Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? (27967 Views)

5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / What Job Can I Get With A Pass Degree In Maths/Statistics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Adebowale89(m): 9:03am On Mar 15, 2017
spaceshipz:

Help the OP, who Marxism epp, abeg park well joor. Person dey talk about finding job, do u know if he has money for a start up?
Abeg carry your Marxism dey go.

he need to help himself with his mindset before anyone could help him. read his post and see when he finished serving

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Grammywinner: 9:28am On Mar 15, 2017
Goodmorning Fam! I really I'm blown away by all the love and support y'all have shown me and my kind. Plus I never imagined this thread would make it to Nairaland's front page.

As for the aspect of going into Entrepreneurship, I've thought about it, but as y'all know, capital is sometimes a problem. I have something I'm doing at the moment, a small job that takes me out everyday. The pay ain't much though. I do Freelance Writing once in awhile, but as y'all also know the epileptic power supply here in Nigeria deters me from building a career in Writing.

Above all having a lot of Philosophy graduates who've made it big for themselves comment on this thread gives me hope that regardless of my discipline being belittled by most Industry CEOs and Nigerians in diaspora, I and my kind can still make it to the top of the food chain. If we think right and develop ourselves.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by XaintJoel20: 9:46am On Mar 15, 2017
Zulu212:
YES

I know my people.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by AlphaT1(m): 10:25am On Mar 15, 2017
Grammywinner:
Good day Fam! I go by the name Macquis. I studied Philosophy and graduated from the University in the year 2014, went for the compulsory youth service in the year that followed. Ever since then, getting a job has been quite a tale for another day. By the way, I graduated with a 2.1. I've applied for a number of jobs but haven't been able to secure any.

I really don't understand, maybe it's as a result of the course I studied in the University. I keep suspecting that though, not entirely sure. The purpose of creating this thread anyway is to seek the guidance of Nairalanders who may have been in my shoes as regards studying my course (Philosophy) or known someone, preferably a Nigerian, who studied my course. I would like to know the sought of jobs I should apply for or better still the Industry where my skill and degree would be best appreciated.

Thanks for checking out this thread. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

My brother don't let anyone talk you down coz you read a particular course, your doing well in life is a function of what you can do. The question is how have you prepared yourself in what you can do? What are your skills? I was doing well as a practicing pharmacist but I didn't stop there just because I read pharmacy and was practicing it, I took occupational safety courses, got some professional certifications, did an MSc in occupational Safety and Health, did an advance PGD in Epidemiology, took a maritime emergency preparedness and response certificate etc etc. I switched completely to the maritime sector and the pharmacy became an alternative source of income. Some of my friends still ponder and keep asking what is a pharmacist doing in safety n maritime field.

Prepare yourself, get some skills and certifications and no one would even remember you read philosophy.

I went for a particular interview and after engaging the panel in a discussion on my papers and skills, they told me I was over-qualified, that I could only be hired as a management staff bt at d moment dat vacancy is not available so they will hire me as a consultant..... There is nothing like preparing oneself for the future by acquiring skills.

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by jospepper(m): 10:29am On Mar 15, 2017
Thank you Op for this thread. I have learned a lot from the responses of fellow Nairalanders. Though I read Textile Science and Technology, I can relate to your concerns. The answers I have seen here have opened my eyes to opportunities outside my course since there are no ready jobs in my field of study.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by EdosGreat(m): 11:50am On Mar 15, 2017
[quote author=Grammywinner post=54586099]
Thank you so much for your comment sir. I'll see to getting myself at least a professional certificate to complement to what I already have. But in the meantime, is there any Industry I should turn to in terms of

You can work comfortably in embassy.
If you must further your studies then go for International Relations or Language and Linguistics. In such a case you have the capability to speak a minimum of three foreign major languages in addition to your English speaking language, believe me you will touch the sky with your hands.

You can then work in a Refugees' camps (Language department) under UN in any European country.

You can also work in a police station in a non English speaking countries like Italy, Spain, Malta, Switzerland, etc as an interpreter.

Don't be a mediocre, I am an Economist (a Classicallist). Economics was castrated from Philology by Adam Smith, some other social sciences disciplines (Political Science, Business Administration, Business Management, Banking and Finance, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, Managerial Science, etc) which form the branches of Economics today were all castrated from Economics and Economics had its root in Philosophy.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by pweetyoge(f): 12:19pm On Mar 15, 2017
Grammywinner:

Wow! it's really nice hearing from someone who studied Philosophy. I really admire your drive, and would take to everything you've adviced.
exactly..let the philosopher king in u wake up..i wish u d best dear

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by ozoebuka1(m): 12:20pm On Mar 15, 2017
QuietHammer:
Find a comfy chair, place it in a cool spot. Sit and think on. grin philosopher!

Baba, you better go find better hand work like carpentry.
Here is another option, get your masters, Doctorate and become a lecturer. Teach students who will also come here to ask the same question. We would give them the same advice and the cycle would continue.
Lol...you no well I swear... grin grin
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by pweetyoge(f): 12:21pm On Mar 15, 2017
CzarChris:
Babe if I say I love you now, all these jealous nairalnders will say I too like woman.
My ex studied philosophy, and she was the most intellectually engaging and emotionally mature girl I ever dated. It was just tribal differences prevented us from tieing the knot.
Like someone said earlier philosophy is like a strong foundational course, so as a philosopher you need to upgrade to be really relevant.
Even in engineering back then we did philosophy of science in our 1st year and a PhD holder is a doctor of philosophy, that is he/she knows the subject of study from the roots. I am fascinated by philosophers.
my brother dt is d spirit o..philosophers shud excel in any chosen career
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by pweetyoge(f): 12:28pm On Mar 15, 2017
1metre:
love your Rene Descartes quote. Studied philosophy in UNN also, but doing well in my business. Op should apply the principles of epistemology (theory of knowledge) in practice, u won't need employment.
well done great mind...

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by pweetyoge(f): 12:29pm On Mar 15, 2017
MISSCONGENIALITY:
studied philosophy and psychology at the same university and I'm confident I can work anywhere cos those two courses are good. Didn't get the law I applied for but I got to love my combination.
People should stop going to school just because they want to get job. It will frustrate u if u don't get one soon enough.
Greeetings to u super lioness.
Greetings to u too dear..Css no b moi moi for Unn..well done
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Homoviator: 1:20pm On Mar 15, 2017
Nice one fellow philosophers! I deem it right for us to have a WhatsApp group where we can share our career experiences, as this will motivate others still struggling to fit in into the 'favour market'.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by africandictator(m): 1:33pm On Mar 15, 2017
d4guy:

There are jobless lawyers, they full street .
I swear some of them have cobwebs in their chambers..

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Mar 15, 2017
Grammywinner:
Good day Fam! I go by the name Macquis. I studied Philosophy and graduated from the University in the year 2014, went for the compulsory youth service in the year that followed. Ever since then, getting a job has been quite a tale for another day. By the way, I graduated with a 2.1. I've applied for a number of jobs but haven't been able to secure any.

I really don't understand, maybe it's as a result of the course I studied in the University. I keep suspecting that though, not entirely sure. The purpose of creating this thread anyway is to seek the guidance of Nairalanders who may have been in my shoes as regards studying my course (Philosophy) or known someone, preferably a Nigerian, who studied my course. I would like to know the sought of jobs I should apply for or better still the Industry where my skill and degree would be best appreciated.

Thanks for checking out this thread. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
I gained admission last year into university of Nigeria Nsukka to study philosophy but my
family members didn't allow me to go.They were saying that it would be hard to get a good job with philosophy,so i had to stay at home.Thank God i obeyed my themcheesycheesy...........op you can still do business nah or go get yourself a professional certificate
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 15, 2017
kriss27:
please where and how did get the diploma please
At Niit before I got into school.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Emmyk(m): 1:49pm On Mar 15, 2017
QuietHammer:
Find a comfy chair, place it in a cool spot. Sit and think on. grin philosopher!

Baba, you better go find better hand work like carpentry.
Here is another option, get your masters, Doctorate and become a lecturer. Teach students who will also come here to ask the same question. We would give them the same advice and the cycle would continue.
Savage! grin grin

@promisechild
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2017
BaEnki:

There won't be jobless Lawyers, they can still practice even without pay and be happy with with it, because they really love it. Besides, becoming a Lawyer entails you to have high IQ which transmit to adequate intelligence and brilliancy, everybody don't have that, I once have a secondary school mate who aspired to be a lawyer but had an abysmal 196 jamb score, he had to settle for something else's then.

So to your question, all the applicant can not be admitted even when you still performed very well, remember one Agbor will read of here? She wasn't admitted in OAU, though looking at her result, we can deduce that she's brilliant but she was competing with more brilliant student eg SirWeresmiley who was admitted to study the same course on merit.
Hi!
BaEnki;

I know you're wayy more brilliant than me jare smiley grin

Btw, have you started registration??
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by promisechild(m): 3:55pm On Mar 15, 2017
nobsalis:

u are a comedian
comedian as in?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by promisechild(m): 4:21pm On Mar 15, 2017
Emmyk:

Savage! grin grin

@promisechild
the op is a drunkman
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Rick9(m): 6:56pm On Mar 15, 2017
There's only 2 Discipline in the World; Philosophy and Others.

am out of here before all these shallow minded thinkers that know nothing about Philosophy drag me down to their level of reasoning.

@Op examine yourself discover your potentials, work towards it, with knowledge and wisdom you will excel , but put God first oh.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Rick9(m): 7:04pm On Mar 15, 2017
damosky12:

Thank you sir.

It's sad that many in our country don't know the unusual egregious importance of philosophy. That's why this country is as intellectually backward as it is. Philosophers are actually highly sought for in the media, administration, marketing and basically Law by those who know what it entails.

I am disappointed a philosophy graduate (a 2:1 graduate for that matter) will be asking a question like this? After all those years studying ALL branches of knowledge with the tool of LOGIC?

You should know what to do na. If many Nigerians are so ignorant about our discipline, why can't we educate them via our uncommon wherewithal and dexterity in all fields. Philosophers, as Plato said, are actually Kings.

Broz I swear de thing pain me oh, when I studied symbolic logic to the extreme, it made me appreciate that course better, As a Philosopher you must approach life from all angles. De kind Wisdom we gain in Philosophy eh can't be gained anywhere,
it's painful that this country don't know the usefulness of PHILOSOPHY that's why we are still where we are.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Emmyk(m): 7:05pm On Mar 15, 2017
promisechild:
the op is a drunkman
grin grin
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by kossyablaze(m): 7:45pm On Mar 15, 2017
pweetyoge:
I can relate..i studied Philosophy at the University of Nigeria. It came as a result of not getting Law my first degree. did that stop me after Nysc..NAH.... I took a training in Customer service since i adore the field and i am doing fine. I am nt saying it was easy, nah it was not..bt it is a normal course, it is quite enlightening, it broadens ur knowledge and besides when we allow those who know literally nothing about the course to talk us down. It gets to u, they tell u how it is an archaic course of study or how it is an abstract thing nd can not be used in the society. It makes me laugh. Cus Plato argues that philosopher kings should be the rulers as we aim to discover the ideal polis. To b honest, no course is the ultimate, everyone is fighting to succeed. No one will ask u what u studied bt will ask what you can do. Dnt sit n ponder, learn basic office tools..u cn work as a customer service agent n any related field. Or u go for a professional masters degree. I currently study international law. So never say never. These write up is a wake up call to all philosophers. Stop allowing sentiments n naysayers who know nothing abt philosophy have a say. Corgito Ego Sum...Esto Vir
madam how u dey?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by pweetyoge(f): 9:35pm On Mar 15, 2017
kossyablaze:
madam how u dey?
oga boss, i loyal
hw ur ministry?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Rick9(m): 9:39pm On Mar 15, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... a degree in philosophy... and asking this kind question?.... when you should be the one giving mind opening answers to such a question? Hmmm.....man with vision asking the blind to show him the way.

it's really painful
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by BaEnki(m): 3:54pm On Mar 16, 2017
SirWere:

BaEnki;

I know you're wayy more brilliant than me jare smiley grin

Hehe you're kidding mecheesy
Btw, have you started registration??

Yes how about you?
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by kossyablaze(m): 5:47pm On Mar 16, 2017
pweetyoge:

oga boss, i loyal
hw ur ministry?
e dey alright
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:57pm On Mar 16, 2017
Adebowale89:

God bless u my sister, I'm also a serving Corper who's passing out next mth but I've already set my goals immediately I graduated from university

he had 2:1...he had 1:1 bla bla

he didn't know that when God is abt to open one file, grace matters not grade and even the person mindset determines. positivism theory thought me that
I will be done with service by next month too.
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 10:04pm On Mar 16, 2017
pweetyoge:

Greetings to u too dear..Css no b moi moi for Unn..well done
I tell you my sister
Tuanks grin
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by Adebowale89(m): 3:18am On Mar 17, 2017
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I will be done with service by next month too.

oh congrats in adv
Re: What Can I Do With A Degree In Philosophy? by damosky12(m): 6:25pm On Mar 19, 2017
There is a thread for philosophy graduates and undergraduates... Here https://www.nairaland.com/2463444/nairaland-philosophy-students

Besides, has anyone created a Whatsapp group?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Amarachi Okafor, UNIZIK Student Painter Attracts Government Attention / Mechanical Engineers Forum / 30 Aba Shoemakers Sent To China For Training Start Their Practical Classes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.