Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South (10577 Views)

2019: Tinubu, Governors May Be Seeking Amaechi's Removal As Buhari's Campaign DG / Fascinating Photos Of Nigeria Taken Decades Before Its Independence And After. / Igbo's Cannot Leave The North Because Of Their Numerous Investments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2017
This thread is borne out of the many observations from some Igbo's in Nigeria today, it will be important that the Igbo's realize that sleeping on your enemies mat does not make them your friend. No other tribe or ethnic group will give the Igbo's what they don't have instead they will seek to deprive the Igbo's of what they ought to get. That is the Igbo reality in Nigeria. I noticed on a thread seeking answers to where is more suitable to build a port for the southeast and south south? on that thread I noticed how some Igbo's were mentioning other towns that don't even have the economy, security, human resource or even potential to sustain a port the only thing that those towns are famous for is oil deposit which does not translate to success.

Some of the towns even have ports that have been idle for years but since the birth of Onitsha port every governor in the SS region wants to build a port even when they could barely sustain the few in their region and the southeast not having any. My question now to these Igbo's is why do you want to give up your Onitsha river port and Obuaku sea port for another in the SS. it is even a debate now as to where is more suitable when Onitsha clearly carries the day. Igbo are not known to speak from both sides of the mouth, Igbo's on Nairaland should stop being petty or bringing ridicule to our great race both at home and in diaspora. The action of some Igbo's on Nairaland are making Igbo's receive insults from tribes that can't match the success or feat of one local government in Anambra talk least of Anambra or the Igbo nation at large.

As long as one Nigeria still exist today, Igbo's should promote Igbo land interest and southeast interest only. In Nigeria nobody promotes Igbo or SE interest so except we are talking of Igbo land in general which includes the entire southeast and some part of south south, we should stop promoting project outside Southeast. Igbo's should focus on Igbo land and not South south. In Nigeria every ethnic National or region push for the interest of their people and region when it comes to national, economic, or infrastructural interest, however we are free to form political allegiance with the south south or any other region. No other group or region have the interest of Igbo's like the Igbo's themselves. Igbo's deserve to have their own Sea and river port in SE.

Igbo's should be pushing for Onitsha river port and Obuaku sea port, both Cities of Onitsha and Aba are the only two cities that can successfully sustain a thriving sea port in SE/SS that will have maximum patronage and make profits, moreover Igbo land needs direct access to the world we should not be at the mercy of any ethnic group or region we are blessed beyond dependence. We all noticed how some ethnic group consistently chorused against the dredging of the Niger River to avoid Igbo's access to the sea so why promote the interest of people who do not mean well for us instead we should be promoting Igbo land in general. On this note Igbo's let us promote Igbo land and interest, thank God the current Ohanaeze President is doing a great job at uniting Igbo land across all borders.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by ZombieTERROR: 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2017
Rubbish

13 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by Blue3k(m): 3:03pm On Mar 14, 2017
myplaydiary:
My question now to these Igbo's is why do you want to give up your Onitsha river port and Obuaku sea port for another in the SS. it is even a debate now as to where is more suitable when Onitsha clearly carries the day.

Nobody has given up anything. Ibom Deep Seaport hardly effects you building Onitsha inland port. If you think Anambra has all the qualities to sustain the port lobby your State government to get working on project.

Akwa Ibom project is mainly funded by private sector. It's 20% federal government funding, 20% State Government, 60% Private funding. If Ananbra has so much wealth and business I don't see why your government doesn't do same. The federal government wants to dredge up 10km of inland waterways. Get you State representives on the job.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 3:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
ZombieTERROR:
Rubbish
Are you Igbo? No, Oya face front.

1 Like

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 9:44pm On Mar 14, 2017
Blue3k:

Nobody has given up anything. Ibom Deep Seaport hardly effects you building Onitsha inland port. If you think Anambra has all the qualities to sustain the port lobby your State government to get working on project.

Akwa Ibom project is mainly funded by private sector. It's 20% federal government funding, 20% State Government, 60% Private funding. If Ananbra has so much wealth and business I don't see why your government doesn't do same. The federal government wants to dredge up 10km of inland waterways. Get you State representives on the job.
Onitsha port have gone beyond all you mentioned, it only limitations now are gazette and dredging of the river to carry heavy vessels all which are beyond the powers of the state government.

12 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by Blue3k(m): 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2017
myplaydiary:
Onitsha port have gone beyond all you mentioned, it only limitations now are gazette and dredging of the river to carry heavy vessels all which are beyond the powers of the state government.

Second half of comment is your solution. Lobby your reps and get private and federal government involved. They already want inland waterways dredged.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by raker300: 10:05pm On Mar 14, 2017
myplaydiary:
dont mind that guy..he just wants to make noise. Let him show the progress of the port he's talking about. Onitsha port is standing already. It's handling ferried goods already yet he's making noise.

Talking about international standard port, Nigeria doesn't have any..even Lagos isn't up to international standard.

Onitsha river banks have already finished developing, they can play politics all they want, we'll get there on our own like we've always done

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 10:17pm On Mar 14, 2017
raker300:
dont mind that guy..he just wants to make noise. Let him show the progress of the port he's talking about. Onitsha port is standing already. It's handling ferried goods already yet he's making noise.

Talking about international standard port, Nigeria doesn't have any..even Lagos isn't up to international standard.

Onitsha river banks have already finished developing, they can play politics all they want, we'll get there on our own like we've always done
Thanks i was already asking myself if he deserves another response cause one could touch the level insincerity and hypocrisy emanating from his post, can you Imagine he even asked that the Governor lobby to get the port dredged and gazetted, things that should ordinarily follow with the completion of the Port after all it's in the Interest of the country at large.
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by ESDKING: 10:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
O.P, pls stop this division.There is no difference between between SS and SE . The names SS and SE were given for a political purpose which you know yourself. People should know that Igbo settlements didn't end in five SE States,Its beyond that and even some parts of kogi and Benue have Igbo indigenes.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by kingzizzy: 10:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
There is no such thing as SE or SS. Igbo land is not SE
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by meccuno: 10:25pm On Mar 14, 2017
onitsha has the potentials to be a great place if only we have leaders from the SE that have the interest of that region at heart. am really glad that some of these people are beginning to wake up. with time we would get there.
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 10:41pm On Mar 14, 2017
Igbo land will be great.
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 10:48pm On Mar 14, 2017
kingzizzy:
There is no such thing as SE or SS. Igbo land is not SE
You should have read the post before dropping your comment, Better still refer to my response to Ikeg.
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by Blue3k(m): 11:17pm On Mar 14, 2017
raker300:

Making noise about what? All I said is nobody holding u down there's options and support. The op made long post making it feel like somebody out to get SE.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 12:01am On Mar 15, 2017
ESDKING:
O.P, pls stop this division.There is no difference between between SS and SE . The names SS and SE were given for a political purpose which you know yourself. People should know that Igbo settlements didn't end in five SE States,Its beyond that and even some parts of kogi and Benue have Igbo indigenes.
There is nothing divisive about my thread or post i am simply calling on all Igbo's in SS/SE to focus on those things that make us stronger and do away with those that divide us, being Igbo is was Unites Igbo's in SE/SS and the geopolitical expression like you rightly mentioned is that which divides us. Igbos should focus more on being Igbo's and less of South east or south south, thank God our elders (Ohaneze) have realize this and are forming a common ground to achieve that unity across both regions, now nairaland Igbo's who still dwell in the delusion that SS is SE or Vise versa is simply deceiving him or herself focus on Igbo Unity not SS unity if Igbos are United on a common ground there is no mountain we cant surmount.

1 Like

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by raker300: 12:12am On Mar 15, 2017
Blue3k:

Making noise about what? All I said is nobody holding u down there's options and support. The op made long post making it feel like somebody out to get SE.
oga cool it!
Don't think we all didn't notice the passive aggressive way you used to put down anambra state.

statements like "getting your reps to dredge a river" like as if only se reps can move a motion in the senate.

The op was stating how no one except the igbos is making moves to get the ports in se ready and you're here spooning over who wants to get the igbos and whatnot

Post a list of the "private business men" building the ports at Ibom make we see.
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 12:33am On Mar 15, 2017
raker300:
oga cool it!
Don't think we all didn't notice the passive aggressive way you used to put down anambra state.

statements like "getting your reps to dredge a river" like as if only se reps can move a motion in the senate.

The op was stating how no one except the igbos is making moves to get the ports in se ready and you're here spooning over who wants to get the igbos and whatnot

Post a list of the "private business men" building the ports at Ibom make we see.
Raker300 Dont mind that guy, I thought I was the only one who noticed how he tried to mock the Anambra state govt and reps, as if their voice alone can get the port operational. I can bet you he is one of those people that wants the Igbo's to remain Economic servitude in Nigeria, but with God on our side we will keep breaking bounds both home and abroad.

1 Like

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by raker300: 12:38am On Mar 15, 2017
myplaydiary:
Raker300 Dont mind that guy, I thought I was the only one who noticed how he tried to mock the Anambra state govt and reps, as if their voice alone can get the port operational. I can bet you he is one of those people that wants the Igbo's to remain Economic servitude in Nigeria, but with God on our side we will keep breaking bounds both home and abroad.
very divisive people.

The igbos have fought with the ss from the beginning of time..
From the time of nzogwu, after the Igbo support they decided to seize Igbo properties.

Now after fighting with them for 13% oil, they got it and remembered that they no longer igbos.

Ordinary to throw support behind the Igbo nation to get a port, they're fiddling with themselves

6 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by Blue3k(m): 12:51am On Mar 15, 2017
raker300:
oga cool it!

Lol are u still crying? Who else but your state reps is supposed to be advocating for for you most. Next Federal government wants to dredge uo inland port if you read Recovery Plan. They are in NASS floor for this reason. What are u talking about? Moves are being made quick google search shows your wallowing in victimhood.

If you feel my comments are putting down Anambra you're probably just sensitive. Nobody trying to hurt you calm down son. Lol you guys are too sensitive for your own good. It's not healthy to have paranoia gripping you all the time.

@myplaydiary your still playing victim. How does my comment indicate me wanting u to be in economics servitude? You guys are out your minds.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://marineandpetroleum.com/content/senate-okays-inland-ports-onitsha-enugu-aba&ved=0ahUKEwim06fhlNfSAhUD34MKHdccCBs4ChAWCC4wBQ&usg=AFQjCNGi92P0UxvVAc8ObdIE9XPVT7iGqg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://businesshilights.com.ng/finally-niwa-set-to-concession-onitsha-port-3-other/&ved=0ahUKEwiujq7nltfSAhUp94MKHdxACus4ChAWCCowBQ&usg=AFQjCNGXcvJGtPnpdy888J_wUUzhn36SPw

2 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 12:55am On Mar 15, 2017
Blue3k:

Mr it is clear you did not get the purpose of this thread, I will explain it to you in simple terms. All I am saying is that Igbo's should support their own and push for their own first as that is how the system works in Nigeria. In other word Onitsha River port and Obuaku Sea port should come on stream before any Igbo man supports or use any other port. Igbo's should start learning how to put themselves first in Nigeria as we have it today. Until Igbo's get this right we will keep crying fowl and facing the federal infrastructural deficits that we are used too. I know you are from Akwa cross thats why I am taking my time to explain it to you.

It is both sad and unfortunate that few Nairaland Igbo's celebrate infrastructural development in SS as if it was in Igboland yet they are mocked by the same people that they rejoice with because Igboland lack basic federal infrastructure and presence.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by PFRB: 9:37am On Mar 15, 2017
Onitsha River port does not connect to the sea. After Onitsha, the river Niger divides into so many branches as it goes down the sea. The nun river, the brass river and Orashi river are all branches. These branches have had so many brides constructed along them and where there are no bridges, the rives are shallow so cannot allow big vessels to navigate them.
Obuaku has no connect to the sea. The nearest is Imo river which has been bridged along it. The Azumini blue river is a bit far but needs to be widened and dredged to accommodate ocean going vessels.
All these are huge projects that will take a long time to realise. The environmental impacts may supersed the economic advantages and so the govt of the day may not approve such projects.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 11:06am On Mar 15, 2017
PFRB:
Onitsha River port does not connect to the sea. After Onitsha, the river Niger divides into so many branches as it goes down the sea. The nun river, the brass river and Orashi river are all branches. These branches have had so many brides constructed along them and where there are no bridges, the rives are shallow so cannot allow big vessels to navigate them.
Obuaku has no connect to the sea. The nearest is Imo river which has been bridged along it. The Azumini blue river is a bit far but needs to be widened and dredged to accommodate ocean going vessels.
All these are huge projects that will take a long time to realise. The environmental impacts may supersed the economic advantages and so the govt of the day may not approve such projects.
Did you type this to make yourself feel better? Well you can keep promoting your lies. Igbo's are wiser and know better. Igbo's push and support the Onitsha river port and Obuaku sea port, i hope this post i quoted help igbo's see how far some elements are willing to go in other not to see a sea or river port materialize in Igbo land and south east.
Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by loopman: 11:23am On Mar 15, 2017
Igbo's should be pushing for Onitsha river port and Obuaku sea port, both Cities of Onitsha and Aba are the only two cities that can successfully sustain a thriving sea port in SE/SS that will have maximum patronage and make profits, moreover Igbo land needs direct access to the world we should not be at the mercy of any ethnic group or region we are blessed beyond dependence. We all noticed how some ethnic group consistently chorused against the dredging of the Niger River to avoid Igbo's access to the sea so why promote the interest of people who do not mean well for us instead we should be promoting Igbo land in general

There is no Igbo city that opens to the sea. The Igbo nation is landlocked.
You are free to insult me to your heart satisfaction, it does not obliterate the fact I stated.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by myplaydiary: 12:17pm On Mar 15, 2017
loopman:

There is not Igbo city that opens to the sea. The Igbo nation is landlocked.
You are free to insult me to your heart satisfaction, it does not obliterate the fact I stated.
Why should i insult you? I only have to draw your attention to facts that you are ignorant of... If you say the south east is land locked now answer these questions it will help you discover the truth about SE being land locked or not.
Does Onitsha not have a river port sitting on the river banks of the river Niger?
Where does the river Niger empty into?
Have multinationals and other companies not used the niger river to get heavy equipments from the Atlantic to the Onitsha port?
If the Obuaku seaport does not empty into the Atlantic why was the sea port propose there by several previous administrations?
I hope you typed your post out of sincere ignorance and not out of hate that you have for igbo's in SS/SE.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by Adaodogwu(f): 12:32pm On Mar 15, 2017
following

1 Like

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by Arch1: 12:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
Dude, the South East is landlocked. QED.

The Niger River's source is in the Guinea Highlands and it discharges into the Gulf of Guinea in the Niger Delta. Because the River Niger passes through Niger Republic and Mali, doesn't stop both countries from being landlocked; because the Niger River passes through South East Nigeria doesn't stop the region from being landlocked also.
myplaydiary:
Why should i insult you? I only have to draw your attention to facts that you are ignorant of... If you say the south east is land locked now answer these questions it will help you discover the truth about SE being land locked or not.
Does Onitsha not have a river port sitting on the river banks of the river Niger?
Have multinationals and other companies not used the niger river to get heavy equipments from the Atlantic to the Onitsha port?
If the Obuaku seaport does not empty into the Atlantic why was the sea port propose there by several previous administrations?
I hope you typed your post out of sincere ignorance and not out of hate that you have for igbo's in SS/SE.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by loopman: 12:43pm On Mar 15, 2017
myplaydiary:

A River port is NOT a sea port - Fact.
The river coming into Onitsha is not exclusively in control of Igbos, it can be dammed before getting there.

Show me the Obuaku SEA port on the map - it is still a river that only passes through non igbo speaking area before it empties into the sea.

SHOW ME ONE IGBO SPEAKING TOWN THAT OPENS TO A BEACH.

Try as hard as you want, Ibo land is simply landlocked.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by loopman: 12:45pm On Mar 15, 2017
Arch1:
Dude, the South East is landlocked. QED.

The Niger River's source is in the Guinea Highlands and it discharges into the Gulf of Guinea in the Niger Delta. Because the River Niger passes through Niger Republic and Mali, doesn't stop both countries from being landlocked; because the Niger River passes through South East Nigeria doesn't stop the region from being landlocked also.

I didn't even see this post before making mine.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by tysontim(m): 12:55pm On Mar 15, 2017
loopman:

I didn't even see this post before making mine.

If a lie is repeated often it tends to become true. Obuaku seaport has been looked into by expert and they have certified that a sea port can be built there, the only problem is it will cost a lot of money.

See

"Onyeama said the energy city would be sited at Obuaku, Ukwa West Local Government Area, and would be a conglomeration of the company’s three other operations in the oil and gas sector.

He noted that the company had commenced discussions with the state government through the Commissioner for Petroleum Resources, Chief Don Ubani.

He said that the hope of completing government proposed seaport at Obuaku would facilitate greater growth in commerce in the oil and gas sector of the state.

“It would also position Abia as the nerve centre of industrial activities in the eastern states since ship would berth at the port."

Source : http://dailypost.ng/2014/01/28/techno-oil-plans-energy-city-abia/

1 Like

Re: Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South by tysontim(m): 12:58pm On Mar 15, 2017
On Obuaku

On the Abia State Seaport

The governor has initiated efforts to link Aba to the sea through the development of the Obuaku City Port.

The governor said groundwork has been done on Obuako port, and work will soon begin. This will give a great boost to Aba
as the commercial hub of the South East and South South.
http://www.abiastatenews.com/2016/06/gov-ikpeazu-promises-to-link-abia-state.html?m=1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FAAC Shares N676.40bn July Allocation To FG, States, Lgs / 2015: CPC Wants Sanusi As Presidential Candidate / Ministry Of Information Fails To Account For N561.6m - Reports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.