Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,052 members, 7,852,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:39 PM

Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly (625 Views)

Nigerians React To Saraki Sneaking Into The National Assembly / Charms Recovered From Thugs Who Invaded The National Assembly. See Photos / Dino Melaye's Ex Classmates Visit Him At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by lightblazingnow(m): 7:26am On Mar 15, 2017
Stop causing friction between me and National Assembly members - Buhari warns appointees

But for President Muhammadu Buhari’s intervention, the Senate was ready to boot out Colonel Hameed Ali (rtd), the comptroller-general of customs.

The president, it was learnt, had further threatened to sacrifice any of his appointee who attempts to cause a friction between him and the National Assembly.

Hameed Ali reportedly ran to Saraki after Buhari's intervention
Vanguard reports that Buhari warned his appointees not to overheat the polity by creating avoidable friction between the executive and the legislature arms of government.

Ali later met with Saraki late Tuesday, March 14 after the latter had earlier written to the Senate that he would not be present at the Wednesday session to answer questions from the lawmakers.

At the time of this report, however, it was not known if Ali would now honour the invitation by the Senate.

The report said the meeting between Buhari, Senate President Bukola Saraki and Speaker Yakubu Dogara was called at the instance of the former who pleaded with the lawmakers and tried to see how to resolve the looming crisis.

According to the report, President Buhari was not comfortable with the language of some of his appointees and he particularly told the customs boss that whoever loves him will not at this point in time orchestrate any scuttle between the executive and the legislature.

This was why, sensing the danger from Buhari, Ali ran to Saraki and reportedly regretted not honouring the Senate’s invitation, saying he was bereaved.

Ali was summoned over a new policy that wants owners of cars in Nigeria to have custom duties and the senators wanted him to appear in the official uniform of the Nigerian Customs Service which he had never worn since taking up the appointment to head the parastatal.

Senate spokesperson, Abdullahi Sabi, had said: “The subject matter for which we are summoning is not dire but critical to Nigerians.

“We stand by the Nigerian people. The primary purpose of government is the welfare and security of Nigerians.

“Any policy that infringes on the welfare and security of Nigerians is not a policy. The Nigerian Customs is being run in a way that Nigerians will pay for their inefficiencies.

“You have done everything to buy a vehicle to give comfort to your family and somebody comes and tells you this – where is your customs duty?

“This is why the Senate is not in support of the policy. It’s anti-people.”

Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by FirstCounsel(m): 7:38am On Mar 15, 2017
Absolute impudence from the Colonel. Even though I have issues with the credibility of this Senate COL. ALI should come down from his high horse....
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by donweasley(m): 7:42am On Mar 15, 2017
Mr Ali, is it not to wear uniform?
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by menxer: 7:47am On Mar 15, 2017
Some people sef

What is it with wearing a uniform that is part of one's profession?

A colonel?

Is he a civilian colonel?

A very unnecessary issue.
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by Jabioro: 7:51am On Mar 15, 2017
He needed to be checkmate
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by shukuokukobambi: 7:54am On Mar 15, 2017
That's very good. What was he feeling like? angry

I said this some days ago

shukuokukobambi:
Its on this Man's case I'll know if our NASS have teeth and can bite. Let's see if they'll show they have power beyond padding budgets and inflating procurements angry

I'm glad that the Senate didn't disappoint me cool
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by DocHMD: 8:02am On Mar 15, 2017
But why should I pay customs for a vehicle that was manufactured and imported 10 years ago into nigeria because some corrupt Customs officers refused to do their jobs at the borders? Doesn't it sound sickening?
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by Pierohandsome: 8:10am On Mar 15, 2017
I thought he ws feeling arrogant.It is only in this country that political appointees will be disrespecting the NASS,what impudence.He thinks PMB is clueless Jonathan were corruption and impunity is tolerated.They will finish misbehaving and start running around to beg,is it because our NASS is too tolerant?let them try all this nonsense in countries like Brazil or other western countries and see the consequence
Re: Buhari Warned Appointee​s: Stop The Friction With The National Assembly by Luckylife(m): 8:13am On Mar 15, 2017
Nigeria need strong institutions man by smart strong men not military order and shoot mentality .

(1) (Reply)

Senate Rejects Magu Confirmation - WHAT NEXT / FG To Disburse N500bn Paris Club Refund This Week / Serd The Current Exchange Rate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.