Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,091 members, 7,811,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians (12905 Views)

Where Can I Buy An Automatic Compressor For My Camry 2008? / Car Compressor - Manual Or Automatic? / Man Added External Air Conditioner And Generator To His Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by faith2ogesco(m): 7:57am On Apr 04, 2019
hi guys please am having issues with my A.C. the light just suddenly started blinking. if i put it on when the car is idle, it can stall to engine to stopping at times. when looking under the hood, i found out the compressor is seizing. hence as its trying to stall the system, the system disengages it. two mechanics say its a manual compressor. one said its a manual compressor with sensor that my car has (toyota camry 2009 xle v6). i find that hard to believe unless the compressor has been changed before.

my OBD doesnt bring up any issues when i scan. both mechanics say the compressor is gone tho. that i have to change it, possibly the condenser, check for leaks, flush etc. i had changed the relay at first thinking that eas the issue but it didnt work. my question now is how do i know if the compressor in my car is manual or automatic
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by funkymeky: 2:22am On Feb 01, 2020
Please are you in PH?
Inception:
To give my candid opinion:
Stick with the manufacture's specification. When the AC of my Camry went bad (2007 4 cylinder), i immediately joined the bandwagon of 'manual compressor the Last well well...' Well i changed it to that of 2004 Toyota Camry(same 2AZ engine). Then to Peugeot(When the Vibration Became too much to bear, even after the solenoid connection setup).
Well after the Peugeot one failed(twice), I had to Buzz Gazzuz to help me out, and he sourced an ultra-clean Automatic compressor off a japan spec 2AZ engine(no warranty! that guy too like his reputation sha!). Got it over to PH, Fixed it, changed my condenser, flushed the system,Vacuumed the system, filled with gas and GBAM! the car is back to Factory spec(even in the Hot weather, AC freezes) and most importantly, no vibrations.
It will cost you when doing it right the first time, But it will be the only time.

One more thing :
Gazzuz is the man!
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by MusaDanladi1: 11:19am On Feb 01, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
thank you inception.

Here are my views as regards variable displacement compressors (automatic)

In the corrola 2007-11 south african spec, what I have noticed is between 70-100 thousand kilometers of use, the compressor fails.

On the kia/hyundai products bought brand new in nigeria, the compressor fails between 36-70,000 kilometers of use

for the particular car in question camry 07-12 I have seen a couple that were bought brand new fail before they hit 100,000kms.

For cars bought from cold climates like Canada their a/c systems tend to last much longer due to lack of use by the original owner and I have seen toyota camry @ 295,000 miles with stock AC parts.

The VDC compressor is new technology, but not very reliable.

Now here is the problem. The VDC compressor does not tolerate a contaminated system, and the strainer for the solenoid that operates the swash plate will get clogged very quickly and the compressor will shut down.

When a VDC compressor fails, if the system is clean, a replacement of the compressor and condenser should ordinarily fix the problem.

But when the system is dirty you will have serious issues, and more parts will have to be replaced. A replacement of the evaporator condenser, and compressor becomes necessary, with a proper flush of all pipes.

Most technicians prefers to work with parts that can be tested by hand before parting with money. As a result they frown at the VDC compressor because ordinarily it can only be tested when installed in a vehicle (VDC compressors can be tested on a bench with a motor and a belt to create torque)

Also the thought of bringing down the dashboard in most cases makes the technician embrace the manual fixed displacement compressor.

The manual. FDC compressor can tolerate a lot of dirt in a system for a long time without breaking down. I am presently working on a hilux made in 2014, at 98,000km (mechanical work) but I peaked into the a.c system, and on discharging a little gas from the high side, my fingers became very black. Note the a.c cools perfectly.

There is no way of knowing how long a compressor has been used by just looking at it, for the manual FDC blocking the discharge point while spinning the pulley could give a perception of the amount of compression one would get from a compressor.

Another issue with the VDC is no seller in the ladipo market will give you a guarantee on a used compressor. There is distrust between seller and buyer, seller always feels the technician would cut corners, while buyer feels he was sold a defective part, it does not always end well in most cases.

If your vehicle uses a VDC (automatic compressor) and it fails, have it at the back of your mind that a new replacement will be the best option, but it comes a pricey tag, the cheapest brand new VDC starts from 100k for the look alike chinko versions, and gets to about 250k for some OEMs.

So it's more of cut your coat according to your size.

If you can afford it and you are ready to do it the right way, go for the best/ OEM.

Hope this helps.

Gazzuzz

Sai GAZZUZZ grin cool
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by anyibig: 2:44am On May 08, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
thank you inception.

Here are my views as regards variable displacement compressors (automatic)

In the corrola 2007-11 south african spec, what I have noticed is between 70-100 thousand kilometers of use, the compressor fails.

On the kia/hyundai products bought brand new in nigeria, the compressor fails between 36-70,000 kilometers of use

for the particular car in question camry 07-12 I have seen a couple that were bought brand new fail before they hit 100,000kms.

For cars bought from cold climates like Canada their a/c systems tend to last much longer due to lack of use by the original owner and I have seen toyota camry @ 295,000 miles with stock AC parts.

The VDC compressor is new technology, but not very reliable.

Now here is the problem. The VDC compressor does not tolerate a contaminated system, and the strainer for the solenoid that operates the swash plate will get clogged very quickly and the compressor will shut down.

When a VDC compressor fails, if the system is clean, a replacement of the compressor and condenser should ordinarily fix the problem.

But when the system is dirty you will have serious issues, and more parts will have to be replaced. A replacement of the evaporator condenser, and compressor becomes necessary, with a proper flush of all pipes.

Most technicians prefers to work with parts that can be tested by hand before parting with money. As a result they frown at the VDC compressor because ordinarily it can only be tested when installed in a vehicle (VDC compressors can be tested on a bench with a motor and a belt to create torque)

Also the thought of bringing down the dashboard in most cases makes the technician embrace the manual fixed displacement compressor.

The manual. FDC compressor can tolerate a lot of dirt in a system for a long time without breaking down. I am presently working on a hilux made in 2014, at 98,000km (mechanical work) but I peaked into the a.c system, and on discharging a little gas from the high side, my fingers became very black. Note the a.c cools perfectly.

There is no way of knowing how long a compressor has been used by just looking at it, for the manual FDC blocking the discharge point while spinning the pulley could give a perception of the amount of compression one would get from a compressor.

Another issue with the VDC is no seller in the ladipo market will give you a guarantee on a used compressor. There is distrust between seller and buyer, seller always feels the technician would cut corners, while buyer feels he was sold a defective part, it does not always end well in most cases.

If your vehicle uses a VDC (automatic compressor) and it fails, have it at the back of your mind that a new replacement will be the best option, but it comes a pricey tag, the cheapest brand new VDC starts from 100k for the look alike chinko versions, and gets to about 250k for some OEMs.

So it's more of cut your coat according to your size.

If you can afford it and you are ready to do it the right way, go for the best/ OEM.

Hope this helps.

Gazzuzz

Good day sir. I've a toyota camry 2008 Nigerian used I want to buy, the ac has stopped working, according to the seller, he said the gas got finished, that all I have to do is just refill it, deep down I know its more than that. Also during inspection of the car, so part of the ac pipes has been welded, and the seller said it hasn't been long he bought a brand new compressor. Please, do you think you can fix?? Will you advice me to buy the car??
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:38am On May 08, 2020
anyibig:

Good day sir. I've a toyota camry 2008 Nigerian used I want to buy, the ac has stopped working, according to the seller, he said the gas got finished, that all I have to do is just refill it, deep down I know its more than that. Also during inspection of the car, so part of the ac pipes has been welded, and the seller said it hasn't been long he bought a brand new compressor. Please, do you think you can fix?? Will you advice me to buy the car??

coupled with the diagnosis report you sent on WhatsApp that's a big NO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by PipTick: 4:30pm On May 10, 2020
I'm not a car guru but I converted my failed automatic compressor to the manual one as advised.

I don't regret it. I've been using the manual compressor in my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder for almost 2years without any trouble.

Moscow climate is what I get.

No change in engine sound, RPM or gas mileage.
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by ndidibabe(f): 12:25pm On May 16, 2020
PipTick:
I'm not a car guru but I converted my failed automatic compressor to the manual one as advised.

I don't regret it. I've been using the manual compressor in my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder for almost 2years without any trouble.

Moscow climate is what I get.

No change in engine sound, RPM or gas mileage.
Camry 2007?
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by PipTick: 5:52pm On May 16, 2020
ndidibabe:
Camry 2007?

1998 Nissan Pathfinder.

The op made reference to Camry.

1 Like

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by johnnykoko: 5:25pm On Jul 10, 2020
MusaDanladi1:

Sai GAZZUZZ grin cool

The cost for the VD compressor is mad sha. Just see from one OEM (Denso) and it does not include shipping or cost to fix.

Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by absam: 1:49am On Jan 31, 2021
In a nutshell, there us no fix/repair to an automatic compressor?
But on youtube, the automatic is fixable
Re: Camry Air Conditioner Automatic Compressor Conversion By Technicians by MOTIONTECH(m): 7:05pm On Jan 31, 2021
faith2ogesco:
hi guys please am having issues with my A.C. the light just suddenly started blinking. if i put it on when the car is idle, it can stall to engine to stopping at times. when looking under the hood, i found out the compressor is seizing. hence as its trying to stall the system, the system disengages it. two mechanics say its a manual compressor. one said its a manual compressor with sensor that my car has (toyota camry 2009 xle v6). i find that hard to believe unless the compressor has been changed before.

my OBD doesnt bring up any issues when i scan. both mechanics say the compressor is gone tho. that i have to change it, possibly the condenser, check for leaks, flush etc. i had changed the relay at first thinking that eas the issue but it didnt work. my question now is how do i know if the compressor in my car is manual or automatic
Contact Autologic, he would fix it for you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Car Mechanic, What Is The Most Strange Faults You Have Found On An Car? / Small Cars: Advantages And Disadvantages / Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.