Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) (28015 Views)

Cost Of Renting Short Let Apartments In Abuja | Co-tenant / What Would Be The Cost Of Building A 4-bedroom Duplex Now In Abuja / What Is The Cost Of Building 8 Flat In Benin City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by MrIcredible: 3:22am On Mar 15, 2017
Drazeen:

This generation is worse. Trust me.
Liar
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by JohnnyCash12(f): 3:48am On Mar 15, 2017
hahahha... 4 naira wouldn't be easy to come by back den
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Joewax(m): 4:09am On Mar 15, 2017
[s][/s][b][/b][color=#000099][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
ALAYORMII:
Can you bring ursef to think that a room in Lagos once cost 2 pounds which is 4 naira.

ALAYORMII:
Can you bring ursef to think that a room in Lagos once cost 2 pounds which is 4 naira.

ALAYORMII:

Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Toybreezy: 4:15am On Mar 15, 2017
ALAYORMII:

. Funny how the person on the receipt and I share the same surname. Na wa o
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Ewucanbeer: 4:51am On Mar 15, 2017
Nigeria was using Naira in July 1976! Obasanjo was min power.
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by ddeola: 5:18am On Mar 15, 2017
That 2 pounds then may be around N20 000 or more now o. Don't mix things up
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by emi14: 5:25am On Mar 15, 2017
HAH:
This is a lie Nigeria doesn't use pounds in 1976, Naira came into use on January 1, 1973

May be the receipt is for a hotel in another country definitely not Nigeria

Don't mind them. False informations. Where in Lagos? Because Ikeja Ikoyi Badia and Ijora are not the same in rent till date.

Again, what is the purchasing power of 2pounds early 70s before the introduction of naira?
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by emi14: 5:29am On Mar 15, 2017
emeijeh:
But as at '76 we had gone Naira and kobo

Maybe Lai Mohammed is the op's uncle.
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by yinkslinks(m): 6:24am On Mar 15, 2017
Why did we selfishly allow the white men to go? Looks at south-africa today cry cry cry Now no real white men in Nigeria. Just Lebanese, Indians.
ALAYORMII:

Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by 36STATES: 7:26am On Mar 15, 2017
HAH:
This is a lie Nigeria doesn't use pounds in 1976, Naira came into use on January 1, 1973

May be the receipt is for a hotel in another country definitely not Nigeria

You think the old printed receipt were sent to the shredder because Naira came into being?

Many Germans still write Dutch mark when referring to Euro......almost 20 yrs after. Older Italians are yet to move away from Lira.

1 Like

Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by ALAYORMII: 7:27am On Mar 15, 2017
cosade:

I doubt this receipt. Nigeria was not spending pounds in 1976. We changed to Naira on first of January 1973 and even the writing on the receipt looks too fresh to have been written in 1976.

Doubting Thomas

About the pounds issue, we were still calling Nigerian naira pounds in the nineties. We call it "poun marun" which is ten naira even though it's naira

About the neatness of the receipt

I have the birth certificate of my sister who was born in 1973 and if you see it you will think it was written two years ago
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by DirewolfofStark(m): 7:47am On Mar 15, 2017
toshmann:

You de craze? angry.
Leave the babe alone. Ask her out if you want, date her if you like(if she gree). Buy her gifts if u like but for crissake, dont you ever ever ever ever ever talk to her about leaving liverpool for that man-scum you call united!! angry

UNA JUST DEY JEALOUS US.....

1 Like

Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by ALAYORMII: 7:54am On Mar 15, 2017
36STATES:

You think the old printed receipt were sent to the shredder because Naira came into being?

Many Germans still write Dutch mark when referring to Euro......almost 20 yrs after. Older Italians are yet to move away from Lira.

Some people don't sit down and analyse issues before jumping into conclusions

Even into the nineties, people were still stuck on the pounds even though Naira is now our currency

Go to Ghana, most of them still don't know the new worth of their currency they are still stuck on the old worth

For example

1000 Ghana cedis is around #45-50000

But they will tell you the old conversion rate which could be 1million Ghana Cedis to #45000
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by cosade(m): 8:10am On Mar 15, 2017
ALAYORMII:

Doubting Thomas

About the pounds issue, we were still calling Nigerian naira pounds in the nineties. We call it "poun marun" which is ten naira even though it's naira

About the neatness of the receipt

I have the birth certificate of my sister who was born in 1973 and if you see it you will think it was written two years ago

It's true that some villagers could still say "poun marun" even till date but no one would issue receipt for a currency not received. In 1976, Nigeria was spending Naira and not Pounds.

On doubting Thomas, a student of forensics even for a day would tell you that the age of that paper is more than the handwriting on it. I suspect that the writer saw the blank receipt and decided to write on it, but forgot that in 1976 Nigeria was already spending Naira.

Take a look at your sister's birth certificate, you'll observe that the paper is as fresh as the handwriting on it.
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by akuadika4: 8:15am On Mar 15, 2017
Nigeria was using Naira in 1976. We dropped pounds in 1972? Maybe that was 2 (two) Naira, cos my dad's property in Warri earned him 100 (one hundred) Naira per room in 1990.
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Donwizbro(m): 8:15am On Mar 15, 2017
praisekeyzz:
ancient of days!

Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Nobody: 8:20am On Mar 15, 2017
Omojudy:
As the guy above me said Nigeria wasn't using pounds in that year. Moreover if true, eh even dey expensive. Two pounds for one month in a room way back then?
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by ALAYORMII: 8:29am On Mar 15, 2017
cosade:

It's true that some villagers could still say "poun marun" even till date but no one would issue receipt for a currency not received. In 1976, Nigeria was spending Naira and not Pounds.

On doubting Thomas, a student of forensics even for a day would tell you that the age of that paper is more than the handwriting on it. I suspect that the writer saw the blank receipt and decided to write on it, but forgot that in 1976 Nigeria was already spending Naira.

Take a look at your sister's birth certificate, you'll observe that the paper is as fresh as the handwriting on it.

Bro, the receipt actually belong to my dad and it was after his death that I took it

My dad was a good record keeper

I have another receipt of 1976 that's still very neat

I have application letter he wrote to WAPCO cement way back
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by cosade(m): 9:51am On Mar 15, 2017
ALAYORMII:

Bro, the receipt actually belong to my dad and it was after his death that I took it

My dad was a good record keeper

I have another receipt of 1976 that's still very neat

I have application letter he wrote to WAPCO cement way back

Ok. I heard you.
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 15, 2017
auntysimbiat:
Hmmmm... Dedicating this throwback thread space to tupac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKHXWnshdM
2.1/5 mins problem just cost me 15 days in jail. thats my man.love u Pack
Re: The Cost Of A Room Way Back In 1976 (Photo) by Godspikin: 2:40pm On Mar 15, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PICK YOUR FLOOR WOODEN TILES HERE WITH PICTURE / A Love @ First Sight Bungalow’s,terrace,land @bogie Lekki+2349030188831 / Buy Locally Made Metal Security Doors Call 08182481552 For More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.