Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" (24360 Views)

Tory Lanez Tells IK Ogbonna To Stop Posting Nigerian Flag / Sonia Ogbonna Replaces Her Wedding Ring With Nose Ring / Hakeem Effect Transforms Nancy Isime And IK Ogbonna To Their Opposite Sex(es) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Omudia11: 10:05pm On Mar 09, 2017
Did he not marry her because of her status? Didn't he see other low class girls to marry?
highrise07:
women always playing the victim card , some of them are manufacturers of frustration. i don't support men who beat their wives , neither do i support women who marry because of money .

2 Likes

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by ephi123(f): 10:15pm On Mar 09, 2017
kstyle2:
Ok...i still can't see reasons why a man should beat his WIFE. This is a woman I spent time chasing, courted and even invited friends and family to come witness your union. We all know some women try to push guys to the wall but for you to beat her, worse, in the presence of your kids is regrettably lugubrious.
Women should also watch the things they say. A man has had a hard day at work and u start running your mouth...my dear your own don finish like person wey dey make call 4 army check point.
We need to ask our parents what they did to make their marriage work

grin omg
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by lonelydora: 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2017
FemiLastBorn:
This Guy above me Jus Go waste FTc. How can U Jus write ok On FTC

He's still typing
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 09, 2017
lonelydora:

He's still typing

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 09, 2017
Because you are fine abi?
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by bellenornor(f): 10:26pm On Mar 09, 2017
Flexherbal:
I do not like men that beat their wives.

There are always better ways to handle issues
I just wish u are as u say.. Kudos!
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Nobody: 10:41pm On Mar 09, 2017
That's right. No man has the right to turn a woman into a punching bag and a woman isn't obligated to stay in a dangerous marriage like that.

3 Likes

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by adabekee12(f): 11:08pm On Mar 09, 2017
Beating(physical abuse) is not the only form of abuse, there is financial and mental abuse also.

3 Likes

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by KanwuliaExtra: 11:17pm On Mar 09, 2017
I just dey pity this "Iyawo Instagram"!
She "don know where she be at". grin
Make her mouth dey sharp well-well ke! cheesy

Muchechechecheche

The "Okoye" wives nor dey make noise, e come be dis wan? undecided

Relationship expert ko!

3 Likes

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 09, 2017
KanwuliaExtra:
I just dey pity this "Iyawo Instagram"!
She "don know where she be at". grin
Make her mouth dey sharp well-well ke! cheesy

Muchechechecheche

The "Okoye" wives nor dey make noise, e come be dis wan? undecided

Relationship expert ko!

I couldn't agree more. Her busybody (gbazaqueen) is annoying. Can someone tell her to stop already undecided . I have never seen or heard of someone who is as annoying as this woman.

@Topic

PS I am against abuse on any gender. There have been cases of men being abused by their partners as well. Woe betide the person that will try to use my head to learn Kong fu, someone will definitely go and see their creator and it isn't me. Nansense

1 Like

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by tealaw(m): 11:36pm On Mar 09, 2017
South american women are known for not being content with just one man. I can bet you she will soon leave her marriage to go Bleep a colombian
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by GloriaNinja(f): 11:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
Any woman who is staying in abusive marriage has signed a death sentence, utterly wrong.
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by amokeme(f): 12:10am On Mar 10, 2017
Some women live for "what will people say" and die in that abusive marriage!
Lost a close family friend to this because of the "protecting my marriage/ making it work and for the sake of my children" crap! She was and always has been soft to a fault. She wouldn't talk about it, we will just be seeing different marks everyday. Her family told her not ro leave that he will change as time goes on and for the sake of her children.
Now when she died, the same useless people asking her to stay were still the same people murmuring about why she didnt leave. insulting her during the wake keeping cry Mtcheeew.
Live your life the way you want it, not the way society expect you to. Because truth is nobody cares! They are just bored and want to entertain themselves with your life that's all!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by amokeme(f): 12:18am On Mar 10, 2017
adabekee12:
Beating(physical) is not the only form of abuse, there is financial and mental abuse also.
Financial abuse?? Please can you enlightened me on this, never heard of it before
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Icaretoo: 12:33am On Mar 10, 2017
kstyle2:
Ok...i still can't see reasons why a man should beat his WIFE. This is a woman I spent time chasing, courted and even invited friends and family to come witness your union. We all know some women try to push guys to the wall but for you to beat her, worse, in the presence of your kids is regrettably lugubrious.
Women should also watch the things they say. A man has had a hard day at work and u start running your mouth...my dear your own don finish like person wey dey make call 4 army check point.
We need to ask our parents what they did to make their marriage work

most of them endured marriage and most women were afraid to live there homes for the mere fact "what will people say" or I can't live my children or there parents will not accept them back and so on ...they just learned to live each day as da come in d union mostly for their children

Also note that the rate of dependence on their husbands for almost everything was more as compared to women of now so they would reather endure all dat comes with marriage no matter how terrible, good or bad but not so as the case of these generation who do not have patience for anything.
funnily women were more abused and maltreated in does days compared to now but they grew up to obey and worship there husbands as he has d final say and the opinion of the woman does not court

3 Likes

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by redsun(m): 1:55am On Mar 10, 2017
Domestic violence is legitimate in Nigeria like looting and bribery. It is normal and not a big deal,even a university professor can beat his wife to a pulp and think it is not normal and macho. While the woman on the other hand will think it is a man's way of showing love.
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by adabekee12(f): 2:14am On Mar 10, 2017
Icaretoo:

most of them endured marriage and most women were afraid to live there homes for the mere fact "what will people say" or I can't live my children or there parents will not accept them back and so on ...they just learned to live each day as da come in d union mostly for their children

Also note that the rate of dependence on their husbands for almost everything was more as compared to women of now so they would reather endure all dat comes with marriage no matter how terrible, good or bad but not so as the case of these generation who do not have patience for anything.
funnily women were more abused and maltreated in does days compared to now but they grew up to obey and worship there husbands as he has d final say and the opinion of the woman does not court

Great point!!!
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by adabekee12(f): 2:17am On Mar 10, 2017
amokeme:

Financial abuse?? Please can you enlightened me on this, never heard of it before

THE BLOG 07/28/2014 05:38 pm ET | Updated Sep 27, 2014
Financial Abuse: 6 Signs and What You Can Do About it
By Ginger Dean
Financial abuse is something that we rarely discuss openly since it is often insidious and wrapped up in the confines of what appears to be otherwise, a normal relationship. Very rarely do the women in these relationships speak of the issue because of the shame attached to having to account for every penny spent or even ask for money just to purchase the very basic necessities in life.

So what are the signs and what can be done about it?

Forced Career Choices

Women in financially abusive relationships are often forced to take career paths they would not have chosen on their own. This keeps them from succeeding, eventually becoming financially stable and independent in their own right. Many women in these situations are either stay-at-home moms or if they do work, it is part-time with the permission of their spouse. If the woman is lucky enough to be able to work full-time in such a relationship then her partner often sabotages her career/work life by forcing her to stay home or giving an ultimatum around quitting the job or ending the relationship.

Every Penny Spent Is A Penny Tracked

Every penny, and I mean every penny must be accounted for when given to the woman in this relationship. If it cannot be accounted for then the emotional and even physical abuse ensues and consequences are handed out. This many involve being given less money for basic necessities or being forced to beg for money. The feeling of being trapped in the house with no money for gas, food or transportation is crippling and women in this type of relationship stick to this rule or they know they will suffer the consequences.

No Bank Accounts

No personal bank accounts. No debit card. No savings accounts. No checking account. All money comes from one source. The working partner. This puts the woman in the position of relying on her partner for her very existence, hand to mouth. She is not allowed to have a job and if she does then her checks go to her partner who deposits the money in a separate account out of her control.

Threats Of Leaving

This is one of the most overt forms of financial abuse. Threatening to leave or deny financial support knowing that the woman is unable to support herself without the finances of her partner. Once the partner levies such a threat, control is established since she knows without her partner, her daily needs won’t be met. So, she stays in her lane and keeps herself in line fearing that without her partner, she will be destitute with no place to go.

Lazy Bum - Deadbeat - My Woman-Is-My-Momma Syndrome

The men in these relationships control everything financially even though they aren’t working, because they take and control all of the money coming into the home. All the household bills are usually in the woman’s name and he never pays them, forcing her to work harder while never seeing the fruits of her labor.

Forced Family

In this situation, the woman is essentially pregnant every other year of the relationship, ensuring that she will never have the chance to return to work. Depending on her earning power, with the birth of each child, the cost of childcare makes it impossible to return to work. Her life’s work is to care for children and her partner while never knowing what it is like to taste financial freedom and independence. Ultimately, the woman in this relationship is dependent upon her partner for her survival.

What Can Be Done About It?

Leave. Plan your way slowly or swiftly out of this relationship and leave. Relationships like this can never be trusted to become equitable since so much of it is about power and control.
Reach out to trusted friends, relatives or even a local church who many be able to house you until you’re able to get on your feet.
If vocational training or education is a barrier to getting a job then start going to school online.
Skim money from whatever is given to you and save little by little. Every bit adds up. Open a bank account in secret and stash your money until you’re ready to leave. Ask friends and family for donations to this account while noting you will pay them back once you are on your feet. Start a blog and learn how to monetize it.
Get a job in secret. For example you can say that you’re volunteering and get a PT job walking dogs or babysitting while he is away or working during the day. Or find a position working from home, online.
Establish credit. Get a secured card that you keep only at a friend’s or family member’s house in a locked box. Use it to make purchases while building your credit.
Research all options with regards to government assistance around food stamps, housing and community-based services. When stepping out for the first time, this may be a temporary option to get you from point A to B while you establish yourself.
Have you ever been in a financially abusive relationship? What tips do you have for women in this situation?

12 Things Every Woman Should Know About Money
Follow Ginger Dean on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Gingerlatte
Ginger Dean
Founder, Girls Just Wanna Have Funds
MORE:

Marriage Relationships Marriage Advice Financial Education Financial Abuse
SUBSCRIBE TO & FOLLOW THE MORNING EMAIL
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more
Newsletter

address@email.com
Subscribe Now
9.14 M
9.38 M
472 K
Podcast
Add us on Snapchat

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ginger-dean/financial-abuse-6-signs-a_b_5627463.html
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by KanwuliaExtra: 3:12am On Mar 10, 2017
WellEndowed:

I couldn't agree more. Her busybody (gbazaqueen) is annoying. Can someone tell her to stop already undecided . I have never seen or heard of someone who is as annoying as this woman.

@Topic

PS I am against abuse on any gender. There have been cases of men being abused by their partners as well. Woe betide the person that will try to use my head to learn Kong fu, someone will definitely go and see their creator and it isn't me. Nansense

I can't imagine a Nigerian woman going to Columbia to make all dis kain noise o. She needs to chill for real.

Especially as Juliet Ibrahim don tia race from the IK runs.

Na only she waka "go" dia? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Flexherbal(m): 4:13am On Mar 10, 2017
bellenornor:

I just wish u are as u say.. Kudos!
I am, my dear!

I only work hard to make them happy. I do not lay hands on women, not even my younger sister.
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by delishpot: 5:13am On Mar 10, 2017
Mzflow:
Maybe she's leaving soon also lipsrsealed

Typical woman.
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by delishpot: 5:23am On Mar 10, 2017
amokeme:

Simple. The man makes sure the wife is never financially independent.
I had a colleague who refused to sponsor his wife's NYSC, he said she is married to him and doesn't need to plan for any job outside their home. She had to seek help from her uncles and parents to go do her youth service. Then he said she could not work, he is also physically abusive. So when ever she manages to get a job, he beats her up and starves her and their child. Or he gives her #50 only to buy indomie for the child but doesn't give her a dime for herself.He also brought his dad to live with them. Dad was a pant chaser too grin grin grin he said he brought his dad so that she would keep busy by cooking, cleaning and fetching water for him. This Na papa wey strong pass even the son grin grin
The wife finaly left that marriage. Now she is doing well with her kids.
See that is financial abuse. The abuser either stops the partner out rightly from making a living or they keep a very tight régime on how money even if earned flows into the abused partners pocket.
Some marriages eh, people ESP women Dey endure many bull shit o. All because their mothers and fore mothers also endured the same. Some wives also financially abuse their husband's ESP those that lose their source of income.

1 Like

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by sirchrisnewsline(m): 6:30am On Mar 10, 2017
stay n pray over it

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by italo: 6:32am On Mar 10, 2017
adabekee12:
Beating(physical) is not the only form of abuse, there is financial and mental abuse also.

Verbal abuse too.
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by italo: 6:33am On Mar 10, 2017
Flexherbal:

I am, my dear!

I only work hard to make them happy. I do not lay hands on women, not even my younger sister.

Bros, may I ask if you're married?
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by italo: 6:36am On Mar 10, 2017
Is she saying if a man slaps his wife, the woman should leave the abusive marriage?
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by Flexherbal(m): 7:06am On Mar 10, 2017
italo:
Bros, may I ask if you're married?

It is a decision i have taken long ago.
I have met some stubborn ladies and i stood by that that promise, married or not, i will never rise my hands on any woman. Lol!

1 Like

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:26am On Mar 10, 2017
teamsynergy:
I believe a child seeing his or her father batter the mother will ruin him or her psychologically than being raised by a single parent .....
Thats completely untrue.
when I was little my did that to my mum a couple of times.
Now am grown and married and don't see anyhow it has negatively affected me psychologically, except that it has made me more resolute not to mete such treatment to my wife.
Been married for some yrs now and not even once have I hit my Wife.
And do u know something, my mum and dad are in their 60s now and still married with so much luv between them.
Many times all these relationship xpert theories don't work.

1 Like

Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by PETUK(m): 7:29am On Mar 10, 2017
Elisean:
I spit on men who beats their wives

Disgrace to ur bladdy race.
Brother i pray may you be in a relationship with a frustrated woman your opinion will change the next day
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by PETUK(m): 7:31am On Mar 10, 2017
Flexherbal:

It is a decision i have taken long ago.
I have met some stubborn ladies and i stood by that that promise, married or not, i will never rise my hands on any woman. Lol!
you've never met a stubborn woman trust me, your opinion will change
Re: Sonia Ogbonna To Women: "Leave Abusive Marriage For The Sake Of Your Kids" by PETUK(m): 7:33am On Mar 10, 2017
bigwina:
today's big win uncovered, confirmed and ready to cashout. call me on number below to subscribe.
give me 5 for tomorrow's game

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Halima Abubakar Celebrates Her 33rd Birthday With Stunning Makeup Photos / Aki & Wife At Encomium's Black & White Ball / Fathia Balogun, Mercy Aigbe Stun At Movie Premiere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.