORM, YOU'LL SEE " CUSTOMS REFERENCE NUMBER " C? ??
Kk tanx But no vex, which 1 be SGD form?
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by sshalom(m): 9:10pm On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:
Woe betide any custom officer dumb enough to stand in my way I will send him to his early grave grin

In Nigeria, things are done upside down. If I was the custom boss, I will
1. Setup an online system for Vin verification to make it easier for car owners to just input their car Vin which tell them whether their vehicle is in the system also which vehicle type the Vin is tied to incase of false/fake paper

2. Don't use a uniform payment method, rather a depreciation custom payment since the custom is responsible for allowing smuggled cars escape their radar. They should also pay for incompetence. So they collect registration data from frsc and bill custom duty on a depreciation basis. So if I registered a 2004 micra in 2010, I shouldn't pay same duty as someone who registered same 2004 micra in 2016.

3. Make a printable slip free of charge from Internet, so those who have valid documents when stopped by custom agbero can just flash their slip and the custom agbero just verify with car Vin to make checking easier and faster saves time and man hour. Those just paying will be issued the slip free along with their document.

4. Every vehicle imported will be given a certificate of custom clearance just like the Lagos State land use charge certificate, this certificate has security on it like the paper notes, this will make identifying fake custom documents easier.

Your submission apart from the opening statement smiley smiley shows clarity of mind, thoughtfulness and strategic thinking.

It is this type of thinking and approach that has made the western world what it is today. They think very deeply before they do things. They even simulate situations and create scenarios just to get it right. But here, the reverse is the case.

One more thing and as your contribution to the development of our nation; please crystallize these ideas and forward to the Ministry of Finance - I assure you someone will pick up on it.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by chronique(m): 9:14pm On Mar 11, 2017
All these ones na long thing. With the c-no, all your clearing details on your car, would appear on the custom ASSYCUDA system. They don't need to check through your hard copy to verify if you paid duty. Once they get your photocopy, they'd pick up the no and send to their office and confirm what they want.
nurey:
Woe betide any custom officer dumb enough to stand in my way I will send him to his early grave grin

1. Setup an online system for Vin verification to make it easier for car owners to just input their car Vin which tell them whether their vehicle is in the system also which vehicle type the Vin is tied to incase of false/fake paper

2. Don't use a uniform payment method, rather a depreciation custom payment since the custom is responsible for allowing smuggled cars escape their radar. They should also pay for incompetence. So they collect registration data from frsc and bill custom duty on a depreciation basis. So if I registered a 2004 micra in 2010, I shouldn't pay same duty as someone who registered same 2004 micra in 2016.

3. Make a printable slip free of charge from Internet, so those who have valid documents when stopped by custom agbero can just flash their slip and the custom agbero just verify with car Vin to make checking easier and faster saves time and man hour. Those just paying will be issued the slip free along with their document.

4. Every vehicle imported will be given a certificate of custom clearance just like the Lagos State land use charge certificate, this certificate has security on it like the paper notes, this will make identifying fake custom documents easier.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 9:27pm On Mar 11, 2017
chronique:
All these ones na long thing. With the c-no, all your clearing details on your car, would appear on the custom ASSYCUDA system. They don't need to check through your hard copy to verify if you paid duty. Once they get your photocopy, they'd pick up the no and send to their office and confirm what they want.

So let's say my car got burgled, my house got burnt, the documents were mistakenly shredded and I couldn't get the C-number (who has time to memorize it) so what next?
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 9:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
sshalom:

Your submission apart from the opening statement smiley smiley shows clarity of mind, thoughtfulness and strategic thinking.

It is this type of thinking and approach that has made the western world what it is today. They think very deeply before they do things. They even simulate situations and create scenarios just to get it right. But here, the reverse is the case.

One more thing and as your contribution to the development of our nation; please crystallize these ideas and forward to the Ministry of Finance - I assure you someone will pick up on it.

Thank you for the kind words, I will do that on Monday morning. But if you have a link or address (electronic) I can forward the suggestion to, I won't mind sir. Thanks once again
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by chronique(m): 10:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

So let's say my car got burgled, my house got burnt, the documents were mistakenly shredded and I couldn't get the C-number (who has time to memorize it) so what next?

Maybe custom should start giving out a badge with the c-no crested on it, and paste it(on the inner part or hood) of every car before it gets out of the port.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 10:18pm On Mar 11, 2017
chronique:

Maybe custom should start giving out a badge with the c-no crested on it, and paste it(on the inner part or hood) of every car before it gets out of the port.

That is a long thing and irrelevant. Are you saying the custom think tanks are wiser than car manufacturers? Even in developed world's, Vin is used for a whole lot of things from information on a vehicle, part tracking of a vehicle to color code and a whole lot of things.

If custom is a serious entity, they should have based their assycuda on Vin which is hard to tamper with and becomes irrelevant only when car burns grin, it follows car everywhere. This is the 21st century while custom still thinks we are in stone age

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by 1kinggy(m): 10:25pm On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

I really wish they can read and follow your suggestions but they are somewhere chasing bags of rice or whatever their concubines need.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by 1kinggy(m): 10:28pm On Mar 11, 2017
chronique:

Why do we need to go their offices. Just like VIN verification in the country of orihin/shipment, our custom and other uniformed "road-ents" should provide sites for basic document checks and verification.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by chronique(m): 10:51pm On Mar 11, 2017
Are you aware that vins can be tweaked and replaced?

Read :

http://www.scambusters.org/vinswitching.html

nurey:

That is a long thing and irrelevant. Are you saying the custom think tanks are wiser than car manufacturers? Even in developed world's, Vin is used for a whole lot of things from information on a vehicle, part tracking of a vehicle to color code and a whole lot of things.

If custom is a serious entity, they should have based their assycuda on Vin which is hard to tamper with and becomes irrelevant only when car burns grin, it follows car everywhere. This is the 21st century while custom still thinks we are in stone age
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by AutoReportNG: 10:53pm On Mar 11, 2017
nurey:

One thing I like about you is your constructive criticism, though it may be hard, but its worthwhile... When will you be chanced pls, I will need a guest column article from you, you are inducted into the AutoReportNG fan club by fire or by force.

Nice one bro
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 11:40pm On Mar 11, 2017
chronique:
Are you aware that vins can be tweaked and replaced?

Read :

http://www.scambusters.org/vinswitching.html

I don't need to follow that link, I know of a car dealer here who tampered with a Benz Vin here and was caught so it's not new.

But the question should be how will the custom Vin work, the process is simple
Car lands in Port, it is checked and Vin is the most important thing to capture they can also capture engine number etc but Vin, car make model and color follows the Vin. This is input in a universal system. Custom is done

To the buyer, you buy a scratch card like the jamb one and @ 500 naira which can be used 3 to 5 times only look for the car Vin input it in the universal system and it brings out the custom car details (when car came in, what port duty paid, importer etc)

Next frsc for licensing just show proof of receipt and or letter of sale from original owner car details is already there no need to ask for more

Now for police they will have space for change of car color and engine etc (a reason must be given for car color change after investigation must have been carried out to ascertain whether the car was used as hit and run or robbery or just personal preference)

That is all, when the federal institutions have a universal system they communicate with and continuously monitor it, all things will be in. Place. There is no need for road safety, police, army, airforce, ndlea, task force, lastma etc on the road. Just one uniform man and a universal online system tells alot about the vehicle.

I have not been to America but I have people living there, I watch sony crazy car chase. It's just one cop all he does is input plate number only and he can tell if it's registered to a salon car and it's make and model, if it has escaped infraction in other states, if it was reported stolen.

This our stupid leaders sees this and know it, but I don't understand why they choose to be different

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 11:46pm On Mar 11, 2017
AutoReportNG:

One thing I like about you is your constructive criticism, though it may be hard, but its worthwhile... When will you be chanced pls, I will need a guest column article from you, you are inducted into the AutoReportNG fan club by fire or by force.

Nice one bro

Shey the induction will be accompanied with a small party and semolina with confirm vegetable soup finished with melon (egusi) and furnished with stock fish (panla) , snail (egbin) , cray fish (ede) , dried fish (shawa) and liver (edor) with a nice cold yogurt to push it down? grin
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by chronique(m): 12:02am On Mar 12, 2017
Lol. I sell cars for a living and trust me, if it was that simple, custom would have taken that route. I have seen people bring in 2014 venza as 2009 venza, 2012 highlander as 2009,etc. All original vin stripped off and pimped with 2009 vin... If custom decides to do that, they would lose out badly. All our people would do, is to get details of an already cleared vehicle, clone its vin, smuggle in other models of same year and love-vendor with an already cleared vin details. That way, once custom stops the owner of the car, the details would tally with what is in the system but several cars will have that. How do you now detect the fake or original? Also, several cars would have the same chasis /vin no while registering. Who will agree that his own is fake?
nurey:

I don't need to follow that link, I know of a car dealer here who tampered with a Benz Vin here and was caught so it's not new.

But the question should be how will the custom Vin work, the process is simple
Car lands in Port, it is checked and Vin is the most important thing to capture they can also capture engine number etc but Vin, car make model and color follows the Vin. This is input in a universal system. Custom is done

To the buyer, you buy a scratch card like the jamb one and @ 500 naira which can be used 3 to 5 times only look for the car Vin input it in the universal system and it brings out the custom car details (when car came in, what port duty paid, importer etc)

Next frsc for licensing just show proof of receipt and or letter of sale from original owner car details is already there no need to ask for more

Now for police they will have space for change of car color and engine etc (a reason must be given for car color change after investigation must have been carried out to ascertain whether the car was used as hit and run or robbery or just personal preference)

That is all, when the federal institutions have a universal system they communicate with and continuously monitor it, all things will be in. Place. There is no need for road safety, police, army, airforce, ndlea, task force, lastma etc on the road. Just one uniform man and a universal online system tells alot about the vehicle.

I have not been to America but I have people living there, I watch sony crazy car chase. It's just one cop all he does is input plate number only and he can tell if it's registered to a salon car and it's make and model, if it has escaped infraction in other states, if it was reported stolen.

This our stupid leaders sees this and know it, but I don't understand why they choose to be different

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by nurey(m): 12:30am On Mar 12, 2017
chronique:
Lol. I sell cars for a living and trust me, if it was that simple, custom would have taken that route. I have seen people bring in 2014 venza as 2009 venza, 2012 highlander as 2009,etc. All original vin stripped off and pimped with 2009 vin... If custom decides to do that, they would lose out badly. All our people would do, is to get details of an already cleared vehicle, clone its vin, smuggle in other models of same year and love-vendor with an already cleared vin details. That way, once custom stops the owner of the car, the details would tally with what is in the system but several cars will have that. How do you now detect the fake or original? Also, several cars would have the same chasis /vin no while registering. Who will agree that his own is fake?

So I read something about law that says it's better for 1000s of offenders to beat the system than the system to punish unlawfully an innocent individual.

If custom duty was pocket friendly, the public worker (custom staffs) did their job of serving the interest of the public and the system less complicated things will work. How did a car coming in from unknown escape the port without proper clearance? That's where you know the problem of this country is metaphysical grin

The custom boss is putting the cart before the horse and his idea won't work eventually cause nah them go Taya. Except if the Vin was tampered with on the high sea, I don't see why that should cause a problem. But since car can walk out of Port by itself without anybody asking the car from where to where then we have a problem.

No be port a container loaded with guns Waka pass without anybody asking questions. I just gave my own input, the canker worm in the custom Maize needs tetrachloromethane which will kill the worm, the corn and make the soil useless too.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by chronique(m): 12:47am On Mar 12, 2017
Lol. If you have an idea what goes on at the port... The same port is where people pay 150k for duty of a car with that actual duty of 3m should have been paid on the car, and the car will come out...
nurey:

So I read something about law that says it's better for 1000s of offenders to beat the system than the system to punish unlawfully an innocent individual.

If custom duty was pocket friendly, the public worker (custom staffs) did their job of serving the interest of the public and the system less complicated things will work. How did a car coming in from unknown escape the port without proper clearance? That's where you know the problem of this country is metaphysical grin

The custom boss is putting the cart before the horse and his idea won't work eventually cause nah them go Taya. Except if the Vin was tampered with on the high sea, I don't see why that should cause a problem. But since car can walk out of Port by itself without anybody asking the car from where to where then we have a problem.

No be port a container loaded with guns Waka pass without anybody asking questions. I just gave my own input, the canker worm in the custom Maize needs tetrachloromethane which will kill the worm, the corn and make the soil useless too.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 9:10am On Mar 12, 2017
CHARLOE:

Kk tanx But no vex, which 1 be SGD form?

Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by CHARLOE(m): 9:44am On Mar 12, 2017
[quote author=saintjoel post=54507220][/quote]
Tanx, don't have it tho.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 12:35pm On Mar 14, 2017
***////////*** BREAKING NEWS********//////

ALLI HAS REFUSED TO MEET THE SENATE.. .

The Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Customs Service, NCS, Hameed Ali, has written the Senate, notifying the lawmakers he will not appear before them on Wednesday as expected. ‎
The Senate Clerk read Mr. Ali’s letter on Tuesday.
He was summoned last Thursday over the planned clampdown on vehicles without duty payment.
In its resolution, the Senate said Mr. Ali must appear in appropriate Customs uniform which he has not been publicly seen to have worn.
He had hit back at the Senate, asking the lawmakers to show interest in his work not his dress.
In his letter, he said he had to attend an NCS meeting; but the Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawann said that reason was not tenable.

More to come.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by evilspirit: 6:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
chronique:

You can't clone an already cleared car VIN if the system is well organised. It should flag it as a VIN of an already cleared car. Just as bank cannot give 2 people same account number. Secondly you can know the VIN of car by attaching an OBD2 scanner. Does the current process stop people from swapping VINs from 2016 and replacing with 2006?

And another thing is this, if the system is well organised, if you change the VIN of a 2016 car with that of 2006 the system will forever recognises the car as 2006 model you can only sell the car as a 2006 car.

All government needs to do is to see things from through the mind of a thief and put steps to stop it.

Everything the fraudulent importers do a serious Customs can fight against.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by saintjoel(m): 7:10pm On Mar 14, 2017
saintjoel:
***////////*** BREAKING NEWS********//////

ALLI HAS REFUSED TO MEET THE SENATE.. .

The Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Customs Service, NCS, Hameed Ali, has written the Senate, notifying the lawmakers he will not appear before them on Wednesday as expected. ‎
The Senate Clerk read Mr. Ali’s letter on Tuesday.
He was summoned last Thursday over the planned clampdown on vehicles without duty payment.
In its resolution, the Senate said Mr. Ali must appear in appropriate Customs uniform which he has not been publicly seen to have worn.
He had hit back at the Senate, asking the lawmakers to show interest in his work not his dress.
In his letter, he said he had to attend an NCS meeting; but the Senate Leader, Ahmed Lawann said that reason was not tenable.

More to come.

BREAKING: Ali arrives n’assembly, holds private meeting with Saraki

Senate President Bukola Saraki is at present meeting with Hameed Ali, comptroller-general of the Nigeria customs service (NCS), in his office at the national assembly complex.

Ali arrived at the senate wing of the national assembly complex a few minutes before 6pm.

This is coming a few hours after the senate reaffirmed its resolution to summon him over the customs’ planned seizure of vehicles without paid duty.

The senate had asked him to appear before it in a customs uniform. But Ali wrote to the senate president, saying he was still seeking legal advice on the matter.

He also said he would not be available on Wednesday because he is bereaved. But TheCable learnt that President Muhammadu Buhari had directed him to answer to the summons.
Re: Nigeria Customs Releases Update Of Grace Period For Auto Duty Payment by evilspirit: 7:21pm On Mar 14, 2017
The big men are the one's that benefit from underpayments. Pay duty of 700k instead of 15 million

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Is Faster Between Power Bikes And Sport Cars / This Is Ripsaw EV2,The World’s Fastest Luxury Super Civilian Tank / Mistakes To Avoid After A Car Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.