Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,975 members, 7,821,410 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

Only GOD Deserves Worship; But Culture Says NO (part 1) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Only GOD Deserves Worship; But Culture Says NO (part 1) (264 Views)

Father Mbaka Slams Critics, Says God Deserves Money And Will Punish Them / It's Only God And Apostle Suleman's Wife That Can Condemn Him / "Only God Will Bring Buhari Back" - Primate Ayodele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Only GOD Deserves Worship; But Culture Says NO (part 1) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 12, 2017
Only GOD Deserves Worship; but Culture says NO (Part 1)

Text: Isaiah 42:8
"I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images."

Anybody who is of God, loves the Lord Jesus Christ and abide in Him will be grieved as they watch Christians treat their church leaders as divine. The honour many believers give these men and in some cases women they cannot give to God, their Creator.

In the first part of this message, we shall see how the practise of bowing, kneeling, prostrating before any man or woman runs very contrary to the commandments of God. Many believers kneel, prostrate or bow before their pastors, bishops, general overseers, general superintendents etc and are unperturbed about such actions. I once saw a Nigeria based general overseer seating comfortably while his fellow pastors (not just members) were kneeling to discuss with him. I watched again as another leading Nigerian pastor prostrate flat on the floor before another pastor. It is most unfortunate that most believers do not see anything wrong with this evil practices because they think it is part of the African culture to bow, kneel or prostrate before elders. This practice of veneration of persons is not limited to Africans alone. Even in the United Kingdom, people practically worship the Queen of England all in the name of culture. The honour that many British people will not render to God, they will give to their queen.

Firstly, let me point out that culture is a product of rebellion against God. Culture came through man's self will to build a tower to reach heaven, make a name for himself and be independent of God (Genesis 11:4). In order to make man discontinue from the building of this tower, God had to confound the once common language of the world for them not to understand each other (Genesis 11:5-cool. Brethren, nothing good can come out of a corrupt foundation. A fig tree cannot bear olive trees, neither vine, figs. No fountain can both yield salt water and fresh water (James 3:12).

The culture of kneeling, prostrating, bowing before a fellow man is not of God. God is against it. To kneel, prostrate and bow are actions that involve worship, which is only meant for God. Worship is not for any man, no matter his real or perceived accomplishments. Psalm 95:6 says "O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our maker." Bible never teaches that we kneel, prostrate or bow before anybody including general overseers, bishops, apostles, elders in the church, elders in our families etc but to rise before the aged.

Leviticus 19:32
Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the Lord.

To kneel, bow or prostrate before a fellow human being aside from sharing with God His glory, is idolatry. This is the reason Mordecai refused to bow or reverence Haman, king Ahasuerus' order notwithstanding (Esther 3:2-5). It is important to note that Mordecai took this action at the risk of his own life and by extension the entire Jewish people in all the provinces of the kingdom of Persia and Media (Esther 3:5-11).

This commandment of God is not limited to the Old Testament alone; we also find this in the New Testament.

Acts 10:25-26
25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. 26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.

We see glaringly in verse 25, that when Cornelius fell down at Peter's feet, the next thing the Bible says is that he (Cornelius) worshipped Peter. Thereby supporting the fact that kneeling before somebody (no matter who) is an act of worship. Peter who had a deeper spiritual understanding had to take Cornelius up immediately. Let us be reminded that Peter was one of the foremost of Christ's disciples. He was a member of Christ's inner circle of disciples. He was one of the disciples who was with Christ when Christ was transfigured (Matthew 17:1-2). He preached on the day of Pentecost and three thousand souls got saved (Acts 2:41). He healed a lame man by the power of the Holy Spirit and in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 3:6-7). He it was who raised Dorcas from death (Acts 9:40-41). His shadow healed the sick in Acts 5:15-16. This man with the level of God's anointing upon his life refused worship, yet today's general overseers, bishops, apostles, pastors etc with little or no anointing at all desire and accept worship. I ask, who has bewitched the church of the 21st century?

Just as Peter refused to be worshipped so also do angles of God in heaven. Let us turn our Bibles to
Revelation 19:10
"And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Revelation 22:8-9
8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

We see in these two passages the angel warning John the beloved not to worship him as John fell at his feet. Rather, he should worship God. Again, we see that to kneel before anyone is an act of worship to the person before whom we kneel, bow or prostrate.

We are warned as servants of the Most High God never to kneel before one another. We are commanded to kneel before God and He alone deserves our worship.

On the contrary, whenever we read that somebody knelt down in the Bible and he or she is not told to stand up, then the Person before whom that person is kneeling or bowing to must be God. Let us look into the Bible to support this fact.

Genesis 18:1-3
And the Lord appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; 2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, 3 And said, My Lord, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

Joshua 5:13-15
13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? 14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant? 15 And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

The above incidence in Joshua is the Theophany (the visible manifestation) of Christ Who is God.

In the New Testament while here on earth the Lord Jesus Christ accepted worship rightly because He is God.
Luke 5:8
“When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.”

Matthew 9:18
“While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.”

When He ascended to heaven to be seated at the right hand of His Father, He still accepted worship because His stature as God has not diminished.
Revelation 1:17
“17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:”

God must always be worshipped.
Revelation 7:11
“11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God.

Conclusion
Those who follow culture sheepishly without regard to God's Word must desist from doing so. Culture is good when it does not contradict the Word of God. But when it does that culture should not only be discarded but torn to pieces. Many will miss heaven not because of adultery, fornication, uncleanness etc, but because of their idolatrous lifestyles. It is always better to obey God rather than man. Our Lord Jesus Christ warns us sternly as follows in Luke 12:4-5
“4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.”

Brethren think on these things. Like the Lord Jesus Christ says in John 13:17 “If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.”

Till we meet again on this platform, I remain yours in Christ Jesus, our soon coming King.

God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

Repent Today! The Kingdom Of God Is At Hand! / Sex Scandal :apostle Suleiman’s Alleged Ex-lover Arraigned For Intent To Blackma / "Come Ye, And Let Us Go Up To The Mountain Of The Lord."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.